Harris: Millwall were the better team despite Bolton defeat

NEIL Harris was encouraged by Millwall's performance against Bolton despite their 2-0 defeat at the Macron Stadium.

Harris was taking charge of the Lions for the first time since being installed as the club's interim manager but Adam Le Fondre's brace gave the hosts victory.

Lee Gregory and Aiden O'Brien both missed one-on-ones as the Lions, despite a much-improved performance, fell to their fifth straight defeat.

But Harris, assessing his managerial debut, said: "There were loads of positives.

"Firstly, I'm disappointed we got beat but the positives were the chances we created, the manner in which we played and the fact we had a right good go in the second half.

"I asked the boys at half time to be disappointed with the scoreline but not despondent or too down because I wanted a big second half from them.

"Barring the fact that we didn't get on the scoresheet, I thought we were certainly the much better team in the second half.

"Adam Le Fondre scores two good goals, whereas Aiden and Lee didn't score.

"The moves to get them in were both really good and they've both hit the target, but obviously at least one of them should be going in the net.

"For most of the game we were the better team and we had the better chances. The fans stayed at the end to clap the players off and that's a huge turning point for the boys."

Harris' first team selection showed four changes from the previous week's 4-1 loss to Norwich, as well as a more straightforward formation.

He added: "We weren't naive enough to think that we could turn up after a couple days' work and be the finished article – anyone that thinks that is a long way off the mark.

"There are going to be grey areas and personnel changes over the coming weeks but 4-4-2 was the way we wanted to play against Bolton.

"There were no preconceived ideas when we started training on Tuesday – I gave the players the opportunity to impress and saw a lot of positives in the group."

Defeat leaves the Lions nine points from safety ahead of Tuesday's home clash with Brighton.

"We're in a difficult position," said Harris. "There are no promises being made about what we're going to do until the end of the season.

"The target is to win a game as quickly as possible and see where it takes us. We can only go one game at a time and try to improve on recent defeats.

"There's been a lot of negativity at the club, mainly because of results.

"Ian Holloway worked his socks off to drag us out of it, it hasn't quite happened and I think the players have felt the negativity on the pitch.

"I've told them to express themselves and play. It's important for the future of the club that we compete and play in the right manner for the next nine games."

86 thoughts on “Harris: Millwall were the better team despite Bolton defeat

• March 14, 2015 at 18:12

yes but two bad goals defensively - I would have liked to heard that addressed - no comment on that is not a god sign - we need someone who has an answer to goals conceded - it wont happen by accident

• March 14, 2015 at 18:37

@lion.ie:

that is not my point as you well know - good managers identify weaknesses early - it is not as if Harris has just jetted in from Siberia, he knows these players

ultimately we lost and he said we were the better team - well I don't want to hear that because that is what Holloway said - we weren't the better team; they scored 2 and we scored nil - I want him to say we weren't good enough in these areas and do something about it - what difference does it make if he was a good player for us ??

• March 14, 2015 at 19:05

@timchimes: I think the point he has made is that they have Adam Le Fondre and we don't. I haven't seen the goals yet so will reserve judgement, unlike some others on here who are already pointing fingers, but we have been conceding all season and Harris does not have the luxury of shoring up the defence to play for draws in our position with 10 games left (now nine). He needs to find an attacking threat and unfortunately with the personnel he has inherited this will carry risks of continuing to concede. What would be disappointing is if we continue to concede multiple goals from set-pieces because any decent coach should be able to correct this quickly. We were the 'better team' for periods under Holloway but didn't create much and folded if we conceded. That seems to have already improved and his comments reflect that, albeit the result remained the same. Give the fella a chance Tim, he may not be good enough, but one game in and there is already criticism. The 'experienced' Holloway still has supporters after a dismal reign of 62 games.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:40

@lion.ie:

