Millwall owner as committed as ever after snubbing interest

JOHN Berylson has reiterated his commitment to Millwall after the club's five-year stay in the Championship came to an end.

Berylson this week rejected advances from a potential buyer for the Lions because he believes he has unfinished business at The Den.

Millwall's aim in League One next season will be to bounce straight back up – and Berylson hopes the club will return to the second tier in better shape under Neil Harris.

"I have to believe that we can build a better Millwall in League One, or else I should leave and not invest another pound," the chairman said.

"I want whatever we build to last and not be built with loan players. I want to find a way to do well for next year, the year after and the year after that.

"This can't be a one-year fix. If we get loan players, it should only be to plug a hole. Loan signings are not investments for the future.

"I'm excited about rebuilding and doing what I've wanted to do for years. Now we have a manager who is just as excited about that as I am.

"The two things that I'm most excited about at the moment are Neil and the way we are now going to recruit players."

Berylson is regularly hassled by lawyers acting on behalf of wealthy consortiums looking to invest in English football – and recently swatted away another approach.

He revealed: "I had an enquiry for the club this week – it wasn't a formal offer so I was able to refuse it without talking to the board – and I stomped on it before it got anywhere.

"I've had a few bites over the past two or three months and I think buyers have seen that we've been struggling and assumed they might get a deal.

"But that's not going to happen – this club isn't for sale. I've told them to go buy something else, thanks very much."

31 thoughts on “Millwall owner as committed as ever after snubbing interest

• April 30, 2015 at 09:20

Well I'm pleased you are commited to this football club, giving NH & DL the managers job I believe is the way forward as well as investment in youth through the whole club, maybe pay to get a solid defender on board and have a clear out of some dead wood we have hanging around at the moment, so keep splashing the cash JB and restruct the whole club from top to bottom, Good luck in league 1, I can sense positive changes coming to Millwall with a good young first team pushing for automatic promotion. COYL's

• April 30, 2015 at 22:55

Wish he had sold...hopefully it is a business ploy to push upthe price a bit....other wise get ready for non league

• April 30, 2015 at 09:21

That's really good to hear JB, seeing as I have literally just renewed my Season Ticket for next year.
    As you say, we have been far to depended on loan players and need to start utilising our youth setup. With Bomber and Livers in charge, this will definitely happen.

• April 30, 2015 at 09:22

Please do NOT ever sell the club JB, not yet and not for many years to come! I would love to see your face smiling, sitting back smoking a cigar while watching the Lions entertain Man United in the Premiership at the Den in front of a packed house because you so deserve it!

• April 30, 2015 at 10:04

Early days, we still have Saturdays game too go, but all the speak sounds good but most of what has been said can only happen if Bomber can assemble the right squad to do a job in Division 1, I don't disbelieve JB but if a good offer was on the table I am sure he would accept it (his a business man).

Bomber needs first to off load the players that he will not be needing and this will free up some cash to sign players that can bring something to us which is better than what we have at the moment, also JB will also free up money so that Bomber can do his job.

• April 30, 2015 at 10:05

As Bomber said about relegation - 'we're disappointed, not despondent'.
    As we face the coming season in L1, JB seems as committed as ever. As an undoubtedly clever man and an astute businessman, I am sure he will have learnt from the mistakes that have been made. He has always come across as someone who has our best interests at heart. Some might want a sugar daddy to come along, but that ends in tears more often than not; all that glistens is not gold; look at our last manager!!! With JB at the helm and NH in charge of the team, I feel confident the club is in the hands of people who put Millwall first.

• April 30, 2015 at 10:14

I would rather us be in the Conference than see this club sold to a corrupt foreign organisation.This is about our football club NOT money! Our passion & pride can't be bought.....

• April 30, 2015 at 10:36

@the verminhater: must remind you jb is not from bermondsey..hes one of these foriegners you talk of..and supposely the interested party was Bill Gates would you still be against it.

• April 30, 2015 at 10:51

to Jim28 have to do it this way something up with computer once again agree with you,on a minor matter love to see us revert back to royal blue,anyway well said Jim

• April 30, 2015 at 12:09

@Jim28: blaming.

