Carlos Edwards desperate to pull on a Millwall shirt again

CARLOS Edwards is "desperate" to pull on a Millwall shirt again – but admits that will not happen this season.

The right back, 36, has made signifiant progress since he underwent surgery on an horrendous leg injury in September.

But Edwards is not prepared to risk his future career by rushing back from the treatment room before he is fully rehabilitated.

"As much as I would like to play again this season, there's no chance of that happening unless I have a fairy godmother who can wave a magic wand," Edwards said.

"I need to get this right because a few years ago this could've been a career-ending injury.

"It's a complicated injury – it's my knee ligaments and my hamstring – but I'm buzzing with the progress I've made."

Due to the timescale of Edwards' recovery, his contract at The Den will expire while he is still working his way back to full fitness.

"The gaffer will have a word with me about that but those things are private," the defender added.

"Nothing has been said thus far but the main thing is getting fit. That's my only objective and the contract will come after that.

"But I'm desperate to play again. I'm not desperate enough to rush back before I'm ready but I'm desperate to pull on a Millwall shirt again."

31 thoughts on “Carlos Edwards desperate to pull on a Millwall shirt again

• February 12, 2015 at 12:11

Would love to see him play for us again but what with his age and his contract running out and would be the same player after this injury who knows.All the best Carlos and hope all goes well for you I can not see him being here next season

• February 12, 2015 at 12:13

Probably the best 63 year old I've seen play football.

Great player and hope he comes back as good as he was before this.

• February 12, 2015 at 12:25

Difficult decision on the cards for the club regarding him really. Sentiment or business. It's probably not good value to renew a contract as we never know what lasting damage has been done. Maybe a pay as you play one could be discussed. Perhaps even a coaching or youth role.However I do think we owe it to him to have him remain on the books until he's fully fit. Like I said a very difficult decision to be made and the choice has to be made between business sense and sentiment. Whatever the outcome I would wish him all the best. He was just very unlucky with the injury.

• February 12, 2015 at 12:27

He was brilliant for us and if he will accept a play as you pay offer then I would love to see him pull on a Millwall shirt, has quality and heart. Shame we did not get him sooner,

• February 12, 2015 at 12:38

Shame for Carlos, but I don't think he will play for us again, he contract is up in the summer and Shaun Cumminigs is starting to improve every game. Good luck Carlos whatever happens

• February 12, 2015 at 12:53

Could be that he would make a great holding midfielder, if only for one season...

He is calm and collected, always seems to have time on the ball and knows the game inside out

• February 12, 2015 at 14:22

Get back to fitness first you have a lot more to give Carlos, you put some of these young lads to shame proper grafter and a quality footballer see you next season, the team and fans have missed you.

• February 12, 2015 at 14:36

its a shame we will be lucky to see him again .i think he is one of the best right backs i have seen in the many years iv'e been going. can any one name better?

• February 12, 2015 at 14:36

Yes, we think that most of the above Post agree, as good as he played for MFC, the only deal can be a 'Pay as you Play' . At least he gets paid since the unfortunate injury! But, good luck Carlos, if you don't agree a New Deal at Millwall. ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 12, 2015 at 14:39

We are also desperate for you to pull on a Millwall shirt again Carlos.

• February 12, 2015 at 14:46

Get fit soon mate..you are a credit to the game.

• February 12, 2015 at 14:57

Could be argued he kept us up last year, fittest 36 year old I have seen down the Den. I think with a sensible contract for both parties he would do us a right favour as cover, would certainly be a great role model to the youngsters we should have next year, and we owe him.

• February 12, 2015 at 15:24

If he can recover from the injury and shows in training that's he's looking like the player we had at the start of the season give the man another year or pay as you play deal.

Age may not be on his side but it didn't seem to be a factor in his performances last season.

Simply a case of whether he recovers fully, be very sad way for him to leave us if he doesn't.

• February 12, 2015 at 15:51

I must say that I agree with all the nice things that everyone on here is saying about Carlos and I would also love to see him pull on a Lions shirt once again, but it just goes to show how the clubs fortunes are at this moment when we are all bemoaning a 36 year old full back who may not grace the Den anymore.
    What ever you do Carlos you have left us with great memories but its a shame that you did not come here sooner.

• February 12, 2015 at 16:21

Played well for us with a great attitude, maybe keep him on in a coaching role, install that work ethic/attitude into the new generation, but whatever happens to him I wish him well

• February 12, 2015 at 16:49

Played a blinder last season, but at 36 with a f***** leg he is better off being a fans' favourite in a lower div.

• February 12, 2015 at 16:56

If he is fighting fit come August give him a 1 year. Players of his quality at his age don't come along often. NOLU

• February 12, 2015 at 17:09

I'd give him pay as you play and a coaching role as he more than deserves it. He's exactly the type we need behind the scenes. Fantastic role model and probably the fittest player I've seen in our shirt in my time. Shame he got this injury. Definitely worth 12 months.

• February 12, 2015 at 18:08

I'd give him a coaching role. Let his attitude shine through to the others

• February 12, 2015 at 18:09

Offer him a 1 year deal, not hearing of any young right backs coming through the youth system so keep him as back up for next year with SC as first choice

• February 12, 2015 at 18:22

Player-coach role has to be the sensible option.

• February 13, 2015 at 00:59

6 month extension to get through preseason and see if he can reclaim a spot in the team.

• February 13, 2015 at 09:19

@glyngo: that would be at least the kindness thing to do..instead of showing him rhe door while hes trying his hardest to shake of the injury