Holloway "privileged" to be Millwall boss despite criticism

IAN Holloway does not feel under pressure at Millwall and insists he is "privileged" to be in charge at The Den – despite being unpopular with the club's fans.

The Lions are eight points adrift of safety at the bottom of the Championship table but Holloway says he remains in a "very fortunate" position.

Holloway was booed by supporters during Saturday's 4-1 defeat to Norwich and spent the majority of the second half seated in the home dugout.

The 51-year-old took it upon himself to stand back from the touchline because "they [the fans] would all vent their spleen on me and that wouldn't help the team".

However, Holloway is eager to carry on in the role and says Millwall have not "thrown in the towel" in their bid to beat the drop.

"My job was to try to keep us up but if we went down it was to get us back up," he said.

"I got a two-and-a-half-year contract to do that but unfortunately people's patience might run out. But I fully intend to keep doing my job, it's as simple as that.

"If I won them a game, if we scored the first goal, then it would be fantastic, but I can't remember the last time we won at The Den.

"That always causes issues. When you go 4-0 down at home, it's not good for anybody is it? So I fully understand.

"But managers don't worry – you can't. You have to do your job. My job is to pick the players up and nobody has as much enthusiasm as me.

"There are only three outcomes in my job – you either win, lose or draw. I don't see that as pressure. I'm so fortunate and lucky enough to be a manager.

"Losing a game is an occupational hazard, and then you get on with it.

"Pressure is when you've got to have cancer treatment to save your life or your kid is terminally ill. That's what pressure is. I'm very, very fortunate.

"I wake up every day feeling privledged to be in this position. Lots of people when I was a player at QPR wouldn't have dreamed that I'd end up being a manager for so long.

"At the minute our energy is on the floor and I need to pick that up."

Holloway has asked Millwall fans to keep supporting the team – but accepts they may have already turned against him.

He added: "If they've given up on me, what can I do about it?

"But Millwall are going to be fantastic [in the future] because they're a fantastic club.

"They've been here since 1885 and sometimes they have ups and downs but every one of the fans normally sticks with their team, providing they try hard.

"All I ask them to do is stick with your team. Will I be manager of this club in five minutes, two weeks or six years like Kenny Jackett was? Who knows.

"When I first came here, the chairman wanted to give me a lot longer contract and I didn't think that was fair on him.

"I said 'that's not fair on you because all sorts of things can happen' and I'm glad for him I said that now.

"He deserves a fantastic club and at the minute it's struggling and toiling.

"Everybody's going to blame someone and if that's me, I'm still privledged to be that person they're going to blame.

"I'll shoulder all of that responsibility as a man and as a manager all day long. I'm ready to go to work to pick this lot up – over and over again.

"Not one of them has chucked the towel in and that's certainly good enough for me.

"This is important to me and Saturday hurts me like you wouldn't believe. My boys kept going and kept fighting and I'm sorry if that's not good enough."

Holloway claims he had reservations about the Lions' ability to survive in the second tier before he took the job over a year ago.

He said: "If people think I'm making excuses, then I'm sorry, and if they aren't where they thought I would take them, then I'm sorry, but maybe we all aren't quite good enough.

"I came here with that in mind, thinking I'd have a chance to work hard with people who are down to earth like myself.

"I had massive concerns about what could be achieved with the players we had, the players that were signed on for this season and the budget.

"But Millwall is much more important than me. The owner they've got is absolutely magnificent and he deserves better than what we've got at the moment."

123 thoughts on “Holloway "privileged" to be Millwall boss despite criticism

• March 9, 2015 at 13:48

Are we privelaged to have in charge still after this dismal run of games?????

• March 9, 2015 at 17:03

@paulsanders22: @paulsanders22:
      So he doesn't feel any pressure and he cant remember the last time we won at home........The f****** Chuckle brothers would do a better job than this p**** !!!!

• March 9, 2015 at 18:16

@east stand boy:

We are proud of you Millwall ... Holloway ain't proud ...let's sack him.. He ain't got the honor to resign

• March 9, 2015 at 18:20

Our supporters are the loyalist in the land ... Holloway ain't got the pride or the honor to resign .. Do the board not listen to the fans

• March 9, 2015 at 18:21

Our supporters are the best in the land ... Holloway ain't got the pride or the honor to resign .. Do the board not listen to the fans

• March 9, 2015 at 18:26

Our supporters are the best in the land ... Holloway ain't got the pride or the honor to resign .. Do theynot listen to the fans sack him now

• March 9, 2015 at 13:49

This must be a wind-up.
    LISTEN YOU FOOL,WE DO NOT WANT YOU AS MANAGER.
    The thought of you still being here next season is too much to bare.
    MILLWALL SUPPORTERS DESERVE MUCH BETTER THAN YOU.
    You have no dignity by not resigning a while back.

