Loan striker ready to play big part in Millwall's survival bid

GARY Taylor-Fletcher is confident that Millwall will stay up and says he can play a big part in keeping the Lions in the Championship.

Taylor-Fletcher was one of few bright sparks for the Lions in Tuesday’s dismal 3-1 home defeat by Sheffield Wednesday, a result that leaves them firmly in the relegation mire.

The veteran forward, who last week joined Millwall on loan until the end of the season from Leicester, saw an effort cleared off the line in the first half.

That near-miss was one of four chances the Lions failed to convert before Lewis McGugan opened the scoring for the Owls – a goal Taylor-Fletcher described as a "sucker punch".

But the 33-year-old was encouraged by his personal performance and believes he can make an important contribution to the club's survival bid.

"I think I showed in the first half what I can do," said Taylor-Fletcher.

"I like to link-up play and I'm disappointed I didn't score because I was in the right place to get on the end of chances.

"It's only a matter of time before one of those goes in. That's what I'll bring to the team – I'll score goals, create chances and link-up play.

"The manager likes that I'm experienced but I've still got desire and I still want to play. Some people say 'oh, he's 33' but that doesn't matter – I'm hungry and I want to play.

"Everyone has to adapt and develop as they get older but on Tuesday I showed that I'm not afraid to run in behind defences.

"I might not quite have the legs that I used to have but I've still got the first few yards and a brain that other people haven't got.

"I've played at every level and I'm not afraid to say what I think in the dressing room either.

"I had a bit of a say on Tuesday and that's one of the reasons why the manager brought me in, because he knows I'll be honest.

"I know what he wants. I was surprised by how good and how fresh I felt on Tuesday. I was glad to get 90 minutes under my belt."

Millwall imploded after falling behind and the visitors raced into a 3-0 lead before Diego Fabbrini's late consolation.

"We needed to get ourselves composed and go again after their first goal," Taylor-Fletcher added. "But we just seemed to lose all momentum.

"We stopped playing like we were and that gave them a way of seeing the game out. It deflated everyone – the players and the fans – and all of our positivity was gone.

"When you concede a goal you have to stay in the game but we didn't do that. If you keep it at 1-0 you have a chance of scoring an equaliser so conceding the second was a real blow.

"But if we score the first goal in one of our other games we'll put three or four past someone.

"I think we will be alright come the end of the season."

66 thoughts on “Loan striker ready to play big part in Millwall's survival bid

• February 26, 2015 at 09:48

I hope & pray that you are right, a must win game on Saturday, then a nice bit of revenge against Naritch

• February 26, 2015 at 09:52

I thought we had signed Alexei Sayle from that photo.

• February 26, 2015 at 13:31

@Sealion: strange, you never see sayle or fletcher in the same room at the same time!

• February 27, 2015 at 17:15

@Sealion: @Sealion: that's how we pick strikers they just say giSS a job....but ya never no ,good luck to him..

• February 26, 2015 at 09:54

I like him as a player, his movement was a cut above in the first half.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:00

@Adsy77777: He'll show Gregory what is expected, I think the two of them should work well together or with the Hoff.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:43

@glyngo: he did show Gregory and layed one on a plate for him and guess what ? ....... Gregory missed.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:10

What is amazing to me is that despite our diabolical season we are still only 3 points from safety with 13 games left and therefore do still have a chance of staying up.
    Show's how crap the others are below us and just above.
    Let' s hope GTF can get something going within the strikeforce.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:56

@wall2wall: Those above have got to lose first which I cant see them doing.I dont think Millwall are capable of beating anyone with the s**** they have at present.Do anyone know whats happened to Paris from Wickham?

• February 26, 2015 at 11:24

@baz2262: Where have you been baz,he got injured in training before he had played a game,got fit then got injured on his debut,now he is out of action for sometime.
        where have you been that you was unaware of that.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:44

@baz2262: posted by someone who been at home watching too much champions league.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:12

Looks like he pulled the shortest straw this morning. I'm getting really p***** off with these statements that are wheeled out.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:58

@NICKOLA: I agree Nickola, it's a case of "let's wheel out a new player to say we'll stay up, don't worry, and I'll get us the goals" all designed to take the heat off our moron of a manager. However, finally I think the vast majority of us can see past this PR crap that the club are wheeling out. It looks like we're lumbered with Holloway, this week was the time for Berylson to wake up and do the right thing, but he's failed us.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:20

Optimism on this site never fails to amaze me we have a knob manager whose deaf dumb and blind to any idea of what to do let alone the feeling the fans have for him ( God knows how he is still here)
    He must have a hold over JB
    That coupled with the fact his players yes I repeat his players his team resemble that most of them resemble the 7 dwarfs all bloody odd with the one or two exception onward and downward the ship will go while all those that could do something to save it stand ideally by looking on
    t****** the lot of them

• February 26, 2015 at 10:22

i predict that we will lose our next three games, then its lights out for the rest of the season. hope I'm wrong but our team is so fragile, the slightest thing goes wrong and we fold. thats not the wall I'm accustomed to watching.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:34

I'm glad they're being optimistic, I'm sure they're aware they have been w*** this season but at least they haven't given up yet, that would be much much worse in my opinion . We still have 13 games to go and are only 3 points from safety, can still dig ourselves out of this mess COYL!!!

