Millwall youngster gunning for promotion with Wycombe

© David Cornwell
© David Cornwell

FRED Onyedinma wants to win promotion with Wycombe – and then "prove himself" at Millwall when he comes back to The Den in the summer.

Onyedinma, who is on loan at Adams Park until the end of the season, is scoring the goals that are fuelling the Chairboys' title challenge in League Two.

His performances for Gareth Ainsworth's side have received glowing reviews and Lions fans are already excited about the 18-year-old's return to SE16.

First, though, Onyedinma wants to get a promotion under his belt.

"I've been thinking about that a lot," he told the Southwark News. "It's a really exciting time for the club.

"This is my first season playing competitively week in, week out and I'm in a team that's pushing for promotion.

"This is something that I've only ever watched on TV before so to be part of it is a really good feeling.

"Even though I'm on loan, it feels like I'm part of the team so I want the best for Wycombe and for them to get promoted."

When Onyedinma does rejoin the Lions' ranks, he is determined to establish himself as a first-team regular.

"I'll come back to Millwall stronger for next season," he added. "I'll be a better player and more determined because I've experienced senior football now.

"Whether the club is in the Championship or League One, it will be a different league for me and another challenge.

"I'm looking forward to coming back in the summer and working with Ian Holloway to keep improving, because I'm still young and need to develop.

"A young player has potential but there comes a time when you need to fulfil that potential. I want to prove myself at Millwall."

Onyedinma has scored match-winning goals for Wycombe but a first-class attitude is his best attribute, according to Ainsworth.

"A lot of young players think they've made it before they have," said Ainsworth.

"Fred is one of the most humble guys you could meet and knows that he has to work hard for his career."

63 thoughts on “Millwall youngster gunning for promotion with Wycombe

• March 5, 2015 at 09:16

My question is well he wasn't too come back? I think there will be quite a few clubs sniffing round him! I'd be does go I wouldn't blame him tbh kids a great talent and doesn't need to be surrounded by all the negativity here.

• March 6, 2015 at 10:51

Fred scoring loads of goals marquis scoring loads of goals that's very worrying Millwall struggle to find the net every week .We are a very weak side fab brining only looks good as he's playing in a crap team give youth a chance it's the only way forward

• March 5, 2015 at 09:16

your best where you are at the moment Fred away from this shower of sh1t cant wait to see you next season,hope you dont get poached mate

• March 5, 2015 at 09:26

@DELBOY64: Hope he comes back, we will need him for next year! Looks like IH will still be here next year so let's hope he can turn it around

• March 5, 2015 at 09:40

Don't Slate me if I'm wrong or if you don't agree but In Scotland I believe they have to have 3 under 21's in there match day squad SHOULD we have this policy were the manager has to pick 3 under 21's. We do have youngsters but no places for them

• March 5, 2015 at 10:54

@Bush: I wouldn't mind that policy. We actually have youngsters who are better than some of the senior players keeping them out.

• March 5, 2015 at 11:21

@MFC Lion:
        Correct mate, at the end of the day we are still relying on other clubs to make our future players better.
        Losing for shittu or fuller is not a learning curve they both been and done that played at the highest levels not to say they don't care and they don't play to lose but we need policys and rules to benefit from every game, losing to Boro
        3 nil could have been well Powell had a stinker but his learning, next weeks team talk is done his plays a blinder if not we put a arm round him. Not alan dunne was s*** again, or Gregory not looking shape ..

• March 5, 2015 at 10:08

He will be sold to a lower premiership club in the summer for under £150K

• March 5, 2015 at 10:35

Looking at some of his finishing, he could be wasted on the wing. 20 goals a season?

• March 5, 2015 at 10:57

@lion.ie: wouldnt be the first winger to be converted to a striker plus the bonus of not needing to go and buy one. Not that we would go and buy a striker!

• March 5, 2015 at 10:58

Personally, I hope Wycombe don't go up as they're one of our many bogey teams.