I agree with you - I am not on his case about the performance because I didn't see it - nor do I expect him to save us - I was commenting on the remarks made by managers after games - the smart ones say smart things - personally I want mangers when we have lost to say that we did some things well but the most important things we did wrong ( they scored goals perhaps they shouldn't have and we didn't create enough chances)
            You often hear under pressure managers say 'we go again' that is a sure fire bet that they don't have any answers - what, go again in the same way and lose again - I want mangers who learn from the experience - perhaps Harris will prove good at that ; time will tell - We have heard about the positives for 2 years

• March 15, 2015 at 09:46

@timchimes: I was not at the match so cannot have an opinion based on first hand experience.
          However, I do not think that NH is a bullshitter.... So if he says we were the better team.... That isgood enough for me.
          Sometimes you lose when you are the better team, sometimes you win when you are not.... As long as NH is happy with the performance, at this moment in time that is good enough.
          He has best of intentions for the club...... End of

• March 15, 2015 at 09:46

@timchimes: the first goal maybe but the second was a screamer that was worthy of any premiership striker

• March 16, 2015 at 11:21

@Geoff the lion: Great strike yes, but he had so much time, as Dunne stood off him, he could do what he liked.

• March 15, 2015 at 15:57

whoever thinks that not highlighting the mistakes at the back which led to the goals is a bad thing then they obviously don't understand football. At the moment all we need is for the players to feel confident and that's going to come from the manager and the fans, therefore you can't publicly blame a player for the goal, hence the reason why NH has not mentioned it and is focusing on one game at a time.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:15

As I've said all season, If you don't score goals you don't win games.If you don't win games you get relagated.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:19

im sure it'll come good for ya neil! good luck mate, still much more positives than what we would of got from ollie. COYL!!!

• March 14, 2015 at 18:23

Come on Neil I'll back you but dont go down the same road as Holloway with post match nonsense.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:36

@eddielarge: What the f*** do you want him to say? You my old mukka are another suspect poster on here and one I believe that should be booted for spouting more b***** than IH on speed.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:22

@nocalves: is that right,I happen to be on his side and want people to stay off his back whatever the results to the end of the season,but cliches are not what we need.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:42

@eddielarge:

I agree with you actually - talk is cheap - I don't want to hear the cliché about we can take positives from this - this is not about being unrealistic about what Harris can do but for once hearing some one saying something honest and intelligent

• March 14, 2015 at 19:58

@eddielarge: @timchimes: Having silly bollx Tinchtimes agree with you isn't a good thing. What do you want bomber to say? There all c**** in the team, couldn't hit a barn door to save their lives? can't defend for toffee? People like you (see how I don't use the term supporters, as I don't believe either of you are) can only moan, once we start winning again you'll not be posting on here. FACT!

• March 14, 2015 at 20:43

@nocalves: I've already got my season ticket for next year so that clears that up,I'll still be posting on here win or lose so that Clear s that up,a healthy debate is what its all about.my old mukka.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:27

We need u on the pitch neil u will score a f****** goal

• March 15, 2015 at 12:03

The thing is right yeah no matter what happens were going down Ian Holloway should of been sacked before xmas his only won 7 games in the championship which isn't good enough

• March 14, 2015 at 18:38

We are actually 10 points from safety not 9 because of our inability to stop leaking bloody stupid goals. What on earth was Hoover doing on the edge of Boltons area in normal play, suicide.

• March 14, 2015 at 18:40

the bottom line is fondre had three chances took two , we had 3 or 4 good chances like all season didnt take them, harris is stuck with what he is left with , he tried thats all he can do , we have to look to the summer when all these lone players are gone , we can have a clean sweep it might take a little while to put the mess ollie has left , hope the club will learn next season that lone players dont work , the football sounded a lot more positive , hated ollies tippy tapp football, we cant be to hard on chopper its not his fought we aint got a goal scorer and thats why we lost , there aint no point going and trying to draw games , we went for it and thats good enough for me , chopper put his self forward so i think as millwall fans we should praise him for that , ollie is to blame for this mess not chopper ,

• March 14, 2015 at 18:44

Not a fan of loan players but GTF ran his nuts off & helped obrien & greggs. Hoov has gone off the boil he was caught out for the first goal & was up the other end of the pitch for the second. Other than that we looked a lot better than recent weeks.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:15

@block 28: That's what GTF does block28 but unfortunately we needed to loan a goalscorer.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:38

@block 28: spot on...cant understand the b******* i've read about dunne&forde..when it was the dutchman who f***** up on both goals..your right bout GTF ...