• March 9, 2015 at 13:53

Are you serious to make such a long winded comment you've said when it's my team and my players well that's where we are and 5 home wins out of 29 says it all
    Even the tv pundits try not to smile while trying to make sense of you still being here
    Just in case your in doubt we don't want you and take most of the over aged over weight players with you
    If we all done our jobs like you we would all be sacked which is exactly what should happen to you

• March 9, 2015 at 13:56

Does anyone else think that the second half of the article reads like a resignation letter? The man is such a enigma I can't make him out. Sounds like an important meeting is in the pipeline.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:04

@Canterbury pilgrim: Yeah reading that last bit again it does sound like that, perhaps this is the letter he will hand in to Berlyson after the match on Saturday???

• March 9, 2015 at 14:06

I WOULD BE PRIVILEGED TO GET PAID BIG MONEY TO f*** THINGS UP AND KNOW I CAN STILL HOLD OUT FOR BIG PAYOFF. I CAN'T POST NO MORE IM BEGINNING TO SOUND LIKE OLLIE REPEATING MYSELF AND DOING f*** ALL ABOUT IT. PLEASE JUST GOOOO t*****

• March 9, 2015 at 14:08

He has us over a barrel and he knows it.He isn't doing his job, he hides in the dugout looking scared and clueless.If he can't handle the pressure from fans because we are loosing all the time he should go.The players see there leader hiding in the dugout,a beaten man.What type of leadership is that? He said on Saturday that the game was lost at 2-0, now that tells me that he had chucked in the towel.He won't walk because he won't get any dough.he is a p*** taker holding on for a big pay off.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:11

@paulsanders22: I hope you are right mate but i think he will wait to be sacked.If he resigns he won't get a pay off,he's mugging us off.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:12

JUST GO!!!! you've had longer than any other manager would have had in any other club. it's not good enough, if you had any respect for our chairman like you keep harping on about then do the right thing and leave. coz you clearly don't give a f*** about us otherwise you would of gone just after christmas!

• March 9, 2015 at 14:13

do you know what, when you go 4 nil down at home , it isn't very good - thanks Ian, and also there are only 3 results : win lose or draw, erm, interesting! - cant remember last home win , we all can - Just need to score first, we did at Rotherham

Now he is slagging the players off again - he's unloaded most of them , got his own lot in and now slagging them off - but how can that be Ian ? you went 8 unbeaten at the end of last year and were absolutely wonderful with the same players in terms of coaching and motivation, JB told us that on Saturday - you were the best manager available - Oh no, hang on, it's the budget - we only lost 7 million last year , not enough for him

the players have not thrown in the towel though, just that the energy levels are on the floor and they are not good enough and he needs another 7 million to spend

we don't want apologies, just someone who knows how to set up a team and play to players' strengths

why wait till we lose to Bolton to act ???

• March 9, 2015 at 14:17

Wanted manager for Millwall Football Club, must be a comedian,have plenty of b*******,no idea how to inspire men to do well ,alienate supporters,destroy the club, if you have these attributes please apply to Andy Ambler as we need to improve on our existing Manager

• March 9, 2015 at 14:18

Confirmed, the lunatics have taken over the asylum. That's me off, I can't stand the humiliation, and being patronised by an idiot, who is here for the money, and nothing else. See you all as soon as the nutter has gone, this season or next. Have a good one!!!

• March 9, 2015 at 14:25

@beedoscores: Know exactly how you feel.I am getting a letter typed I am sending to the Club - with my SEASON TICKET - as I have no use for it any more.
      It is a matter of principle now and fed up with the Fool taking the money and p**s.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:24

that dont look good manager in the back of dugout kit man on the front of bench .
    maybe he is picking the team ! .