• March 5, 2015 at 11:01

Why do players do well before they join Millwall and when they leave but not while they are here Grabban just one of many as example something is not right ? What is it

• March 5, 2015 at 11:07

This is only my opinion but ive been saying it for ages he was good enough for our first team and the fact that we needed a winger and we loaned him out makes the management at our club look even more foolish , I also think in a funny way a lot of this falls at the feet of the chairman whos ideal plan was to get a team in the premiership on the cheap and then enjoy the tv money .
    So im sick of hearing all the rubbish about JB and what a great job he is doing for our club he knows he will always be able to get his so called 40 million back one way or another but look at the lack of funds he has put into the club to be able to go out and buy quality players ( good strikers ) he has shown no ambition in my eyes , Hoff Fuller and Gregory I hope Fred wants to come back and play in that sort of team

• March 5, 2015 at 11:29

@mfc2u: 'the fact that we needed a winger and we loaned him out makes the management at our club look even more foolish'

Do you not remember that we signed A WINGER in Paris Cowan-Hall and loaning Fred was part of this deal? Not the managements fault he got injured on his debut.

• March 5, 2015 at 11:35

@spj91: with a bit of luck, assuming Fred doesn't become a striker, we will him and Paris as our wingers next season.

Both pacy and could actually see some quick attacking for a change.

• March 5, 2015 at 13:49

I thought Fred was already on loan ? my point is Fred was good enough two seasons back from what I saw of him why not have 2 good players fighting for a position now we have none that's terrible business and forward planning Yet again @spj91:

• March 5, 2015 at 13:58

@mfc2u: Fred was on loan to them but wasn't playing in games or only got 10 minutes at the end and I know this because I was checking it every week! It had expired and he was back with the club, Wycombe accepted the deal for PCH as we agreed to let them have Fred again and the club (Millwall) knew he'd get game time as we were taking their first choice.

Fred had a very good game against Charlton on his debut but when he played at Reading and Wigan this season for us he was actually very poor and the decision was made to loan him out. This is probably one of the best things Holloway has done for us this season as when he comes back to us in the summer he will be confident and won't have suffered the pain and poor performances like most of our squad will have.

• March 6, 2015 at 11:47

I may be wrong but I thought I watched Fred the season before play in a couple of home games where I thought he did very well I would have actually liked to have seen a couple of the younger players be given the chance to improve in a Millwall shirt they cant have been any worse than the players that have let us down badly this season @spj91:

• March 5, 2015 at 18:58

totally agree...glad someone else can see through the fraud that is Berylson...Millwall will not move forward with him in charge

• March 5, 2015 at 11:34

Are they playing him on the wing or up front?

• March 5, 2015 at 17:10

@benzo: does seem hes playing as an attacker..plus what we seen he dont look like a out and out wide man

• March 5, 2015 at 11:38

Next season Fred and Cummings and Paris and Nelson are the players we will have next season L1 or championship they will be key players I think

• March 5, 2015 at 12:36

If he comes back to us and with the current manager and co running the show that's a very big if.... he will either be on the bench or played on the wing. He's scoring plenty of goals at Wycombe so no reason not to try him up front although not sure what his official position is at Wycombe. If he does come back to us and does play on the wing we aint got any strikers to get on the end of crosses.

• March 5, 2015 at 12:43

There's another youngster down at Gillingham who's scoring nearly every week at tne moment and at a higher level than Fred. I can't remember his name, Parquis or Marcos, something like that. I think we should have a look at him as will be ideal in Div 1 next year. Anyone else heard of the kid?

• March 5, 2015 at 13:11

@lion.ie: Seriously though. If Maquis isn't good enough for this club, what are Gregory, the Hoff, Fat Bloke and Fat bloke2 doing here. I've said on here before, if Marquis is only league 2 level, why did we pay 250,000 on an older striker from Halifax. (Conference north)

• March 5, 2015 at 12:48

If Fred is sold in the summer, it will be final confirmation that the club is in the hands of loons and crackpots

• March 5, 2015 at 12:50

Wigan beating Norwich is a real double kick in the teeth. One because we are now even deeper in the mire and two because Norwich will be looking to bounce back and won't be caught cold. Grabban is out, so we won't have that distraction and Hooiveld should be able to give some insider info pointers to Holloway.

• March 5, 2015 at 12:56

Will hooiveld be eligible to play ? May have been a term of cutting loan short and all parties paying his wages he can't play against us ?

• March 5, 2015 at 12:58

Maybe when we bring Fred back we should bring Gareth Ainsworth with him?

• March 5, 2015 at 13:44

Red should be playing for us now. If Rooney was good enough for Everton at 16, Fred is good enough for Millwall at 18.