• March 15, 2015 at 10:01

@Jim28: I agree jim although I'm not dunnes biggest fan and forde has had a pretty crap season. I think we need a reality check though! Obrien is still a baby and yet to find himself. Gregory jumped 2 divisions and was expected to perform like he did at Halifax! I think that was naive to say the least. Fuller is past it at this level. Midfield isn't the worst I've seen but let's face it, we've got about 50 of em to choose from! Dunne is the weak link in defence and hoov gets caught out of position cos he's up field trying to make up for strikers that couldn't score in a brothel. 9 points isn't the end of the world but the teams around all have goals in them. If chopper had 15 or 20 games left then maybe he could drag us out of it by shear guts, but this a too bigger ask. If I were him, I'd be playing all the home grown young blood and the players he wants to keep next season. At least he will have a team that have played together, understand his tactics and stand a chance of bouncing back to the championship

• March 14, 2015 at 18:45

Millwall were the better team for large periods of that game, yes!! but defensive mistakes, and not taking our chances seems to be the millwall way at present, it's not your fault bomber, but while your here for the rest of the season your gonna have to make some tough choices especially with out back four/GK, Forde has been out of sorts for ages, and althought Dunne may be the model professional off the pitch and in training he obviously isn't good enough to warrent being picked week in week out!!! You did manage to put some pride & effort back into the team, fair play, it'll come

• March 14, 2015 at 19:18

A lot of mugs having a pop on here about Harris already, absolute jokers the lot of ya.

• March 14, 2015 at 20:03

@rotherhamwall: what site you reading from what I've read I don't see anybody having a pop at Harris. Poxy northerner

• March 14, 2015 at 21:45

Northerner? Lived on silwood for years, have a read back and you will see what I mean.

• March 14, 2015 at 21:56

@rotherhamwall: sorry mate didn't see them phone signal cut out on the train when I got it bk read the next post. But why Rotherham

• March 14, 2015 at 19:27

I am so pleased IH has gone. Unfortunately though, as predicted, it took too long and the damage has well and truly been done. For people to expect Harris to keep us up is naive to say the least. To criticise him after one match and have a pop at him for being positive is pretty strong. This is the team that Holloway built, not Harris. The fact that there was a bit more fight today should encourage people to get behind him. He's not saying his post match comments in the same sort of tone that IH did. IH had an ego and personality which he thought was bigger than the club and too many people, JB included obviously thought he was too. What I see from Harris is an honest account of his team and performance and he is quite at liberty to take the positives and not dwell on the negatives. Get behind him and the team on Tuesday night, he's one of our own! EIO!

• March 14, 2015 at 19:48

@southlondon1885:

I don't think anyone is having a go at Harris, but you have to dwell on the negatives ; that's how you learn from them

what good did Holloway's positivity do - you need honest appraisals and good analysis and a plan to change weaknesses , not constantly massaging the egos of players who make key mistakes -

• March 14, 2015 at 23:39

@timchimes: We all know what the negatives are. Harris knows what the negatives are. A lot of fans knew what the negatives were and finally the club acted on the main negative and weakness which was IH. Harris has inherited IH team and harping on about how useless most of them are isn't going to gee them up the final push. He needs to focus on the positives. If he said we're useless up front, our 'keeper is woeful and we cannot defend set pieces, what sort of attitude will the players turn up with on Tuesday evening? Just hope we can get a win on Tuesday night. I'm fed up of seeing us lose all the time. 442 is a very good start that's for sure.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:53

I did not expect Millwall too win today as much as I hoped they would have, the weaknesses are obvious, unable to score goals and vulnerable at the back I though Neil was a bit timid with his team selection todayI would rather he had dropped Dunne and Forde and played Gueye. However give him a chance, that's all we can do as the season is now lost.

