January overhaul has diffused tension at Millwall – Dunne

THE overhaul of Millwall's squad during the January transfer window has diffused "tension" at the club, captain Alan Dunne has revealed.

Dunne believes the Lions are better-placed to avoid relegation after Ian Holloway made significant changes to his playing staff.

The Millwall manager also sat down with each out-of-contract player to inform them whether they were in his plans for the future or were free to depart.

And Dunne feels those clear-the-air discussions have lifted the mood in the dressing room.

Holloway's January cull, which was prompted by the Lions' embarrassing FA Cup thrashing at Bradford, saw eight players leave The Den.

"Bradford was a poor night and a disappointing result," Dunne told the News. "Since then the manager has made some big decisions and the chairman has brought forward the club’s plans for the summer.

"Players know their futures now and since then there hasn’t been as much tension around the place because everyone knows where they stand.

"You could say that’s helped and the spirit is definitely better. The new faces coming in have freshened things up and brought something different to the table. We look a lot better for it."

Dunne, whose contract at Millwall expires in the summer, was among the players called into Holloway's office for a chat.

That happened just days after he played in the 4-0 defeat at Bradford.

"I’m a big part of Millwall and the team needs me. When players needed to stand up and be counted last year, when times were tough, I stepped to the plate.

"The manager needs players like that. So seeing the manager wasn’t about my future, it was more about how I could help him pick up results, and quickly.

"My future will always sort itself out if I’m playing well so the conversation wasn’t really about my contract.

"It is nerve-racking going up to any manager’s office but I know what I’m capable of."

36 thoughts on “January overhaul has diffused tension at Millwall – Dunne

• February 19, 2015 at 13:04

@beethoven5: Yep, that's what he and all the others need to do Beethoven5, the we' ll hear the. 'MUSIC' ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 19, 2015 at 12:50

Only ne thing to do now every player to give 110% and starting winning even if it,s 1-0 but predict 2-0 win over Fulham

• February 19, 2015 at 13:08

Who the f*** he is talking about, Tin Cahill cos he surely don't mean him self does he, mind you he can watch himself like we do, I am skipper so I am ok, Play as well as you think you are playing and we might get out of the s*** we are in.

• February 19, 2015 at 13:09

The Team needs you, you are so far up your own a*** it's not true.

No we dont need you, we need a proper centre half but then again you can do no wrong in the eyes of coco so maybe you believe the hype.

We need someone with steel and passion at the back like shittu, against cardiff he was on it whilst you were in the studio with your head down not making eye contact with the presenters.

im over dunney is so committed nonsense, commitment does not make up for your defensive frailties put shittu or beevers in on saturday.

• February 19, 2015 at 13:09

Should be Tim, but its a bit like Dunney if I could spell better I could be an author??

• February 19, 2015 at 13:34

Alan youre a good bloke but you aint good enough for the team......the team dont need you at all in fact our defenders probably s*** theirselves every time the ball gets near you / Div 2 is your place...sorry mate but the truth hurts sometimes

• February 19, 2015 at 13:37

One of the reason's I left the club other than getting the tin tac was that the wife kept complaining about that head that was always up my A*** the only way to get rid of it was change jobs.

• February 19, 2015 at 14:44

@lomas a ledgend: I'm still a Fan of your 'oh Ginger - One' not for your football knowledge, but the Fun comments you post on here! LOL . ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 19, 2015 at 15:53

@BUSHWACKER14: Thanks for that Bush, but my hair is no longer ginger its now grey thinking about how I lost my job and now a real clown is doing it, but as I am over 30 I might get my boots out and see if can get a contract to the end of the season at the Den.
        It will bring the average age of the squad down by a couple of years and I did play in the prem unlike most of the players there now.

• February 19, 2015 at 14:00

Do you lot go to games ? ^ been the last few? Birmingham away? Forest away? Leeds? f****** mongs

• February 19, 2015 at 15:14

@Tayls:

Yep and he rarely plays well but somehow stays in the team whilst better players sit on the bench. He has no presence at the back and positioning is awful, he is too short at 5ft10 to match up so the only thing he can mark at set pieces is the corner flag. At right back he is past it at best but at this level at centre back he is just not good enough regardless of how long he has been here, we would have been better off keeping Robbo and letting Dunne go.

• February 19, 2015 at 15:22

@Jimmy Abdous Hip: He actually played better than hooiveld last game. Saved us 3 times. Bet you went there though. He's good enough for this level. When you have no confidence you ain't going to play well are you just like the rest of the team. Good enough for this league in centre half. Don't do anything wrong

• February 19, 2015 at 16:44

"January overhaul has diffused tension at Millwall – Dunne"

Not in the fooking stands it hasn't. We all still arrive with a sense of uncertainty. Stop talking this sh7te and create some consistency and have complete faith and chemistry. The fundamental basics of any team in any job!!
    Jog on son and stop the mugging!