• March 5, 2015 at 14:13

@Menorca Millwall: Honestly some of your comments are absolutely ridiculous and judging by your name 'Menorca Millwall' you probably are basing your arguments on posts on here rather than seeing games

Regarding an earlier comment you posted about Gregory - He scored 33 goals in the conference last season NOT the conference north and the fans wanted an unknown hungry striker rather than an old has been and that's what we got and I for one really do believe he will become a very good signing for us in the long term and has the makings of a very good striker.

Then you moved on to John Marquis, he was awful in a Millwall shirt, I accept he was a trier and ran his socks off but that is not good enough as a striker and I can assure you he will stop scoring for Gillingham at some point and he will be an average striker floating around League 1, maybe The Championship if he's lucky. As much as I wanted it to work out for him at Millwall it just never was going to as he wasn't up to standard.

And finally Fred! He had one excellent game against Charlton but if you had seen the performances against Reading and Wigan THIS SEASON he was dreadful not because he's a bad footballer but because he's a young inexperienced footballer! His loan deal at Wycombe is exactly what he needed to develop and he will be a much better footballer back at The Den in the summer than he ever would have been if he stayed here this year.

Dislike away, I know you will!

• March 5, 2015 at 15:05

@spj91 As Meat Loaf would say it "You took the words right out of my mouth". If there's one thing that the club has done better this term then it's the young players. We have already seen a few of them been given the chance in the first team and hopefully these players will become regular starters with time. And it's good to see that the players we sent out on loan is enjoying success. Hopefully the experience will do them good and they will come back with loads of confidence ready to kick on. Personally I don't think Fred would have been our saviour this season had he stayed at The Den. @spj91:

• March 5, 2015 at 15:12

@spj91: You're right about me not getting over much any more, but I do try and get 5 games a season if I can. Will be flying in to see Bolton away and Brighton at home in a couple of weeks, but that will be it for this season. No direct flight in the winter and costing 500.00 every time I come over makes it a costly few days. In answer to your comments, I probably don't have your profound experience of following Millwall and have only watched maybe 900-1000 games since 1968 which means I probably don't know what makes a Millwall player. In my ill informed opinion, Gregory isn't it for me. Nice touch, yes, but goes missing for long periods. Reminds me a little of watching a kid on a Sunday morning who has 5 lovely touches during a game, but is ultimately ineffective. Similar in some ways to Tommy Tyne who we got from Slade Green a few years ago who in my opinion also flattered to deceive. With regard to Fred, I think that we can draw a comparison with both Kevin O'Callaghan and Mark Kennedy. Both young and wingers, they came into innitially poor teams and grew into the fine players that they became. In the situation we find ourselves, I'll always back a player like JM to play before one of the mercenaries. That running your socks of thing can make a difference when the margins between survival and relegation are so small. Having said that I think he's better than that and against Villa a couple of years ago in the cup looked the second best player on the field after Shittu to me. It's a shame he's never had a run in the team which means we'l never know which one us is right. He's got a touch of the Stephen Torpey to me, who we also got rid of for not being "good enough", but always looked a good player when he came back to the Den. In closing, I don't get to games that much, but until recently was able to watch live streams on the betting sites, which whilst not the same, gives you an idea of what's happening.. Having said that, I bow to your superior knowledge of all things Millwall.

• March 5, 2015 at 17:09

@Menorca Millwall:

You've just talked about players from years ago, how much it costs you to get to games, sarcastic comments about how many games you've been too over the years and a performance from John Marquis from a game that took place about 3 years ago and then only bother to write about 1 line on one of the current squad which who you're slagging off?

I am not saying I have a superior knowledge of Millwall nor would I be so arrogant to think I know it all nor was I questioning your knowledge of what it takes to be a Millwall player, I was questioning your ability to s*** off players who you very rarely see or how you can say that Fred is ready for our first team on a regular basis at 18 when he has 1 good game at this level for us? I am excited about Fred as much as everyone else but most of the fans can see he needed to be playing football week in week out for his development and Wycombe have provided him with the best platform to show what he can do when he comes back to us at a higher level of football next season.

You can tell me more than most about Tommy Tyne, Mark Kennedy etc but slagging off Gregory when you've seen him possibly a couple of times is just based on reading comments from other people and not witnessing his all round play in games. On Saturday against Rotherham he actually had a brilliant game in terms of his movement, running into the channels, hassling their back 4 and getting into decent positions - I understand that as a striker he needs to be scoring goals and he didn't take his golden opportunity but I for one am very certain it will happen for him. Oh and he gives everything when he wears the shirt, his finishing can be questioned but I can assure you most Millwall fans are not questioning his effort.

