Preview: Middlesbrough vs. Millwall

DIEGO Fabbrini is a doubt for Millwall's daunting trip to promotion-chasing Middlesbrough tonight.

Fabbrini was taken off against Rotherham with what appeared to be a muscle strain and boss Ian Holloway was unsure after the game if the Italian would feature at the Riverside.

The Lions are hoping to have Gary Taylor-Fletcher available after he suffered a nasty cut to his head at the New York Stadium.

None of the players with medium-term injuries – Lee Martin (foot), Stefan Maierhofer (quad) and Shaun Cummings (thigh) – are likely to be involved.

Carlos Edwards (knee) will not play again this season but Nicky Bailey is edging closer to a return from a persistent calf problem.

Middlesbrough will be able to call upon Jelle Vossen – their hat-trick hero at The Den in December – after a spell on the sidelines with concussion.

But Daniel Ayala (thigh), Damia Abella (knee) and Rhys Williams (Achilles) will miss out.

75 thoughts on “Preview: Middlesbrough vs. Millwall

• March 3, 2015 at 11:09

I fear the worse tonight, but you never know!!!! If we lose badly, then surely IH will go, or will they wait for another disaster Saturday before he falls on his sword.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:12

@beedoscores: Don't want to ruin your day but even if it's a cricket score tonight and on Saturday, Holloway is going nowhere. Even the Millwall board wouldn't have a change of heart at this stage. As for tonight, well stranger things have happened...

• March 3, 2015 at 11:35

@NICKOLA: I agree Nickola, what ever happens from here till the end of the season we will have Holloway at our realm , the worrying thought for me is when we go down & there is every chance he'll continue with us in league 1. As for tonight wouldn't surprise me if we get a shock result up there

• March 3, 2015 at 11:48

@Jingles: I'm not so sure. The board haven't acted up to now because discontent hasn't been very vocal at home. But as soon as the crowd really turn on Holloway, Berylson and the board will drop him like a stone. Far better Millwall managers, including Rioch, Docherty and McGhee have been sacked once the crowd has turned on them after bad runs.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:34

@beedoscores: As Nikola said, the score doesn't matter. I think the next two games will see us concede at least 7 and maybe score 1. If they was going to get rid of him they would have done it back in November when the writing was well and truly on the wall in great big permanent marker. Unfortunately though he remains at the helm. I think he'll go once we're relegated to be honest. A sad and sorry state of affairs. Does anyone remember when the Den used to be a scary place to come, a tough place where teams would park the bus so to speak and try not to lose. These days though every team must come to us licking their lips ready for a party atmosphere on the coach home as 3 points is virtually guaranteed. I worry about Saturday.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:18

Still no good news yet. Tonights score 4-0

• March 3, 2015 at 11:31

Ah f*** them! Hang it out in the breeze n don't leave anything in the tank.. Let's give em hell, better to die on ya feet than live on ya knees. C'mon lions.

• March 3, 2015 at 15:22

@grassgrower: totally agree only we been on our knees for 3yrs I used to have loads of mate's ant got none now trying to defend this bunch of s***. ALL WE ARE SAYING IS GIVE US A GOAL. With noob in charge no chance.COUL

• March 3, 2015 at 11:32

They may take it easy with us as we are one of their best customers, if we drop who else are they going to dump their dross onto?

• March 3, 2015 at 11:33

I have gone for a 3.0 but I think it maybe double that or more, in a morbid way I think whatever the score it will be ok, I don't think I'm putting this across very well but it won't matter, I think that's what I'm trying to say.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:34

Lets give it a shot tonight, won last 2 up there!!

Play 442

Forde
    adbou
    nelson
    hoov
    harding
    fabrini
    tonge
    upson
    woolford
    gtf
    gregory

• March 3, 2015 at 14:13

@abbo_2000: in our current state we could play 22 with a formation of 2 8 8 4 and still concede more than we score.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:43

confidence....shot
    forwards....no shots
    board....should be shot
    opposition....lots of shots
    goalie....can't stop a shot
    our bolt....SHOT.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:43

I'm being optimistic and saying we'll have 3 shots on target!
    COYL.

• March 3, 2015 at 11:48

We see a very tight game, but the Millwall supporters will win the 'Loudest Cheer - Team Noise' that's for sure, especially after a few beers. LOL! ( NOLU, WDC ).

