Harris: Beating Charlton a "special" moment for Millwall

NEIL Harris described Millwall's come-from-behind victory over rivals Charlton – his first victory as a manager – as a "special" day for the whole club.

The Lions were staring down the barrel after Alou Diarra gave the ten-man Addicks a shock lead in the south London derby at The Den.

But Magaye Gueye's introduction turned the game on its head, with the Frenchman firing in the equaliser before setting up Jos Hooiveld's winner.

And Harris said: "It's a special feeling, certainly. I'm delighted for my players and so chuffed for them because they've deserved that.

"I'd have been gutted if we'd not won because I promised them that if they performed today like they have been in training, they would beat Charlton.

"It was special for the whole club. We've not had a lot to cheer about this season and it's been difficult. Now we've got some belief and momentum."

Victory saw Millwall close the gap on fourth-bottom Rotherham to just four points.

But Harris cautioned: "We're not making any promises about where we are going from here.

"Watford is our next game and I didn't even look at the other scores today.

"We're not talking about other scores in the dressing room, it's not of interest. All we have to worry about is ourselves and the next game.

"We really are taking it one game at a time and we roll on to Watford now."

Harris was thrilled to see Millwall finally end their horrendous run of form at home, where they hadn't won since October.

"I spoke in the build up to the game about our home form being the important thing for this club and it's not quite been right," he said.

"The Brighton game was our starting point – a clean sheet and a point against good opposition – but I demanded more afterwards.

"To do that to our local rivals in such an important game is huge for us.

"We had momentum, belief in our play and sustained spells of pressure. I've spoken a lot about sustaining pressure because 15 or 20 minutes isn't enough at home.

"At 0-0 we were having chance after chance and their goalkeeper was outstanding.

"I thought something was going to drop for us, so going 1-0 behind was a real kick in the teeth and you're thinking that someone really doesn't like us up there.

"The fans played an important part. At 1-0 down, to stick with the team in the situation we were in, and to support them like they did, was phenomenal."

70 thoughts on “Harris: Beating Charlton a "special" moment for Millwall

• April 3, 2015 at 18:33

Well done bomber, well done lads, now the great escape can begin!!!!

• April 3, 2015 at 18:34

It's amazing that with someone who knows what he's doing can change things. Holloway-Send back your cheque. Well done to all at MFC today.

• April 3, 2015 at 18:55

dont give a t*** about Charlton.....watch out Rovrum were coming for ya

• April 3, 2015 at 19:09

Whilst I appreciate seeing my team win and really not wanting to criticise after a very good victory, but I have one question:

Why take off Harding and replace him with the hof? Harding was the only player getting decent crosses in today.

Just seemed strange to me.

Am I alone?

• April 4, 2015 at 10:01

@SE17 Lion: WHAT A Fu€{ING £NOBJOCKEY!!!!!!!!
        IS THIS A WINDUP?????????????
        NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS SITE...........
        WE WON!!!!
        DECISION PAID OFF.. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
        YOU SOUND LIKE A TRAIN SPOTTER MUG!!!!!!

• April 4, 2015 at 10:01

@SE17 Lion: WHAT A Fu€{ING £N0BJ0CKEY!!!!!!!!
        IS THIS A WINDUP?????????????
        NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE SOME PEOPLE ON THIS SITE...........
        WE WON!!!!
        DECISION PAID OFF.. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
        YOU SOUND LIKE A TRAIN SPOTTER MUG!!!!!!

• April 3, 2015 at 19:27

I'm with you there and also jimmy why when others were far worse --- Much better performance than of late at home more like My Millwall as I like to see ---- Still a win is a win no matter what the strange management decisions are made

• April 3, 2015 at 19:39

@aeojt: reason for Jimmy were playing against ten men there for jimmys role is redundant when we have every need to go foward if we're defending a lead keep him on but needing a goal against ten men the work horse without flair is not needed. Not knocking u I'm a Jimmy fan. Anyhow tactics and subs worked what do we know

• April 3, 2015 at 19:32

@bonnie1272: not having a pop mate but Harding May of been putting crosses in but as things get desperate you need a target man to pump balls up the field when the football style is failing keeping the ball and not creating is just as band as long ball football, and every player on the pitch is capable of hoofing it when it's hitting the fan a hoof is not a cross but still gets the ball into the last third (providing he wins and keeps it) under Ollie lots of good States but little to show for it. That's my view how ever others may think your right

• April 3, 2015 at 20:04

@bonnie1272: I agree about Harding, thought he was having a decent game...unlike Cummings who I'm not convinced by at all!

