Millwall boss: Performance against Leeds warranted a point

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway was left to rue missed chances after Millwall were beaten 1-0 by Leeds United at Elland Road.

The Lions fell behind to Alex Mowatt's deflected free kick but Martyn Woolford and Ricardo Fuller both went close to levelling during an improved second-half showing.

One goal proved enough for the hosts, however, as Leeds moved eight points clear of third-bottom Millwall in the Championship table.

Holloway said: "I'm bitterly disappointed that we didn't take one or two of the chances that we created and I suppose that's why we are where we are.

"We've created chances in every game but we are where we are because we're not taking them – and because a free kick got deflected over my keeper.

"Leeds looked really confident after scoring, they rallied and played really, really well so I was happy to get in at half time at just 1-0 down.

"But I thought we did really well after that to put on the performance that we did and I felt we were going to get a draw.

"We're creating chances and I believe we will take them. The problem is when you're not creating chances. On another day, we'd have got a point.

"The game opened up at the end because we had to take risks but I was pleased that the changes we made caused them a few issues.

"I put Lee Gregory on and you could see his desire to run in behind which caused them a problem. I switched my midfield around and that got us back in the game.

"I think that's another good performance and a step forward. Now, can we win a game at home? We've got two coming up and that's what we need to do."

Woolford had Millwall's best chance when he burst into the box but failed to hit the target.

"Someone could've given him a shout because he wasn't even marked and he had time to take a touch but I can't blame him for missing," added Holloway.

"We've lost a very tight encounter to a deflected free kick and missed the best chance of the game – and that's determined the result.

"It's very, very disappointing because I thought that was a good enough performance to get us a point, which would've helped."

46 thoughts on “Millwall boss: Performance against Leeds warranted a point

• February 14, 2015 at 18:38

Sorry mr holloway but you a bloody idiot! What are your tactics cos I'm just confused.

• February 14, 2015 at 18:40

GET SOMEONE UP FRONT WHO CAN SCORE FOR MFC! NO ONE LIKES US, WE DONT CARE. THE STORM.

• February 14, 2015 at 18:42

I have got this horrible feeling that he is saying again in a roundabout way that he is happy with our so called strikers.
    I am getting really worried that IH does not want to be proved wrong and will stay as we are.

• February 14, 2015 at 21:16

@Longfield Lion: I think he has to be careful that he doesn't criticise our existing strikers too much, because if he doesn't get a loan player in he will have to work with what he has got. I don't doubt for a second that he doesn't see the shortcomings in that area.

• February 14, 2015 at 19:02

"We've created chances in every game but we are where we are because we're not taking them,
    Holloway, its been like this for 2 seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!

• February 14, 2015 at 19:02

We've got no strikers or midfielders that can score goals that's why we're where we are in the table . 1 shot on target yet again , jog on Ollie its like watching paint dry .

• February 14, 2015 at 19:06

The reason why we are not taking our chances is that we have nobody good enough to take them. We cannot even get attempts on target, so what chance do we have.

• February 14, 2015 at 19:17

@harry2310: Yes,Harry2310, and all the above, we can see it as 'plain as day' : We need a Goal - Scorer !( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 15, 2015 at 11:58

@BUSHWACKER14: we let a goal scorer go...marquis is banging them in every game at the mo...he will get better as he gets older and we will keep signing has been

• February 14, 2015 at 19:24

He had a month in January to get a striker or two,
    he took the easy way out and got Twizzle.
    That is down to him, not supporters not getting behind the team,
    or more turning up at the Den.
    Oh well, three points out of two hard away games
    in our situation, ain't bad.

• February 14, 2015 at 19:27

Listening to the BBC football round up today thecommentator said that "Liam Feeney was everywhere and assisted every Bolton Goal, despite them losing. I always felt letting Feeney go was a mistake, he was a great crosser of the ball and had pace. How comes other managers get the best out of the players from Millwall and yet this manager fails to? Only an imbecile is unable to realise that we urgently need a striker. Watford sign Deeney and he scores, how comes Hartford and co cannot seek out a good forward they have had all season? The best hope for Millwall is for Holloway to resign or be sacked, but neither will happen. If as we all want Millwall clings on to the championship no doubt Holloway will be a hero to his fans but who took us to this situation in the first place?

• February 14, 2015 at 19:48

@Peckhamlad: let's face it JB won't sack him and he won't leave and if it happens it'll be us the fans left with a team in the wilderness for seasons on end AGAIN
      Hope you read this JB

• February 14, 2015 at 21:19

@Peckhamlad: I thought Feeney had an annoying habit of hitting the first defender whenever he crossed the ball. Whatever he is achieving now is down to him improving since leaving us, his end product at Millwall was generally really poor.

