"So far, so good" for interim Millwall manager Neil Harris

NEIL Harris says he is enjoying the pressures of first-team management.

But Millwall's all-time leading goalscorer, who has overseen two draws and a defeat in his opening three games in charge, has found it hard disappointing players by leaving them out of the team.

However, Harris believes his side are not far away from their first win under his guidance.

“It’s a case of so far so good,” Harris said. “It’s hard at times – picking teams and subs means that you have to disappoint people when you don’t want to – but that is football.

“I’m really enjoying the buzz of it and enjoying seeing the lads play well. The boys are really performing and I’m desperate for us to get that first win.

“There’s a little bit of extra pressure but I just want the boys to do well and succeed – that’s the bottom line and all I’m after really. I was gutted on Saturday but gutted for my players because they’ve given absolutely everything.

“The chairman and the board are desperate for the club to succeed and they’ve been really supportive. Dave Livermore, who I’ve known for a long time, is someone I trust and he knows Millwall inside out like I do.

“He knows what makes the club tick and he knows what’s needed in players, that’s the biggest thing. He’s a mentally strong person as well so it works really well. We’re all really enjoying it but we’re desperate for some results.”

Harris is calling on techniques he used as a player to help him during his time as manager, and feels his side are starting to show more belief.

“Self-evaluating started as a player, Harris said. “Did I play as well as I could have done? I’d watch clips of myself playing and chances I’d missed to see what I could’ve done better.

“As a coach and manager of the U21s, I’ve been continuously doing the same thing -watching videos, thinking about substitutions and how we played. Did we follow the game plan? Naturally I do that anyway. You have to look at yourself before you look at other people.

“Did I get that decision right? Did I make that change too soon or too late? If I got it right, did the players get it right? We definitely do that and because Livers and I know each other so well, we can do that openly which is handy.

“The belief is back, the fanbase are so supportive and we now need a win to continue moving forward. Three points would be a reward that everyone deserves.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

33 thoughts on “"So far, so good" for interim Millwall manager Neil Harris

• March 27, 2015 at 10:05

The gloom has been lifted. Someone finally, who knows what he's talking about.

• March 27, 2015 at 10:46

Actually enjoy checking this site every day now

• March 27, 2015 at 10:57

The biggest difference i see is that in the games that Harris has been in charge is that the players know what they are supposed to do!, ( whether they are capable is another matter!), whereas under holloway every game i saw, the players were continually looking at the dugout for instructions! and as i posted after the rotherham game, Fuller took some instructions from 'tic-tac' holloway, and walked away shaking his head !!!!! early days i know, but i think Harris looks the part and seems confident and capable !

• March 28, 2015 at 09:43

@kyran_nicholl07: I can see your point, but decisions will have to be made, and if the policy is that the club want to bring on the younger players, and Harris knows them inside out it might be the choice that has to be made. Still, going to enjoy the 'ride' until the end of the season and hope i see at least 2/3 wins !!!!!!!!!!!

• March 27, 2015 at 11:28

We could have put Kermit the Frog in charge and I'd have been happier than having Holloway.

• March 27, 2015 at 12:02

I always wanted Harris to take over from the self proclaimed messah but thought he'd only be good as a stop gap before another journey man came along due to his lack of experience in the top seat. But I must say his talking more sence than holloway ever did.
    Experience only comes with time and I for one would be more than happy to have him take the reigns full time. Good luck Neil

• March 27, 2015 at 13:20

Harris seems to me to be getting the players together now as oppose to holloheads "my way or the highway" style off management! the players seem happier and also the fans so best off luck lads , its nowhere near over yet seven point is easily catchable with seven games left we need to get right behind the team and hope this 442 catches a few teams out!! C.O.Y.L.....!

• March 27, 2015 at 13:36

Read gregorgy"s article in the SLP..he said that neil told the players this is how were gonna play and thats how it will stay..which must of been music to the players hears...
    keep on what your doing neil football can be a simple game not a confusing one...

• March 27, 2015 at 15:17

Neil is totally different to the last time he was in charge. He has learned there is no sentiment in football if you want to succeed. Then he was afraid of upsetting his mates now he is very single minded he's made tough decisions already getting rid of fabrinni couldn't of been easy & he's got a tougher one next week when dunne is back. I think he could turn out to be another Sean dyche. Keep it up Neil we are all behind you. Coyl

• March 27, 2015 at 17:24

I can feel a win coming hopefully it soon rather then later COYL

• March 27, 2015 at 17:37

There's only one Neil Harris. Go on my son, it's your time now.

