Harris: Players boosted by vocal backing of Millwall crowd

NEIL Harris believes the bond between Millwall's players and fans is starting to be repaired – and says it can be a powerful force moving forward.

One of Harris' main aims during his interim spell in charge of the Lions is to improve results at The Den and get the home crowd back on side.

Since Harris took over, Millwall have picked up four points from a possible six in SE16.

And there was a terrific atmosphere inside the ground as they fought back from a goal down to beat rivals Charlton on Good Friday.

Harris says the renewed backing of the fans hasn't gone unnoticed by his squad and believes it could make the difference during the Lions' remaining six fixtures.

"David Forde spoke to the players about how lucky they are that, even though we're third from bottom in the league, the fans have been tremendous with them," Harris said.

"They've supported the players all the way through and the lads are talking about that in the dressing room.

"They feel it's come together – the fans are identifying with the team, they're supporting the team and they're sticking with us in a difficult situation.

"That is because we're all in it together and lately the fans appreciate what they're seeing, and that's so important at this club.

"I've had some magical moments at this place and it's all built on one thing – a hostile atmosphere being created by the fans and the players have to realise their part in that.

"The players have to build momentum and play a certain way to get the fans on their side. That combination can scare the life out of other teams.

"I'm not saying we did that to Charlton, but we're certainly building those thoughts again in the group."

30 thoughts on “Harris: Players boosted by vocal backing of Millwall crowd

• April 7, 2015 at 12:54

Just put up a fight thats all we ask. never say die.

• April 7, 2015 at 13:02

we've seen major changes already since clown has gone and they've all been positive! long may it continue, im 50/50 with neil getting the job full time i want him to have it but only if there's a clause in the contract if it don't work out you still have a definite job with us anyway! only thing i'd like to see change is gueye starting, i think he could save us with his clinical finishing. COYL!!!

• April 7, 2015 at 13:05

If only jb had sacked that wa-nker holloway just after Christmas I'm sure bomber would have saved us from the drop even though he still might, don't give up people.

• April 7, 2015 at 15:23

Have to admit I am now not as gloomy about the prospect of going down a league. We have our Millwall back, at the end of the season we keep the nucleus of the side that Neil is now playing, with the youngsters coming back I think we could have a right good go at coming straight back, which is a much better prospect than another year of struggle. I also seem to remember that JB said it would be cheaper to be in that league than the championship, and I am sure if we were winning at home and attracting the sort of support we got last time the gates would actually increase, certainly the wage bill will be greatly reduced, especially if Chopper takes the reins and a lot of expensive wages going.

• April 7, 2015 at 16:00

Believe !! we were unlucky not to walk away with 3 points at Brentford , against the anoraks we proved we had the fight back in ourselves, were a bit unlucky Rotherham got a result against brighton last night , but for once I believe we can get ourselves out of this , that's more hope than I did with coco when he was in charge .

• April 7, 2015 at 17:32

@Jingles: I'm confident we can put up a good fight in our last six games under Harris, but making up such a big gap in points at this late stage is probably asking a bit too much.

It's a great shame, as this situation was so avoidable. If it does happen, this will be my sixth Millwall relegation. Every time it happens it's heartbreaking, but this is the first one I've felt we probably deserve. We've escaped on the final day for the last two years, but we've been bloo.dy awful this season and the sacking of Holloway came much too late.

• April 7, 2015 at 19:08

I'm sure I'll be the only one to think this...

First of all, I'm delighted what bombers doing for the club at the moment. There is a major difference in the way the team is playing and it's great to see the fight once again (about time!)

However, my main concern lies at the end of the season. We are going to have a major overhaul in players coming in/ out. The responsibility on Harris to convince the right players to come to the club is massive. He's still very inexperienced from a managerial point of view as well as Livermore. I'm worried that a more experienced manager is an option that isn't being explored. I feel that if bombers our man, then surely an experienced head has to be considered as a number 2 and the same in regards to the coaching. We have got a good crop of youngsters emerging and it's essential that the team has the right balance as to improve their development. Personally I hope bombers the man to do it but I do feel it's a huge gamble, especially with the club staring an embargo in the face next January.

• April 7, 2015 at 20:04

Not sure I agree, I think we have a very good basis of a team. Not sure the Hoover will stay but we have a team at the moment that can compete the addition of Fred, Goodman along with O'Brien (who incidentally got a fabulous strike away that lead to the penalty which seems to be overlooked). Gregs I am convinced will be a real handful in League one then the lad Paris who is proven in that league. Not to mention Maggie who seems to be getting better and better. I would also like to see the Hoff stay not convinced about him but you cannot deny we seem to score more often when he is on the pitch, these along with a couple of U21 we have yet to see used to bulk up the first team squad. I think the clear out is correct but I think it will be a lot of older, high wage earners, not sure if we need anybody in. Would love it to see Carlos come back as well.