• February 14, 2015 at 19:38

Haven't we got any young strikers amongst Neil Harris'charges , there must be someone? Fred and Sid have come good, nothing to lose by throwing on a youngster or two. We know they'll be proud to wear the shirt and run their socks off. Too radical for IH I suspect, he's reorganising deck chairs on the Titanic at the moment

• February 14, 2015 at 19:40

A spirited performance does not equal what we need a proven striker wake up Holloway words won't save us from relegation another game down we are running out of games
    nil por

• February 14, 2015 at 19:42

Happy Valentines day to my fellow Millwall fans. Thought you might need cheering up!

• February 14, 2015 at 19:45

how can we have deserved a point when we didn't score owing to our own weaknesses and we let a goal in owing to our own weaknesses

• February 14, 2015 at 19:52

perhaps randy lerner can give fellow yank JB a bell and tell him how it should be done !

• February 14, 2015 at 20:08

I promise everyone I am never going to mention this again-
    WE NEED A STRIKER. SOMEONE TO PUT THOSE LOOSE BALLS INTO THE NET. SOMEONE WHO CAN RUN THE LINE. SOMEONE FOR GREGORY TO FEED OFF.
    Done.

• February 14, 2015 at 20:09

Hollotwat talking his usual cobblers, JB won't sack him as Ollie is on one of the highest salaries in the championship, and he would be a mug if he resigned because he will not get a pay off. What bugs me is that what he is saying that 10,000 fans that turn up week in week out to see their team try to earn 3 points do not know football. But that one manager that has managed several clubs knows more than the millwall fan, so my fellow Lions we are wrong about how football is played, do we hell, Ollie I been a fan all my life of this great club and you have been here for one year. Do the decent thing, resign and place Fitzgerald in charge until the season ends, as we have some promising youngsters coming through that Fitz has natured.

• February 14, 2015 at 20:12

When you have 1 shot in target you do not deserve a point mr H. You're absolutely dilluded. You've had a long time to find out that we need a striker and haven't managed ro get someone who can find the net. Blame everyone but yourself though. That's one thing you are excellent at.

• February 15, 2015 at 09:32

@southlondon1885: When they got this Paris mush did,nt they check he was fit before they signed him or is a figment of ih mind?

• February 14, 2015 at 20:25

It would be very interesting to see what our financial situation is, in regards to where we stand with FFP - what's our budget for loans in keeping with the rules and in not incurring further fines/embargos....
    EVERYBODY is saying the same thing, manager, fans and even players are saying we need an addition up front to see us through... So what's the deal here?? Are we really at the very edge of our budget? Or is it just the fact that nobody of the calibre we require wants to come here??
    In connection with this - the situation with Paris getting injured is so frustrating, not only because he showed promise and was in a position that needed filling - but in regards to the budget as well.. If we ARE on the bread line, it's probably the worst thing that can happen. On the whole, so f#@king frustrating, and as fans totally out of our control...

P.s. Safe journey home to the die hard 180 or so that went today. Did that journey last season and a 10hr+ coach ride is no picnic...

• February 14, 2015 at 20:49

Same old , same old,, I have said time and time again. WE NEED A STRIKER.. Charlton have a £2 million strike and a s*** team BUT they will stay up coyl

• February 14, 2015 at 20:56

Just seen Ollie being interviewed and I'm a bit shocked.He looks really unwell.

• February 14, 2015 at 21:24

@denwescore: I hope it's just a cold mate, but he must be feeling the pressure. I hope for his sake that the stress isn't taking its toll. Love him or loathe him, he's our manager and we don't want a change now that the squad is largely populated with HIS players.

• February 14, 2015 at 22:39

@ PECKHAM LAD : whatever FEENEY is doing at Bolton he was best part of CRAP when he was here, and very very few on here were sorry when he went so what's the point in dragging his name up now FFS .

• February 14, 2015 at 22:57

1 strikers don't want to come here.
    2 we ain't got the money.
    3 Strikers that will come are usually 30+ and Havant played for months.
    4 Fed up of people whinging about targets and what we havant got.

• February 15, 2015 at 00:35

I'm truly sick and tired of Paul fcuking Goddard as our transfer record. We haven't had a prolific goalscorer since Bomber in league one. We were on the verge of something great, greater than the greatest team of 88/89, with Harris, Sads, Frank, Timmy and Reidy. We lost Sads, at the time a million plus international striker, NEVER replaced him. Story of our lives. As much as we've been 'saved' by these money men, Theo and JB, they've never really took the ultimate punt. Why?. Because of who we are? Maybe? I've often wondered why anyone would want to join us. You have to be different, a 'Millwall' player, someone who knows, or gets to know what it takes to succeed in SE14/SE16. I've seen players slaughtered by our own fans, unfairly most of the time for not being good enough. You don't put a shift in AND you ain't got it, well, take a short jog down the kermit mate. But players like Livermore, vilified, yet plays two days after losing his dad. Millwall boys. Men that would run through brick walls for the shirt and us. Ollie pretends he gets it. He might have shared a coffee with Sir Les or a beer or two with Tel. He doesn't get it. Doubt he ever will. Is there a place in the modern game for our old Millwall? I don't know, I really don't. But how about sticking to what we're good at? Or at least what we used to be good at. Pushing real young Lions through. We all know we need a goalscorer, well listen boys, it ain't gonna happen. We ain't got the dollar, we ain't that attractive, their like rocking horse poo. Everybody wants one, we will always been down the pecking order. Develop the kids, nothing better than seeing one of our own excel. Fed up of the sound bites, we need a Millwall man in charge, a Millwall man as captain and get back to being a nasty little team to play at the Den. If we need to go down AGAIN to do it, then so be it. We're a third division team that sometimes punches above its weight. I want my Millwall back

