Millwall marksman Gregory aiming for a double figure finish

MILLWALL striker Lee Gregory has been given a new lease of life under Neil Harris – and wants his goal tally to hit double figures before the end of the season.

Gregory, who has been one of the Lions’ star performers since Harris took charge three games ago, underlined his new-found confidence with an ice-cool finish against Brentford last weekend.

And the former non-league frontman is determined to better his total of six goals now that Harris has “taken a lot of pressure” off his shoulders.

“Neil has put a lot of belief in me,” Gregory told the Southwark News. “We’ve been speaking regularly since he took over. He’s told me what I’m good at and what I should be doing.

“I now have the belief of the manager – it makes it a lot easier when there’s no pressure on you to do this or do that. He tells me that if I express myself and do what I normally do, I’ll be fine. It makes it a lot easier.

“I’m really enjoying my football at the minute. I can’t wait to train and I can’t wait for the next game. I’m a bit disappointed that it’s the international break – normally you’re grateful for a few days off, but I wish there was a game tomorrow.

“That’s how I feel at the minute – I want the games to come thick and fast.”

And Gregory has one of his pre-season targets firmly in his sights.

“I want nothing less than double figures,” he added. “We’ve got seven games left and, with the confidence I’ve got right now, I feel like I could score in every game.

“My goal at the start of the season was to score as many as I could – but a minimum of ten. It’s not gone my way this year but that’s what I’m aiming for now.”

Gregory no longer carries the burden of being a lone striker thanks to Harris’ tactics.

“When you play with two up front, you share the workload and that is very important,” Gregory added.

“After 60 minutes you should start getting more chances because their back four is tired – but, when you’re working on your own, you feel just as tired. It is hard.

“Neil is being very good with me at the moment because he’s told me not to track back for corners and instead save my energy for going forward.

“It takes a lot of pressure off me because I’m not being asked to do jobs that I shouldn’t be doing and that I have been doing.

“Neil wants me to worry about going forward and that takes a huge amount of workload and pressure off my shoulders. I can express myself more.”

Gregory's confidence had been knocked by a series of missed chances – but Harris believes he's now working with a confident striker.

“I’ve seen a lot of belief in Lee’s recent performances," Harris said.

"The only pressure that Lee’s been under is the pressure that he puts on himself because he’s a goal-scorer.

"Lee has always scored goals but he’s not scored as many this season as he’s used to getting, so he’s been challenging himself.

"But I’ve said to him all along, since he joined the club in the summer, that his movement is outstanding. He always gets chances because of what a good player he is and the movement he’s got.

"Whether it’s taken him three weeks to settle in or a year, he’ll score goals for this club and lots of them because the ball finds its way to him in the penalty area – or he finds it. That’s a great knack to have."

30 thoughts on “Millwall marksman Gregory aiming for a double figure finish

• March 26, 2015 at 09:18

Non-League have got some great gems, talent and bargains to be had. Wouldn't mind us getting John Akinde in for next season another with close to 30 goals like Lee last season and same age.

Greggors is a big player for us. A toally natural goal scorer. You feel he has got plenty more goals in him for just the next 7 games and with the rise of O'Brian the pair of them are going to give us every chance of going on a run of wins and draws... Really wouldn't surprise me if we survive to fight another season in the Championship.

• March 26, 2015 at 09:21

Well Greggs keep it up, it just goes to show how much the clown ruined players by his crap formations and crazy tactics. Hopefully people will now be able to see Hollowhead for the Charlatan he really is.

• March 26, 2015 at 09:29

Gonna be a big player for us! And would of had 20 goals this season if clean didn't ruin him like so many others! Than god for super Neil. There's no one better to get ya scoring goals than him Gregory! Good to see you enjoying your footy again coz you was definitely on ya way out of here in the summer if silly b***** was still here.

• March 26, 2015 at 09:35

Are we still taking any and every opportunity to s*** off Holloway.... its sad! Build a bridge!

• March 26, 2015 at 12:44

@TheBermondseyBomber: I'll build a bridge and plant mines on it so when the carrot muncher walks across it, I'll blow it up and he will sink to the bottom of the river with tonnes of rubble weighing him down...that's how disillusioned he left me and the state he left our wall in!

• March 26, 2015 at 09:37

Totally agree with this and glad that Bomber has come out and said it for everyone to hear, Gregory is the real deal. He finds space and his touch and movement are very good. He needs confidence of course but he will get 20 goals in League 1 and could score in the Championship next season as well. This is a player around whom we should be building a team and strategy.

