Millwall manager: Steve Coppell is just a phone call away

©
©

NEIL Harris has confirmed that he and assistant Dave Livermore are using Steve Coppell as a "sounding board" for their ideas.

But Harris says Coppell's involvement at the club is very informal at this stage and revealed that he's been canvassing several other experienced figures for opinions and advice.

Kenny Jackett and Sean Dyche have offered to help in recent weeks, while AFC Wimbledon's Neal Ardley, a former teammate of Harris, has also been a valuable resource.

Coppell is being considered for an advisory role should Harris be appointed permanently – but the interim Lions boss says that will be discussed "further down the line".

He said: "Livers and I have a lot of knowledge about this club and what a Millwall team and player requires but where we fall short is our years of experience on the touchline.

"We ummed and ahhed with the board about bringing somebody in with experience and we're still playing that by ear. There's no pressure for any of us to do anything.

"Steve was recommended by a friend. He's worked with Richie Barker before at Crawley and he loves football.

"He's not an employee of the club – he's a football man with almost unlimited knowledge of the game.

"If at any stage we wanted to speak, then Steve's at the other end of the phone.

"I've already spoken to Steve, he's a great guy and his knowledge is ridiculous – he knows everybody and everything."

Coppell was seated in the directors' box during Millwall's win over Charlton.

"He goes to a couple of games every week and was planning to come to our game anyway, but he is someone I've leant on for advice in the last couple of weeks," Harris added.

"That's all it is at the moment and if that were to change, that would come further down the line.

"If I want to pick someone's brain, Steve is a contact within the game. If me and Livers want someone to chew the fat with, then there's somebody there. Steve is a friendly face.

"I've also been speaking to people that I played under and played with because it's good to have that sounding board and a different voice at the end of the phone.

"It can help you re-confirm your own thoughts or get a little bit of advice. It's really important. I'm speaking to managers quite a lot.

"I spoke to Neal Ardley last week about Jake Goodman but I played with Neal and he's a great guy, so I picked his brain because I trust his opinion.

"Football is a big, wide world but there are good people out there who want to help and share advice."

22 thoughts on “Millwall manager: Steve Coppell is just a phone call away

• April 8, 2015 at 12:23

Good thinking chopper I would bring steve at the end of this season wait till we no where we are and a fresh start aswell along COYL NOLU, WDC

• April 8, 2015 at 12:28

Good thinking chopper I would bring steve at the end of this season wait till we no where we are and a fresh start aswell COYL NOLU ,WDC

• April 8, 2015 at 13:49

I've heard Ron Atkinson was seen sitting with Ambler at the Charlton game. Expect another promising announcement soon.

• April 8, 2015 at 22:08

@Micky Lions: Chopper,If you need a talk with anyone about who to give the elbow to end of season - I've got a list here.

• April 8, 2015 at 13:52

And what did Ardley say about Goodman, I believe he is good enough to play for us next season?

• April 8, 2015 at 14:08

Its good a manager is not afraid to ask others what he thinks..unlike the last stubborn clown.

• April 8, 2015 at 23:58

• April 8, 2015 at 17:09

You talk sense Bomber and players seem to be on side. Looking at Rotherham, Fulhams and even Brightons remaining games 4 points from our next 2 games and you never know? Be good to take it to the last day and have a turn out at Wolves. I wonder if KJ is already dreading the thought of relegating us....

• April 8, 2015 at 18:32

Everytine I read an interview with chopper it makes me very happy. Talks great sense and in any job we all look to people who we respect who have the experience talking. Take the best bits from each one and learn from their mistakes

• April 8, 2015 at 18:49

and dont forget to ask Olloway about tactics

• April 8, 2015 at 19:01

With his willing to learn and listen I feel more and more confident about life next season. I actually think it may be best if we go down a league, a bigger fish in a smaller pond, regroup and see if we can have a much more successful time than we have done for the last two seasons.