• February 15, 2015 at 09:15

@millwall_baggers: mate I completely agree with you. Nice to hear millwall fans thinking the same as me. I pressed dislike by mistake though mate. Still trying to get used to this ipad. But I have been going millwall and have always said our youth is our future. But over the last 10yrs we haven't brought anyone successful through. This is because managers do not play them enough. Ollie doesn't have a clue. All the years he has been in the game and he can't attract anyone to us. The only players we do get are because they have got no where to go. As for our strikers, he needs to play Gregory all the time. He is a confidence player. Remember when bomber joined us? He could not score but the manager stuck with him and the rest is history. Ollie look to our great past for us to go forward!

• February 15, 2015 at 01:04

I think it's ridiculous all the people calling for Holloways head! We were in a right state before he took over. Not just financially but we were fielding half assed wage thieving no hopes which was no help. Yes we're no better in the form books this year but like the old saying " you cant teach an old dog new tricks". Millwall have always played no nonsense football and I for one know it will take a good couple or more seasons to turn this team into an attractive, fast paced, free flowing group that Olly works so well with. Rome wasn't built in a day and I can only imagine what a great job olly would do with a healthy budget. We may end up in league one yes, but I know we will come back fresh and competitive. Sorry about the rant but I'm obviously more patient then some people. I have every faith in IH doing the business eventually!

• February 15, 2015 at 11:06

@Squire86: How on earth has Holloway been able to generate such faith in his ability? He has one of the worst win records on record - across his career it is something like 26% - and he made a complete mess of his last job at Palace. And Palace showed the problem was not the players but the manager, just look at the change when they got in a manager who knew what he was doing.
      Holloway is not up to the job but this job is his last fling of the dice so he will not walk away until reality gets too much to bear, another Palace moment.

• February 17, 2015 at 00:10

@Jzero: So getting Palace back in the premier league is classed as a complete mess? Not to mention Blackpool who nobody ever saw as a premier league team. You may also want to check your stats too because I make his managerial win rate at 37%. I'm not saying he has been great but I trust he will become great. Olly gets the best out of the youth ( Zaha-Palace, Ince-Blackpool). If we did go down then all our youngsters who most are currently scoring for fun at the minute will get that first team chance and thrive under Olly. You might think I'm as bonkers as Olly but with our budget and awful luck at the minute then I couldn't see any manager doing a great deal better. Just my opinion!

• February 15, 2015 at 02:16

Feel so flat 2day, thought we had a good chance to grab the points and get some real consistency going. From the brief description I herd, sounded like we were very wasteful and out of sorts for a fair part of the game. It's lookin bad but still hope we can get a wriggle on and some luck along the way. Credit to all who travelled, that voucher system looks horrid and I can't ever remember hearing anything like it before in sport. Let's keep goin hard at it and believing . Millwall always!!

• February 15, 2015 at 09:56

On reflection yesterday was always gonna be a tough one, 24 k yorkshire morons screaming their team on to get out of the relegation zone against our 100.
    No question we need another striker & winger.
    To me it seems every time we play woolford & martin together we get nothing/
    We need Fabbrini, another striker , another winger upfront.

• February 15, 2015 at 17:41

American billionaire wants to buy a championship club come this way clear out present management and a large influx of money urgently required just what we need

• February 15, 2015 at 17:59

@southstand: be careful what you wish for, American billionaires may not give a s*** about our heritage and role in the community and also see the value I. The land the club owns....I'll take JB any day.

• February 15, 2015 at 18:17

Two completely different views on this thread, we need a striker but we can't afford to buy a decent one. I think the problem lies with our scouting system. Take Peterborough for instance.They have been discovering unknown non league strikers for years and selling them on at a profit. If they can do it why can't we?

• February 15, 2015 at 22:03

IH and lots on here keep going on about missed chances we only had the woolford chance, am I missing something. I think our number one priority should be a new MANAGER

• February 16, 2015 at 08:03

I have been massively critical of Ollie but one thing he does believe in is youth. He has Neil Harris's youngsters playing the same style as the first team albeit the kids usually win! This can only be good for the future and he has worked closely with Scott Fitzgerald on this.

• February 17, 2015 at 00:15

@Bones: Tottally agree mate. Even if we went down the future looks bright for our youngsters. I just hopw Olly is still around to get them playing his way!

• February 16, 2015 at 09:28

you have a comment on here in my name (baz2262) that I never wrote.

• February 16, 2015 at 09:39

IH just go, how can we talk about strikers when only one shot is on target and the golden opportunity was a midfield/winger