• March 14, 2015 at 19:54

Some very good comments on here. Great to see Neil trying his best. We need a manger and a good number 2 . I just think we have to much of a missh mash of players. Lomas players and holloway players. We need to bring in new defence for next year. Millwall have alway been a team hard to beat. My I just add , holloway lost it for me , hiding in the dugout .

• March 14, 2015 at 21:13

'Millwall have alway been a team hard to beat.'

I don't know how long you've been going wall but that hasn't been true in all the time I've been going. Regularly seen us get spanked and roll over, sorry but it's true.

• March 14, 2015 at 22:00

@teddy.T: Lomas players and Holloway Pl ayers what a load of cobblers. There millwall players and the s*** period no matter who bought them in

• March 14, 2015 at 19:57

I don't care who reads this nor give a f*** to all the w*** on here that want to suck him off but dunne has got to go closely followed by forde!

• March 14, 2015 at 20:58

@millwalltel: agree with you forde was past it months ago it's the old pals act neil must know how useless he is.Forget he is your old mate and drop him.

• March 14, 2015 at 21:47

@millwalltel: Got that right. Forde should go. He reminds me of a bag of wet cement rolling off a table. As for Dunne well, never mind his marking skills-he couldn't find his a*** with a piece of toilet paper ffs.

• March 14, 2015 at 21:10

The blokes had one game ffs, start moaning after 62 games like coco got. Rome wasn't built in a day.

• March 14, 2015 at 21:17

What do we expect him to say ?
    "that's it we're down"
    We're just not good enough"
    "we need a decent striker"
    of course he aint , let's not read into post match interviews , Harris is a professional and his comments will remain that way whatever he's really thinking.
    Bring on Brighton and 3 points against the Anoraks !

• March 14, 2015 at 21:56

Harris: Millwall were the better team despite Bolton defeat

Aint that what Holloways said most of the season. What a load of b******* just admit we are s***

• March 14, 2015 at 23:11

@JordieLion: Just read the sky report and it said that in the second half exactly what Harris said, that we were the better team. What we are s*** at is scoring goals, and that puts more pressure on the defence and goalkeeper !

• March 14, 2015 at 22:26

Dear Sky Sports,

Please can you stick us on the tele for our last remaining matches. The two you have shown this season we have actually managed to win - I dunno what it is, maybe a lucky charm or something??

Please Sky, were on our knees here.

Yours faithfully, all those at the den

• March 14, 2015 at 23:21

listening to the game on lions player, can anyone tell me why fabrini wasn't playing? agree with most here week after week Dunne and Forde play c***. The only good thing was Cowan Hall was back.

• March 15, 2015 at 14:16

@bobsibley:
      Not sure why Fabrrini weren't playing. But , I'm glad he wasn't. For me , he's a greedy , non productive diver and I don't wanna see a Millwall team with his likes in it.

• March 15, 2015 at 15:16

Whereas I see a very talented player with great ball control who wins us plenty of free kicks because he is persistently fouled throughout the game.

You've only got another 9 games to endure before he's back to Watford and I dare say you won't see as skilful a player down the den in a wall shirt for many years.

• March 14, 2015 at 23:51

what do you think the crowd will be Tuesday ??

I think it is an essentially meaningless game - the board have written this season off, imo

their refusal to sack IH and then get in a proven manager suggests they are guessing at what to do

when you see how teams improve for getting a manager that knows what they are doing at WBA Villa Wigan (now) forest etc , you can only ask why we haven't bothered - at some point we need a good manager , why not do it now - sooner the better surely - it is crying out for experience and quality
    -- It doesn't make me want to go on Tuesday fuller GTF and Gregs huffing and puffing - may be the Hof , hoffing and certainly puffing -

• March 15, 2015 at 00:34

@timchimes: this is the kind of post that puts fans of going .if people were true fans they would go no matter the problems..truthfully do you go for the boards sake.(of cousre you dont).we go cos its what we do

• March 15, 2015 at 01:40

@Jim28: You are so right jim,we have 9 games left to try and stay up ,we need to support as much as we can,so these people who are giving negative post's at this particular time need to think again as most fans i talk to are resigned to going down,so bomber does'nt need any negativity ,just fans cheering the team off.
        From bombers post it seems that is what you and the rest did at bolton by staying and clapping them off,Bomber is stuck with the players he has got (whoever bought them in) so to help him we must do what the traveling fans did today,and that is stay and clap them off after the game no matter what the result.