• April 7, 2015 at 20:06

Fulham winning 0-1 bl**dy Anoraks.

• April 7, 2015 at 21:10

Now the clown has gone, season ticket been renewed, give it a go boys, I'll be there next season no matter what league were in! COYL

• April 7, 2015 at 23:43

@baz2262: the team to catch was Rotherham and it still is .so nothing has changed.
      Not giving up yet

• April 8, 2015 at 00:49

@Jim28: Like you jim,i do not give up that easy,we are still in with a shout of staying up. COYL

• April 8, 2015 at 15:40

@Jim28: I have got more chance of winning the lottery than us staying in this div.Why don't you have a bet on them staying up 20-1?

• April 8, 2015 at 08:22

Even if MILLWALL was in the conference I will aways be der I am MILLWALL till I die COYL let get the f*** out of this mess play like u did against shitty Charlton we will stay up no matter what I belive in u MILLWALL

• April 8, 2015 at 10:59

@I fear no foe: Keep your brilliant attitude,its not over untill the mathmatic's say so, untill then we keep the support at 200%.the team want and need us to scream them on on,so see you at the Watford game.
      Let us make watford go weak at the knee's,then let the team take them apart.
      COYL

• April 8, 2015 at 08:33

As I've said before, there is absolutely no point looking for other results and worrying about what Wigan, Rotherham, Fulham or anyone else is doing. Holloway has put us deep in the hole and the Boards failure to act by the end of January has given Harris little or no chance of saving the day. All he can do is keep driving improvement and bring back the positive vibes and see where that takes us this season. Most importantly, getting a winning mentality back in the squad is vital for whatever division we are in next season. If we do go down, the excuse of not being able to compete financially will be less relevant and you'd hope that JB will give Bomber the same support he gave Holloway so that we can get some good, young quality signings, with Championship potential, for a League One promotion push . COYL

• April 8, 2015 at 10:53

@lion.ie: Agree with most of what you say but of course we have to worry about what Rotherham, Wigan and Fulham are doing. I'd written off Wigan but with a new manger we might see a surge. Like everyone else on here, I've had a look at all the remaining games. Bottom line is that we have to win on Saturday-A draw won't be enough IMO.. Last year we stayed up with 46 points but we're going to need more than that this this season.

• April 8, 2015 at 11:38

@NICKOLA: I don't think it matters what the teams around us are doing , though saying that I'm like everyone , I still look. I think we need a min of 4 wins from the 6 we have left , when you look at our fixtures starting with Watford this weekend & the last 2 games against Derby & Wolves , its a large call, however saying that lets hope that we bring the best from ourselves against these harder games , all said & done , Neil has given us some hope & belief , more than the clown .

• April 8, 2015 at 11:59

@Jingles: Hope is a wondeful thing but think we'd all agree it's a tall order. That said, anything can happen. What I'm looking forward to is a clearout of all those players that have under-performed all season or those that are just not good enough and we all know who they are. IMO some of our players are not even League one material so personally I don't want them in the squad next season if that's where we end up. The problem lies in that they won't give the job to Chopper or anyone else until the season is over and then some very quick but intelligent decisions will have to be made. Our downfall lies with the board and especially I include the CEO in that as well. He as much as anyone is responsible. If the future of Millwall is to be built around our youth then I'm all for it and hopefully we can get back up at the first time of trying.

• April 8, 2015 at 15:59

@NICKOLA: I agree with you hope is a wonderful thing & IF we go down, there is never a better time to have a complete spring clean to put it mildly. Whatever our outcome is at the end of the season some major decisions need to be made & quickly, so I agree with you , personally I think whatever happens Chopper should be given a fair crack of the whip & let him get on with the job in hand & build a team we can all be proud of

• April 8, 2015 at 12:39

@lion.ie: true m8 f*** em all United west spam and Liverpool coz we are the MILLWALL and we are the best we are the MILLWALL SO f*** ALL THE REST that what we should focas on MILLWALL OUR TEAM are result COYL WE CAN BEAT THE DROP

• April 8, 2015 at 14:40

I think Watford will turn up thinking this is 3 easy points in the bag, but i honestly believe we will be the COUPON BUSTER and nick a 1-0 win in the last 10 mins after they throw everything at us in desperation and we hit a counter and win it. 3 points??? more likely a 0-0 draw though 1 point
    Wigan, will try to mix it up a little but they still have foreign premiership players, how will they fancy a long tuesday night down to south london. 3 points
    Cardiff- nothing to play for, not going up not going down, we will want this more 3 points
    Blackburn, personally cheering them on to beat liverpool and progress so they rest players for a semi against villa. if they go out no chance of play offs but will play to win. draw 1 point
    Then we have to cross everything for the last 2 games, depending on form in the next 4 games these guys could be fighting for automatic or play offs still.
    2 draws might be enough but 1 may see us up if rotherham lose every game.
    total points 9-10 points 12 if we do upset Watford.