O'Brien: Millwall haven't given up on Championship status

AIDEN O'Brien is "not thinking about League One" and insists victory over Brighton tonight can put Millwall back in the fight for survival.

The Lions, who are nine points adrift of safety in 23rd place, host the Seagulls at The Den before travelling to Brentford on Saturday ahead of a two-week international break.

"We can still stay up," O'Brien said. "If we win tonight and beat Brentford, we're back in it.

"It's not entered my mind that we're going down to League One. Until we're 100 percent down, we're not thinking about League One."

O'Brien was denied his first senior goal by Bolton keeper Ben Amos at the weekend.

The 21-year-old was put through on goal by Lee Gregory but saw his effort parried to safety.

"As a striker you've got to forget about it and move onto the next game," O'Brien added.

"It was playing on my mind after the game but, the day after, it was all forgotten about and my focus was on Brighton. I'll get another chance and next time I'll put it away.

"I thought I played alright and the team did well – obviously we just didn't take our chances."

Interim boss Neil Harris was quick to put a consoling arm around O'Brien when he was substiuted after 81 minutes.

"He knows you're going to miss some and score some," said O'Brien. "Those ones usually go in but that will be in the net next time.

"If I'd finished that chance, I'd have repaid the manager's faith in starting me but I think I played well enough to show him that I'm ready.

"I'm getting closer to my first goal. Norwich's keeper just got a hand to my lob and I had one cleared off the line against Sheffield Wednesday, but it's coming."

35 thoughts on “O'Brien: Millwall haven't given up on Championship status

• March 17, 2015 at 09:14

Stupid comment really, as professionals you should never give up!
    Then again it's obviously Aidens turn to talk the talk instead of actually doing the business, I'm guessing Alan Dunne is probably gone on holiday somewhere as he is banned for next two games(thank god)

• March 17, 2015 at 09:26

@dpendet: he's just saying he's up for a fight! Support the youngsters ffs otherwise they won't wanna play for us.

• March 17, 2015 at 09:31

@steveomfc5: he should be up for the fight, it's what he's paid to do! As for supporting the youngsters, I have said many times they should be in the first team now in preparation for next season, we have some good uns, the likes of Fred, Thompson, Nelson, Safia, Obrien etc, our future

• March 17, 2015 at 09:36

@dpendet: Unfair criticism on him mate! Worked his nuts off every time he has played for us, who knows whether he will make it or not but for me was a stand out on Saturday (I was actually at the game) and he will only get better with time.

• March 17, 2015 at 09:56

@Omer Ronayne: not criticising his football ability at all and like him as a player. Just hate it when players, not just Aiden come on NAD talking the talk

• March 17, 2015 at 09:36

@dpendet: hes not payed to put up with b******* from fans like you.ffs give the lad a chance

• March 17, 2015 at 11:37

@Jim28: that's absolutely part of what they're paid for

• March 17, 2015 at 13:36

@dpendet: Why do you feel the need to criticize one of our up and coming youngsters? He will probably read this and how is that possibly good for confidence? The lad has to speak to the Media and he has to show a positive attitude in front of them. come on.

• March 17, 2015 at 18:20

@dpendet: haha take no notice of some of the w*** on here mate! It's ok when they say something! A striker is paid to score goals and if they don't take them ppl are entitled to get on their case! Not to the extent that a lot of fans do at the den. Some of our support wonder why players don't like playing in front of our own fans! Some of our fans are our own worst enemy!

I'm not really bothered about his scoring more worried about the bit where we might stay up!! Haha! We would all want that of course we do but we are w*** and will lose most of our games if not all we have remaining! Got the same s*** squad with the same calamity in goal and forwards who couldn't score in a brothel and I hope the players do read this but I'm sure they must have more important things to do in their spare time being wage thieves an all!

If anyone really thinks we will stay up ur even more deluded than holloway!

• March 17, 2015 at 09:14

This is the pairing i wanted to see all season o'brien is just the partner greggory has been looking for.on the few occasions they have paired we look dangerous....bring on the seagulls so we can shoot you down..milllllllll

• March 17, 2015 at 09:26

Simple facts are we need to win 6 out our last 9 games.
    We have only won 7 all season.
    Not impossible but highly unlikely.
    To say tonight is a must win is an understatement..
    COYL.

• March 17, 2015 at 10:09

@Longfield Lion: It's all guesswork with predictions, but even before Saturday I thought we needed to win seven of our last ten to be sure of survival, which I fear is way beyond us. Whatever happens, a win tonight is vital to restore some pride and belief again.

• March 17, 2015 at 10:41

@Micky Lions: Agree Micky,I just gave the facts that 6 wins and a draw would give us 50 points - enough to stay up - who knows ?
        As you say a win a must tonight for lots of reasons is vital.

• March 17, 2015 at 09:27

Good link up play between greggs & obrien not just Saturday but on the rare occasion coco played them together. Stick with them & I think the goals will come starting with the slags from the south coast.

