Millwall goalkeeper: Harris has "big future" in management

DAVID Forde reckons Neil Harris has all the makings of a successful Millwall manager.

Forde says the former striker has "matured into the role" since his appointment on an interim basis last month.

The club legend is the overwhelming favourite to land the job permanently after overseeing a steady improvement in performances during his first four games in charge.

And Forde believes Harris has managed the transition from U21s coach to first-team boss well, adding that the 37-year-old is a popular figure in the dressing room.

Forde told the Southwark News: "I think he's got a big future ahead of him in management.

"He's learned immensely from his caretaker spell 18 months ago and he’s really matured into the role now that he's had more experience with the U21s and learnt from the likes of Ian Holloway.

"He's got a lot of contacts in the game so I'm sure he still speaks to Kenny Jackett and Sean Dyche.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed working with him and the lads have taken to him as well. He's definitely matured in the last year or so."

Forde admits that his relationship with Harris has changed since he became a manager.

"It has to be different and that comes from a level of maturity," said the goalkeeper.

"The players understand that he's the boss at the moment and that's the way it works.

"I respect him for what he did as a player and now I respect him for what he's doing as a manager."

34 thoughts on “Millwall goalkeeper: Harris has "big future" in management

• April 9, 2015 at 10:56

I am happy to hear the relationship has changed but if Forde is here next season he needs to be challenged for his position he has had an awful season in my opinion yet is never dropped, the best players for the job should always be selected friendship should never come in to it .

• April 9, 2015 at 11:07

@mfc2u: spot on .about fordey being pushed .it might be the wake up call he needs.cos i think he will be here next year mainly due to the contract he has.

• April 9, 2015 at 11:33

@Jim28: Hello Jim ,it's not only Forde that needs to be pushed,all the team have to understand that they are fighting to wear the shirt in the next game,so they must give their all in the game they are playing in.
        Every player has to understand that there will be no free passes into the team,so they have to fight for their place.
        If bomber can get this across to the team now ,it will make team selection easier in the future.
        No old pal's act now bomber,no teacher's pet's,if you do not perform on the pitch some one else will be given his chance.
        So come on bomber and the team show there is more in you and give it your best shot.

• April 9, 2015 at 12:48

@jim1222: WELL SAID JIM1222,THATS ONE OF THE BEST AND MOST TRUTHFUL 'POST'S' WE'VE READ ON HERE FOR AGES.FULLY AGREE WITH IT.NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE.STORMIN' NORMAN.

• April 9, 2015 at 13:21

@jim1222: my post was merely a reply to mfc2u.and cos it was fordey's article.
            i agree with what your saying.i also believe neil has already proven he can make tough decisions.you only have to look at his team selections..@bermlion: see you in the blu

• April 9, 2015 at 14:57

@jim1222: must agree with the above post by Jim,failing to get rid of the poor-show pros will only make Millwall struggle again.( NOLU,WDC).

• April 10, 2015 at 10:19

I think your right Jim im not sure Messi has even got a four year contract at Barcelona @Jim28:

• April 9, 2015 at 11:14

@mfc2u: he's been dropped as Ireland's number 1, so hopefully this will be good for MFC as he has to up his game to reclaim it. But agree totally that a good back up keeper is required

• April 10, 2015 at 10:29

I also hear he will leave if we get relegated I don't think he is a good championship goal keeper anymore he makes me nervous just watching him @dpendet:

• April 9, 2015 at 11:17

I've thoroughly enjoyed working with him
    That means I won't be here next season for all his cock ups he won't be prepared to put things right and give his all to Wall

• April 9, 2015 at 11:26

If we go down I will be amazed if Forde stays. He has no chance of getting back the Eire jersey playing in League One, so he will go.

• April 9, 2015 at 11:43

@junkmale: almost certain Junkmail, he is also one of very few we could get a fee for.

• April 9, 2015 at 11:46

@lennie the lion: Yes, he'll be on his toes alright. The only player we've got who's got a long contract that's worth money. Can't see him getting into the Premiership so a Championship club looks likely. Good luck to him and a chance to play someone else which should have already happened.

• April 9, 2015 at 11:48

@junkmale: what team in the championship would want him at his age ,the keeper's i have seen this year have all been of a good standard and much younger.
      The Celtic rumour we had last season was most like'ly put around by his agent,so as to pressure millwall to give him a 3 year deal.

