Millwall striker credits Ed Upson for goal against Brentford

LEE Gregory says his goal against Brentford owed a lot to Ed Upson's inch-perfect pass – and admits that's exactly the kind of service he thrives on.

Gregory took Upson's chipped through ball in his stride, rounded goalkeeper David Button and slotted the Lions into the lead at Griffin Park to finish off a well-worked move.

"Neil Harris was telling us before the game that Brentford would be quite open at the back so we wanted to get balls over the top a lot quicker than we have been doing," Gregory said.

"That's what we did and we got a lot of joy from that.

"For the goal, I saw Aiden O'Brien set the ball back to Ed and I got on my bike – the pass made it for me because it enticed the 'keeper to come out.

"It made me it a lot easier for me, so credit to Ed for the through ball."

Gregory has often been starved of service this season – but hopes Harris' style of play will lead to him getting more chances.

"That's the type of player I am – on the shoulder looking for through balls or little passes over the top," he added.

"That's exactly what Ed gave me on Saturday. And it wasn't an aimless ball forward, he knew where I was going to be and he put the ball right where I wanted it.

"I've not really had much of that this season.

"Recently I've started getting a lot of chances, which I'm happy about, although I have missed a few of them. Everyone misses chances and at least I'm getting in good positions.

"When you miss a chance, it gets you down in the dumps. If I was missing chances but the team was winning, then I wouldn't be as bothered.

"When we're losing and I miss a chance, it does get on me a little bit. But as a striker you need to forget about them.

"Each game is different and you have to focus on taking your opportunities in the next game.

"I want to make more chances because the more chances you create, the more goals you score. When you're only getting one chance or a half-chance, it's tough."

22 thoughts on “Millwall striker credits Ed Upson for goal against Brentford

• March 25, 2015 at 10:30

I really do think that next season with Gregory, O'Brien, Fred and with Rylah and Kyron Farrell pushing for places we will have a pacey front line.
    Is Maggie on contract until the end of the season or longer? He is one who I think could be a really good player with good feet and direct you do not get in the Everton squad without having something about you, but, he seems to not be able to get into a game.

• March 25, 2015 at 11:21

@lennie the lion: I think Gueye was signed on a one year deal. Not to sure about him myself. He's probably on a big wedge having come from Everton and I don't know if we have seen enough from him. On the other hand he hasn't had a run in the side. Difficult one.

• March 25, 2015 at 11:31

@lennie the lion: maggie 1 year deal, 1 year option in our favour. Agree difficult one, could run riot in div 1 if retained.

• March 25, 2015 at 12:57

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fred-onyedinma/profil/spieler/305274 this site has most of the players contract length on it. Fred's expires this summer not sure what to think about that one. If you actually look at our squad we will definitely only be able to retain about 10 players from the squad next season with all the other ones out of contract and on loan. @bollocky:

• March 25, 2015 at 14:41

@SE17 Lion: Don't wanna be too hard on a young player but...forget Paris Hilton he's so injury prone that he's never gonna come good. He had a few good games for Wycombe (one against us in the crap1 cup, which the clown saw and was taken in) and then invariably got injured. Ok give him another chance early next season and, if as I predict, he keeps gettin injured then we must get shot of im

• March 25, 2015 at 10:53

A hatrick against the trainspotters & a couple from aiden would be nice. Coyl

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.