O'Brien: Millwall haven't given up on Championship status

AIDEN O'Brien is "not thinking about League One" and insists victory over Brighton tonight can put Millwall back in the fight for survival.

The Lions, who are nine points adrift of safety in 23rd place, host the Seagulls at The Den before travelling to Brentford on Saturday ahead of a two-week international break.

"We can still stay up," O'Brien said. "If we win tonight and beat Brentford, we're back in it.

"It's not entered my mind that we're going down to League One. Until we're 100 percent down, we're not thinking about League One."

O'Brien was denied his first senior goal by Bolton keeper Ben Amos at the weekend.

The 21-year-old was put through on goal by Lee Gregory but saw his effort parried to safety.

"As a striker you've got to forget about it and move onto the next game," O'Brien added.

"It was playing on my mind after the game but, the day after, it was all forgotten about and my focus was on Brighton. I'll get another chance and next time I'll put it away.

"I thought I played alright and the team did well – obviously we just didn't take our chances."

Interim boss Neil Harris was quick to put a consoling arm around O'Brien when he was substiuted after 81 minutes.

"He knows you're going to miss some and score some," said O'Brien. "Those ones usually go in but that will be in the net next time.

"If I'd finished that chance, I'd have repaid the manager's faith in starting me but I think I played well enough to show him that I'm ready.

"I'm getting closer to my first goal. Norwich's keeper just got a hand to my lob and I had one cleared off the line against Sheffield Wednesday, but it's coming."

35 thoughts on “O'Brien: Millwall haven't given up on Championship status

• March 17, 2015 at 09:14

Stupid comment really, as professionals you should never give up!
    Then again it's obviously Aidens turn to talk the talk instead of actually doing the business, I'm guessing Alan Dunne is probably gone on holiday somewhere as he is banned for next two games(thank god)

• March 17, 2015 at 09:26

@dpendet: he's just saying he's up for a fight! Support the youngsters ffs otherwise they won't wanna play for us.

• March 17, 2015 at 09:31

@steveomfc5: he should be up for the fight, it's what he's paid to do! As for supporting the youngsters, I have said many times they should be in the first team now in preparation for next season, we have some good uns, the likes of Fred, Thompson, Nelson, Safia, Obrien etc, our future

• March 17, 2015 at 09:36

@dpendet: Unfair criticism on him mate! Worked his nuts off every time he has played for us, who knows whether he will make it or not but for me was a stand out on Saturday (I was actually at the game) and he will only get better with time.

• March 17, 2015 at 09:56

@Omer Ronayne: not criticising his football ability at all and like him as a player. Just hate it when players, not just Aiden come on NAD talking the talk

• March 17, 2015 at 09:36

@dpendet: hes not payed to put up with b******* from fans like you.ffs give the lad a chance

• March 17, 2015 at 11:37

@Jim28: that's absolutely part of what they're paid for

• March 17, 2015 at 10:10

@dpendet: well all of us fans have given up

• March 17, 2015 at 13:36

@dpendet: Why do you feel the need to criticize one of our up and coming youngsters? He will probably read this and how is that possibly good for confidence? The lad has to speak to the Media and he has to show a positive attitude in front of them. come on.

• March 17, 2015 at 14:37

@lyndonlion: where did I critize his footballing ability then?

• March 17, 2015 at 18:20

@dpendet: haha take no notice of some of the w*** on here mate! It's ok when they say something! A striker is paid to score goals and if they don't take them ppl are entitled to get on their case! Not to the extent that a lot of fans do at the den. Some of our support wonder why players don't like playing in front of our own fans! Some of our fans are our own worst enemy!

I'm not really bothered about his scoring more worried about the bit where we might stay up!! Haha! We would all want that of course we do but we are w*** and will lose most of our games if not all we have remaining! Got the same s*** squad with the same calamity in goal and forwards who couldn't score in a brothel and I hope the players do read this but I'm sure they must have more important things to do in their spare time being wage thieves an all!

If anyone really thinks we will stay up ur even more deluded than holloway!

• March 17, 2015 at 09:14

This is the pairing i wanted to see all season o'brien is just the partner greggory has been looking for.on the few occasions they have paired we look dangerous....bring on the seagulls so we can shoot you down..milllllllll

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.