• April 4, 2015 at 09:21

@jc23: I went yesterday 1 St time in a while but couldn't face it with ih I'm in charge!!! I sat in family inclosure as I brought my missus with me 1st ever millwall game for her (she loved it) and do did I to see the fight and desire all that being said Harding is shocking was close to him all 1st half and he's do nervous its a joke Cummings on other hand actually beats a man and gets cross in fill he needs to streghen up though but Harding don't dare sign him would rather bomber bring through a youngster!!!!! On his crosses I said to my mate sitting next to me he's pony he thought he wasputting in GOOD CROSSES to who there keeper maybe then I said watch him closely and he agreed which he normally don't that he's pony!! Rang over we got our club back and I for one maybe missus will be going Watford in #inneilwetrust

• April 4, 2015 at 10:59

sorry bout mistakes poxy auto spell

• April 3, 2015 at 20:31

@bonnie1272: Probably a tactical move your right he played well but we needed to score some goals

• April 3, 2015 at 20:37

Be great to get big crowds for our remaining games the supporters play a really big part!!! Well played the team proper battling performance ! Bet Harry Cripps won't be turning in his grave tonight

• April 4, 2015 at 01:45

@bonnie1272: have a look at the last goal Hoff was involved watch the game he done well when he came on

• April 4, 2015 at 08:36

@cmj23: my point was that why take the best crosser off the pitch not that he put the hof on.

I figure you wanted hof to get on the end of the crosses.

However I do accept that hof played well when he came on and played the target man role prfectly

• April 4, 2015 at 09:21

@bonnie1272: you must of watched a different game mate. He nearly knocked the linesman out 3 times with his passing.. Worst player we have. Best day at The Den since October and still something to moan about. C'mon you Lions !!

• April 3, 2015 at 19:24

WELL DONE SUPER,SUPER MILLWALL.THATS THE SPIRIT WE NEED.THE FIGHT IS ON.NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE.STORMIN' NORMAN.

• April 3, 2015 at 19:33

Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham to go down happy days

• April 3, 2015 at 19:50

@munchy: A brilliant feeling - just winning at home again and against our noisy neigbours too.

Hopefully Rotherham will keep dropping points, but I'm not getting too carried away just yet as we've still got some tough games left. But the gloom has lifted since Holloway's gone and if the team continue to show the same fight & spirit we've got a chance.

• April 4, 2015 at 09:18

@Micky Lions: Fully agree with you o this Micky, but it just goes to show that Holloway never got Millwall he did not know what we expect from our team, if he was still here when we went 1 down i cant imagen wht subs he would have mad Dunne defo.

Anyway well done everyone we have a least hope and even if thats not enough we look like a team today who played good football at times and will be worth the season ticket for next year, lets hope the next home win is not so long in coming.

• April 3, 2015 at 19:39

That was a proper gutsy performance they contested every ball lost it got back got up off the floor to win the ball back 100% effort can't ask for more than that.

• April 3, 2015 at 19:42

Quality performance. Thought they were going to sneak it when their goal went in totally against the run of play.
    Not sure Ford had anything to do up to 35 minutes.

Priceless their five minute sing song after the goal, then it all went very quiet.

• April 3, 2015 at 19:57

Magnificent, well done Neil, the team, Gueye, Hoolveld and all. you have at last made for a very happy and pleasant Easter weekend. My spirits have been lifted. How nice it is to be able to write without cursing the manager and some of the team. One complaint, the board should have acted EARLIER they ought to listen to the fans more often, Now lets fight to the finish! COYL

• April 3, 2015 at 20:02

I love it 2day I love the atmosphere the way millwall played that what we need back we will beat the drop if we played like that all the time maggie was outstanding when he came on I haven't been so happier 4 ages COYL let get out this mess we are staying up say we are staying up great performance super super neil super super neil super super neil super neil Harris total legend thank 2 bomber 4 not playing dunne bring on Watford let do them COYL COME ON MILLWALL

• April 3, 2015 at 20:29

PMSL

• April 3, 2015 at 20:44

Thank you Neil Harris... Today was truly a roller coaster . My heart sank for the first goal.. But superb substitution turn it around.. Upsom was fantastic ! ! ... Good luck boys and a happy Easter to all . Coyl .

