Holloway determined to prove he's the right man for Millwall

IAN Holloway is determined to prove that he is "the right man for Millwall" – and has vowed to continue in his job regardless of the criticism directed his way.

Holloway, who this week received the public backing of chairman John Berylson, has stressed that he will not be walking away from The Den.

The Lions are 23rd in the Championship table and six points off safety with 11 games to go.

But they clawed their way back from a worse position 12 months ago and Holloway says a unified atmosphere at the club can help him to repeat the feat.

And if Millwall are relegated, Holloway wants to lead a rebuild in League One.

He told Lions Player: "I'm the man for Millwall, with my knowledge, experience, what I want to do and how difficult the circumstances will be.

"I believe I'm the right man for that and if the fans don't, I'm sorry I don't agree with you. I agree with how you're feeling at the minute and I'm feeling it twice as bad.

"You can shout and bawl but I'm strong enough to take that and prove long-term that I will be a good addition to this club.

"I'm glad my chairman and board of directors feel that.

"I've had a meeting with my staff and players to tell them that and hopefully that will clarify the situation.

"We need to give our players in this tough situation the chance to not look over their shoulders and go out there and express themselves.

"They need to feel cared for and wanted by the supporters. If we get that right, The Den is a very tough place to come for any opponent.

"If we're stronger together, I believe we can show everybody what we're all about just like we did at the end of last year.

"If that doesn't happen, my job is to make us stronger in the future so that we can come back and fare better in a division that is getting tougher and tougher.

"In my interview with the chairman, this is what we spoke about because he believed that I'm the right one. He still believes I am and I'm fully committed no matter what.

"It's very difficult when things are pointed and allegations are being thrown around about your capability as a manager, but if it isn't working then now's the time to stick together.

"Long term, I want to be popular at Millwall one day – I don't care when that day is but hopefully I can turn this around.

"I need to step to the plate, take responsibility and I'm prepared to do it.

"If that's not good enough or if people think I'm making excuses, then I'm sorry but I'm going to try my best to get the fans a team they can be proud of."

90 thoughts on “Holloway determined to prove he's the right man for Millwall

• March 6, 2015 at 13:18

Oh well.

• March 6, 2015 at 22:39

@LETEMCOME: talk is cheap you're had long enough to get it right

• March 6, 2015 at 13:23

Ian, please do us all a favour and either start delivering on all this rhetorical nonsense or admit you're not up to it and step aside for the next bloke to have a cracking at sorting out our beloved club. But whatever you do, please stop with the empty, pointless and, to be honest, bloody annoying speeches.

• March 6, 2015 at 13:24

Cracking? Stupid phone!

• March 6, 2015 at 13:28

I am with you on these pointless press releases but we are stuck with him so is it now the time to get behind him and the team. We have 12 games to save this season. Weather we do or dont stay up nothing is going to change untill the summer.

Get behind the team COYL.

• March 6, 2015 at 14:03

@millwallmax: I'll always get behind the team, no matter how bad they are. But I'm no longer willing to pretend I support Holloway. He's a walking disaster and taking our club with him. Unless we let Berylson and the board know how we feel, they'll continue to treat us like mindless morons, who are willing to turn up to throw our good money after bad.

• March 6, 2015 at 14:49

Looks very much like he will be staying whether the fans want him or not.

We still have a slim chance of staying up so may as well back the team and hope for another great escape.

Moaning and slagging off at the slightest mistake will only serve to be self defeating and kill off any confidence the players still have.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.