• March 3, 2015 at 11:50

SYD IS THAT OVER THE NEXT 3 MATCHES ????

• March 3, 2015 at 11:50

dteading it and sillybllx is still fking with us. sorry but never back against us but 4-0 to them and count ourselves fortunate but it also would not shock me a 1-0 to us lol

• March 3, 2015 at 12:08

I'm being very optimistic and will settle for getting a corner from the next 2 games.

• March 3, 2015 at 12:12

60-1 for a 2-0 away win, worth a punt! Won 3/4 up there so I have faith, then a draw against Norwich Sat! We will survive this season, just keep believing!!

• March 3, 2015 at 12:31

whitelion i want whatever you are taking mate lol

• March 3, 2015 at 12:55

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't i read on here somewhere that the new tv deals are worth 5 million to a championship side and 500,000 to a Division 1 team???

If so offer the players a cash bonus if we stay up, YES I ALREADY KNOW THEY GET PAID ENOUGH but if it keeps us in the championship then so be it, if we stay up then use some of the money to send IH on his way and the rest of it to get a replacement Manager and a PROVEN STRIKER!!!!!

• March 3, 2015 at 13:06

@antzz64: I don't think the problem is money, its sending out the team with the right formation and then the players delivering. Most are leaving end of the season so maybe don't care enough. Motivation will be avoiding having a relegation on their CV's, sadly the rest is up to them.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:21

@antzz64: They aught to offer us fans a bonus for turning up. Also if Hoyte or Bailey got a wage bonus for staying up I think there would be a few less fans next year.

• March 3, 2015 at 13:18

No fab oh well can't get any worse, life of the millwall fan the true supporters whatever league we are in COYL

• March 3, 2015 at 13:22

To the fans going to boro tonight you deserve season tickets for life. Respect! Let's hope the team shows you the same!!

• March 3, 2015 at 13:50

@Lions88: To the fans who are going up there to support the team, much respect: to the idiots who dragged the club's name through the mud again on Saturday, stay away, please.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:07

@Mick M: We are gong tonight to support the team thru thick and thin and all those morons please stay away for good .

• March 3, 2015 at 14:34

@Mick M: a few articles earlier there was an article saying that the Yorkshire Police refused to change their ticketing policy for Millwall fans. Unfortunately now I imagine it will remain in place as they will simply point to the Rotherham match and use that as a reason to continue to treat all Millwall fans as criminals.

• March 3, 2015 at 15:23

@southlondon1885: Sadly, I think you're right. What's the matter with these morons that they can't see the damage they do to our club?

• March 3, 2015 at 15:52

@Mick M: I wasn't there and the footage online seems to just show gesturing and scuffling with the OB. I don't know what happened but because Millwall are involved it will obviously be reported with much more passion and there will be more media interest. Hats off for going mate. At the moment I travel into London to watch them at home as I was priced out of London but in the current climate I struggle to motivate myself to go as I come away upset every week. Stay safe.

• March 3, 2015 at 13:36

Middlesborough's Spanish manager has not spent anything this season, he says what money they did use came from the players they sold at the start of the season. They have climbed the table under good management and sensible decisions. Something lacking in Holloway, there is no escaping the truth that he has been a disaster for Millwall, everyone seems to know it except the board (although I am sure some of them must regret bringing in Holloway) Hanging on to him is only making a bad situation worse, he has to go.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:15

@Peckhamlad: Middlesborough, Derby, Bournemouth and perhaps Norwich all show the impact made by a good manager. Watford seem to show the benefit of club structure, successful despite so many management changes
      You do not have to look far to see the disastrous impact of an incompetent manager and apparently poor club structure. Root and branch change is needed, too much seems rotten.