• April 3, 2015 at 21:30

That's classic Wall 200% every player Bomber has installed the main ingredient and Wow how it showed every ball every tackle every second ball even if we lost the ball they went to win it back every player covered and played for each other
    Charlton brought nothing to the game except any sort of game got a fluke goal,against run of play 80% Wall 20% Nerds that's being generous to them, sad there singing celebrations thinking we was there for the taking
    Well done Bomber Well Done Wall let's continue the fight to the end and well done all Wall supporters Great atmosphere proper Wall good times again with that performance you can't fault the attitude and endeavour
    Nice weekend for once .

• April 3, 2015 at 21:35

Watford at home and we'll do well to get a point. 3 points v Wigan and then that will keep them below us. We're chasing Rotherham because Fulham are 8 points ahead allowing for goal difference. Anything is possible but let's keep level headed. I think they'll give the job to Harris whatever happens as he can put a few grand on the gate and also that he actually cares what happens and has certainly lifted the gloom that's for sure.

• April 3, 2015 at 22:03

Strange Neil brought off upson as thought he was quality today , but it worked !! Thought IMO Williams was pants today !!

• April 3, 2015 at 23:28

@gman: I think Ed Upson had a brilliant game Totally over looked by the clown he great Ability Proberly the most accuarte passer of the ball we have and takes players on and fights to win possession of the ball he has more pace than Williams . A lot of you may not agree with me as we all see the game from different views Martin Walford takes a lot of stick to me he is a classy player he caused a lot of problems for them today he is very composed on the ball with some dribbling skills and the odd goal . 2 of our underrated talents that Bommer is getting the best out of

• April 4, 2015 at 01:56

@gman:
      Upson signalled to the bench to come off as he was injured.
      Hope he is back soon.
      Best player on the pitch.
      A proper football brain too.
      Brilliant performance. After that showing he would be one of the first namez on the teamsheet for me.

• April 3, 2015 at 22:15

Great fighting comeback with the sound of the millwall army behind em. Cheers n happy Easter to all. WFNF.

• April 3, 2015 at 22:43

Don't know about you lot but I'm on my sixth beer. Yep, yep yep-It's good to be alive. Where's the highlights?

• April 3, 2015 at 22:54

Do not want to analyse anything tonight, feel too good, but thank you Neil, Dave and the players, and for me personally, thanks to the thumping tackles put in today from Jimmy, Sid, Ed and Bailey and all , and for those who saw it, Gregory giving their CH some verbals all through the game. It works !

• April 3, 2015 at 23:09

I know we've had our problems and we always will have coz that's what comes with being Millwall but with no disrespect to Charlton but. YOU BOTTLED IT AGAIN. Grow a pair and you might stand a chance. NOLUWDC

• April 4, 2015 at 00:16

nice to get a home win....but boogie team Watford up next ,not a team you want to play up next with Vydra and Deeny up front, this will tell us if the side has got what it takes to survive ,personally I can't see as winning this as watford are a strong out fit, I'm trying to keep the faith but I think we've left it too late ,I hope we win to prove me wrong ,but we need to win all our games, can't see it tho.

• April 4, 2015 at 01:01

The common sense statements coming from Harris are a refreshing change. He's spot on, the four point gap and what the teams above us are doing are of no interest to his players right now, just keep putting in the graft and see where that takes us. There is no hope without endeavour and no endeavour without hope. COYL,

• April 4, 2015 at 01:34

What a great win. Flying home next week to cheer on the Lions for the last of the home games. COYL

• April 4, 2015 at 07:04

You've got to love Sid Nelson, he is the heart and spirit of Millwall and MOTM for me!
      COYL!

• April 4, 2015 at 09:16

Great day yesterday the only moan i have was that NH did not acknowledge the fans when we sang about KJ he always waved. So come on Neil we all a little wave now and again

• April 4, 2015 at 09:20

Great day yesterday the only moan i have was that Neil Harris did not acknowledge the fans when we sang about Kenny Jacket he always waved. So come on Neil we all like a little wave now and again