• March 9, 2015 at 14:26

No s*** Sherlock.
    The comments after games are getting as predictable as the results.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:33

F.U.C.k SAKE he's off on gob shiteing rant again, has he no class about him?, everyone what's him out but that poxy board stick by him,I said earlier I'm not going, now I say to all boycott the next two home games then watch jb come back to see why we hate the mug.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:02

@foxy: NOW,NOW FOXY, HE'S MADE YOU ANGRY AGAIN,LOL!MISSED YOU AND JIM1222 AT THE BLUE.A.:NEVER MIND,WE ARE STILL MILLWALL.GOT OUR BRENTFORD TICKETS,SO HAPPY! SORRY I MISSED YOU AT THE B.ANCHOR 'CASTLE - BOB',CATCH YOU NEXT MATCH.NO ONE LIKES US,WE DONT CARE.STORMIN' NORMAN.PS.SUE'S MESSAGE TO OLLIE IS; 'YOU DONE THE TALK,NOW DO THE WALK'

• March 9, 2015 at 14:39

My job was to try to keep us up but if we went down it was to get us back up!!! That was last seasons brief u silly useless c@nt it's time u went! U dont have the boards backing anymore sounds like there stuck wiv u i f****** guarantee if u offered ur resignation they would accept! MUG

• March 9, 2015 at 14:40

His job is results based, yet the results have been absolutely shocking.

So how does he still have a job?

• March 9, 2015 at 14:50

What a clown same crap week in week out. Sick to death off being mugged over by this ego money grabbing theif who is killing milllwall. Life long millwall fan and season ticket holder. I am boycotting the next home game this is something I never thought I would do, but while he is in charge there is no other option he is not the club we are. I can't believe millwall supporters are still backing this idiot.

• March 9, 2015 at 14:51

We are currently a total joke. He should have gone weeks ago, but OK the Chairman and the board have given him a chance - but its now long over-due, he must go, and go now! Holloway has left his mark on the club - in 130 years of history, a run of 11 consecutive home matches without a win is a new club record! With a 16% win-ratio Holloway's record is terrible. it is too late for this season but he should go now as loads of fans wont be renewing season tickets with him in charge. the club must act - Brentford away is Millwall's 'unofficial going down party' lets make some noise! one NEW song I'd like to hear at Brentford is; "WE WANT YOU'RE MANAGER!"

• March 9, 2015 at 15:02

I copy the comment I posted on a previous report, after reading the above I think it proves this manager is well and truly deluded and deluding us all.

"It's worth reading the report on the match in today's Mirror. Under the heading "Holloway Vow To Stop At Den" It confirms what most supporters on here think that IH has lost his marbles.
    "He (Holloway") quit Crystal Palace last season because he could not hack the pressure of the premier league. And his rambling, self- deluded 23-minute post-match press conferences suggested he is once again a manager teetering on the brink. He walked into the press room and asked: "Do you want to boo me too".
    "Self-deluded" is the right description and he is trying to delude us all with his waffle. What an embarrassment he is to the club, what will it take to get him out?"

• March 9, 2015 at 15:21

@Peckhamlad: Yeah but don't forget 'he got two teams into the Premiership'. Useless mug, every time I log on I'm hoping to see the news that he's resigned and all I see is more deluded ramblings. Depressing.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:16

Why are any of you trying to make sense of this mans comments, The man is an utter C***.and by dissecting his comments you are making him feel he still has a place at this club.
    We should start a 'JUST GO' campaign.every time he says something just post 'JUST GO'.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:19

Usual non match day PR drivel followed up by a pathetic match day performance.

This lot led by this man (who seems to be in need of some kind of help) are going down without a fight, that in all our books must be the one thing we don't forgive.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:22

Unbeileivable we are a shambles trotter feeney and wilkinson must be laughing their heads off.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:23

How about this for a potential future team:
    Archer
    Cummings
    Goodman
    Nelson
    LB - No idea at all
    Williams
    Powell
    Paris
    Fred
    Pavey
    Obrien

• March 9, 2015 at 16:10

@wolla5: dislikers feel free to give your potential team for the future

• March 9, 2015 at 17:21

@wolla5: We need a bit of steel in Midfield someone who can tackle and let the forward remember the tackle and I don't mean the couch potato Bailey.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:04

@wolla5:

I was just thinking about that we had a manager in KJ who didn't give youth a chance I'm pretty resigned to us going down but I'll still be at every home game. If there is a positive from this debacle of a season (and let's face it we have been hanging on for the last few years)

Ollie and the backroom team have produced some fantastic youngsters who will be great in years to come Fred, Powell, O'Brien, Sid and the French lad who is currently injured plays just like fabbrini

With Mills driving the recruitment we will be a force in league 1.

