Millwall boss wants quality in final third against Brighton

NEIL Harris wants to see a bit more quality in the final third from his Millwall side when they host Brighton at The Den tonight.

Harris felt that the Lions' final ball was the only thing letting them down at Bolton on Saturday – but hopes they'll find a killer instinct against the Seagulls.

He said: "I've watched the game back a couple of times over the weekend and I was absolutely delighted with the players.

"We had so much possession and carried most of the attacking threat, just without the quality in the final third – and that was the big difference.

"We've got some experienced players so they know what the difference is. Things have to gell together.

"I said to them 'don't be naive to think that a change of manager brings a change of fortune' because there's a different style of play and I'm asking them to do different things.

"It will come together piece by piece but we haven't got all the time in the world – we're not in pre-season – and results are ridiculously important.

"The difference on Saturday was in the penalty area."

Harris deployed a 4-4-2 formation at the Macron Stadium but with a third central midfielder – Ed Upson – playing on the left wing.

That was a tactic often used by Harris' former Millwall manager Kenny Jackett.

"Norwich came and did the same at our place ten days ago, and I've seen top Premier League sides do it," explained the Lions' interim boss.

"It's not reinventing the wheel, I'll pick personnel based on what the players have done in training, the opposition we're playing against and possibly a gut feeling as well.

"I said to the boys when I took over that what's gone is gone.

"Some things will be in my mind – I've seen the home games and a few away ones – but I’ll pick a team based on what happens now.

"I did that to a certain degree with my team and the substitutes at Bolton."

26 thoughts on “Millwall boss wants quality in final third against Brighton

• March 17, 2015 at 12:01

Good luck bomber, we're all behind you mate. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• March 17, 2015 at 12:43

I wish people would get off gregorys back yes things are not going his way as far as scoring but he is getting in the right positions and he is hitting the target the vast majority of times,its not his fault if their goalkeeper does his job well ,the thing is gregory is not missing by shooting well wide or being guilty of blatent misses,so all you knockers out there lay off him,i can remember alan shearer could not buy a goal for england but venerables stuck with him and he came good ,this is greggs first full season since coming from non league so i think he is doing ok.
    Also all you lot that knock Hoff ,yes he leaves a lot to be desired,but i would take a bet that we have won more points with him in the team than without him over this season and last season (some one should have the stats on that one).
    IN other words shut the f**k up and get down the den tonight and support Millwall.
    Well done to you lot that went to Bolton Bomber and the team welcomed your support,now let all the rest of us follow your example and do better big time tonight.

• March 17, 2015 at 15:40

@jim1222: HI JIM1222, YES GOOD POST! LETS ALL DO THE BUSINESS THIS EVENING AT THE DEN, ESPECIALLY AFTER A FEW JARS AT THE BLUE ANCHOR.SUES READY TO CHEER SUPER - NEIL TO VICTORY. 'NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE' STORMIN' NORMAN.

• March 17, 2015 at 16:54

@jim1222: What is overlooked is that Gregory has been making runs that have not been picked up by his team mates..... And you have to be in the correct position to pick up the ball... To either score or miss

Gregory will come good

• March 17, 2015 at 17:29

@jim1222: I agree too. Moro didn't set the world alight on arrival and neither did Harris. Gregs movement is quality. It's a complete lack of quality behind him that is not helping. I imagine if he was playing for a team chasing promotion with players who can play the right pass at the right time, he'd be amongst those going for the golden boot. COYL

• March 17, 2015 at 13:26

we are caught a bit halfway - still playing out this season, but thinking about next really
    My fear is that there wont be a big enough clear out - I think we have a number of players who have accepted life as losers and that will carry over to next year if we don't cull intelligently - We need a fresh feel next year with no scapegoats. They have to be a squad - a good blend of youth and experience with something to prove

• March 17, 2015 at 13:27

Neil, respect to you son, but we have wanted quality in the final third since you packed it in and Morrison left ! Woods i know but he was on loan.

• March 17, 2015 at 14:18

Good luck to tonight, but priority must be to fix the defence! George Graham always said build from the back and that is Millwall's Achilles heel. It is going to take time though.

• March 17, 2015 at 14:30

Come on u lions get a good win 2 night we need 2 boost our confidence back up milllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• March 17, 2015 at 14:43

lets try a team without alan dunne in it and see how the defence get on. I'm not saying its ALL his fault he is a liability, I've seen enough this season to be able to ask why the eff is he captain!?!?

• March 17, 2015 at 15:55

I Agree with getting off players back and getting behind the team totally!!! The only thing i disagree on is gregorys poor finishing. You cant miss the amount of chances he has and not expect people to put a rocket up his a***. He missess at least 1 OneonOne a week or tap ins. I Hope things come good for him and us and he turns into the new bomber but sometimes you have to accept criticism when in that form.
    Theres no excuses when your in a rutt. You either take chances and we stay up or you fluff em and go down (That goes for whole the team not just him). Anyway...... 4-0 tonight Gregory hatrick.

• March 17, 2015 at 16:41

I cant see us getting anything tonight . 0-2

• March 17, 2015 at 16:51

@baz2262: full of hope you mate nothing like a bit of morel support aaaaaaaaaa

• March 17, 2015 at 17:37

Been in the blu anchor had to come out..poxy paddy music..stormin i'am in the spoons

• March 17, 2015 at 17:39

Not sure why but I have a feeling we may beat Brighton by two clear goals tonight! The revival starts here!

• March 17, 2015 at 18:12

I've not criticised Gregory but the fact remains he is still learning at this level and over the course of this season has missed probably 10 very good chances which a more seasoned striker may've buried. Like it or not those 10 or so chances might've made all the difference but we are not where we are just because he hasn't been able to convert his chances there are other areas of deficiency in most areas. We need to replace Malone, we need a CB to play with Beevers, Forde has been below par, Bailey, Martin, Harding, Hof & Fuller are all either injury prone or simply not good enough and if poss shipped out. We've got some bright kids in Powell, Fred, O'Brien & Sid, team those with Paris, Williams, Upson, Woolford & Gueye that's not a bad base to build a side around. Not sure how much 'Jimmy' has in his legs and maybe Dunney should be put out to graze but Gregory may get a little more time next season in Lge One. I'd like to see a strike force of Gregory & Gueye, defenders don't like pace. And those two gave that in spades. Anyway that's for next season so for now COYL!

• March 17, 2015 at 18:35

Not being funny but am I missing something previously, Harris coached the under21s but if you had a guy that could finish like this guy why wouldn't you have him sharpening up the first team?