• March 5, 2015 at 19:25

@spj91: Sorry about that, I'm new to this forum game. Looking at the likes and dislikes, you seem to be the resident victim and I didn't mean to make it worse. There's too many Palace and Charlton fans to rip into without getting stuck into each other. COYL. I think that's what you youngsters say.

• March 5, 2015 at 18:54

spj91..... I think you just got told by Menorca, you must feel like the players do coming off the pitch after a good beating

• March 6, 2015 at 09:13

@tonytowneronthewing: yes I got 'told' I don't know how I'm going to face the day now.

It's a forum about the club that I love... WE love, if I disagree with a post I will comment, exactly what I've done.

• March 6, 2015 at 10:26

@spj91: Couldn't agree more. Well said that man.

• March 6, 2015 at 11:27

only observing that you had not originally shown the same understanding, when you first rubbished Menorca's post...calling his comments ridiculous, and questioning his allegience.......It would appear that you must subscribe to the Holloway method of changing tactics and formations

• March 5, 2015 at 14:22

If you want to further your career Fred, don't come back to this two bob outfit.

• March 5, 2015 at 15:58

I wonder how many goals Marquis would score for Halifax.....I hope Gregory does start scoring but after 20 odd games hes got 3 goals.....is he better than Marquis ? Ollie thinks so but he would after paying 250 grand for him.....thats probably why he let Marquis go

• March 5, 2015 at 16:09

@SE17 Lion: truth is no one is scoring for us. If the other strikers were scoring regularly and Greg kept missing I would have to conclude he wasn't up to it. Not saying he will come good but have to hope with time he will, league 1 should be easier at least.

• March 6, 2015 at 09:53

@MFC Lion: You're right, look at last season we had Jackson, Campbell, McDonald all proven goal scorers in the past but they couldn't score bcause they were all similar players who needed a big front man to feed off. They were made to look very poor because of the lack of opportunities, service and formations not suited to the personel we had. And who's fault was that? He's now doing it with Gregory. It's funny when any one leaves MFC they usually end up playing a lot better for their new club, so what the fk is going on down here.

• March 5, 2015 at 17:52

Cant wait for fred to come back next season. Will be a key figure in millwalls new start. We can never be a great club without a quality youngster to build the team around. Look what burnley did with ings and palace with zaha.

• March 5, 2015 at 18:11

Don't get your hopes up Freddy boy you've got BUY ME written all over you.dislikers remember that.

• March 5, 2015 at 18:17

And another thing don't feel you need to be loyal you'll wind up o sky as a pundit for a living,look at matt le t***.

• March 5, 2015 at 20:18

If Fred keeps proving his worth and a club comes in for him then take no less than 5 million. That what every other club does so it is about time we did the same and stop giving our players away for peanuts. I hope he stays but if he turns out to be that good then the inevitable will happen. The board need to sign him to a long term contract sharpish and then stand firm. But that's not what we do.

• March 5, 2015 at 20:55

if we don't get him to sign a contract the board should resign in shame or we should make sure they do

• March 5, 2015 at 21:57

@timchimes: Unfortunately contracts are a two way thing, and if he doesn't want to sign a new contract regardless of what we offer, there's nothing we can do about it. However, we should try very hard now, and offer the best we can. He had the chance to go elsewhere before signing his current contract, so we might stand a chance.

• March 5, 2015 at 22:56

@timchimes: The board should resign anyway for the state they have put the club in and their disdainful attitude towards the fans.

• March 6, 2015 at 01:10

Everyone keeps slagging off Gregory, his a decent striker who's not getting enough service every good striker needs a few chances to get going give him time, which we haven't got but he'll get there

• March 6, 2015 at 07:56

@Paul d: agree with you 100%. This is a player who made the switch from non league to the no.1 league.it will take him a little time to adjust to the sheer competitive of the league..i go to alot of away games and sometime sit in the home areas of the grounds.and they all said that mfc wants to keep him..
      like you say hes isolated for most of the game no one to play of..its not helping the lad

• March 6, 2015 at 08:58

@Paul d: I dont s*** off any player but Gregory has missed 2 great chances in the last 2 games which is the difference on heads going down when we concede Ive seen him play regular and he is a bit lightweight for me he dont lead the line and make himself space....hes a poacher who aint poaching.... Ollie has made them all look bad this season

• March 6, 2015 at 10:04

Fred is No 1 on the transfer data app and Marquis is No 2........