Millwall boss convinced of survival ahead of Rotherham trip

IAN Holloway is convinced that Millwall will avoid relegation and claims Saturday's trip to Rotherham is no more important than any other of their remaining games.

Victory on their first-ever visit to the New York Stadium would see the Lions move level on points with the fourth-bottom Millers, who were beaten 3-0 by Watford in midweek.

Holloway, who is rallying his troops after a 3-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday, says he has "boatloads of optimism" about Millwall's chances of escaping the drop into League One.

"We've got 13 big games left and I believe we will stay up," said the Lions boss.

"We did it under our own steam last year on the last day of the season and the year before we stayed up because of other results.

"I want us to do it ourselves again and I believe that we will regardless of what setbacks we suffer with this new team.

"Tuesday night was a setback and I didn't like what happened but we've got to move on.

"There are 13 games left and Rotherham is just one of them. I've got boatloads of optimism.

Holloway, who has scrutinised his own role in the midweek loss to the Owls, could be without Martyn Woolford (ribs) and Gary Taylor-Fletcher (foot).

"It looks like I'll be forced to make some changes," he added. "I'll look at everything I've done, every decision I've made and then we'll move on.

"I saw the bits that we got right and the bits that we got wrong the other day, and I'm not happy with whose injured, but such is life.

"We'll look at Tuesday, analyse it and chew it over but we won't dwell on it.

"Rotherham look as vulnerable as we do if they let a goal in. They've conceded eight goals in their last two games so I'm not sure they're feeling too confident.

"We've got to go there and not give them a head start."

55 thoughts on “Millwall boss convinced of survival ahead of Rotherham trip

• February 27, 2015 at 11:39

Need to play two strikers then!

• February 27, 2015 at 11:40

Unbelievably Mr. Holloway you still have the backing of over a thousand of the best fans in the country backing you on Saturday afternoon, despite all the s*** we've put up with, so don't let us down!

• February 27, 2015 at 11:43

Big shame we couldn't sign Chris Wood on loan. Ipswich have done very well there.

Not overly convinced by IH's latest comments. You can be as optimistic as you want, we've won 7 games this season. We probably need to win 3/4 plus some draws to stay up, from 13 games. Going to be very tight again, but we must win on Saturday.

• February 27, 2015 at 15:53

@JBMMFC: we have to play 6 in the top 8, so at best maybe 3 pts there, then 7 games with the likes of rotherham, brighton, wigan. squeaky bum time. we have to be clear by the time we play derby or its curtains!!!!!

• February 27, 2015 at 11:46

Not playing 3 at the back and trying to put out 2 upfront will mean a 433 or your personal dreaded 442 formation Mr. Holloway I think we have the players to go 433 and switch it back to 451 interchangeably when needed. It won't ge pretty tomo but we got to go back to basics and grind out the win. It's what Old Millwall is about when the chips are down and we can do it better than most

• February 27, 2015 at 11:52

Shut ya face and get on with it!!!

• February 27, 2015 at 11:58

Wigan and Blackpool seem relegated and anyone from Charlton down still look dodgy. So Holloway could somehow still keep us up this season. None of us wants to see Millwall relegated, but regardless of how we fare, I'm still adamant that Holloway is a disaster and has to go.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:05

@Micky Lions: Agreed, I was prepared to give him until the summer when the contracts expire and he brought in his own players, as they decided to move that forward I'm moving my opinion forward and I've seen enough, maybe with better quality players at his disposal and more wiggle room in budget he can be a good manager, but I honestly think we aren't the right fit for each other, and up or down he should leave at the end of the season.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:05

@Micky Lions: Too true Micky.We all want Millwall to stay up,but IH is not our Manager for next season whatever happens.

• February 28, 2015 at 07:28

@Longfield Lion: What if........this 'new' team clicks and we were to go on an undefeated run .....say eight wins and five draws....for example

How many Holloway haters on here would say at the end of the season, that Holloway had to go ???

It is all about results and at the present time we are pretty much the same as the team from Kenny Jacketts last season - results wise - except for the small amount of games when we had Chris Wood in the side.

