Millwall boss eyes Fulham victory for fans and chairman

IAN Holloway admits it is about time Millwall fans saw their side win at home.

The Lions, who host Fulham in a London derby tomorrow, have not taken three points at The Den since beating Cardiff City way back in October.

Holloway is desperate to end that poor run for the sake of the club's supporters as well as chairman John Berylson, who is over from Boston for the next five days.

"Our fans deserve to see us attack teams with aggressive running and crosses into the box," he said.

"Hopefully we can score and if we can get that first goal I believe they'll all be with us and the atmosphere will be great.

"I really want us to win in front of our fans. I need them to be positive but it's very difficult when you've not seen your team win at home for a while.

"It's about time we set about someone at The Den and imposed our game on the away team.

"It should be an exciting game and I want to come out on top. To do that, we'll have to hurt Fulham's back four.

"The chairman deserves to see a win as well. He'll be seeing the next two games and hopefully the results we pick up will get us moving in the right direction again.

"I believe we've started to move that way.

"We've got to deal with whatever is thrown at us – like Shaun Cummings' injury – in a positive fashion.

"We need to feel positive about ourselves. The fans and the players need to come to the ground on Saturday believing we can win."

The Lions are a point off safety after defeat to Leeds last weekend.

"We weren't bad at all, Leeds are quite a good team and we lost by the odd goal," Holloway added.

"I don't think we look like conceding loads of goals any more and we have to keep building on that.

"We've got 15 games to get one point more than one of the other teams down there – probably two points because our goal difference isn't as good – and that's the challenge.

"I'm really looking forward to it and I'm totally optimistic because our recent performances are making me believe."

Fulham arrive in SE16 after three defeats in their last four and are just five points above Millwall in the table.

"They have got a hangover that comes with being an ex-Premier League team," Holloway added.

"Their new manager is trying to sort out the balance of his squad in terms of who's staying, who's going and the young ones coming through.

"He's going to have his work cut out like all managers do in this division and their expectation is massive. Whatever Kit Symons does, good luck to him – but not this weekend."

29 thoughts on “Millwall boss eyes Fulham victory for fans and chairman

• February 20, 2015 at 16:22

We hear this before every home game, sooner or later it might just happen.

• February 20, 2015 at 16:30

@harry2310: its funney i've just read the same article in the SLP.only it was gibbs saying this...

• February 20, 2015 at 16:27

We seem too turn up for the derbies, so hopefully a decent crowd will spur the boys on!
    We all want and need a home win to get us away from the relegation zone, some big 6 pointers coming up so let's start with a win tomoz. COYL !

• February 20, 2015 at 16:31

Please please Ollie a win tomorrow, I am bringing my nephew and his eight year old lad who have never been to a match before but over the last year the little 'un' has become football mad. He lives in Peterborough and when I asked who he supports said "no one but I like Hull who have a tiger on their shirt". I asked him if he liked Lions and he said "yes" so the following week he was equipped with a training kit and away shirt. A win and a lot of noise and I think we may have him for life, and I do not feel the least bit guilty about putting him on the up's and down's of the football path that is Millwall.

• February 20, 2015 at 16:56

@lennie the lion: started to notice a few lions now living in and around peterborough might be our 2nd breeding ground ....

• February 21, 2015 at 11:48

@peterboroughlion: I live in Luton now and there are quite a few of us up here. I think they are the ones who missed the train back in 85 when we helped decorate the ground lol

• February 20, 2015 at 17:02

@lennie the lion: Twice this season I have persuaded "New" faces to come to the Den in the hope they would get bitten by the bug, but on both occasions we played S**t and the atmosphere wasn't much better. Both said I thought the Den was something different. When I first started going as a kid, I thought all football grounds would be like the den, but it wasn't until I was old enough to start going to away games that I realised that the Den was special and no ground had the same atmosphere. We need to carry on bringing new faces, but it is about time the team did their bit, to help recreate the den as a place no one like to play at. I do not like the digs Holloway has at the fans, like " The fans need to come on Saturday believing we can win" I go to every single game believing we can win only to be let down week after week, but I will still will come.

• February 20, 2015 at 17:41

@rikkiatwall: I got 10 of us down there for the kick start of my stag do against Huddersfield, 2 Liverpool fans, 2 Chelsea Fans, an anorak, a Boro fan and 2 floaters and me and my nephew (wall).
        hopefully the 2 floaters will come again, and my nephew has got the bug again.

• February 21, 2015 at 11:45

@brooker: all my kids are wall, and we've converted 1 QPR, 2 arsenal and a Luton supporter. It wasn't the football that did it, it was the supporters and the passion we show in the ground. People put down our supporters but it's good to know some look up to us. Fingers crossed for today, I'm taking my step son to his first millwall match, so I'm hoping to bring another into the brotherhood

• February 20, 2015 at 18:16

@lennie the lion: Hi Lennie, that's great to hear your nephews going to the den as a lot of young ones don't want to support teams outside the premier league, I take my son to millwall away games and he loves the buzz and atmosphere he's 14, we would love to go to the den,but travel,cost,parking,could be a issue.would be good to catch up with some of you on a away day for a pint or two and a chat!!