• March 3, 2015 at 13:50

On the question of IH going or staying,i met a friend ( a palace) last night,and he came up with an interesting scenario,( and he was being genuine not taking the pee)
    He said unlike us palace got shot of him in time to get out of trouble,he said if we feel we have a chance of going up then get rid of him now.
    If we we think we are going down keep him and let it be on his CV he took us down,otherwise he will just wriggle out of blame by saying he should have been given the chance of keeping us up.
    He will then get TV commentating fee's as a pundit and he win's

• March 3, 2015 at 13:52

I know he's contracted with WW till the end of the season but to hell with the legalities and bring Fred back home. Yes we may be punished financially but we'll be more out of pocket by dropping a division. Mind you, maybe he's better off out the way of all the s###. Besides Holloway would probably play him in goal.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:01

Hats off to you folks going up there tonight, real troopers.
    Coco really don't deserve you, but Millwall Football club do, and need you.
    Just let him have it verbally if it all goes breasts up, and that way
    he might just keep away from the Den Saturday, and it sure would be
    a nicer smell - relegation or not.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:13

@ TERRYTHETURK : loved your SHOTS post , just read it, great humour TEL. Your other posts are good as well, your on it today boy, well done

• March 3, 2015 at 14:17

TERRY THE TURKS post " SHOTS " has actually got one DISLIKE, can't believe some people on here FFS .

• March 3, 2015 at 14:41

Feel sorry for anyone goin tonight, saw the 1-5 at the den and was prob the worst performance ive seen since a 0-4 pre season friendly to palace in 98

• March 3, 2015 at 14:44

there's no point mentioning a bloody friendly mate, they are just fitness builders.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:51

Fearing the worst ahead of tonights game, But stranger things have happened. Lets see if there is fight and passion on show tonight, and I don't mean from the stands.

• March 3, 2015 at 14:59

I didn't know we had Middlesborough tonight! s***!

• March 3, 2015 at 15:17

@mfclions: Yes, I'd rather just close my eyes and wish the rest of the season would go away. I can only see us being stuffed again tonight with those clowns Forde and Dunne in the team.

• March 3, 2015 at 15:00

What ever the result tonight as long as the players give us 100% and battle for every ball the fans will back then the players need to stand up and be counted NOLU

• March 3, 2015 at 15:43

Differently from many of you,i still believe we can stay up,then we will win at Riverside tonight...

COYL!!!

• March 3, 2015 at 15:44

One Bobby Bacic, there's only one Bobby Bacic...
    Someone get Bobby a cuppa, could be another late shift!

P.s. We're f##ked.

• March 3, 2015 at 16:10

@jcmfc1967: I'm as optimistic as you. Thought 8-0 myself, but expecting there is to be a real surprise I.e. match abandoned "goalnet busted" coyl but I can only see a painful tonking.

• March 3, 2015 at 16:13

I can see us finish bottom of this division at end of season and with that PRAT still here.

• March 3, 2015 at 17:10

I don think this injury prone squad can possibly keep us up

I am already thinking of next season and who goes up from L1 and L2

our best hope is that it is a weak division next year - this year it is strong with Bristol and Swindon, MK Dons , Bradford etc all looking good - 3 have to go up and the 3 coming up dont look like being that good - I cant see blackpool or wigan doing much with their finances - it might be a bit soft next year - let hope orient stay up for a London derby -

• March 3, 2015 at 17:35

The fact that Ian onyourway is still here makes me feel sick, I see an injury excuses coming on for 2nights performance regardless of his tactics. This man think he is bigger than the club and @ the moment he his the club. Don't let this go on any longer.

• March 3, 2015 at 17:41

match is on five live tonight http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0540nyk

• March 3, 2015 at 18:36

He took QPR down to league 1 & took 3 years to get them back, then he was sent on gardening leave as they battled relegation, amidst the constant rumours he was going to Leicester. Then after promising Plymouth he would take them to the premier league, he walked out & took the Leicester job & then got them swiftly relegated. Then he had his claim to fame by taking Blackpool to the premier league & it was no suprise they went straight back down. He then took over Palace when they were top of the league & managed to scrape up through the play off's, then the t*** walks with palace bottom claiming he has run out of ideas. We all know what Pulis then achieved with the same team, now he has destroyed us too. I never wanted this ego maniac & am as miserable as sin for being right, show some f****** pride & walk man as you are the worst Millwall manager in my 45 years of watching the Lions. that said (COYL)

• March 3, 2015 at 21:38

What bo.llocks will we get after this result? It was cold t'up North and my players weren't expecting it.....or some other pathetic excuse. Or better still, we won't get his comments on the game, they are so condescending it makes me weep.