The only differences I can see is that we are attempting to assimilate youth players into the set up - without destroying them - ( a bit too slowly for my liking, cos if they are good enough they are old enough )
        We are not playing hoofball as we were under KJ - IH has his own philosophy as to how the game should be played and this must have been discussed with JB and AA when he was given a contract and subsequently - my criticism would be that the team selection, formation and style of play should be according to the players that we have available to us - if we had a player like Derek Possee or Barry Bridges then ONE up front would be OK - if we had Sheringham and Cascarino then you would have to play TWO upfront ......however IH still insists on playing left footers on the right ( ok if you have the skill and pace and awareness of a Lionel Messi - but ridiculous if you have the awareness, ability, pace and lack of first touch of a Magaye Gueye)...
        We can only hope that his team selection and method of play starts to bring results ( sometimes it is a lucky deflection that starts the ball rolling - Alex Ferguson was due to get the elbow before a lucky deflection got them a goal to draw a cup match, they won the replay then their first trophy fir ages and the rest is history).....

Win lose or draw WE WILL still support MILLWALL.....so COYL.... and hope that our fortunes change for the better starting today

• February 27, 2015 at 12:01

all this talk does not paper over the cracks

woolford playing lat game but he was prepared to let him go-- now he is suggesting he will be missed - it isn't good enough - the squad is threadbare in terms of qulaity

hof and gtf missing so where is the forward line - wingers?? fulback missing

why should we get results in these circumstances?

• February 27, 2015 at 17:48

@timchimes: I agree where are these supposed goals coming from!We need a magician!!!!!

• February 27, 2015 at 12:04

Brighton and Charlton games upcoming, both will be key games, need to beat rotherham and get a good 3 points because Middlesborough will be very difficult to beat away, so will Norwich

• February 27, 2015 at 12:13

'No more important that any other game?' YOU MUST BE OUT OF YOUR MIND HOLLOWAY.
    Lose this one and looking at who we've got coming up I'd say we'll be down by the end of March.
    Well done to all at Millwall !

• February 27, 2015 at 12:17

Don't agree IH, this game is mathematically double in value of all other remaining games!! This is not opinion, pure and simple mathematics.

We do have to stick with IH, whether we like it or not. Personally I think it would be a mistake sacking him at this stage. I don't see how someone else can get us an average of 1.2 points a game coming in at this late stage, so we have to hope IH can get use these averages.

• February 27, 2015 at 13:10

@SE14: I think he's just trying to take the pressure off for what he knows deep inside is such a crucial must-not-lose game. If Rotherham win we are in serious trouble. The one average that really could decide our fate is our goal average, so add another point to how far we are from safety. Holloway is here to stay, but February was always going to be our crunch month and so far his tactics and selections have not delivered what we all hoped for. Tomorrow is vitally important. Depending on the outcome we will approach the remaining games as either pretty much nailed on certs for the drop or a team with a fighting chance of staying up.

• February 27, 2015 at 13:47

@SE14: Completely agree, don't like Holloway but we're stuck with the carrot crunching mug until the end of the season at least, possibly longer. We'll win tomorrow, stay confident, we fear no foe

• February 27, 2015 at 12:25

So lets get this right Holloway, we have made no progress since you joined us.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:25

Just saw Ian holloway pull up outside the den, as he got out the car his hat shot off then his tie started spinning then all the wheel on his car fell off what a clown.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:34

"IAN Holloway is convinced that Millwall will avoid relegation and claims Saturday's trip to Rotherham is no more important than any other of their remaining games".

Pure comic genius.
    If we can't beat Fulham, Wednesday and Rovrum,
    who the f*** are we going to beat in the next twelve games?
    These statements from him, HIS players and Rambler are
    getting more ludicrous by the day.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:35

Classic 6 pointer - if we don't win we're going down.

Taylor-Fletcher injured already! Actually suprised he lasted as long as he did.

• February 27, 2015 at 12:38

@chembroLion: that's because he went straight into the team and didn't g to the training ground mate

• February 27, 2015 at 12:43

@chembroLion: we were a bit unlucky in getting him on loan from leicester it was him or chris wood lucky for us our great manager picked the better player. and woody had to shuffle of to ipswich.

• February 27, 2015 at 13:46

When will people stop banging on about Chris Wood!! Jesus! He left over two years ago and isn't going to come back.
    MOVE ON

• February 27, 2015 at 13:53

@Ally: i was actually pleased with GTF tuesday bot scared to have a pop and his passing is 100% better then the kiwi..only downer was the team when we went 1 nil down..cant let there heads drop at this stage of the season..

