Nelson praises on-loan Hooiveld's impact on Millwall career

SID Nelson has praised the impact that on-loan Southampton defender Jos Hooiveld has had on his early Millwall career.

The academy graduate has only played eight senior games for Millwall but, feels he has adapted to first-team football well thanks to Hooiveld’s guidance.

The duo have formed a strong partnership at the heart of the Lions’ defence, and Nelson feels he is taking on board all the advice the 31-year-old has given him.

“Jos Hooiveld plays a big part in calming me down during games,” Nelson said. “Jos will pull me to one side and help me keep my cool – he tells me that I don’t have to win everything and that I should be focused on staying in shape.

“When a player with his experience gives you advice, you take it on board straight away. I can be a little bit rash sometimes but playing next to him is great.

“It’s the same with the other lads and in training as well – Alan Dunne, Shaun Cummings, Mark Beevers and Dan Harding are all brilliant with me.”

Having so many experienced players around him, Nelson feels he has settled quicker in the first-team, and is learning how to cope with a higher calibre of opposition striker.

Nelson said: “The strikers are clever, in an U21s game, if the ball is in the air you go up to challenge for it – and that’s that really.

“In the first team, the strikers will put you off and it’s much harder to win the ball. The physicality of it is something that I’ll have to grow into – some of the strikers I’ve played against are bigger and stronger than me.

“It is hard but I feel like I’m coping with it well. Having some experienced players around me is helping so much.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

15 thoughts on “Nelson praises on-loan Hooiveld's impact on Millwall career

• March 27, 2015 at 09:09

The strikers will pull you off? Hahahaha

• March 27, 2015 at 09:46

Hopefully Beevers is staying. Under Harris coaching he could get back to his best especially if We don't sign hoov up on a perm deal

• March 27, 2015 at 09:52

Let's hope his progress isn't halted by the return of that bag of cacca aka Dunne.

• March 27, 2015 at 10:52

@NICKOLA: Bomber a wave of optimism now permeates our football club and that is because of the new management set up and youngsters picking up the mantle. If you want to destroy that put dunne back into the team against charlton. Alan dunne great servant to the club is now yesterday's man, he is not a part of our brave new world and he's time is up now !

• March 27, 2015 at 12:09

Bomber also wants webster and goodman back next season..goodman & powell's contract expires in the summer ..

• March 27, 2015 at 18:23

@Jim28: we should get them back now and start playing them Jim or we will have the usual 10 games at the start of the season waiting for them to gel while all the other teams hit the ground running and then we play catch up

• March 27, 2015 at 21:15

Wouldn't get any advice from dunny, he will teach you to concede....

• March 27, 2015 at 22:49

He got a bright future ahead hopefully he says with us another Robinson fingers cross COYL

• March 28, 2015 at 12:09

It will be interesting to read what is said if Bomber does play Dunne.

• March 28, 2015 at 14:16

I don't mind if Dunne plays again but as only as a RB to cover Cummings

• March 28, 2015 at 18:37

@brooker: iDunne should be Zampa.....if bomber picks him to play Ill be shocked

• March 28, 2015 at 18:35

we will see how serious Berylson is if Bomber wants Hoiveldt next season ...make him captain as well....Norwich didnt want him so clubs aint exactly lining up to buy him,,,,,,Fabrinni was all flip flap but Hoover is a real player.....SIGN HIM UP BERYLSON

• March 29, 2015 at 16:57