I couldn't be trying harder says Millwall boss after defeat

IAN Holloway insisted he couldn't be trying any harder as Millwall's manager after his side fell to another heavy defeat.

The Lions remain six points adrift of safety after they were beaten 3-0 by Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium on Tuesday night.

Holloway had gone into the game hoping to prove to chairman John Berylson that he "could motivate this group" but will now have further talks with the American owner.

He said: "It doesn't help when you're not popular with the fans, it puts extra pressure on people.

"I'm sure I'll be talking to the chairman over the next few days and we'll have to see where we are.

"I couldn't give it any more. I couldn't try any harder than I am at the minute and we just can't buy a goal.

"I would hope to continue but if other people don't then that's their decision. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

"Tonight we came up against a good team who were lethal.

"We came up here to get on with this game and I felt it was a big opportunity for me to show the chairman I could motivate this group and give me a platform to build on."

Millwall had started the game well enough but after Lee Gregory missed a one-on-one, Patrick Bamford struck to ease Boro's early nerves.

"There's no bad team in the Championship but at the moment we're one of the worst because of the run we're on," Holloway added.

"We had a great chance and didn't take it. They get one and wallop, it's a clinical finish. That's the difference. It was a great goal from their point of view, but we're gutted.

"You can see the lack of confidence once we missed the chance. Up until then it was good. I thought we did OK.

"The team looked like they wanted to play and wanted to create for me, then we miss a chance and it's the same old story. That's the way things are."

194 thoughts on “I couldn't be trying harder says Millwall boss after defeat

• March 3, 2015 at 23:44

Time to go Ollie .....for your own health.....give us a chance

• March 4, 2015 at 00:07

He's not going to resign by the sound of it. Has failed miserably and possibly now expects a pay-off. This is not going to end well

• March 4, 2015 at 05:54

@drifter: drifter I make you right he anit going to walk, as regards he cant work any harder I also agree, but he has brought a lot of new blood into the club atnd nearly all have not really worked, and secondly he is not the manager that he thinks he is i.e. not good enough.
        So JB you need to do your job and if you cant afford to sack him maybe suspend him and get someoneinside the club to take over untill the end of the season, as weseem to have nothing to loseas we are nearly down. Some new blood may be able to get the wins that we need to avoid the drop.

• March 4, 2015 at 04:05

@SE17 Lion: oh trust me Ollie, there are bad teams in the championship and they are called Millwall, Wigan and Blackpool. Sadly you are still in charge of Millwall and we have been poor all season. We need a new leader who will be direct and clear with what he wants and what he expects. You have had 35 games this season and are heading for relegation because of your leadership, your tactics and your style of play.......... It's time to go it really is.

• March 4, 2015 at 06:05

@SE17 Lion: rumour doing the rounds holloway wants to change mill wall's name to norfolk and chance fc.

• March 4, 2015 at 09:58

@TONY BLOCK28:
        I heard that it was going to be Novak n Good managed by John still and guess what , we would be....wait for it........ Still Novak n Good

• March 4, 2015 at 16:34

@SE17 Lion: your best aint good enough you have the worse record of any Millwall manager , you have been the highest transfer budget of any millwall manager and we still cant win

• March 3, 2015 at 23:44

"I felt it was a big opportunity for me to show the chairman I could motivate this group and give me a platform to build on."
    Now to me, that sounds like someone has had a word in his shell like. And, taking it a stage further, I think after Saturday he's gone. Either resigned or sacked. Is there enough games left to save us given we're technically 7 points adrift? Not sure. What I do know is that if things stay as they are, we're relegated.

• March 3, 2015 at 23:53

@NICKOLA: I've got a feeling they've given him a time period and it could well be the Norwich game that he has to save his skin.

• March 4, 2015 at 00:02

@The Roar: I don't think it's a time period with the Norwich game. I think he's been told ' Look, I've brought forward the re-vamp and it's cost a fortune. Get it sorted, get them moitivated-or else'. That was said before the Rotherham game I would think. The ONLY way we are going to stand even a remote chance of staying up is to remove Holloway. At the end of the day, stay up or get relegated, we can't keep him in charge and I would hope that even JB has finally smelt the coffeee over that one.