And I'm ready for the dislikes but I can see Ollie still being manager

• March 9, 2015 at 15:35

Archer is here on loan and NOT even being used. Will be glad to see the back if us and actually get some game time somewhere else.
    I have had enough of this fool's delusions. I used to really enjoy looking on NAD, but it's just too depressing at thr moment. The only reason I look every day now, is too see if Coco has gone. I'm fooling myself. Until he is gone, I can't look anymore and I won't be spending any money to put in his pocket. Take care brother's.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:35

I think that the author of this article is now trying to wind us up, as he tries to do many a time.
    If I was on a guaranteed 15 grand a week, I too would be privileged.
    I started watching our beloved club back in the days of 3rd Division South and it would seem that in 2 years I will have turned full circle and be back to where I started in 1957 (if Albert Steptoe stays!).

• March 9, 2015 at 15:36

Jeez this man is a pillock. A self deluded, incompetent, contemptible pillock.
    Is his health the only remaining hope of salvation?

• March 9, 2015 at 15:36

I have had enough of this fool's delusions. I used to really enjoy looking on NAD, but it's just too depressing at thr moment. The only reason I look every day now, is too see if Coco has gone. I'm fooling myself. Until he is gone, I can't look anymore and I won't be spending any money to put in his pocket, so no more ST for me. Take care brother's.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:40

I'm not a fan of yours Ian but you've shown some humility here.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:19

@Sidcup_Lad: It's about the only tract he's got left - the sympathy vote! Personally, I have none for this vain, egotistical, charlatan after what he has done and, unbeleivably, continues to do to my club. Mr Holloway, you've abused the privelege of managing our team.

• March 9, 2015 at 15:43

Words are very cheap unfortunately your not Mr Holloway its obvious to everyone its about money no matter how you dress it up , I have a new slogan for you

WERE STRONGER TOGETHER AS LONG AS I CAN NICK A FEW QUID MORE JUST BEFORE I GO

• March 9, 2015 at 16:00

If you think you're unpopular with the fans now, wait until the Trainspotter's beat us at the Den next month! Even Lomas managed to beat that lot and if you think the dugout will save you from the abuse you'll get then, trust me it won't.
    Also stop mentioning KJ's name in your interviews. Just because he recommended you, that doesn't mean we respect you or you somehow understand what 'wall is all about. (Buying a flat cap also doesn't make you one of us!)
    The only thing you care about is the sound of your own voice. f*** me, I never heard somebody talk so much b*****, literally all of the time.

• March 9, 2015 at 16:04

Ollie, you might be privileged about being Millwall manager but in all fairness this club just is not for you (and most of the fans are against you).
    We need a manager with more firepower and will know what to do with the players he has available.
    We need a striker who can score not a 30+ year old cart horse who has gone past their prime point in their career.
    We need our young guns to play next season. The likes of Fred, Powell, Nelson, Goodman, Siafa and King/Gerrar.
    We want to see our own flesh and blood - someone who has come up through our youth ranks and has had experience. Like O'Brien, Marquis. We need and want to see these players playing next season and hopefully under a new manager

• March 9, 2015 at 16:11

He should have been sacked before the Rotherham game.It just shows how little JB knows about football in this country.

• March 9, 2015 at 16:20

yes this is the key thing neither JB nor AA have the slightest clue about football so how can they put in charge of hiring a manager - AA needs to go - why is he here??

• March 9, 2015 at 16:23

ian, I don't want to slate you I really don't but you do make it hard as you often contradict yourself. I also accept that the club's problems go deeper than what can be turnaround in a season. I have been hired in a number of trouble shooting roles in my work and know from experience that things often get worse before they get better. True fixes generally take 2-3 years. I believe the club / chairman has seen this and know that the fix needs to be long term, hence his commitment to you. I can accept relegation as to be honest the clubs poor decisions over the last few years have lead to this, too many players out of contract at the same time, poor player purchases, unproven manager hired from Scottish division, not replacing a proven goal scorer, poor management of some youth players. Last years staying up was great but was really a false dawn. So while the fan in me is completely fed up with seeing my beloved team get hammered every week and I want to shout my frustration at you, I still want to believe you are the right man that will turn around the club. So from now I don't want to hear pointless stories from you and some of the players, all I want to know is what at the club is changing under your leadership, I.e what have you done to the youth structure from top to bottom, what changes have you made to the training and fitness regimes of our players, what coaching style have you employed for the reserves and below, why did you sign Archer on loan? etc etc. What was done wrong with Marquis who seems to have found his confidence. I.e what are the things happening that we cannot see but you are implementing. Also a big big question is why do you chop and change the team so much, when injuries occur I understand but you change regardless and to extremes, I.e one week in the starting team next week not in the squad. What is the reason since we are not Chelsea who have the luxury of a squad of internationals. Please let's report this stuff rather than the pointless ramble, I can then decide to back you or not.
    I hope we stay up but I hope much more that as you believe you are the right man to rebuild the club. We should not forget that Ferguson was a whisker away from the sack but then went on to produce United's golden generation.