• March 15, 2015 at 09:36

@jim1222: I understand what your saying but I think some people are just so frustrated with the s*** going on at the club they've lost heart. Mark my words our club won't improve until we get rif of Andy ambler and we have a chairman who is going to inject serious money into our club. We would all love to see Neil Harris do well but unfortunately he's been thrown in at the deep end, inherited a s****** than s*** squad and going in only one direction. If ppl really think we could pull out of it then not sure what they have been eating. I'm going to be mocked for this but it will do us a massive favour going down to rebuild. Staying in the championship will do us no favours look at the past 3 years! I for one am not going to pay 25 quid to go watch that dross when I can do better! It's like throwing money away! I think some of the mindless idiot fans we have at our club have ruined it for a lot of people. A lot of people I know use to go but not now cos of the idiots that spoil it for everyone else.

Until millwall fc is sorted out from the likes of Andy ambler then we're are only going one way and that's down.

• March 15, 2015 at 09:25

@timchimes: Bombers first 3 games in charge are the ones that decide where we'll be playing our football next season, i would have been over the moon with 7 points from the 9 on offer but that can't happen now, next best thing is 6 points and that is still achievable. Don't know how you can say brighton game is meaningless in that case because a win and we can go into brentford game with hope and make it a good day, got a seat brentford so can't wait. Like everyone I'm getting ready for next season in division 1 so I'm not deluded but i can't give up till the maths say so !

• March 15, 2015 at 12:19

@bollocky: sorry Bollocky. Don't agree with the comment the next 3 games will decide. It was the 37 that have been played that have decided next season unless ALL at Millwall pull off a bloody miracle

• March 16, 2015 at 11:40

@bollocky: Be truthful do anyone think we will get anything in the Brighton game the way they are playing?

• March 15, 2015 at 03:01

Not being to negative but I reckon we down well I'm all most sure we are. But being positive I can't wwait for next season now so we start rebuilding how wall Proper wall go down fighting. I don't think it be easy maybe take a few years but it be worth the wait. My 8 year old son said to me why do we all ways lose I said it's just a bad few years he said we'll dad I don't care as we r millwall it in my blood

• March 15, 2015 at 07:50

@neilwall: what a good lad,where we all started,this has been coming for a few seasons now ,seen it all before after 56 years supporting them long as we show show the Millwall spirit and go down fighting

• March 15, 2015 at 07:40

Better score against us I've seen most the season, to people saying Bomber is talking bs is talking out there ar*e just go back to holloways match talks, it was a story literally a massive page of boll*cks Neil knows where the improvements are needed and we have seen it on the score sheet not the one we wanted but oh well move on, like I said he is a stand in manager not a wizard, give him a chance not slate him

• March 15, 2015 at 09:49

We are s*** need a new manager now not in the summer what the f*** is goin on wiv our beloved millwall league 1 here we f***** go another 5 years in league 1 or more

• March 15, 2015 at 10:43

@I fear no foe: i understand your concern i don,t want to go div 1 , but lets all get a grip , a new manager would make no diff , he still has one of the worst disjointed group of players i have seen in a long while, no strikers , no defence, no back up keeper , cant lone any body cos the prev d*** we had used up all the lone we could have, lets be honest we have had two prev managers who have cost our club 2 million in compo, and a new manager would want his own staff more money, and what happens if it dont work , more compo, we should of gone down 2 or 3 seasons ago , the board must learn , maybe AA is to blame , for not getting a goal getter, he trusted ollie , and fell for all his b******* , fill sorry for chopper he is working with a load of tosh, bring on the summer stay with chopper and bring in a decent coach like a mark mcgee type who could work with the decent bunch of young players we have ,

• March 15, 2015 at 11:38

@munson68: I agree wiv u m8 it kills me where we are millwall till I die wot ever happens com on wall make us proud

• March 15, 2015 at 10:13

No wonder Holloway did not resign according to the Sunday papers he is due a pay off of £1 million
    pounds. That means £1 million less for any player purchases in the future. How is Ambler still in a job ?