• February 20, 2015 at 19:20

@midlands lion: Nice post Midlands, I don't know how anyone can dislike it but that's life I suppose.

• February 20, 2015 at 19:37

@Sealion: cheers sealion, obviously them who disliked the post won't want a pint with me then, lol

• February 20, 2015 at 16:49

Got my ticket like allways so yes we what to see as win have that Saturday feeling off being happy knowing you got 3 POINTS we all missing that IH but I still come as I have to you got to be here for the good times and the bad

• February 20, 2015 at 16:56

bit worried about your maths there Ollie, "We've got 15 games to get one point more than one of the other teams down there – probably two points because our goal difference isn't as good – and that's the challenge" If we have one more point than them, why would our goal difference matter?

• February 20, 2015 at 16:59

No Adsy,cruelty would be letting him support Hull or the Posh and good to let him know his roots are South London. By coincidence his name is Oliver or 'Ollie' if we are getting beat I must explain to him that if there are any "Ollie out chants" he does not have to leave. It also means that if we do win I get a new superstition and I will have to bring him to all the games.

• February 20, 2015 at 17:01

Call me crazy, but this is the team I would play.. Im curious...

Forde
    Dunne Williams Hoov Harding
    Tonge
    Martin Woolford
    Fabbrini
    O'brien Gregory

• February 20, 2015 at 17:02

@keamers: Martin and Woolford out wide. Fabbrini infront. Tonge holding.

• February 20, 2015 at 17:20

Try something new.... Or stick to the same team that loose consistently?

• February 20, 2015 at 17:40

That's a good selection of Players Keamers, but that Gregory selection is one that lots on here put on, but ' Ollie ' must know something about him, cause he's always on the Bench, and when he does eventually get on does NOT score, sadly ! ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 20, 2015 at 17:43

@BUSHWACKER14: Very true, although I wouldn't be sure on who to partner O'brien up top? Maybe start O'brien & Fuller and bring on either Hoff or Gregory in the later stages?

• February 20, 2015 at 18:00

Good to see that our 'recent performances are making' Holloway 'believe'. Numpty.

• February 20, 2015 at 18:17

Forde (c)
    Abdou Hooveild Beevers Harding
    Tonge Williams
    O'Brien Fabrini Woolford
    Fuller

• February 20, 2015 at 19:07

Being a mature supporter, I would like to say that not winning at home since October is a F****** disgrace, hopefully all the s**** have gone and we can survive this season and get some of the millions those greedy b******* in the Premiership get

• February 20, 2015 at 21:08

You guys are naming your teams..........

I think he will put the new fellow in up front straight away and you guys seem to have not put him your team...???

Would be crazy to sigh a new forward (striker / winger) or where ever he is going to pay.....and not play him the first week he is here.....

C'mon Olli, surprise us all including the Chelsea wonabees that we are playing this weekend and play with more then 1 forward. Im not going to name a team as I don't get to see many games but if we have now got some strikers that can play behind the front 2 and out wide then we should have these players linking up.... Get an attacking formation out there. If we have this new guy (don't know too much about him) Fabrinni together and have Gregory Plus 1 other striker up front then we have 4 players who are looking at going forward.........

I know there will be dislike's but if you don't have a team that can score goals we will always come up short..... doesn't it matter if we leak a goal here or there if we are scoring 2 or 3 or could I be as bold to say 4 goals a game......

We are down the bottom anyway....so get the players playing like their lives depend on it....because lets face it, if we go down to lge 1 then their lives probably do....

Bring back fred....saw a hightlights real of his last few games and he looks sharp. give him a go now in championship or he will leave us for bigger and better things. Heard he maybe on a few clubs watching list already. Get him back and get him scoring for us and not other clubs. We must have some other young strikers in our teams....why have we not pushed any of them to break into the 1st team. I see other clubs play 16 / 17 / 18 year olds in their 1st team so why don't we....??? Just asking.....can people let me know what talent we have down in the under 21's under 18's etc etc

• February 20, 2015 at 21:49

@Kiwimillwall: fair point but can't see gtf starting straight away. Might start on Tuesday depending on result tomorrow. 4-6 decent prospects and all are around 1st team already, Nelson(Centre Back.Future captain same mould as Darren Ward but bit lightweight at mo but got a ping), Goodman(Centre Back.on loan at Wimbledon same mould as Paul Robinson), Jake Powell(Centre Mid.Decent baller, if he was at Ipswich, Reading or Derby would be worth a mill already), Fred Onyedinma(Winger.Decent but scored a few on loan at Wycombe so a lot of fans biggin him up already and might not be able to handle it), O'Brien(Winger/Striker.Could be another Marquis but does have a better scoring record at youth level?) One or Two others and in my bros opinion best bunch since Cahill, Reid, Iffil and co

• February 20, 2015 at 22:54

IH same old same old, he talks some s..t
    COYL

• February 20, 2015 at 23:48

Another defeat. Another shocking match official in charge & another chance for Holloway to tell us we really are a good side despite losing again.