• March 9, 2015 at 16:39

@Singapore Lion:

you are way too fair to him - I like to think I am objective , but this is too bad for words now - try to imagine a situation where this wont happen again under Holloway - if he stays and we get a good start next year , which is unlikely , how long before it descend into this shambles - I do not see how he can motivate any of these players any more - in effect to keep him , you are saying he needs a total new squad next year - how can any sane person trust him with another budget - this is taking on a surreal perspective now - there is no rationality left in this

• March 9, 2015 at 16:28

Surely he's drugged up coming out with something like no sane person would say that.I should think he will be sectioned soon.

• March 9, 2015 at 16:35

You're in a dream world.So you think he,s another Ferguson do you? If I was you I would give Maudsley a visit.@baz2262:

• March 9, 2015 at 16:42

Interesting statement that ''lots of people at QPR would never have dreamed that you would have been a manager for so long''..............................................

nor would we either

• March 9, 2015 at 17:09

f*** off Holloway, enough said!

• March 9, 2015 at 17:11

You just have to laugh at his drivel.
    "Losing a game is an occupational hazard, and then you get on with it",
    But you see, it ain't just losing a game is it?
    It seems his entire Millwall career is about losing game after game.

All this press nonsense he keeps releasing, really is about desperation on his part.
    It's gone beyond doing the right thing for Millwall, it's all about doing the right
    thing for his wallet. What a despicable cowardly little toad.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:13

Please god losing against the spotters when we do will be the straw that breaks JB's back.

If we lose that game bring such a massively one sided derby in our favour then JB surely has to give you your p45!

• March 9, 2015 at 17:26

Intends to keep on doing his job, it's as simple as that - what planet are you on mate - it certainly isn't this one that's for sure, how obstinate and pig headed are you, what you are saying is that 10000 millwall fans are wrong are your not, give us a break

There we go again referring back to my old playing and managers days, you sound like Uncle Albert - "during the war, I was bombed by fifty torpedoes, whilst sorting out the boiler" Ollie if you had as much talk in you as you do the press, perhaps we might have a few extra points on the board.

Good job you are not on performance related pay isn't it !

Please for our sakes just resign, you can't be short of dosh, and give a young and upcoming manager an opportunity to show what he can do, because in 15 months you have made us worse and undone all the good work Jackett did.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:29

I'd like to hear an off the record account of things from Nigel Gibbs perspective, could he do a job? assistant taking over.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:32

Of course he feels privileged, any one would on his wages for giving us s**t.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:40

If he is going to drag us down with him, I just wish he`d do it without the inane sound bites.

• March 9, 2015 at 17:51

He ain't walking he wants to be sacked to get his £.
    There is no way of him turning this around , he's hated by the fans . If he kept us up now which isn't going to happen I still want him gone .

• March 9, 2015 at 17:54

Somebody get this money grabbing vampire out of our club.It is as if he is trying to goad the fans with his endless b*******.I have accepted we are down but we can't let this situation drag on into pre season,something terrible could happen.

• March 9, 2015 at 18:01

The truest word he spoke was about him doubting us staying up, bad investments for the last 5 years have crippled us. I'm not even going to talk about IH staying or going instead I believe for our long term survival we need to get rid of Ambler, he has his eyes on a role with the Football Association and I believe that this has made him a lacky to their agenda. He has no love for us and this will be proved in the years down the line, when he'll be part of some witch hunt when we have a small bit of trouble in or around the ground.
    Perhaps with a more astute man in charge daily we could push on, and that person has to explain to JB that despite putting £40 million in he either needs to stump up a whole lot more or sell up to another interested buyer, one that will see that you need to secure the future of this club as it stands by pushing for the prem, as what is true in business is that if your not pushing forward your going to go back backwards as your competitors overtake you (Brentford, Bournemouth and even Rotherham ffs)

• March 9, 2015 at 18:17

@nocalves: this is a wrlcome post from all the crap fans keep whacking on here.
      well thought out .i read a article in the local press last week all about ambler.it looks like this fool is staying.the reason for the piece was cos of the hiring of the brentford bloke who looks to be taking over recruitment.(lets face it AA is cack at it).