• April 9, 2015 at 16:04

One swallow does not make a summer. I will be s*** of but I just want the best for my club.. If Neil keeps us up . Then he's deserves the job 100%... To have forde give he's backing means nothink to me. Has everyone been wearing rose tinted glasses while watching forde. I think he's getting old and is finding getting down hard to do. He looks like a wardrobe falling down so slow.

• April 9, 2015 at 16:49

whether we stay up or go down , at the end of the season we need a clear out, the likes of Forde , Dunne are past there sell by date along with a few others at our club. Lets not forget we survived by the skin of our teeth last season & nothing was done last summer , nothing major, the clown kept the basis of the squad , hence we are where we are same players not good enough for the Championship . Hopefully Bomber gets the job & I cant see why not on the performances so far & brings through the youngster that we all want to see , whether it be in Div 1 or the Championship.

• April 9, 2015 at 17:45

David Forde will not be with us next season unfortunately. He has a buy out clause of 500K if we are relegated and both Middlesbrough and Brighton have already made an approach. When he does leave please try and remember the loyal service he has given to us and until playing behind a league 2 centre back partnership this season he has been absolutely different class. 2nd only to Kasey in my opinion in modern day XI

• April 9, 2015 at 19:05

@Crittalllion: Some of the goals he has let in during the past 2 years have been a joke,he fails to call for the ball when it should easily be his.
      His buy out clause if we go down show's how loyal he is,when a lot of our problems ie goals he has let in are down to him.

• April 9, 2015 at 19:22

@jim1222: so someone last summer must have thought we could go down.by giving fordey a buy out clause before the season began..Amtrex Ambler must of popped into paddy power and saw the odds

• April 9, 2015 at 20:56

@jim1222: @jim1222: I disagree with that, He has saved us far more points than he has cost us. On the contract point I agree but also he did turn down another championship club to sign it. On the whole I think his been a fantastic servant to the club and has always had time for the fans. A few more clean sheets to add to the tally would be great. Whose your fav GK in last 20 years? Actually top 3...

• April 9, 2015 at 21:53

@Crittalllion: you have your view i have mine,some of the goal's he has let in have been diabolical.
          I also expect any pro goalie to save more point's than they would cost a team,else he would not be in the team.
          Im sorry to say i do not rate Forde as much as you.

• April 9, 2015 at 22:24

@jim1222: fair enough mate. He'll be another clubs talking point next season so we won't have to disagree anymore! So who are your top 3 keepers in last 20 years? Just out of interest. Mine are. 1-Keller 2-Forde 3-Warner

• April 10, 2015 at 10:18

@Crittalllion: I must say I've really rated Forde in his time with us but the past two years his form has been on rapid decline and very inconsistent but that said so has the whole team, also his best performances have been when he's played with a settled back four. In that time he hasn't had a decent understudy to push him either.
          As for top 3 keepers in last 20 yrs mine would have to be
          1- Keller
          2- Warner
          And this will surprise quite a few
          3- gueret, he played a massive part in our promotion of 2000/01.

• April 9, 2015 at 17:59

That's his best mate talking he just wants to keep his job.He knows he's times up.

• April 9, 2015 at 20:34

just got done for speeding in Charlton. another 3 points we got,HAHA

• April 9, 2015 at 23:26

@Crittalllion
    I go with you on Keller and Warner,but i would put Andy Marshall in front of Forde also Maik Taylor imo was as good as if not better than Forde although we did not have him for that length of time.

• April 10, 2015 at 00:37

Forde this Season hasn't been half the Goalie he was for us last year theres no doubt about it but I still think that he is a good keeper and would hope/like to put it down to a bad year. he has cost us too much this season but I would like to see him stay but we need to have someone challenging him for his position week in week out, otherwise im afraid that he may get too comfortable and cost us again next season.
    With the Neil Harris for manager or not in my opinion is a tricky situation. I would love to see Bomber as our Manager! I think he would do a brilliant job and I don't think you will find anyone around (except fans) that know the Millwall way, that have the passion and hunger for Millwall, my one and only doubt is, if things don't go to plan and we are not winning games it is very awkward to get rid of him and I know that I wont turn on him (I would hope no fans do) but you would then have a situation where everyone will be/keep backing and supporting him but if nothing changes how long do you support him for?

• April 10, 2015 at 07:50

@Millwall_Bill: I think Bill if things did start to go wrong Neil would be moved sideways back to U21 again perhaps.

• April 10, 2015 at 10:28

@Millwall_Bill: bill you only have to look back at rhino, and what a stroke of luck that decision was.
      Unfortunately there's not much room for sentiment when losing

• April 10, 2015 at 09:55