Millwall boss not setting points target for final six games

MILLWALL are not setting a points target for survival – because Neil Harris believes "what will be, will be".

The Lions need a significant haul from their remaining six fixtures to give them a chance of staying up, but Harris says the club will "finish where we deserve to finish".

Rather than fixate over a specific total, Harris wants his players to focus solely on maintaining their recent high standards.

He said: "How long is a piece of string? We can chuck points totals around but we're chasing teams at the moment who have got more points than us.

"We're in a really difficult situation but we're getting better as a group all the time and we have to make sure we do what we can do, which is keeping performing.

"But the truth is we could win every game between now and the end of the season, and still not stay up.

"We'll see where it takes us and what will be, will be. We're not going to stay in the division or be relegated based on the last ten games of the season.

"League tables are decided over 46 games so, after 46 games, we'll finish where we deserve to finish."

The possibility of dropping down to League One despite finishing the season strongly could leave fans with mixed feelings over the summer.

But Harris added: "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. It's so important with six games to go that we keep doing what we're doing. I keep stressing that to the boys.

"We can only answer that question [whether it's been a positive end to the season] in six games' time."

10 thoughts on “Millwall boss not setting points target for final six games

• April 10, 2015 at 17:37

Not a supporter then???? Just a followers attitude is that!
      Millwall always stay optimistic and faithful until then end...whatever the end result may be.
      Come on man...where's ya spirit?
      Yes I clicked dislike!

• April 10, 2015 at 20:10

@lionindirtyyorkyland: been supporting Wall for 53 years. I think Bomber has been one of our best and loyal players over that period. I obviously wish him all success and want Millwall to stay in the Championship, but I am being realistic and will gladly eat humble pie if I'm proved wrong. And as for having'no opinion' the fact that I felt we were down is an opinion in itself.

• April 10, 2015 at 17:44

@wallchef: maybe it is relegation it certainly ain't Neil's fault. He's merely pointing out that it's out of our hands. The damage was done long ago and I personally think that had we have moved Holloway on sooner under Neil's leadership we would be mid table. Ffs back the bloke and don't be so negative

• April 10, 2015 at 19:23

@wallchef: how flippant.
      Admittedly I've long accepted relegation cause I believe we deserve it, not being defeatist just realistic.
      You haven't elaborated or even given anopinion. Come on fella get on board. What more do you want chopper to say? I personally find his interviews refreshingly honest without being patronising and without any false promises.
      Even if we drop you have to admit chopper has more than lifted the gloom.

• April 11, 2015 at 12:47

100% Millwall no matter what division we are in

• April 10, 2015 at 17:58

I dont care if we go down I believe we will come back up if we do go down not straight away but hopefully we do come back up straight away anyway MILLWALL till I die COYL let beat the drop have faith and hope

• April 10, 2015 at 23:20

Its more than likely relegation, so the finances will take a hit, but I think we have some promising young players, a few experienced ones that will stay (hopefully not Dunne), and I see a bright future if we can keep our heads above water from a money point of view. A successful run in Lge 1 will mean bigger gates than we have most weeks this year, so the glass is half full as far as I'm concerned.

• April 11, 2015 at 10:53

If (and I still have hope we don't) we do go down then I think Bomber should stay in charge. I think he would be absolutely right for Division One. No point paying out huge amount's for another manager who talks a lot and doesn't produce, we have already had a couple of those. Bomber I feel, knows what he and the players want and the two work well together. We have been a different team since he took over, if it's not broke then don't fix it.