• February 26, 2015 at 11:37

@baz2262: we need to get 3 more points than Rorherham from 13 games.

That's 39 pts to play for and all going well 5pm sat we will be level with them. 3-0 win and we'll even go ahead on GD!

Negativity on this site never fails to amaze me. Give up at the slightest sign of trouble. p**** cats not Lions.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:47

@MFC Lion: we last won at home in October, so no reason to be negative then. If you accept mediocrity you become mediocre and we are worse than that. We are a very poor side in the final third.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:12

@Lincolnshire Lion: yes we are a very poor side. I'm well aware of that, we have been for years.

Yet we are within touching distance of catching Rotherham and well above Wigan and Blackpool. This would suggest we are from being the sole rubbish team in this league.

So do I think a 3pt gap can be made up with 13 to play and the next game being against the team we are trying to catch?

Yeh I do actually, I don't give up as easily as some on here.

• February 26, 2015 at 16:27

@baz2262: I'm no fan of Holloway his tactics are terrible. Last 5 months I've been watching us, same as previous 10 seasons.

Where have you been?

Read what I have posted, we can still make up a 3 pt gap from 13 games. How's that dreaming? Hardly be the biggest shock in football.

I hope you don't go to games with your defeatist attitude I'm surprised you've not topped yourself.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:39

first half we looked very good, then came the second half. Gotta ask why woolford who is left footed plays on the right and GTF is right footed and plays on the left therefor they have to keep turning inside rather than hit the byline, same goes for Maggy he is left footed and plays on the right which is why we have no width

• February 26, 2015 at 10:48

G.T.F. performance on Saturday, proved just hoe inept all our other forwards are. he's first touch he plays in Gregory, who blasts over the bar, keeper does not have to make a save. And so it goes on, a first half of missed chances, by players that are basically not good enough at this level. I am not saying that they are easy to find, they cost big money. But they win you games, and that's what its all about. So carry on GTF , maybe you can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:48

The blokes obviously not short of confidence in his own ability, let's see!!! Him fabrinni and a few of the other newbies may take a couple of games b4 they turn things, I guess what's to lose, we hangin in by the fingernails, throw caution out the window and if these guys are more than just talk, the proof will be there for all to see.

• February 26, 2015 at 10:51

@grassgrower: Like Dunne's statement that 'it won't happen again' after another thrashing at home ?

• February 26, 2015 at 10:50

When i open the site and saw the headline.i thought great we've finally got in a striker..only to be let down when i open the article..but i suppose its to much to ask from a moron who only likes midfield players

• February 26, 2015 at 11:00

Seems Ollie's got a stay of execution then, with Boro and Norwich coming up soon ,there may be trouble a head,but while there's moonlight ,love ,and romance let ollie face the music and we all get 3 wins and dance .

• February 26, 2015 at 11:13

I thought gtf played ok tuesday, but unfortunately he's being managed by the worst manager on the planet coco the clown.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:17

We were in the game untill IH made another rubbish substitution,woolford was having a bad game so deserved to be subbed,so IH took a mid-fielder off brought a striker on ,which gave mid-field domination to them,so why if wooly was having a bad time didnt he bring on another mid-fielder ,like for like.
    IH substitutions are rubbish.its seems as though he is trying to pull of the master stroke all the time,but alas it rarely works out.
    Perhaps he should have given O'brien a piece of paper with written instuction's,so the team could have worked out what he wanted them to do.
    I am getting so dis-heartened with the way IH is running thing's,but i just hope i am wrong and he and the team can pull us out of this.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:14

@jim1222: The Main thing is that you are 'Back' jim1222. Nice to read your posts again. ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 26, 2015 at 12:38

@jim1222: Hello Jim, I think it's a bit of a catch 22 here. If we do manage to stay up Holloway stays for sure and we'll probably have yet another season of crap. IF we do get relegated there's always that chance he'll get sacked but then again, there's always that chance that he won't.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:39

we have had three seasons of out and out s***, in 40 years of following wall I've walked out of at least 15 games before 70 mins on the clock. we have been served up a pile of s.h.i.t.e. bring in the youth if we go down so be it. youth will take us forward