• April 4, 2015 at 09:50

Agree with everything that has been said, at last we have a team with a Millwall mentality which is all the fans ask. Couple of points when Chopper bought on the subs they made a difference up front it gave Charlton different problems with the Hoff, also Neil swapped Gueye to the left after starting on the right a move that effectively resulted in both goals. Call it luck or inspired judgement at least we know that Harris and Livermore have at least a clue and a plan b. Not sure if anyone else noticed how Neil treated each player as they came off, obviously there was a lot of relief and elation beating the Anoraks but it seemed genuine affection and a real goodwill between each and every player and him.
    For the fifty odd years supporting the club they never cease to do this to me having come to terms with life in league one they are now in the process of giving us a glimmer of hope again and all the stress that involves.
    On yet another point the Den rocked yesterday the Charlton fans adding to the atmosphere but it is so good to hear the home fans not giving up, even when they scored, and it looked like a repeat of of all that is been going wrong for us this season, so it is now more than ever that whoever can get down for a match to go it really seems to make a difference to the players.

• April 4, 2015 at 09:51

I agree with all the posts regarding player performance but for me, Aiden had a typical Wall game -gave everything and run every ball down, tackled and annoyed their back 5. True Wall spirit. Well done lads, well done Bomber.

• April 4, 2015 at 10:24

I see Fabrinni started on the bench and didn't get on the pitch for Birmingham, I thought he left us to get more starts?

• April 4, 2015 at 10:36

Bailey comes on and we score two and he kicks a Charlton player into next year, if he stays fit he could be a season making player for us.

• April 4, 2015 at 11:00

Did an anorak push dislike on my post. I cant believe any Wall supporter could disagree with my statement.

• April 4, 2015 at 11:24

The same commitment against Watford will get 3 more points ...Charlton had won 5 out of 6 so were on form but we slaughtered em if the pen went in it would have been 5-0....WE FEAR NO FOE

• April 4, 2015 at 11:34

I can't believe Charlton had a player called Tony Watt. With a name like like it summed them really, If you have a Twatt in you side you're never going to win at Millwall.

• April 4, 2015 at 11:35

Well, Done still a mountain to climb. Keep the belief and we can do it fingers crossed.

• April 4, 2015 at 13:06

@baz2262: I bet there are some very squeaky bums at Rotherham and Fulham and they are looking of there shoulders at us. Just need a few more goals in our next win (and it will come) to help the goal difference would help as at this rate we need 5 points to be clear.

• April 4, 2015 at 11:49

That's the Millwall we want to see.Worth every penny we paid, also a very good crowd attendance! We want more of this type of play.( NOLU,WDC).

• April 4, 2015 at 12:05

Can't believe what I'm reading on here sometimes. That was as good a game of football as any of us can expect to see. It had everything I want from a home game. It was faultless. A lot of people bashing Dan Harding on here - do me a favour and don't come down to the Den. Millwall not the club for you. Take your "support" and f right off. I am sick of listening to people screaming abuse in the stands when the lads are battling and WINNING!
    Some fat mug shouted "you dont know what you're doing" with the substitutions??!! Its these poisonous, toxic fans that I cant stand. My advice to these people is - get a girlfriend. Clearly something is missing in your pathetic little lives.
    Also - on the subject of fans - I hope the stay aways that came yesterday enjoyed it.I wont judge them for why they dont come every week -but the noise was tremendous. Would be great for our club if you could come again. Starting with watford on saturday.
    My little boys are still buzzing and this being their first season at the Den cant quite believe what they've seen yesterday. Never seen them so happy. At long last - we've got our Millwall back. #stayingup

• April 4, 2015 at 12:30

Just heard dunne is wanted by Celtic Ipswich charlton Forrest ?????

• April 4, 2015 at 13:08

It's not all about football!! You have to bully sides, and wall are good at that! Saying that there was some quality Football played yesterday. We are a championship side there is no doubt about that we just had a s*** start and a woefull manager

• April 4, 2015 at 20:59

Yesterday was a great performance and result with 100% spirit from all players and fans. I thought upson was very effective and Jimmy alike breaking the play up, I might get slated for this but i was glad to see bailey back in albeit for 20 mins. Made sense as Williams was not releasing the ball quick enough and didn't have his head up to see the right pass. A fit bailey would be a very good asset for us plus he loves a tackle unlike williams. We need muscle as well as vision in midfield. Sid was outstanding along with most of the others but Cummings has no attacking ability for me too defensively minded. Overall very very happy to see pride back in our pack of lions and hopeful we will survive another season in the championship. Gregory will come good next season and works his nuts off and has a decent touch, just give him playing with sid reading for next season. COYL.

• April 4, 2015 at 20:59

m playing with sid reading for next season. COYL.