• March 9, 2015 at 18:43

This is where it dont pay to have so many loaners. We get relegated, they walk away. Play the kids and anyone whose left that still wants to be a championship player next year. Play those that have something to lose..And play 4-4-2 - cos everyone of our lads has been brought up on it. Back to basics please - at least give the players a chance to win.

• March 9, 2015 at 18:44

• March 9, 2015 at 18:45

We have to win at Bolton ... Rotherham was awful humiliating .. Losing at Bolton ... No way .. Can't comprehend it..

• March 9, 2015 at 18:46

• March 9, 2015 at 18:47

• March 9, 2015 at 19:03

The only way he will go is if the stadium is empty. Its your choice and if you choose to keep going then he will keep his job. If nobody turns up then the board would have to act. There was a segment on talkSPORT tonight talking the p.iss out of IH. The whole nation is laughing at us. What do yo do.

• March 9, 2015 at 19:22

IMO Regardless of the deservedly negative opinions relating to IH, it is also time the players took a long hard look at themselves as they were shockingly bad on Saturday and the first three goals were 100% the result of unforced player errors!

1st Goal - Footage doesn't show it but we gave the ball away in the middle of the park due to miscommunication between Hoiveld & Nelson so instead of clearing the ball into the stands the ball was given back to Norwich on the half way line consequently inviting the attack. And expect better from an experienced pro like Bailey, who could of and should of smothered the attack by taking their attacker down, total lack of effort and professionalism on his part...

2nd Goal - Has to be the most irresponsible and pointless challenge I have seen in a long time. Forde made a good save ( only good thing he done all game), ball was travelling safely away from goal and somehow Dunne thought it was necessary to practice an MMA take down on Jerome. Unforgivable and was practically suicide. Sunday league stuff not good enough..

3rd Goal - Our midfielders decide to try to play tip tap passing on the edge of our penalty area and when they failed miserably they stand around looking at each other in vacant confusion.. Very poor and could have been avoided with a basic clearance...

4th Goal - I like Sid so gonna be fair as he is learning but he should have done better to block Jeromes cross...

At least three of the goals we conceded were due to single player areas and that should be recognised. These lads get paid big bucks and are getting very simple easily avoidable things wrong...
    Forde = not good enough for majority of the season
    Dunne = despite experience continual liability and seems incapable of learning
    Williams = plays within himself and is unwilling or too scared to gamble! has the potential to be better
    woodford = goes missing seems uninterested 90% of the time! shouldn't play

In general we are toothless and the team play with fear. If we don't take attacking risks then we will rarely score. The players need to step up and shown some heart, belief and bravery if you ask me....

On a plus I thought , GTF/Gregory&O'Brien were lively and given time could be positive outlets?!

• March 9, 2015 at 19:27

On a different note my thoughts go out to the Watford supporter who was attacked at the wolves game at the weekend lets hope he pulls through .

• March 9, 2015 at 19:38

@mfc2u: Fair play I don't know what happened but when a gang attacks a bloke on his own just goes to show what a bunch of w.ankers they are. I wonder if they would be brave enough to have a go when the numbers are equal. I think not.

• March 10, 2015 at 00:14

Thanks your right its easy to be brave in a mob im not to sure about the details but I hear he is still critical I saw lots of good and decent comments on the Wolves forum @LETEMCOME:

• March 9, 2015 at 20:57

@mfc2u: Great shout 2U. I know some people took exception to one of my comments that I made last week that was bang out of order about IH and rightly so BUT as it was pointed out to me by another member it's just a game of football and health/death even should not be trivialised.

Incidents like this are terrible and my thoughts also go out to the fan and his loved ones. I know sometimes our clubs reputation proceeds us and at times we do/have had our own incidents BUT I have always thought we have some sort of code (Queensbury type rules in effect). I don't know tbh but a mob putting one blokes life at risk is wrong.

• March 10, 2015 at 00:08

Thanks its terrible to think someone goes to watch their team and doesn't make it home like you say it just a match after all @JonnyBanks:

• March 9, 2015 at 20:25

My take on the present situation. The beer tastes the same, the pies taste the same, Millwall have always been s***, i aint boycotting f*** all !!!