• February 27, 2015 at 16:14

@Jim28: yeah I thought GTF linked up the play well when given the opportunity. A few players were guilty of not shooting when given the chance. Section of final ball costs us at times too

• February 27, 2015 at 13:52

You make me cry with laughter with what you come out with I gone off you now IH you keep saying the same s*** time and time again I hope you keep us up because I never in all my time have I been this low about my MILLWALL it's you that's done this IH you f*** it all up no one eles did it you had time and we still no better off if we don't win tomorrow I think it's game over for us and then you say it's not me it's the players they don't understand what I what from them

• February 27, 2015 at 14:03

Full of s***! The same person who said Gueye is fat, then gets one of his Blackpool bum boys who is huge and after his debut is injured!!
    Off the point but Chris Wood joined Ipswich

• February 27, 2015 at 14:29

Middlesborough and norwich our next two games after tomorrow, rotherham is one of the biggest games in our history

• February 27, 2015 at 14:31

We beat Rotherham convincingly, then I think we'll be OK. But realistically, can we have another relegation battle next season? Only two possible outcomes if there are no drastic changes by next season: We become a settled solid Championship side, or we go down.
    Despite Jackett jumping ship and leaving us in the s***, we have had plenty of time to change this team completely. Ultimately Berylson is the only one who can influence the quality of his team, managers can only spend what they are given. If they can only afford poor players, you'd have to be a bloody tactical genius to get them playing well… Holloway is clearly not a tactical genius and there aren't many around

• February 27, 2015 at 14:40

@Shittu's Hankey: The problem is that Holloway thinks he IS a tactical genius, he thinks squad rotation and tinkering and changing formations and personnel every game makes him so f***ing clever, yes we've had injuries and bans and things HAVE to change, but has he actually picked the same 11 players 2 games in a row?
      Dyche who was unemployed when unceremoniously dumped by Watford for not being Italian and I think available when we went for Lomas, didn't have the greatest squad at burnley, used the least amount of players got 2 goalscorers and kept it simple and won promotion.

• February 27, 2015 at 14:57

@brooker: I think the key ingredient to Dyche's success was goalscorers, as you say. Any decent team needs goals. Coincidentally, when we've had them (Harris, Wood, Morison in recent seasons) we've done well...

• February 27, 2015 at 15:23

@brooker:
        I have just done a quick look and I will correct myself the first 2 games had the same 11 players starting.
        Then game 3=1 change, 4= 2 changes 5=1 change 6=2 changes 7=5 changes.
        Can't be arsed to go through ever game :)

• February 27, 2015 at 15:05

Now we're on 13 games not so long back it was 20 and we're still in the same position nothings changing same old excuses same old poor pperformances and injury worries I'mtthinking we'll get a result of some sort on sat ,people will be sort of content until the tough away games kick in in Holloway we trust , NOT

• February 27, 2015 at 17:57

For those traveling to Rotherham, I salute you!!
    We need 3 points here, as I shudder when I think of the next two games: Boro away, Norwich at home!

• February 27, 2015 at 18:00

Win 6.0 and we're out the bottom 3 !

• February 27, 2015 at 19:13

I see what you're saying yeah.
        But , in my defence , if we win 6.0 we will be out the bottom 3 :)

• February 27, 2015 at 19:46

@Block 8: when the FL give Brum a ten point deduction we will be out of bottom three
          #applytherules

• February 27, 2015 at 20:25

We need all the help we can get that's for sure

• February 27, 2015 at 20:28

Both teams are leaking goals, so Rovrum's 0-0 written all over it, with IH spouting we've turned a corner etc, and some other player coming on here saying we can do this!!!!! ME I'm taking this run in game by game as we are capable, as we've proved, we can nick the odd suprise result, I really hope we get 3 pts but I won't be expecting anything other than a draw at best, come on lads prove me wrong, give us all hope of staying up, otherwise we'll be a league one side for years to come, Mon u Wall

• February 27, 2015 at 23:21

Win tomorrow , nothing's finalised.
    Lose tomorrow , nothing's finalised. But we are slowly but surely running out of time.
    The league table never lies !

• February 28, 2015 at 10:10

think this has been been said above, but personally I just want to see us play proper championship football. 442, big challenges, solid back line with the wide players getting the crosses in, and the CM's feeding passes, to two strikers who can play off eachother. We 're not Barcelona and we ain't gonna win pretty