Jackett saddened by Millwall relegation but backs Harris

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

EX-Millwall boss Kenny Jackett is saddened by the club's relegation but believes new manager Neil Harris is a "very good appointment".

Jackett led the Lions to the Championship in 2010 via the League One play-offs but stepped down after three seasons in the second tier.

Now in charge of Wolves, Jackett admits he feels sympathy for his former employers, who can no longer overtake fourth-bottom Rotherham.

Millwall travel to Molineux on the final day of the Championship season this weekend.

"I left Millwall two years ago so all of my focus is on Wolves but I had the best part of six really good years there," Jackett said.

"The people there were very good to me and I enjoyed my time there.

"Over the last two seasons I've kept in touch with quite a number of people there and I've seen others around on the circuit, as you do.

"Millwall have been in and around those relegation places for quite some time so they've known it was a possibility.

"They've been in there fighting for their lives which is an achievement and even a few weeks ago they made it very tight.

"I've kept in touch with people – and I think I always will – because I have fond memories of my time there and it's a really good club.

"We were delighted to go to Wembley three times in five years and we were successful in some really big games against massive clubs.

"I have certainly felt for the chairman and the board there including the chief executive Andy Ambler, who I know very well and have kept in touch with.

"So I'll always have sympathy with them like I would if things don't go well for my friends."

Harris was yesterday confirmed as the Lions' new permanent boss following a successful interim spell in the hotseat.

The 37-year-old will be assisted by former teammate Dave Livermore.

Jackett, speaking to Sports Mole, added: "In my time at Millwall, Neil was an excellent professional. He's the record goalscorer and will know what makes Millwall tick.

"He's been working away in the background with the U21s side for a couple of years, which will be good for him and stand him in good stead.

"He also has Dave there who is similar to him – a popular ex-player who has been working at youth level over the past few years.

"They are very good appointments by the club and they will do well. In terms of Neil who was a player there for myself, you won't have seen a better professional."

20 thoughts on “Jackett saddened by Millwall relegation but backs Harris

• April 30, 2015 at 18:00

Dont want your pity jackett..dont want to here your praise.and i really dont want to here about your best mate andrex..YOUR HISTORY!!!!

• April 30, 2015 at 18:21

Nice words from a nice fella, who i believe was an honest one too, he never left us in the lurch, he never left us for a better club, he left us because he honestly ran out of ideas and didn't know what to do to make us better and he was open about it... Still want to beat you on your own turf this weekend though.

• April 30, 2015 at 18:30

@Buster: I also think that the fighting at Wembley in the semi final may have had something to do with his decision.

• May 1, 2015 at 11:04

@lennie the lion:

Those "fans" at Wembley certainly made Kenny's decision easier for him.

As for the first poster on this thread, you're an embarrassment. Kenny is a Millwall legend and deserving of our respect.

• April 30, 2015 at 21:04

@Jim28: you seem to have forgotten what ku did for the club, 3 times in five years at Wembley, we had never gone beyond a semi final play off in god knows how many attempts, and this man took us to two finals, how fickle are you, best manager since McGhee . Show the guy some respect, he left because the chairman would not match his beliefs.

• May 1, 2015 at 01:43

@dady71: i see you only rememered the 3 wembley games .must be one of those poxy glory hunters...you seemed to forgotton the shitholes they call grounds that all 400 of us went to.i bet you hand picked your home games aswell .fans like you can f*** off

• May 1, 2015 at 14:23

@dady71: KJ definitely our best manager since John "the doc" Docherty ... and of course the incomparable Benny Fenton. Agree with SE16 wall too about the semi final v Wigan. I was about 15 yards away from the "trouble" and it wasn't nice. What got me was that it involved, what, about two maybe three dicks and they engulf others into their drunken idiocy. Everyone else around me, and that includes all sorts, young, old, passive, shouty-sweary etcetera, all joined in wanting them to stop, get chucked out, silenced (basically), so we could concentrate on what we were there for to WATCH FOOTBALL. Of course, because it was Millwall, we were dragged through the mud for it. That's not surprising is it, given our history, and as anyone can tell you - reputations stick, no matter WHAT you do afterwards. So if that was one of the reasons why KJ decided enough was enough (coupled with the playing personnel he'd got at the time, plus he'd been their 6 years which these days is a fair old stint), nobody could blame him. Think he's proven he's as good as you get by what he's done at Wolves. He hasn't spent millions on doing what he's done (ok, so maybe he's had more dosh than Berylson would give him) but even so, it's all about getting the right people. You can spend a fortune on anyone if you have the money, but end up with a turkey (PAUL GODDARD anyone ... my god I'm STILL after ALL THESE YEARS annoyed that he's our record signing £800,000 of cr*p). Jim28 - you want to grow a pair matey - what the f*ck did you think people would make of such a crass statement?! The dislike button must be worn out.

• May 1, 2015 at 04:00

@Jim28: what more do you want from a manager.your stupid fault if you were one of the 400

• May 1, 2015 at 07:55

@scottwall: when is it been a crime to travel the country supporting your team..you should try it once..p****

• May 1, 2015 at 04:47

@Jim28: You come out with some great football observations many times that I appreciate. He certainly didn't help develop youth, despite the good years. But your repeated defense of the hooligan element cannot be excused. I hope you are aware you are speaking of a man who is genuinely a gentleman in KJ and, in agreement with Lennie's observation that he may have left because of the FA semi thugs (and loss of revenue/signing of Wood), is very real. Are you aware of that?

• May 1, 2015 at 07:51

@SE14: when i said the 400 i meant the travellers that go to other poxy stadiums apart from wembley..are you seriously saying all travellers are the ones that kicked of at wembley..because your way of.and i would like to know where in my post did i say it was a good idea to make a clown of yourself on national tv..cos i didn't...
        has for that being the reason why he left.not in a million years..he had bought millwall as far as he could..void of true backing from jb & andrex..those 3 would make anybody jog on..puncheon(no backing).wood(no backing).he must of been sick of getting players like hulse..

• April 30, 2015 at 18:22

Always rated Kenny but please tell us its not true that you told the chairman to hire him .

• April 30, 2015 at 18:44

Allways liked KJ done a great job here. U must be saddened all that good work you did was f***** up by people who couldn't run a p*** up in a brewery.

• April 30, 2015 at 19:23

Good try Kenny (and kind words) but,
    If you think we are going to roll over and hand over three points to help you out,
    you are having a laugh mate...lol.

• April 30, 2015 at 19:41

Cheers KJ, any chance you can lend us Afobe next season!

• May 1, 2015 at 00:18

Truthfully with the budget at Wolves he should have done better. No doubt a nice guy but has limits as a manager

• May 1, 2015 at 07:13

managers can only manage well if the board supports them with money .....how many " money " signings did Jacket have ? his record for us with bargain bucket players was as good as anyone could hope for ......I give him credit and I hope he has a great future

• May 1, 2015 at 09:19

Nice one Kenny.
    You will alawys be more than welcome at the Den.
    As you say friends.
    Top Man.

• May 1, 2015 at 10:08

Good manager that gave us a few good years of entertaining football, I'll always applaud the guy when he comes back to the Den. Never once did I hear KJ bad mouth our club or fans, shame other managers don't follow his example.