Neil Harris: Millwall will "come out fighting" against Bolton

LIONS boss Neil Harris says his side will "come out fighting" at Bolton tomorrow.

Harris stepped into hotseat at The Den following the sacking of Ian Holloway this week and his first game as interim manager is at the Macron Stadium.

Millwall are eight points adrift of Championship safety – essentially nine given their dire goal difference – heading into the final ten games of the season.

But Harris, speaking to the club's official site, says he has seen a positive reaction from his players since taking over.

"We are in a really precarious position and completely up against it at the moment, but we're going to have a right good go at this," he said.

"Sometimes when the chips are down you have to come out fighting – and we are going to do that."

He added: "The players have all been absolutely outstanding.

"It is always difficult because some players feel responsible for the manager losing his job, and some will be relieved because they think they will get an opportunity.

"I had to finish the first training session early because the tempo of it, and the way I think they wanted to impress me, was vast. I didn't want them to burn out early in the week."

16 thoughts on “Neil Harris: Millwall will "come out fighting" against Bolton

• March 13, 2015 at 14:54

Players are up for it the fans are up for it..and sir neil.is up for it..really positive vibes for a change NOLU.WDC

• March 13, 2015 at 15:05

Neil, show some intent and replace forde,the mans a liability,Abdou plays forde doesn't simple.

• March 13, 2015 at 16:33

@eddielarge: who will replace forde..Archer cant in fact he aint even allowed to sit on the bench

• March 13, 2015 at 17:26

@Jim28: abdou can replace another loanee outfield that frees up a space in goal,why not its nothing worse than Holloway tried.

• March 13, 2015 at 23:33

Our defence will be so good and our forwards striking we won't need a goalkeeper!!!!!

• March 13, 2015 at 16:03

Hopefully we can get 3 big points tomorrow. Good luck Harris & Co. N1LU... COYL...

• March 13, 2015 at 16:35

Players should be up for it and raring to go in every match, regardless who the manager is.

• March 13, 2015 at 16:41

It's nice to see some positivity on this site for a change. I'm putting money on us to stay up! Let's f****** have it. COYL!!!!!

• March 13, 2015 at 16:43

It's a shame im not going tomorrow, can imagine the performance being really good ... that said, i cant wait for the next home game! the atmosphere should be, and probably will be crazy!! Suuuuper super Neil! COYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 13, 2015 at 18:44

No more from me now I'm getting pis*** in the blue,I talk even more bo****** when I've had a few light& lagers.

• March 13, 2015 at 19:48

Words are wonderful, the players up for it, are they really? We fans are up for it. are we actually? it's nice to have a belief. But it's actions I want, not words, as actions are greater than words, I WANT A BIG IMPROVEMENT tomorrow, big ACTION FROM the player, then I might change my views on the words that are being spoken

• March 14, 2015 at 10:31

There are a couple of interesting points in Neil's comments: one about some players being relieved at Holloway going could just mean the likes of Shittu who ee already knew weren't in his plans or it might actually suggest some other player unrest which we were unaware if. And the one about ending training early is interesting too. We all know IH's attitude to training - I wonder how many times players got injured busting a gut for him in training and, rather than reign it in to save them like this, only pushed them more?

Harris is an intelligent bloke, he's got a city working background like Mark Warburton. Sometimes it doesn't just take a football person to succeed in the game but a generally sharp mind can give you the edge, I really hope it works out for him, what an amazing boost it would be for the club and fans.

• March 14, 2015 at 12:02

@mervpayne: what is Harris' city working background? I thought he played football for a living.

• March 15, 2015 at 12:32

@Pittsey: not sure if it was in his Maldon Town or Cambridge City part time days but he had a good career in the City financial sector I seem to recall. In fact I read somewhere that the full time wage we were paying him when we signed him in 1998 was less than his job salary but he wanted to play football.