Holloway defends Millwall's disciplinary record this season

STATS suggest Millwall are the dirtiest team in the Championship – but Ian Holloway believes a mindset among referees leads to more fouls being given against his side.

The Lions have the division's worst disciplinary record, both in terms of free kicks conceded (428) and red and a yellow cards (60 and four).

But Holloway does not believe those figures acurately reflect Millwall's style of play and instead feels officials make a conscious effort to stamp their authority on the Lions.

"This is what we've got to fight against and this is what I mean when I say referees try to stand up to the atmosphere at The Den," he said.

"They come here with a mindset that they won't be intimidated. We're the away team every week – that's how it feels.

"It's as if the referees feel they have to even things up before the game has already started and I've never seen that with any other team.

"Sometimes our players get caught up in the atmosphere and throw themselves into tackles to please our crowd, but I don't see a fair balance week in, week out.

"The worst game this season was Watford away.

"Five of my lads were booked and 18 free kicks were given against us even though we had most of the possession. We must have been fouling people when we had the ball!

"And recently refeees have been saying that Diego Fabbrini goes looking for free kicks. But when he turns away from tackles and runs past people, he's getting kicked!

"When you're kicked, of course you're going to go down. But they're saying he goes down too easily, which makes no sense to me, because surely you're either fouled or not?"

Significantly more fouls have been awarded against Millwall (428) than any other team. Reading (395), Bolton (393) and Blackpool (388) are behind the Lions in the foul table.

Holloway added: "Am I surprised by those statistics? No, not really, after what I've seen this season and some of the amazing fouls that get given against us.

"I just want it to be the same for both teams and I don't see that. How can we be so far apart from everyone else? I don't get it.

"I don't know why that is and I'm sure other people would say the same about their team, but those stats prove it.

"Maybe I should sing a little song – it begins 'no one likes us, we don't care!'"

20 thoughts on “Holloway defends Millwall's disciplinary record this season

• February 13, 2015 at 11:06

There's me thinking football was a contact sport and played by men.of course there will be fouls..but is ours any worse then anyone else probably not.

• February 13, 2015 at 11:07

Don't bite ollie, it's always been the same but don't there the refs see its getting to you or us, just get the boys playing and scoring and prove them all wrong

• February 13, 2015 at 11:15

Well what can we say? It will only get worse, every season it has got worse and worse. It will get to the point where we will start the season minus -10 points and with players suspended in an attempt to get us out of the fooball leagues!

• February 13, 2015 at 11:19

We should have more ex players or coaches as refs then these things might even themselves out. The w****** we got reffing our games are just FA puppets. w****** the lot of em coyl nolu wdc

• February 13, 2015 at 11:23

We are top of the league !!!!!!

• February 13, 2015 at 11:24

Well said Ollie but like has already been said don't get involved as they will take great pleasure in slapping you down with some fine for saying what you and all of us know, Football is not only about tactics and skill it is about intimadation of your opponent either physical or mental.
    If they were to do both of these as Millwall teams of the past have done especially at home we would be in a far better position now. COYL!!!!

• February 13, 2015 at 11:56

I really cant see the FA insructing refs to be biased against one team or the other. Suggesting that refs should be influenced by a crowd to give decisions to the opposing team(I.e any team playing us) are blown out of the water when you consider the refs siding with the likes of Man.U et al. They didnt concede a penalty at old trafford for ten years, that is just crazy. All home fans see fouls by their players differently to the ref. Similarly fouls we think the opposition have perpetrated are waived away by this (bias) ref. I suspect supporters throughout the land are thinking the same as us I.e. where the f;?k did we get this clown from.

• February 13, 2015 at 15:19

@benzo: he gets us plenty of free kicks but I suspect he's going to win less with time as refs will, wrongly or rightly, perceive him to go down to easily.

• February 13, 2015 at 12:25

I think you stated our case really well Holloway.
    Nice one.

• February 13, 2015 at 12:31

Always been the same, it just takes Holloway, who has been around the block and managed a few clubs to notice the difference and say what we all know and realise that Lions fans have not been paranoid and the NOLU song is sung for a reason. The Bolton non penalty at 0-0 this season perfect example. With all our community work and working with the forces you would think that outsiders might just think that Millwall is one of the last 'proper clubs, with proper passionate supporters' but our reputation from forty years back will always go against us especially when some endorse that opinion by fighting at Wembly.
    I notice Palace are not being charged for the coin throwing incident against Chelsea now if that was at the Den?

• February 13, 2015 at 14:25

@lennie the lion:
      The coin throwing was against Newcastle. I mention it becuase a palace supporter at my place of work suggested it might of been a Sunderland fan.
      Says everything about being a palace fan to me.
      Laughable.

• February 13, 2015 at 16:01

@wall2wall: was thrown by one of their 'ultras' scary bunch those palace fans.

Fa showing once again that they make it up as they go along, we would have been in major trouble and it would have been back page of the Sun!

• February 13, 2015 at 19:47

@MFC Lion:
          Or lion it could of been, wait for it 'The Homesdale fanatics'
          Laugh.cringe.laugh f****** cringe.

• February 13, 2015 at 21:37

@wall2wall: these are the same people that used to be called 'wait for it' the dirty thirty wot a bunch of w******.

• February 13, 2015 at 22:40

@block28
    Oh dear. It gets worse. Thanks block28.
    Dirty thirty.
    Priceless. I can imagine some of the others now.
    The ben 10 &