• March 17, 2015 at 10:25

There really are some massive bell ends on this site (Dpendet)
    Nothing positive to say regardless of the story..
    Would you prefer players to come out and say "well to be honest we're not really bothered about the remaining 9 games, what's the point, everyone knows we'll be playing in league 1 next season so that's what we're gonna focus on"

Just stop posting pointless, negative rubbish..

• March 17, 2015 at 10:33

@ettieneverveer: i bet when the sun came out last week he had a moan saying its to hot..dpendet by name dpendet by nature

• March 17, 2015 at 11:22

@Jim28: ok Jim, I'll be positive, it's been a great season, seen some wonderful games, plenty of goals, left the Den every other Saturday with a huge smile on my face and popped the cork on the champagne! Is that better you p****, be realistic I'm f***** off and frustrated with the s*** I've witnessed this season, I hate my team losing!!!

• March 17, 2015 at 12:12

@ettieneverveer: would love to be positive, but 5 wins in the last 35 games is shocking! I can honestly say theat in 35 years of been a regular at the den this has been the worst season ever, I want this season to end, but before it ends want the youngsters in the team to see what they can do in preparation for next season!

• March 17, 2015 at 16:23

@ettieneverveer:
      I have been saying that for over a year. I used to try to contribute to the site, now I just tell people exactly what they are! Too many complete dribbling retards on here, FACT. All they do is talk s***, in the last few days harris has been slagged off, people have suggested gus poyet as the manger, also rekon we could get his son down with him, now someones having a dig at obrien. Its all so unbelievable It's funny. I've also been called a palace fan (ouch) all because I know more about football than the mong I was arguing with. It's a shame we've turned out like this because being hard back in the day was more than being able to give it on a forum and abuse youngsters, now days all the Warriors come on here after school, or when they've been released for the day out the nut house and just fill the site with b*******. I know about 50+ Millwall fans (mates, acquaintances), and let me tell you, every single one ive had a conversation with about this site says the same thing: IDIOTS! Look on HOF, news at den is full of idiots! Look on North stand banter, news at den is full of idiots! I'm in a minority on here, but everywhere else people no what to expect from this site........ COMPLETE b*******

• March 17, 2015 at 17:14

@82wall: what a p**** you are, talking a load of s***, dribbling on! Shall we all agree with you? Reckon you need to go on Jeremy Kyle you interbred c***

• March 18, 2015 at 00:01

@dpendet:
          Interbred c***? Fancy giving me your email address or phone number so we can arrange a meet and you can say that to my face? I'm 100% serious, if your up for it I'll meet u anywhere Anytime and make you Eat your own d*** you f****** slimey little c***. I hope your mum dies of cancer you c***.

• March 18, 2015 at 01:10

@82wall: truth hurts, interbred c*** eat s*** and die.s*** me off pal not family, close relative died of cancer recently so thanks for that comment, hope it doesn't come back and bite you, also remember Super Neil had the big C as well, you horrible nasty person

• March 17, 2015 at 11:22

I have read several negative comments recently regarding Dunne. Although I agree with his performance not being at his very best recently (some better, some worse), but a player who has always been playing for us, going up and down with this club he deserves a little bit more than brainless comments. Just my opinion...

• March 17, 2015 at 11:48

I didn't say he should be playing and I agree with you that he not at his best anymore. All I said is that some people make a lot of inappropriate comments in my opinion and someone like him deserves a little bit more respect. I would say there are a lot of players who don't give a f*** and would just pi*s of when things are getting difficult but he didn't.

• March 17, 2015 at 18:26

You for real! What so play a bloke just because he is millwall thru n thru! Haha laughable f****** stop smoking that crack! U play ur best team and he wouldn't get in any reserve side! Makes me wonder when a lot of our support think he's good! Maybe these ppl should follow another sport because obviously anyone who rates him knows absolutely f*** all about football!

• March 17, 2015 at 12:15

Don't worry Aiden im sure your goal is just around the corner as for staying up im not sure if by some miracle we did it would be for the best for the club we have been very poor for a couple of seasons now ,and the thought of more of the same in the championship would be soul destroying .
    I think this squad would struggle yet again maybe its better to start again with a young team and new manager in league one

• March 17, 2015 at 14:59

do the biz Aiden its long overdue, Good luck son milllllllllll

• March 17, 2015 at 18:09

Aiden this is your chance to become a hero ....9 games to play ...show the football world how great youre gonna be.....you are this clubs top man

• March 17, 2015 at 18:18

Whilst I have nothing against Aidan - he is hardly an expert - not played 10 games and not scored a goal - here he is saying this and that. He has a lot to learn - if he is picked tonight hope he scores a hat trick. However, a game like tonight needs experience, skill, speed, know how, height and someone who can turn a game - much like he kept us up last year and he did - THE HOFF is needed in order to lay off balls for gregs - this match is crying out for him come on BOMBER forget past put him in and let aiden come on later when the HOFF has pulled their defence apart and knackered them.
    YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE BOMBER. HOFF IN HOFF IN WHEN DO WE WANT IT NOW HOFF IN.