• March 27, 2015 at 17:40

The mind plays wonderful tricks. 2 Draws and a loss and everybody is happy and not bothered about losing Fabrinni. I'm not digging out Harris for these results but the fickle fans we have. ;-)

• March 27, 2015 at 17:55

@Ash: Ash, i dont regard myself as !.ickle after 50 years a fan, its not just about results for me, its about how we play and the manner we play in, of course i want to win every game, always have, but we are what we are and holloway was making a mockery of this club i love, in my opinion. and as for fabbrini, he looked good but he was no use to us as a struggling team and i think Harris is choosing the players to suit the style of play he wants, with one eye looking to next season.

• March 27, 2015 at 18:09

@Ash: not a case of being fickle ash..its the manor in which they have played ..thats the pleasing thing.played with pride and direction something we didn't see when coco was here..of course all would be calling for his head if the anoraks beat us..but seeing this is unlikely hes here to stay..as for fab i've looked.on 3 clubs sites to see why hes gone and not one are giving any real reason..but it does look like wfc who cut short the loan.which in all fairness they said that they might do this.same goes for bafc...

• March 27, 2015 at 22:23

@Ash: I don't necessarily think that Chopper is the long term fix. He might be-Who knows at the moment? What I do know is that the black cloud that has hung over Millwall has been blown away. 442 with some heart behind it. That's good enough for me.

• March 28, 2015 at 11:11

@Ash: don't think travelling up North & getting behind your team knowing they will roll over as soon as things don't go there way & then when Harris comes we actually enjoy watching our team is fickle.

• March 27, 2015 at 18:46

neil you have the backing of every millwall fan inside and outside the ground .i hope you achieve more than your goalscoring record,i hope you find the chair very comfy crack on at the helm.

• March 28, 2015 at 15:30

There are plenty of young managers out there who have succeeded, why can Neil be one of them? If we are going to blood young players then why not blood a young manager as well? Yes Neil 'could' fail but as long as he admitted that he was failing, which Holloway wouldn't, then I don't think it would harm him. Not IMO anyway.

• March 28, 2015 at 18:27

Harris is 37 years old and been in football all his adult life how can anyone think hes not experienced enough ....its not rocket science....Ollie thought it was but it aint Chopper is our man and the team he picks will be our best team to win

• March 29, 2015 at 02:16

Think this through before you all do the dislikes and non footballing brain comments. I'm not convinced bomber is the answer for either a f,ing LONG league one campaign which jacket (proven manager found hard) or and hopefully championship rookie with the wait of the world on his shoulders. I don't think it his time yet but who is I don't know?

• March 29, 2015 at 08:30

@mfcmike: i take your point mike but if we cant get a couple of wins by the end of the season he probably wont get a chance. Personally i reckon that if we agree that youth is the way forward next season then id give harris a go, a few early wins with the crowd massively behind them and the momentum might carry us through .

• March 29, 2015 at 02:21

Just beat charlton that's all I want for the rest of my life

• March 29, 2015 at 14:41

We look like a side with ideas and a pattern to our play for the first time in a long time. If Harris does well then why not give him a chance.

• March 29, 2015 at 17:09

It was nice to see Millwall and the Den featured on BBC's "State Secrets" programme he was surprisingly supportive of the club and left a positive image. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05p6sm5

If you missed it I think its on iplayer

• March 29, 2015 at 22:45

@Peckhamlad: until he had to stop filming because of our resident neanderthals displaying their usual shithead behaviour

• March 30, 2015 at 01:30

@Peckhamlad: how was thatva positve image of millwall.putting on a programme hitler and racism..on top of which it was hosted by a tory .

• March 30, 2015 at 11:16

@Jim28: In the context of fascism and racism I thought he was making it clear that Millwall had moved on from the violent years of the '70's. He also emphasised the working class background of the club which it continues to proudly have. I did not think he was trying to besmirch Millwall. Obviously being a wealthy Tory he seemed a bit apprehensive but some of his ancestors suffered dreadfully under the Nazis. Useless as he was as a Tory minister better he does as being a commentator than in this tinpot anti-working class government.

• March 30, 2015 at 12:33

@Peckhamlad: how many working class clubs are there.loads of them.but he and the bbc knew clubs like orient wouldn't have the same impact as mfc...the fact millwall hitler and racism were a lined with each other in the same programme ..was out of order ..