• March 26, 2015 at 09:57

Lets hope he reaches his double figure target by the end of the Anoraks game Cmon you Lions...

• March 26, 2015 at 09:58

Lee, if you could get to your 'double figures' target by the end of the Anoraks game I, for one, would be more than happy!
    Keep it up mate. In Bomber we trust!

• March 26, 2015 at 09:58

Thing is gregory had many chances under hollowhead he missed quite a lot of sitters to be honest so the opportunity has always been there for him to score more goals

• March 26, 2015 at 11:18

obviously I.H. in the end failed miserably but to be honest when I heard was coming to the Den I was well pleased and so were a lot of other Millwall supporters that I know and when we beat the drop I never thought we were going to struggle the following season but after the first few games even though results were going our way we didn't look good but I still believed we would improve and I think we did but horrendous refereeing robbed us of a good few points and then injuries to key players saw a rapid decline and I.H. had no plan B. Now we need the gods of the round ball game to smile upon us and send us decent refs and our fair share of luck.

• March 26, 2015 at 11:50

Some people have been critical of greggs missed chances,it now seems that the level of confidence of the team has not been what it should be,things do seem better now,also it is his first full season as a pro and i for one think he has adapted really well,when you think he has had the full wieght of being a lone striker(which he aint).so please keep off his back,as this boy is a winner.
    What we as a club should be concentrating is is the contract's of all our promising youngster's,as i have no confidence in Ambler at all,this is where the pressure from us fan's should be directed

• March 26, 2015 at 11:53

@jim1222: Also i would think his missed goals ratio to chances is not as high as some people might think.

• March 26, 2015 at 12:34

For me, it wasn't the amount of chances that Gregory didn't take that frustrated me its the type of chances he missed (1-on-1's). If you look at the goals he has scored this season (minus the penalty) they haven't been 'simple' as such and he's taken them all very well but can't seem to put away the easy ones!

I'm a fan of his and have defended him throughout the season BUT now and next season is the time to repay the faith shown in him by the club, Harris and most of the fans and I for one think he will. Top goalscorer next season with a minimum of 15 goals next season and you can quote me on that.

• March 26, 2015 at 12:35

That's probably about as thinly disguised criticism of IH's reign as you could get, a real eye-opener I think.
    It seems it wasn't just the fans that were frustrated at Holloway's refusal to play 2 up front and that players were being asked to do very specific jobs - which would explain the fact that a lot of them looked confused at times as to what they were supposed to be doing - the 3 man sub at Huddersfield was a perfect illustration of this when the players were literally shrugging their shoulders and shaking their heads at what was expected of them!
    I defended Holloway for a long time because I believed in his managerial credentials, but this I think is just the start of the truth coming out, I'm sure there'll be plenty more once the season has ended.
    I'm starting to think Holloway was a Jedi and we've all been done by some mind trickery.

• March 26, 2015 at 12:47

@mervpayne: It's true, Holloway IS a Jedi. For example ... "These are not the line-ups we've been looking for." Also, “Who’s the more foolish; the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - that one goes out to a lot of people!

• March 26, 2015 at 14:30

@robsep2b: Im a bit thick.so can you speak plain english,it really would help people like me.

• March 26, 2015 at 13:26

I am so impressed by the man management skills of Neil Harris he really does seem to be the real deal. Am certainly less impressed with Gregory !! This bloke has had chance after chance and kept missing we would have at least 9 extra points if he had just converted half the sitters he has had. He runs around a lot but has been found out in he Champinship , he has generally poor first touch , cannot really hold the ball up and is not good in the air and not quick enough that defences drop deeper and create space. He does not seem to have a good 'football brain ' and quite often seems to make the wrong decision on the counter attack and lacks creativity. I am not convinced by Marquis but he is at least as good as Gregory with a better scoring record in League football and probably holds the ball up better and better in the air.

• March 26, 2015 at 14:34

Lee G has missed a few sitters but does seem to have some skill let's hope he comes good sooner rather than later. What about bottle does he have a lota bottle or no?

• March 26, 2015 at 22:06

Holloway makes any player look bad....theres obviosly a lot of idiots on here who think he was unlucky ....ask fans from his other clubs anbd theyll tell you he was rubbish ....the players didnt stand a chance with his stupid tactics.....now hes gone every one of them wilkl be releaved ....you knock Gregory and it shows you dont care about Millwall

• March 27, 2015 at 02:53

Should have been in double figure already look how many games he played only 6 goals I no he from non league but he should have been more clinical 4 us he no where the goal is if u look at he previous team