Millwall manager: Formation change backfired against Owls

IAN Holloway admitted Millwall "did not respond well" to a change of formation in last night's 3-1 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday.

Holloway switched to three at the back in an attempt to get his side back into the game but the Lions got progressively worse after the change.

"The information that I wanted to give to the players didn't get out there," said the Lions boss. "It is my fault, I shouldn't have changed it.

"They weren't ready for that but you've got to roll the dice. We've done it earlier on in the season and come back and managed to score.

"Ricardo Fuller was one who got two goals coming off the bench against Wolves but unfortunately that didn't happen again.

"We didn't respond well to the change of shape and I will hold my hands up for that.

"I changed the shape of the team – because we weretwo down – to try and go from back to front a lot earlier and put them under pressure, but then it was awful."

Millwall missed a hatful of chances before Lewis McGugan opened the scoring for the visitors.

"When we let a goal in we don't look the same team, so we've got to get stronger than that," added Holloway.

"Every time we let in a goal here it instantly feels like doom and gloom. We have to be better than that for our supporters.

"At the end of the day you make your own luck in football. People stopped doing the right things after they scored, and their second goal came far too quickly after the first.

"Like I've said before we look a very good side when we get the first goal in games, but for some reason it just hasn't happened for us at The Den recently.

"We have had two or three really good chances but couldn't get that all-important first goal, which can be so key in the Championship.

"We have to bounce straight back at Rotherham on Saturday. Our away form has been good so we have to continue that."

Millwall were booed off at full-time and Holloway said he accepted the reaction of the crowd after another home defeat.

"I can understand the crowds' reaction," he said. "But for me a huge part of that game, apart from scoring, was as good as we've been.

"I'm sure their manager will be very, very pleased with that score and he will be rubbing his hands on the way back up the motorway thinking how on earth did that end up like that."

Martyn Woolford (bruised ribs) and Stefan Maierhofer (tight quad) are being assessed by the Lions' medical staff.

132 thoughts on “Millwall manager: Formation change backfired against Owls

• February 25, 2015 at 12:00

thats not an up to date comment...he said that last night.....I still think hes going today....

• February 25, 2015 at 12:15

@SE17 Lion: This can't go on any longer - I've been expecting an announcement all morning. We're going down as it stands, so even if there’s no-one else lined up we might as well put Harris and Co in charge until the end of the season. At the very least it might get the fans behind the team again and help rejuvenate some of the players.

• February 25, 2015 at 12:39

@Micky Lions: totally agree Micky. Harris isn't a long term fix by any means but I think he would put pride and passion back into the squad, and give them a kicking if they don't respond. I'd rather go down fighting than go meek and mild with IH at the helm talking like the presenter on bullseye, "here's what we could've won"

• February 25, 2015 at 12:20

@SE17 Lion: only thing that wants changing is that management

• February 25, 2015 at 12:02

We've been hearing the same b******* for over a year Ollie! Nothing has changed time to go.

• February 25, 2015 at 12:41

@steveomfc5: Fully agree with your sentiment, but at this late stage of the season and in our position in the league and with how tight money is at our club, the only takers would be more of the same as this and the previous manager.
      I hate to say it but if Saturday goes the way of last night then we are gone, so as soon as we know we could be down then's the time to pull the trigger, if JB can afford to pay him off as he has f**** as of both ways on the pitch and on the money side aswell.
      This will hopefully enable who ever comes in to clear out the dross and set about putting there own team together and so starts the 5 yearly cycle of Millwall going between the first & Championship, but if he is kept on I will be seriously think about not renewing my season ticket.

• February 25, 2015 at 15:35

He needs to be sacked while there is still time to save us!

Anyone who can play a sensible formation with players in their correct positions has a pretty decent chance of saving us I feel.

Might be too late if JB decided after Rotheham that enough was enough with the gap up to 6 pts if we lose.

Reality has to be accepted that even if we win, this team is not destined for anything positive under Holloway. Why wait until we're league 1? Might even see some fans come back for the remainder of the season with a new man in charge.

• February 25, 2015 at 21:47

@Barnlion: accept your points but question:

seriously, what five yearly cycle would that be?

• February 26, 2015 at 08:10

@bonnie1272: As I said going between the first (division) & the Championship which seems to happen on average every 5 years.

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.