• February 26, 2015 at 11:46

O.K...I think its blatantly obvious that Holloways tenure has passed its sell by date....it hasnt gone the way we all thought it would an the man is obviously better with his gob than his tactical brain.....BUT.... wot is more obvious is that the players are literally petrified of playing in front of a baying mob at home every f u c k i n week who seem to be just waiting for things to go wrong....just look at the facts....we're better away from home and on Tuesday we were playing some great football until we went behind an the doom an gloom started...then all of a sudden the players panicked....they stopped playing with confidence and even the manager started making knee jerk reactions to desperately try an get us back in the game an appease the hate mob....im no longer an ollie fan but the simple truth is if we're gonna get out of this mess we HAVE to be more patient at home an not jump on the boys the moment we go behind....sure, we can moan about the lack of quality signings an ollies tactical ineptitude etc etc....but right now all the doom n gloom is sapping the life out of the players at home and is fast consigning us to league 1 football next season an none of us want that....so lets just try an grit our teeth an reserve our feelings of hatred towards Ollie until the summer cos he definitely aint going before then....if getting behind the boys however hard that may seem so they dont have to play in fear might just give em that little bit of confidence to nick a couple of wins at home which i believe could still see us get out of this....THEN we can start spitting blood once championship status has been secured an try an get Warburton in who's leaving Brentford in the summer....but he won't come here if we're in league 1.

• February 26, 2015 at 13:23

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: good post Hurlock,as you say we were playing some good football, untill he changed a mid-fielder for a forward,then our shape just went.even if O'brien had scored just before we went 1-0 down i dont think we would have been home and dry,as it seemed as though we surrendered the mid- field with the substitution he made.
      IH is so off the wall with his thinking and it just is not working,

• February 26, 2015 at 17:10

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: Great post mate, nail definitely hit on the head, a bit like what I'd like to do, to those negative f****** on here.

• February 26, 2015 at 11:48

gary please don't say silly things like this:

"But if we score the first goal in one of our other games we'll put three or four past someone"

We have not put 4 past anyone this season, managed to score 3 once against Wolves in a 3-3 draw and our 'biggest' win came in the first bloody game! A 2-0 thrashing of Leeds United.

Go out and win by all means but don't talk silly b*******, I fear it's some kind of virus that Ollie has spread to the entire squad!

• February 26, 2015 at 12:01

GTF has the balls to stand and be counted after Tuesday's horror show,well done for that!
    Then again don't want the Untouchable first teamers( we know who they are) talking there usual load of s***, that there gonna put it right!!!

• February 26, 2015 at 12:07

I'm a bit perplexed at the people having a go at players for being optimistic. Surely we want the players to be optimistic?! As fans, we all worry and I for one am fuming about the way the club has been run this season. But the players need to believe they can get themselves out of trouble. They shouldn't be professional footballers if they don't.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:16

most people on this site don't make any sense, it's like some people want us to lose all confidence and go down, if you hadn't noticed, Ollie is still here, and it doesn't look like he's going anyway anytime soon, so surely the only sensible idea is to get behind the team each week and actually support them during the match? it doesn't help the atmosphere at matches when people are hurling abuse at the players so it definitely can't help the players, we are all aware that we are in trouble, but there's lots of points to play for, and we are only 3 points behind Rotherham, it sounds like the players haven't given up, so why have the majority of fans?

• February 26, 2015 at 12:19

Was the headline there lone striker, or loan striker?

I wonder if his bigging up of himself as an honest dressing room speaker is because he is smelling a management opportunity, a bit like Big Mick's reason for joining Millwall.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:27

A couple of things firstly we appreciate him coming out and saying all the right things and trying to help your mate out its to be expected but as you can see from most of the posts on here we have had different players week in week out all season saying similar things and nothing has changed and I think most of the supporters are starting to be worn down by the constant disappointment .
    The first thing I saw GtF do on Saturday in a millwall shirt was an old fashion crunching tackle which made me warm to him straight away I here you had a half decent game on Tuesday and I can only hope goals will follow .
    But one thing I noticed he did look slightly over weight whilst warming up and before coming on against Fulham ,we have just dropped Maggie who I think is one of our most improved players at the minute for being over weight or does this rule not apply to loan players or mates ?

• February 26, 2015 at 12:47

I don't want to hear another word from any of the playing or non-playing staff this week! Do your talking on the pitch for a change - starting at Rotherham! We owe them!!!! COYL!!

• February 26, 2015 at 12:53

No offense to you mate but I am tired of hearing what might have been if! I wish you the best of form but please let's have less talk and more performance on the pitch.