• April 30, 2015 at 15:34

nice one Jim,hope to see at one of the northern fixtures,never sure when I get down to Rotherhithe all the best

• April 30, 2015 at 14:01

@Jim28: bill Gates messed up Eddies computer no good for millwall lol

• April 30, 2015 at 15:46

@Jim28: Im talking about the likes of far east investors.Birmingham & Cardiff fans were overjoyed when their clubs were sold to them,see if they feel the same now? I would rather be poor and still have an identity than be rich and be lifeless.

• April 30, 2015 at 10:37

How many clubs would come out of a relegation with this much positivity, only at Millwall......I am looking forward to next season, can't quite believe I am saying that before this season has ended in the way it has.

• April 30, 2015 at 11:34

I am not sure if a wealthy buyer came along willing to invest millions into the club then it may be what the club needs. Up till now there has been no money to spend on quality playerswho can take us up to the premiership. Other clubs have done it, Swansea did it. The only thing is we do not want asset strippers and tax dodgers.

• April 30, 2015 at 11:39

Good to hear JB still has still got his heart and hopefully money still in it.
    Time to draw a line under the last 3 s*** years of the championship. Would have hoped lessons have been learned at the top level and that when go back to the championship it will be managed better.
    Just invested in ST.
    All I ask for is a team that plays for the shirt. With a bit of bottle, that entertains and can we just once see more than 3 goals next season.
    Youngsters blooded at this level, contracts protected and in the dire situation where young players are poached, we get a decent sell on clause.

• April 30, 2015 at 11:59

Good to see some positive thoughts on the site. I do despair sometimes when I see the criticism that a few have levelled at JB who has done a pretty good job overall. Yes, we could argue that keeping IH so long was a bad move (and many said this months back), but let's be honest, it was a difficult call. He'd been given some extra time and money after the new year and it was by no means a ridiculous decision to wait and see if he could turn it round. Yes, I and many others had their doubts about IH but we didn't have a crystal ball and neither did JB. The man has expressed many times how committed he is to the club and to me he comes across as very sincere. If he were just in it for the development opportunities, as others have implied, I'm pretty sure he could have found easier ways to make a few bucks, ways that wouldn't incur the wrath of some pretty fervent locals and that wouldn't have actually cost him millions of pounds.

Good luck to Bomber and Livers and who knows, we could have an Ernie Howe / Bournemouth scenario to look forward to? We can but hope . . .

• April 30, 2015 at 11:59

Its incredible really that given we have just been relegated there is so much positivity around. I think that a lot of it is down to the fact that we now have a manager who really understands our club and isn't just into sound bites or clever meaningless utterances. Its also interesting that JB could try and sell the club judging from what he says about approaches that he has had but doesn't want to do so. Given the money he has spent and the mistakes he must now regret that is quite something and we are fortunate that he still believes in the club and wants to carry us forward. I would rather have him than any fly by night Eastern European who is here today and gone tomorrow. You might get an Abramovitch or a Demin but usually you end with a disaster -ask Pompey fans.

• April 30, 2015 at 12:07

Have just listened to Bomber being interviewed on Lions Player. I'm 100% certain he is the man for the job. Come on everybody get on board the train, get your season tickets for next year, and enjoy the ride. We are Millwall and we will be back better and stronger.

• April 30, 2015 at 12:20

JB has put a lot of his own money into this club and I for one am grateful because without his cash I think we would have sunk to Conference or worse. He is no 'mini Abramovich' a la Bournemouth, Brentford and Bristol City owners but you can see what that sort of money brings to a club our size or smaller.

I wanted to make a point about Loan players. I agree a team shouldn't be built on loans but you can't ignore them either if every other team plays that game of getting 2 or 3 'on-the-fringe' players from the PL. Look at the top end of the Championship and you can see what a difference good loan signings make. Kenny did this well, Wood, Kane, Townsend. I think we build on our young players going forward but we need to blend them with some experienced heads and also 3 really good season-long loans as well.