• February 19, 2015 at 16:56

Deluded! Team needs me, my a***......
    Team still in need of an overhaul, starting from Coco downwards...

• February 19, 2015 at 17:07

Ok so Dunne has highlighted 'tension' being lifted due to players knowing whats going on with contracts/futures etc how f****** laughable! The last 3 years we have been facing relegation and without doubt one of the worst teams to grace the championship in this era (by that I mean how the quality of football has advanced and bigger players are now in this league), results don't lie and nor does a league table. Just for the record I'm not an anti-holloway but its a fundamental basic of management is to realise that if your team is happy, results will come, so why does MFC feel it was acceptable to leave all this till the summer? This should of all been sorted in July 2014, I really like JB tbh and think he could of gone years ago but something tells me theres more to it than just Holloway and the team playing s***, when was the last time Millwall actually invested significantly in the team? Anyway... sorry for the rant but this whole article is a contradiction and just reeks of b*******.

• February 19, 2015 at 17:17

Cant believe what an over inflated opinion he has of himself the team needs him please only a complete d*** head would say something like that , firstly as ive said in previous posts you should have been shown the door a few seasons back ive always like you as a player and you have been a great servant to our club but now your a division 1 player ( at best ) im also pretty sure if just one club would have been in for you then you would have been long gone .
    THANKS FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR US NOW DO ONE AS YOUR A BIG PART OF THE PROBLEM

• February 19, 2015 at 17:55

We've seen off two centre already (Webster and Robinson) and probably two to go at the end of the season (Beevers and Shittu) and this bloke thinks because of that he is a shoe in for a new contract. Think again, Dunney. You are an average right back and an average centre half. All the admirable commitment you have shown should not deliver a new contract. We can and should be able to get players than this. If not, then we know why we have struggled for the last few years.

• February 19, 2015 at 22:09

@junkmale: A sensible post, Dunney is an average player but all this League One/Two player nonsense is bulls*it. He's been in this division for years and keeps getting back in the team, now at centre-half. He hasn't done a lot wrong recently from what I've seen but the point is that he's average and we should've bought a decent centre-half instead of giving Shittu a two year contract. Holloway has failed to put this right, Webster! Nelson looked well out of his depth vs Ipswich and we can't afford Hooiveld so as arrogant as Dunne sounds he is probably right that the team needs him. A sad state of affairs.

• February 19, 2015 at 18:43

"I’m a big part of Millwall and the team needs me", "I know what I’m capable of.". Well, full marks for confidence, but he is deluded, and after 20 years, I wish I knew what he was capable of, apart from poor tackles, bad control, lack of vision, no positional sense, I could go on.......

• February 19, 2015 at 20:54

What a load of b*******; Webster back to Yeovil, Tara Palmer Tomkinson in. chris eagles to the anoraks, Dunne, indespensable; We are in the s***; We might escape relegation because of the amount of teams around us who are also in disarray, but all you olly fans; really?

• February 19, 2015 at 21:00

“I wouldn’t say I was worried about it," he added. "I know what I can offer and what I bring to the club. Any chance we can see it before the end the season? And try not to f*** up on Saturday eh!

• February 19, 2015 at 22:49

Bad bad mongs can't help but just laugh at these comments. At least have half an idea about football

• February 19, 2015 at 23:35

Yeah, you mongs, bad bad mongs! ????

• February 20, 2015 at 01:55

Stop talking bollo*** Dunne. If anything it will only serve to highlight it more. The core issues have not been addressed - Holloway out!

• February 20, 2015 at 02:02

Cant belive people slagging Dunne off on here..the fella is wall through and through...may not be the best player we have had but neither was rhino...but every wall team needs 2 or 3 of these type of players...and he is are top scorer in the currant squad (sad but true).

• February 20, 2015 at 02:10

@Hayeswall: Who's slagging off Dunne? I'm telling it how it is. All the while Holloway is in charge there will be tension. Just look at the ins & outs. His work not mine, not any other wall fan. Dunne is a loyal servant but he is not capable of delivering the goods at this level. League 1 at best.

• February 20, 2015 at 08:23

@Hayeswall: Here lies the problem, we are happy to expect a wall player, when we should be demanding far better players at our club to improve the standard of the team.
      Then we could move up the table and also maybe draw more of the fans who have lost interest or moved away and could not be bothered to make the trip to watch is being served up at the moment.

• February 20, 2015 at 08:44

@lomas a ledgend: Totally agree with that. Fed up with the 'he's wall' comments. If we had 11 players running around kicking people but not being able to pass would we be happy, well some might be, but not the majority. Shame Cummings is injured because we are stuck with Dunne for the long term, RB or CB, which sums this team up at the moment.