Chaplow to train with Ipswich ahead of surprise loan move

RICHARD Chaplow could join promotion-chasing Ipswich Town this week after being invited to train with Mick McCarthy's squad.

Chaplow, whose contract at Millwall expires in the summer, has been told that he will not be offered an extension and is free to leave.

The midfielder will spend the next few days at the Tractor Boys' base at Playford Road with a view to joining on loan before the weekend.

The 30-year-old has made ten appearances for the Lions this season, the last of which came in the 4-0 FA Cup replay defeat to Bradford in January.

30 thoughts on “Chaplow to train with Ipswich ahead of surprise loan move

• February 16, 2015 at 15:01

good player made to look bad by Ollie.....watch him play well for Ipswich in his best position

• February 16, 2015 at 15:18

@SE17 Lion: another lomas signing out, good luck chaps, onwards and upwards !!

• February 16, 2015 at 20:17

@TONY BLOCK28: He first came in under Kenny, and when Lomas signed him up most of us on here thought it was a great signing. He has been injury prone, but surely if we can get him back between now and May he'd be better than most of the recent signings.

• February 16, 2015 at 15:49

@SE17 Lion: I can't remember him being played out of position..?
      But I do remember him being injured for long periods....
      He probably will play better in a team that are in form and at the top of the league.... When he's fit of course...
      IMO this is what needs to be done now - moving on players that haven't been consistent, or who aren't in the managers plans - to get the funds together to buy or loan a striker... Still 1 or 2 more that might/should be moving on...
      Question marks over a few other players that haven't been seen for a while....

• February 16, 2015 at 16:05

@Luke ColdBlow10: I agree, injuries were his biggest problem, he is undoubtedly a technically gifted player but just couldn't seem to put in the performances we know he is capable of. Not sure if you blame the player or the manager for that.

• February 16, 2015 at 19:09

@glyngo: to be honest Glyngo, I don't know who is to blame, or if there is any blame at all. I genuinely can't remember a particular game where he was played out of position.. If he WAS played out of position you've got to take into account what is going on in the squad at the time, injuries, suspensions etc. From my memory of Chaplow I thought the majority of the time, he played well. He'd have a good couple of games - but then we'd find out he's picked up a knock again.. Do you think he was played out of position Glyngo?? Sometimes the finer details of all these matches become a bit of a blur!

• February 16, 2015 at 19:24

@SE6: Shittu was 1 of the names that came to mind, think his knees might finally be telling him to quit.. Which is a shame IMO.
          Hoyte is an obvious one - didn't really want put his name alongside Chaplow out of respect for Chaplow!
          Others could be - Carlos and Bailey (unfortunately)..

• February 17, 2015 at 13:04

@Lincolnshire Lion: midfield with 3 other midfielders doing their jobs without being chopped and changed weekly by a stupid clown of a manager

• February 16, 2015 at 15:24

I guess his free up of wages will mean Pennant is coming, but where is the STRIKER OLLIE!!

• February 16, 2015 at 15:51

Typical Ipswich! Getting players from lower teams because they need players so they will do anything to get many players as they can!

• February 16, 2015 at 15:59

On the topic of Hoyte, how is it we can sign somebody on a 2 year deal who cannot even make the bench except once (if I recall correctly)? Did we not scout him before deciding to invest? I know there are no guarantees but considering the issues we've had at right back this season it seems absolutely crazy that a signing on a two year deal still cannot make the bench. Did he change that much from when he was scouted to when he was signed?

• February 16, 2015 at 16:02

I saw him play at dartford in pre season and I was baffled as to who he was I genuinely had no idea so ship him out to dartford or welling etc that's his standard at a push.

• February 16, 2015 at 16:46

So Chaplow - yes a few injuries - but could not get into our side - the side really struggling to avoid the drop, but he now seems likely to move to Ipswich - a side really pushing for promotion to the Premiership.
    Worse than Angel - I think not
    With regard to the earlier posting - moving out all the players who have been inconsistant - who will be left.

• February 16, 2015 at 16:57

Do you think the Ipswich fan site is now saying 'what is Mick doing getting in a 30 year old injury prone player'? just like we would do if the roles were reversed. I think the performance at Bradford was the turning point for a lot of players this season, we have all been saying it is revolution not evolution that was needed and that is what Ollie is doing. I thought Chaplow always looked a good player bit like Trotter (what has happen to him?) but not someone I would get upset about losing. I would prefer to keep Woolford given a choice. On the Bradford point the 3-3 at our place when they got a lucky goal OG seems almost a good result now!

• February 16, 2015 at 17:05

Chaplow's s time here has been terrible for the club.
    Big wages. always injured and I cannot remember him contributing anything. I would like to see him leave personally.

• February 16, 2015 at 18:19

Good luck chappers hope it works out better at the tractor boys than it has here.

• February 16, 2015 at 18:23

Bailey ( remember him?) has just completed 45 mins playing for the U21's, Chopper full of praise and holloways talisman could be back soon!!!!! it worked for the last 8 games last season !!

• February 16, 2015 at 18:27

I think if he was fit for longer than one or two games at a time he may have been a decent player for us but just like a few other players we have invested in it turned out to be a complete waste of money .
    and its sods law he will now be injury free for the the next 20 or so games .....happy days

• February 16, 2015 at 18:37

I think chaplow was / ls good player but like so many of ours lost his way injuries ect bet he leaves does well like others, which will p*** us all off, what is it at Millwall so frustrating .

• February 16, 2015 at 19:00

I think I H plan is to get us relegated and bring back in Fred and Marquis who are both scoring in the lower leagues lined up with Gregory , no intention of bringing in a recognised striker we are running out of games
    Just hope that what he and JB think there saving now in the long term will justify us being in the doldrums for the normal 4/5 seasons it takes to mount a promotion back to the championship
    that's a lot of low, low gates ,where that billionaire guy we need him now

• February 17, 2015 at 08:23

@southstand: I would hope that's not a plan because like a few of my mates I would hate to drop of this mortal coil which could happen it the next 5 years with us in league 1, But he still has just about enough games to keep us up.
      Saturdays game being one and Brighton lose then we have Sheff Wed on the Tuesday so we could at last be clear of the bottom 3 (lets all hope so)

• February 16, 2015 at 22:10

We never got the best from chaplow shame but the right move just doesn't seem hungry enough !