• March 9, 2015 at 20:53

except we haven't been this s*** - club record 11 home games without a win - only been going .130 years

• March 9, 2015 at 20:56

Have booked a ticket to oz let me know when the clown leaves the dugout to go home and stay there or maybe 2 men with white Coates might take him to the nut house and put him in a straight jacket Mickie w

• March 10, 2015 at 00:13

@mickie w:

Being in Oz don't help. The pain is the same just in a different time zone. What has he done to our Millwall? Please, somebody make it stop!!

• March 9, 2015 at 20:57

Hope you find a brown envelope on your desk in the morning, with your P45, brown is the righr colour for all the bull that keeps coming out your mouth, now p### off and give us OUR MILLWALL BACK

• March 9, 2015 at 21:26

Ok so here's my personal opinion. The guy continuously contradicts himself, does he intend to? Well nobody will ever know, but the squad we currently have on show are not good enough to sustain any decent run of form. A lot of Millwall fans shout for 4-4-2, thinking that this will save us, but where are we going to score and stop goals going in even with a change of formation. You don't play 4-4-2 when defending corners, do you? We lack players with any expertise in their own respective positions e.g. Dunne CB, a Williams CDM, Abdou RB etc. When Bailey returned against Norwich we looked a much better side with him in it, why... Because he knows his role within the team and is playing in his rightful position. Unfortunately for us we have no strength in depth so will rely on others to fill unfamiliar roles.

So, yes you are privileged to be managing this great club, where we don't normally accept what we are seeing but I for one understand that we can't keep calling for a manager like McDermott, that will only work with what he has got in front of him, just to stave off the obvious problems each year.

It may not seem like it, but this could be healthy for the long term future of the whole setup of the club, not just the short term 1st team issues.

Thoughts??

• March 9, 2015 at 21:51

@tsib24: I agree about the contradictions, telling the papers he didn't Robbo then telling Robbo that he might still have a chance, telling us Shittu epitomized Millwall then dropping him (which was the right choice BTW), telling us that they wouldn't play 352 then playing again and again, these are just a few examples. I thought it was just the media and journalists reeling out his sound bites but never remember KJ contradicting himself like this.

As for new managers, McDermott doesn't sound bad, I do also like Darren Ferguson. He had signed some good players over the years, such as George Boyd, Craig Mackail Smith, Dwight Gayle, Aaron McLean, etc...he knows how to spot a player at this level and might work well with the new head of recruitment.

• March 9, 2015 at 22:07

@glyngo: Just struck me reading your post, we have just signed that ex brentford ceo, and brentford are sacking their manager end of season, coincidence?

• March 10, 2015 at 08:29

@rowanonthewing7: Yeah it occurred to me as well, I wonder of they worked together at Brentford? I think its wishful thinking to believe Warburton would come to us in League 1 to be honest, I suspect he will have more lucrative offers on the table. IF he was to come in, that would be a fantastic result, but too good to be true,

• March 9, 2015 at 22:35

@tsib24: personally I pray we get McDermott as manager, Gibbs is his second in charge anyway so there wouldn't be much need for change up on assistant but McDermott is more like Jackett a tactician who understands the game and can spot a player (given he is currently now chief scout as Arsenal speaks of his ability).

Given our current depressing plight I decided to give Michael Calvin's excellent book 'Family' another read, love it! But what comes out of it is just how fantastic KJ was, his knowledge of the game and his tough no-nonsense approach to players. We need another person like that not someone who is more well-known for spouting hot air and empty fantasy promises. Get us a Head Coach worthy to stabilise our club, build on it and untie us all once more.

• March 10, 2015 at 08:31

@Bexley_Lion: Read 'Nowhere men' by Calvin next, that is a fascinating insight into football scouting.

• March 9, 2015 at 21:42

I'm sorry but a managers job is stressful, you can't compare it to illness but it can be destructive and he doesn't need to hide the fact. In many ways I feel sorry for him because I know he is trying everything he thinks he can to turn it round. This group of players is good enough to stay up though even if they have not lived up to their promise, and some of the players he stood by were just not good enough. His insistence on playing Shittu/Dunne even when the team had played well without them (See Charlton game) is part of his problem. He sided with the wrong players when he should have worked on players like Robbo/Nelson/Webster/Beevers/Goodman by turning them into better players and letting the others go.

