Report: Millwall 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday

MILLWALL conceded three goals to the Championship's lowest scorers on yet another desperate evening at The Den.

The game followed an all-too-familiar pattern for Lions fans as their side spurned four clear-cut chances before Lewis McGugan put Sheffield Wednesday in front.

Going behind prompted a shattering loss of confidence in the Millwall ranks and they got progressively worse over the course of the second half.

They were sliced open by a slick passing move for the Owls' second goal, which was converted by Atdhe Nuhiu, before Stevie May made it 3-0.

Diego Fabbrini scored a consolation in stoppage time but the Lions were booed off after yet another home defeat – their ninth of the season.

It has been four months since their last victory at The Den and with high-flying Norwich the next visitors to SE16, things could get worse before they get better.

On Saturday, Millwall travel to fellow strugglers Rotherham in a huge relegation six-pointer.

Victory would see the Lions draw level on points with the Millers, who lost to Watford on Tuesday, while defeat would leave them six points adrift of safety.

But after losing another game they could have won, time is running out for Ian Holloway's side to turn their season around and preserve the club's Championship status.

Holloway made just one change to the side that started against Fulham at the weekend, with loanee Gary Taylor-Fletcher included in the line-up for the first time.

Magaye Gueye, who had been dropped from the squad for being overweight, returned to the bench after Stefan Maierhofer was forced to pull out with an injury.

Millwall went close to taking an early lead when Gregory played a one-two with Taylor-Fletcher before blazing over.

Michael Tonge failed to hit the target with a 25-yard free kick before Wednesday left back Claude Dielna hammered a long-range effort high and wide of David Forde's goal.

Forde made his first save of the evening in the tenth minute when he showed safe hands to claim McGugan's well-struck free kick, which bounced awkwardly just in front of Irish stopper.

The Lions should have taken the lead in the 22nd minute but they were denied by a combination of excellent goalkeeping and last-ditch defending.

Fabbrini started the move with a clever through pass to Gregory, whose low effort was pushed back out into the penalty area by Chris Kirkland.

Taylor-Fletcher stuck out a leg to divert the loose ball back towards goal, only for Tom Lees to hack it clear at the last second, before Dan Harding's follow-up effort was also blocked.

Moments later, Martyn Woolford jinked past Dielna before crossing low for Taylor-Fletcher, whose instinctive back-heel whistled the wrong side of the post and into the side netting.

Taylor-Fletcher was at the heart of every Millwall attack and he shot narrowly wide in the 27th minute, hooking a bouncing ball a yard beyond the far corner.

Having survived a spell of pressure, the Owls worked their way back into the game and almost hit the hosts with a sucker punch when Will Keane fired over from 12 yards with the goal gaping.

Kirkland tipped a deflection over his bar and Forde palmed away another Dielna sighter as both keepers were tested in the closing stages of the half, which finished goalless.

Another golden chance fell Millwall's way in the opening minutes of the second period but again they failed to put the ball in the back of the net.

Gregory got in behind the Wednesday defence before crossing for substitute Aiden O'Brien, who was denied by a last-ditch tackle, and then Kirkland punched the rebound away from Shaun Williams.

And in the same passage of play, the visitors broke forward to the edge of the box before McGugan skipped past a challenge and drilled into the bottom corner.

In response to the goal, Holloway switched to three at the back but Millwall's reaction was limited to tame efforts from Alan Dunne and O'Brien.

And it was no surprise when Nuhiu made it 2-0 in the 72nd minute, calmly finishing off an incisive move down the Lions' right-hand side.

After sub Stevie May fired a third goal between Forde's legs, Fabbrini pulled one back with a well-taken strike at the far post but the outcome of the match had long since been determined.

Alex Aldridge


122 thoughts on “Report: Millwall 1-3 Sheffield Wednesday

  • February 24, 2015 at 22:17

    Us or Rotherham in league 1 next season. If Ollie stays its us.

    Like (59)
    Dislike (9)
    • February 24, 2015 at 22:38

      @WestKentLion: a shambles tonight and all after being told we looked solid on Saturday! What planet are people on, sort it out stop the excuses and get a win on Saturday! ⚽️

      Like (13)
      Dislike (4)
      • February 25, 2015 at 10:24

        @TURBO_COYL: Another comedian

        Like (0)
        Dislike (0)
  • February 24, 2015 at 22:17

    Come on lads lets get ourselves up for another big performance at rotherham ! " nurse , i need some help please "

    Like (16)
    Dislike (2)
    • February 25, 2015 at 10:37

      @thecolumbusblock: Wheres the another come from have you been watching Millwall ?

      Like (3)
      Dislike (0)

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.