• April 30, 2015 at 14:07

@Glasshalffull: You seem to forget that under this chairman we have been relegated and relegation has been on the cards for at least the past three years. Not much money has been put into finding new players, the strategy has been wrong. Two terrible managerial appointments, failure to get rid of Holloway earlier to me is incompetence. I am not taken in by all the blarney from the board, they have flopped and lack ambition. A clear out is needed and money put into building a new team.

• April 30, 2015 at 13:02

I do not agree I think jb needs to sell up for the simple fact that he doesn't spend money to compete at a higher level such has the championship and talks about the premiership jb don't make me laugh yes he might spend to keep millwall going but it isn't good enough it's clear he doesn't have the money for players that can score 20+ the most we have spent on a player is £800,000 you see league 1 teams spending more we are a joke and going nowhere fast under jb and aa for the passed 3seasons we have just about stayed up and still he didn't change anything give Harris afew mill to bring in some quality if not then please go and take aa with you

• April 30, 2015 at 23:12

@Alan.H: Seems a number of Ambler "supporters" don't like your criticism of JB. Some people think JB is some sort of "messiah" because he is a "nice guy". He is incompetent and led by the nose by the likes of the hapless Ambler. JB is rarely seen at games and long term knowledge of Millwall is poor. Millwall needs a chairman who will invest a great deal into the clubs long term future.

• April 30, 2015 at 14:57

we can reduce our budget on wages considerably without losing quality - we have so manty players that hardly contributed to good perfomances - they can all go - - a smaller fit for purpose squad, getting younger players in on the low end of the wage scale - something intelligent like that !!!!!

• April 30, 2015 at 15:23

Like many others I would like to see JB sitting at the Den watching us Play Man Utd and getting a good return on his investment ( after all that's what we are ) I of course appreciate what he has done for Millwall and don't want to sound ungrateful but I actually agree with some of Alan Hs post . I am trying to think of the last time a club was promoted to the premiership that didn't have major investment , well major compared to what we invest in players ect ect . Its great to say lets do it the hard way but I think those days have long gone football now is unfortunately about money or lack of it most teams in our new home Division 1 probably spend as much if not more on players and wages than us and it seems to me we are now playing catch up .
    Its horrible to think the biggest gamble JB has taken financially was a couple of million pound on IH I just hope he gives Bomber & Dave the backing they need .

• April 30, 2015 at 16:24

JB got lucky with Harris he was brought in to sell season tickets and its worked ...luckily hes also done a fantastic job bringing back Real Wall he was only a stop gap appointment at first.......the optimism for the future is for Neil and our crop of youngsters......Berylson is not a football man.....money is his biggest love and the Sky money is his dream , saying that his advisors especially Ambler have been rubbish Kenny would still be our manager if he was backed 3 years ago.....lets see if Neil can bring in some quality players without going down the bargain basement route.......we all deserve better than the players weve had to put up with

• April 30, 2015 at 17:03

After I saw Neils interview today I got the hairs on the back of my neck stand up I got the feel that the good times are on there way back Neil as the energy and the passion to bring this club forward the youth will be involved and he will sign players who are proud to where the lions shirt so let's get behind the mighty lions and give them all how support no one likes us we don't care miiiiiiilllllllwaalllllllllllll

• April 30, 2015 at 23:30

You sound like a very decent person JB, money does make the world go round but ya can't buy loyalty and decency. I'm xcited bout the challenge ahead, let's make every post a winner and go at it with everything we got. Milllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• May 1, 2015 at 09:52

Massive thanks to JB , massive investment in the club and a very pleasant bloke, met him a few times and he makes time to speak to the fans.

On another note I really fear for us next season, people talk about coming straight back up..... Ain't guna happen unfortunately. Hope I am wrong I really do but it took us ages to get up last time and I thought we had a good team then, a lot better than what we have gone down with, and some of what we have gone down with ain't guna stay either.

I will be there next season cheering the lions on but anyone hoping for a top 2 finish next season is utterly bonkers.