• March 15, 2015 at 10:42

All the usual moaners are back where's all the positive posts gone. If you loved millwall you would be there argainst Brighton no matter what. If not stay away your not wanted.

• March 15, 2015 at 16:12

@block 28: what a retarded comment! Are you a trainspotter? So because it's neil Harris first game in charge at home we've all got to be there!! And if we have a life other than just millwall and we can't make the game were not welcome?! Are you 5? You just about sum up some of the w*** support we have. I guess millwall is ur life you've got millwall all in ur room wear the pyjamas get a f****** life! Maybe some of us are fed up with the f****** s*** that's been played in 2 seasons!

• March 15, 2015 at 16:35

@millwalltel: supported millwall for 45 years got 3 kids 4 grandkids so I've got a life away from millwall. So the only retarded one is you I said we don't need the moaners iam sick to death of listening to em. And seems you don't go what the f*** has it got to do with you. p****

• March 15, 2015 at 11:08

Some people moan about anything! Harris is trying to give us what we fans want, 442, pride and passion. He is left with the same team Holloway had and a team depleted of confidence, what do you expect in one week! I will be there Tuesday to give Harris and his team all my support and suggest to those moaners they do the same and see where it gets us. COYL

• March 15, 2015 at 11:38

Of course Bomber will look for the positives and there were eBay despite our strikers not putting the ball in the net. That level of performance is good enough for me, I have accepted we are getting relegated and now just want to see some spirit back in the group. On yesterday's evidence that has begun.

• March 15, 2015 at 12:14

we can take some positive from the the game the only downer was it was 2-0 like we know we need to get a new goalkeeper and we need a new striker someone like matt smith or tom pope they would be a killer in league 1 and we need a new LB and LW n RW

• March 15, 2015 at 12:17

Just watched the highlights on the Bolton U Tube channel. The two goals were poor defensively, but if you give a player like Le Fondre that kind of space then he will score. Then they showed the two that we should have put away. End of story really. Lennon says that Bolton didn't play that well, my lad who was there said it was more like we stopped them playing. Neil has got to close those gaps in defence and somehow give our strikers the confidence to put those one on ones away. A big crowd on Tuesday making a load of noise may just give the confidence they need. I know we are all bar relegated, but please go down with a fight. The Wall way.

• March 15, 2015 at 12:21

Hopefully we stay up we got 2 have faith and belief come on u lions I belief in u

• March 15, 2015 at 12:29

My cuz is on here now we fear no foe true millwall fan

• March 15, 2015 at 13:03

If you say anythink positive on this site . Some people jump on you and question are you a real supporter . They get a kick out of knocking you down. Look it's says it on the Tin . We support Millwall fc OK... It's like sitting next to a mug who jumps up shouting at a player through out the game . Questing his parents marriage . And when that player scores. He say that players world class. You know who you are. You would not get into the harf way line because your get such a slap , your own mother would not recognise you. mugs

• March 15, 2015 at 13:09

I don't accept that we are down today. It's long odds on that we will be relegated and by all past knowledge our players don't seem good enough but two wins on the bounce puts us right back in it. If we get nothing from the next two games then this time next week I will accept the inevitable. A win at home on Tuesday will give the club a massive lift and who knows what can happen once a bit of the gloom is lifted and some confidence is restored? Brentford are wobbling a little and it's a London derby, so beating Brighton gives us all the incentive we would need for Saturday. We then have a home derby v the anoraks followed by two more home games so if the hoodoo is lifted on Tuesday, who knows what we can do? A lot of wishful thinking yes, but where there is no hope there is no endeavor and this the message that Bomber needs to get through to the players. COYL