• February 26, 2015 at 13:12

After every miserable performance one of the players is wheeled out to say that they are on the verge of being a good side, the goals will start coming as well as results etc. We have read this twaddle all season, it is done to deflect the criticism of Holloway, placate us the fans and raise false optimism. Whether we stay up or not it has been a disaster of a season so far, and Holloway, Ambler and co are responsible. It's not that just some of the team need clearing out so do the management. I was hoping that JB would have seen the light after Tuesday's result and given Holloway the boot, but nothing doing, either someone is kidding him up or Berylson has no idea. Holloway is not he future of Millwall.

• February 26, 2015 at 13:18

The players need to listen to Jos Fletcher and Tonge on the field.....their experience and class is what we need ignore Ollie and see where that gets .....The manager picks the side end of.....if Gregory misses many more chances he ll have to be rested.....250 grand but not up to it

• February 26, 2015 at 13:20

Hello Everbody, New to this site, so be gentle !!! As we all know, Massive game coming up on Saturday.
    If ever there was a Must NOT LOSE Game, this is it.
    I wonder how many changes Holloway will make the team again, for me thats a reason why the team is so inconsistant. No set team, No set formation, No clue it seems.

• February 26, 2015 at 14:30

@TheBermondseyBomber: Agreed TheBermondseyBomber,
        Best case scenario is we level with them on Points, I certainly dont fancy being 6 points adrift though.
        Whats your gut feeling on the outcome ???

• February 26, 2015 at 14:41

@Lions@Heart: I really don't know anymore mate - thought we'd get a positive result on Tuesday but it seems Plan A doesnt work neither does Plan B!! This going 3 at the back to chase a game has to stop though!

• February 27, 2015 at 09:40

@TheBermondseyBomber: Once again i agree BermondseyBomber, seems everytime we go behind, he panics and changes formation. that inturn unsettles the team even more, and before you know it they fall to pieces. Even though it's my nature to be a negative thinker........ I'm edging towards 1-0 Millwall. Love to avenge the horror 6-0 thrashing they gave us many years ago, we owe them for that one, but i won't be too greedy. Fingers crossed ah.... COYL.

• February 26, 2015 at 13:29

Surely it can only be the money (contract pay off) stopping JB from giving Ollie the tin tack. However if we win at R'ham on Saturday then we can start to dream of staying up with or without IH. If we lose then relegation becomes a cert. NOLU

• February 26, 2015 at 13:42

You can stop talking s*** as well been getting notes off your m8 IH your fat can't run fit in to IH plans then if you keep us up I eat my hat but if you do you can still go with that so called manger we have been a year and bit and still can't find someone to put the ball in the net

• February 26, 2015 at 14:33

For all the talk, the vision, the off field improvements the better scouting network, the high salary the long contract, this weekend must surely be the last straw, if we lose and that relegation gap opens the board MUST say goodbye.
    I have always thought to give him the benefit of the doubt and let his team come together, I was prepared to wait out the season and see what he could do when the out of contract players left and he brought in his own players, then see what the summer months bring, another trip to Portugal, a decent pre- season and then a few months from august to October to assess.
    Well they move that operation forward to this January and instead of having 3 months to scout and monitor and negotiate, they have hit the panic button and bought a load of old toot.
    Therefore I too am going bring my time scale forward and judge him now with his players, playing his way. and its time to go. even if we stay up he can go, he overcomplicated everything, he thinks he is an innovative manager who is a tactical genius and I honestly think he just got lucky with both blackpool and palace.
    Yes they did play good attacking football but neither team won the league, they both just about managed to scrape through the play off's.

• February 26, 2015 at 16:15

442 is what is needed but we have not got the pace to get to the byline to cross for two strikers thats why he plays this one up top and three behind the striker, it aint worked all season yet he still plays it. Archer, jimmy, Beevers, Hoover, Harding, Martin,williams,Fab with Gregory and GFT up front

• February 26, 2015 at 17:19

Why does GTF put a post on here saying hes up to helping the cause and wants to play a big part in it/our survival when the P R A T T knows and is unlikely to play come Saturday due to injury another wage thief

• February 26, 2015 at 17:23

before anyone jumps on my previous post i know GTF hasnt posted on here but a release to NAD states the above

• February 26, 2015 at 17:28

Rumour has it that pantomine season has started early where pretending to be Barcelona

• February 26, 2015 at 17:40

f*** mine, are you joking or what as we couldn't score in a knocking shop atm and I won't be putting my on it!

• February 26, 2015 at 17:41

f*** mine, are you joking or what as we couldn't score in a knocking shop atm and I won't be putting my house on it!