Woolford fully-committed to Millwall's fight against the drop

MARTYN Woolford believes his performance at Birmingham on Tuesday proved that he is fully-committed to Millwall's battle against the drop.

Woolford almost joined Leeds United during the January transfer window but the deal collapsed on deadline day.

The winger returned to the Lions fold as a substitute against Huddersfield last weekend before playing the whole 90 minutes at St Andrew's in a crucial 1-0 victory.

The 29-year-old, whose contract at The Den expires in June, was hailed for his "magnificent" performance by manager Ian Holloway after the game.

Woolford said: "I hope that if anybody did have any doubts about me, my attitude or my state of mind, I've proved that I'm focused on Millwall – and that's how it's going to stay."

Reflecting on recent events, Woolford added: "It's been up and down.

"Being out-of-contract in the summer, the gaffer is looking further afield and when Leeds came in for me, he had to have a look at it.

"The gaffer wanted to focus on the players that were definitely staying for next season, which was fair enough, so things were up in the air for a little bit.

"I went away and trained with a couple of the others but for whatever reason, Leeds didn't happen.

"But the gaffer knows that, attitude-wise, I'm not going to let anything like that affect me.

"He told me to come back into the group, work hard in training and show him that I'm worth a place in the team.

"It's turned around quite quickly for me and I was glad to be back in the starting line up. I'm happy to be around the lads and playing again.

"To come back in and get an important win is all very positive for me."

Woolford's potential exit was not a reflection on his attitude or ability, Holloway told him.

"The gaffer made that clear," Woolford said. "And when something like this happens, it never does you any favours to moan or mope around.

"Throughout my career, if I haven't been in the team I've been working hard to get back into it. It's something that's served me well and I'll continue to do that here.

"Now that I'm here and I'm staying, hopefully I can keep playing and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season."

Holloway, who mastermind the Lions' first away win against the Blues since 1968, added: "I thought Woolford's response for me and the club was magnificent."

25 thoughts on “Woolford fully-committed to Millwall's fight against the drop

• February 12, 2015 at 10:31

Get the winner saturday and your be a hero.

• February 12, 2015 at 10:35

Woolford has always been a good player....Ollie has messed him around ....

• February 12, 2015 at 11:40

I may be in a minority but think Woolford should be given another year. Yes, we need to trim the squad, but we still need utility players and Woolford is a decent footballer, generally regarded as having a good attitude.

• February 12, 2015 at 16:09

@SE17 Lion: he was a very good left MIDFIELDER when he had a attacking full back behind cause IMO he cant take on men down the line.

• February 12, 2015 at 10:37

Have to admit he does show the right attitude I would have no problems being in the squad next year can always pop up with a goal and unlucky at Birmingham not to get one.

Of topic seems the Anoraks are starting to get nervous, on NAD, despite the season or indeed the last couple of seasons, the fans have generally stuck by the club, and encouraged the fans to get down and support it. Seems the Anoraks have a different way of 'supporting' their club. Thank goodness I was born in Bermondsey!

• February 12, 2015 at 14:20

@lennie the lion: cant understand what they hope to gain ..they have already payed in...so whats the point walking out.brainless unloyal bunch of w******..

• February 12, 2015 at 14:51

@Jim28: as my old Dad would say " if brains were dynamite they could not raise their hat"

• February 12, 2015 at 10:43

Good news this - I did have my doubts about Woolford, mind being elsewhere, out of contract etc. But good to hear him making a statement that he's happy where he is... Just a shame he hasn't been as clinical as last season.

Still a few more in the squad that need to figure out where their future is... A couple needing that decision made for them (we know who they are!)...
    Itching to see who will be joining us from the loan market - so frustrating knowing that we're playing week in, week out with a depleted squad coz IMO we're not far off being a good side now... Come on mfc, get us a couple of bobby dazzlers!

• February 12, 2015 at 10:48

Woolford is a utility midfielder that can be played in a few positions and formations, I have also been satisfied that he was putting the effort in whenever he played. He is not one of those players that was bringing down the atmosphere, I am sure. I also wouldn't mind him staying if Ollie thought he would play him.

• February 12, 2015 at 10:49

@glyngo: further to that it's true he hasn't had a great season by his standards but he was playing with the wandering Malone behind him so was forever covering left back when he would rather be breaking forward.

• February 12, 2015 at 11:01

@glyngo: that's the main reason he hasn't been playing well he didn't know where he was playing alongside a w***** like Malone defence & attack has looked a 100 times better since he left. Would be nice for woolford to score at Leeds. Coyl

• February 12, 2015 at 11:18

I really liked him when he joined but as has been said he hasn't had a good season really. I'd agree that covering Malone didn't help his cause. I hope he can bring his new found enthusiasm to the pitch and show leeds what they missed out on COYL.

• February 12, 2015 at 11:34

I like Woolford!! glad he is staying for the time being

• February 12, 2015 at 11:36

Woolford is one of the good ones. He has got positive attitude and it can't be ignored that he scored 9 Goals last season for us including the winner against Bournemouth last game of that season. Think if on-form he can still offer us a lot.

• February 12, 2015 at 11:38

I wouldn't be p***** off if we offered him a 2 year contract.
    Seems a really good pro.

• February 12, 2015 at 13:22

Yeah, agree with all of you, Good player WOOLFORD, always gives his all,decent on the floor and in the air, I'm glad he's staying.

• February 12, 2015 at 16:48

As above: Good attitude from a more than decent player. Always has a go and a versatile member of the team. Bloody glad Wooly never went to Weeds.

• February 12, 2015 at 17:41

We need better players than Woolford, sorry very much a league 1 player.

• February 12, 2015 at 18:18

We should never have even been considering letting him move to a relegation rival, madness.