• April 8, 2015 at 19:12

@lennie the lion: the question you should ask yourself len will Jb make bomber manager if we stay up...if this happens it will prove yanks know fuckall about football..

• April 8, 2015 at 19:41

The answer is yes Jim, he could not do anything but make him the boss. Can you imagine the flax he would get putting someone in over Chopper who then gets us back in the same situation after Neil had masterminded the second great escape. As I said I do actually think it maybe best going down a league with Neil in charge, I think we have enough about us with the core squad we have to have a right good go next year. Lets be honest would you rather have a year watching us win in league one than another like the last two. Of course there is no guarantee that we will be successful and we do risk going down again to basement but I think that the players we have, including the youngsters would do really well, without the need for many to come in. Who would you suggest we get should we survive? do you also think we would need a big influx of players should we survive. Warburton would be an obvious choice but I can see him getting much bigger offers than we could give him. QPR for a start or Fulham. Not sure Sean Dyche will get the sack if Burnley go down but he would certainly be my choice if he did.

• April 9, 2015 at 10:25

@SE17 Lion: Exactly the opposite Lion, I said on an earlier post before Bolton, Neil is on a win win if he keeps us up is even more a hero if we go down the youngsters will be even more important to us and who better to manage them. Only if we got slaughtered in the first couple of matches would you get someone else in. I was replying to Jim
        "the question you should ask yourself len will Jb make bomber manager if we stay up...if this happens it will prove yanks know f**kall about football"
        who suggests that if JB gave the job to Chopper it would be a mistake. I asked the question who would Jim like then if this did happen made suggestions. On reflection as I keep saying I actually think that going down and having Chopper in charge next year would be, as a club not such a bad move.

• April 8, 2015 at 20:34

Hi my name is Steve from Millwall technical coaching, how can I be of assistance?...oh they aren't listening to your instructions, walk on the pitch and clip him round the ear like Cloughie...didn't work? Try a reboot...

• April 8, 2015 at 23:59

@Jim28: that's a very good point Jim, no room for egos in this club, we stand shoulder to shoulder or not at all@vonhardshaft: too much acid maaaannnnnn!

• April 8, 2015 at 20:40

Reading Neil's posts it sounds as if the jobs his. It's good he aint scared to ask for help but keep doing wot your doin seems to be working

• April 8, 2015 at 20:54

How refreshing a young manager being so honest about his ability at the club he loves and admitting to asking for advice . I think no mater if we go down or not JB has a massive and very tricky decision to make about our future, from what I have seen so far Bomber is the ideal replacement for the lad from chipperfields that gave it a go we look like a completely different team and have some real belief about us with basically the same players so far Neil would get my vote .

• April 8, 2015 at 22:00

This was posted on a Cafc Forum after our win on Friday at last an honest anorak

s*** as usual before sending off we were actually worse . The best team won and only our goalie kept it down he was immense . Simon church is a waste of space and when he come it was over . not sure forde had any notable saves really . enough of this luzon is great it's been a hit and miss season and this really was the highlight . They own us in this fixture and I don't care if they go down as that's what happens in football you go down go up . The thing is were a disgrace in this fixture and never quiet have the personality to impact on millwall it will never change just like us never having any cup runs . dross .
    love it
    I also here they are not very happy when the score keeps flashing up on the train station time table board on their long journey home ........so keep up the good work one and all at the railway station ,, quality

• April 8, 2015 at 22:46

Give Neil Harris and Dave Livermore the job. They know the club, the setup and the fans. Neil is an honest man who is willing to learn from his more experienced network. if you need an example look at what Eddie Howe has done at Bournemouth - he saved them from Conference football was a great servant as a player at the club and look at their style and position now on smaller gates than ours!

• April 9, 2015 at 10:32

@wappinglion: He also had a billionaire Russian oligarch backing the club. Russian owner, Maxim Demin, 44, described as a petrochemicals trader, previous owner Mostyn, a Mancunian financial services businessman living locally, sold his half of the club to Demin in 2011, and says he has seen evidence that Demin has "vast wealth" .