• March 4, 2015 at 10:10

@NICKOLA: Mr Holloway's work away from first team management has been praised and much money has been spent on the pitches at the training ground as a result of it. Sadly his work with the first team has been a dismal failure but such failure should not have been a surprise as he has always been useless.
          Nobody doubts that he is doing his best and nobody wants to see him ill. Nobody doubts that this will be his last job in football management and that any subsequent career in the media will require that he leave with some credibility.
          Nobody wants to see Mr Holloway walk away with a large amount of cash that could have been spent on a striker but he obviously needs to go because we are seeing a repeat of the Palace fiasco.
          So is the answer as Junkmale said to send him on garden leave or perhaps better just "promote" him to a new post as Director of Football, required to turn up each day and consider the future but have no day to day responsibility? Then get someone in to stage a recovery built on the Millwall way of old. Rarely the best but always the most determined. Any chance of getting Terry Hurlock fit for a few games?

• March 4, 2015 at 10:15

@Jzero: Who is this "Nobody"?

• March 4, 2015 at 11:11

@Jzero: Great post. Concise and intelligent, You should apply for the CEO post when it comes up. Don't think Ambler will survive the next cull.

• March 4, 2015 at 08:37

@The Roar: If that game goes the way of most of the previous 35 games then it will be too late to get someone in or promote from within to hopefully change our results, the personnel at the club are not up to Championship standard and he has a lot to answer for with the players he brought in to improve the squad.
        I think he is here until the bitter end and if and I do hope he does he manages to keep us up, he should still leave the club so they can appoint a new man and give him the full summer to hopefully get it right for next term.

• March 4, 2015 at 16:41

@The Roar: to be honest if they expect anything other than a defeat because that is what will happen if we are lucky me score a goal it will be even bettwr if a forward scores that would be a novelty

• March 4, 2015 at 00:18

@NICKOLA: Too little too late. There's little point in pulling the trigger now without a quality replacement waiting in the wings. If we stay up it will be a miracle whoever takes over - why waste the money paying Holloway to walk. Pisses me off as it will cost near to million to change over all the bloody staff again - the club should have spent that getting a decent striker and we would not be on this mess! ⚽️

• March 4, 2015 at 00:19

@TURBO_COYL: * In this mess.

• March 4, 2015 at 07:02

@TURBO_COYL: what they should have done is make him sign a get out clause based on results. His one of the highest earners in the league and was given the biggest budget of any millwall manager. You'd think he would sign a contract giving the club some leeway if he didn't perform given his confidence / ego/ "experience of getting clubs promoted"

This once again is s*** management at boardroom level. When lomas went there was more than one candidate so why not negotiate with potential managers?? I reckon the meeting with ambler went something like..
        "Mr holloway would you like a cushy number with loadsa dough, and if it don't work out we'll pay you up the rest anyway"
        What would you say?

• March 4, 2015 at 08:31

@brockleysfinest: at the time of appointing Ollie the club was desperate (no change there) so I imagine they offered him whatever he asked for.

To be fair the majority of us, myself included, wanted him as manager and even if it was just delaying the inevitable we did avoid relegation last season.

All gone horribly wrong since of course.

• March 4, 2015 at 09:52

Just brought the kids some circus tickets online from seat wave printed them off says Millwall v Norwich see the best clown in the world OLLIE

• March 4, 2015 at 17:55

@MFC Lion: there's the problem.. "Offered him what he asked for"! Too much of a risk for a club with plenty of debt and s*** gates. You don't have to be on dragons den to see what a bad move that was. Highest paid manager that can't attract decent signings because the doughs been swallowed up on his wages..
            Was a shocking deal that we're now stuck with

• March 4, 2015 at 09:22

lets face it we have been bottom four in championship last four years and seen it coming we all felt Ollie was the one to push us forward with his previous record getting clubs promoted sadly it's all gone Pete tong. The players he brought in haven't been good enough we have picked players up from championship clubs who carnt even make their first teams how the hell were they going to make a difference to us. Money talks at end of day in all walks of life dosent matter who takes over the same financial restrictions will apply we won't sign any quality players only past sell date players. We are doomed Mr Mannering!

• March 4, 2015 at 08:37

@NICKOLA: They don't need to sack him. Just put him on gardening leave. He won't want the embarrassment of that and will bugger off of his own accord. We might have to pay his wages for a couple of months but his ego is too big to tolerate it for long

• March 4, 2015 at 13:01

@junkmale: it's my preferred option at the moment. If the man won't do the decent thing and walk make him carry on 'working' in a role that cannot influence the squad.

He still gets JBs cash so why make it easy for him?

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.