• March 9, 2015 at 22:31

@glyngo:

yes Glyngo, some (many ) bad decisions - shittu and dunne are not championship players that is clear to anyone who knows about football nor is abdou but he reverted to him because he couldn't get the midfield to play together in any coherent way - he dropped abdou knowing this and also dropped dunne for Edwards but he didn't do anything to replace them until it was too late - time after time missed opportunities and panic decisions - no long term strategy - chaos which was bound to end (we hope) horribly

• March 9, 2015 at 21:57

I can't believe I ever stuck up for you holloway. Ur just not cutting it and your interviews are so nauseating. I don't know why your banging on abaut cancer when your the only cancer at this club. We are now down there is no way back Rotherham was your make or break moment and you failed your now working on borrowed time. Now shut up play the youth and if you must stay say to Fred/nelson/Powell/o brien /goodman/ your all my starting 11 next year.

• March 9, 2015 at 22:01

@spartacus: If we are going down woukd it not make sense to get the young kids in now to blood them rather than doing it in pre season that is not league football?

• March 9, 2015 at 22:31

We have to be careful about throwing too many kids in at once, we made the same mistake with the FA Youth Cup winning team back in 79. We need a blend of youth and lower lge experience if we go down. I'd go for our old keeper Sam Walker at Colchester, get Amoo back down here from Carlisle (looked very pacey and tricky at weekend) and maybe a big goalscoring lump like Barry Corr from Southend.

• March 9, 2015 at 22:44

The Championship has outgrown us i'm afraid.
    We just can't cut it with the rest of the clubs in this league.

The last couple of season we've relied on three or four poor teams being below us. Now we are one of those teams keeping the likes of Fulman, Leeds etc up.

I think problems run deeper than poor players and manager. Something is rotten at the core of Millwall. Maybe they should worry more about football results than the land around the Den. The powers that be can't run Millwall let alone a million pound re-development.

Running a business is hard but Millwall seem to make running a football club near impossible.
    We support Millwall as it's in our bood but does it always have to be so painful.

But hey we should be used to it now.

• March 9, 2015 at 23:01

Leave now Holloway before it gets indecent. You're taking the p*** now and you'll get found out sooner or later. Some prides don't like their tails being pulled.

• March 9, 2015 at 23:08

Bolton have to play midweek and are smashed by injuries at the moment - if we cant go there and be in the game and win, it will show how low we have dropped - not that it matters anyway

• March 9, 2015 at 23:37

@timchimes: ...so 'Millwall at home' is the perfect fixture for them! Hate typing that, but it's true, currently we're the team that everyone wants to play.

• March 9, 2015 at 23:47

I think the best tactic for Bolton away is a kit change. Get one made out of the same stuff as that silly white/gold / blue/black dress. Hopefully, half the Bolton team will see us in blue, the other half will think it's white like them and by the time they've sussed what's going on we've nicked a winner.

• March 10, 2015 at 02:57

I think we have a stand off between JB and IH.
    I think JB want's to sack IH but cannot afford the pay off of his contract.So JB is saying he wants to keep IH so as he cannot be accused of pressuring IH to leave if it came to a court case,so hoping the pressure from the fan's will make IH walk away without a pay off.
    IH is saying what a great club we are and he want's to lead us out of the wilderness he has taken us into even though the fan's want him out,so saying to any future court case i did not want to go,so give me my money.
    So please JB and IH come to an agreement so as MFC can get on and try and get out of the mire we are in.

• March 10, 2015 at 03:08

Looking at the picture that is at the beginning of this post,how can a man who hide's from everyone really be expected to lead a football team,so come IH admit you cannot go any further with MFC and resign and save everyone including yourself a lot more grief.
    PLEASE JUST WALK AWAY

• March 10, 2015 at 07:40

You all just wasting your time Ollie will not walk away and having JB backing,ollie is here for a while longer.So lets all settle down and see what his plans are for league 1.

• March 10, 2015 at 07:55

@colin66: totally agree. Pointless to sack him now. Lets see what happens in the first couple of months of div 1. If there is no marked improvement-get rid. I would imagine it would cost us an arm and a leg to cancel his contract. Div 1 has been looming for the last three years and while his input has been questiobable, I dont think its any worse than lomarse and jackets last 2 years.

• March 10, 2015 at 09:15

@wallchef @wallchef: KJ had his detractors towards the end, the "I hate west ham more than you brigade" drove lomas out, the chairman tried doing he's best by bringing in Hollaway, now there fantasising about warburton and McDermott, all got to be paid for on 10k gate money ! Suppose that's the modern day deluded football fan for you. Still it's Cheltenham this week, f*** the football !

• March 12, 2015 at 14:16

Just fu** off u carrot we wil do better wivout u NOLU WDC