Millwall boss wants quality in final third against Brighton

NEIL Harris wants to see a bit more quality in the final third from his Millwall side when they host Brighton at The Den tonight.

Harris felt that the Lions' final ball was the only thing letting them down at Bolton on Saturday – but hopes they'll find a killer instinct against the Seagulls.

He said: "I've watched the game back a couple of times over the weekend and I was absolutely delighted with the players.

"We had so much possession and carried most of the attacking threat, just without the quality in the final third – and that was the big difference.

"We've got some experienced players so they know what the difference is. Things have to gell together.

"I said to them 'don't be naive to think that a change of manager brings a change of fortune' because there's a different style of play and I'm asking them to do different things.

"It will come together piece by piece but we haven't got all the time in the world – we're not in pre-season – and results are ridiculously important.

"The difference on Saturday was in the penalty area."

Harris deployed a 4-4-2 formation at the Macron Stadium but with a third central midfielder – Ed Upson – playing on the left wing.

That was a tactic often used by Harris' former Millwall manager Kenny Jackett.

"Norwich came and did the same at our place ten days ago, and I've seen top Premier League sides do it," explained the Lions' interim boss.

"It's not reinventing the wheel, I'll pick personnel based on what the players have done in training, the opposition we're playing against and possibly a gut feeling as well.

"I said to the boys when I took over that what's gone is gone.

"Some things will be in my mind – I've seen the home games and a few away ones – but I’ll pick a team based on what happens now.

"I did that to a certain degree with my team and the substitutes at Bolton."

26 thoughts on “Millwall boss wants quality in final third against Brighton

• March 17, 2015 at 12:01

Good luck bomber, we're all behind you mate. Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• March 17, 2015 at 12:43

I wish people would get off gregorys back yes things are not going his way as far as scoring but he is getting in the right positions and he is hitting the target the vast majority of times,its not his fault if their goalkeeper does his job well ,the thing is gregory is not missing by shooting well wide or being guilty of blatent misses,so all you knockers out there lay off him,i can remember alan shearer could not buy a goal for england but venerables stuck with him and he came good ,this is greggs first full season since coming from non league so i think he is doing ok.
    Also all you lot that knock Hoff ,yes he leaves a lot to be desired,but i would take a bet that we have won more points with him in the team than without him over this season and last season (some one should have the stats on that one).
    IN other words shut the f**k up and get down the den tonight and support Millwall.
    Well done to you lot that went to Bolton Bomber and the team welcomed your support,now let all the rest of us follow your example and do better big time tonight.

• March 17, 2015 at 12:55

@nocalves: @jim1222: Moro was exactly the same. He came good in the end.

• March 17, 2015 at 13:17

@jim1222: I actually agree with PP1.

• March 17, 2015 at 13:34

@block 28: X X X X X

• March 17, 2015 at 15:40

@jim1222: HI JIM1222, YES GOOD POST! LETS ALL DO THE BUSINESS THIS EVENING AT THE DEN, ESPECIALLY AFTER A FEW JARS AT THE BLUE ANCHOR.SUES READY TO CHEER SUPER - NEIL TO VICTORY. 'NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE' STORMIN' NORMAN.

• March 17, 2015 at 16:54

@jim1222: What is overlooked is that Gregory has been making runs that have not been picked up by his team mates..... And you have to be in the correct position to pick up the ball... To either score or miss

Gregory will come good

• March 17, 2015 at 17:29

@jim1222: I agree too. Moro didn't set the world alight on arrival and neither did Harris. Gregs movement is quality. It's a complete lack of quality behind him that is not helping. I imagine if he was playing for a team chasing promotion with players who can play the right pass at the right time, he'd be amongst those going for the golden boot. COYL

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.