Holloway delighted with "deserved" Millwall win over Blues

IAN Holloway heaped praise on his Millwall side after they battled to a "deserved" 1-0 victory over Birmingham City.

The Lions boss had demanded a positive reaction from his players after Saturday's defeat to ten-man Huddersfield and he certainly got one at St Andrew's.

Holloway's troops were full value for their victory, which was secured in the 51st minute when Alan Dunne nodded in a rebound after his initial effort was saved.

Millwall had not won at the Blues since 1968 but they produced a resilient defensive performance in the closing stages to secure the three points.

"We felt that was a deserved win," said Holloway.

"We had to ride a couple of scary things – like our record here and when they hit the bar – but on the whole I was really pleased.

"We responded brilliantly to the awful things that happened to us on the weekend, which we didn't really deserve, and we're a new group that's still learning.

"We came up against a really good side tonight and I don't think they played poorly, we just didn't allow them to play and we played well.

"We had a slightly different arrangement and Birmingham haven't seen us do what we did to them with the team that I selected.

"We just pipped them on the night and I'm delighted with that. Now we've got to go to Leeds on Saturday and see if we can get on a run.

"That means clean sheets, a few decisions to go our way, a bit of luck and someone who can finish – because it won't be Dunney every week!

"It's very rare for him to score but he told me 'it's your fault gaffer because you've got to get me up for set pieces all the time'!

"It's a really happy dressing room tonight.

"Now we have to win at home soon because it's pretty heart-breaking for our fans – but the ones who come away are quite enjoying it.

"Hopefully we can keep playing as we did tonight, gain some confidence and do that at home because it wouldn't half help.

"Our fans deserve to see the team play like they did tonight."

54 thoughts on “Holloway delighted with "deserved" Millwall win over Blues

• February 10, 2015 at 23:16

Well done Holloway.
    Keep going son.
    Lots to do but promising signs.

• February 10, 2015 at 23:18

maybe we may get a run off wins at home if we had 16,000 home fans turn up each game because im wondering where have the 25,000 which were at wembley for the play off final.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:16

@kyran_nicholl07: Women, kids, uncles and aunts on those occasions mate! It's an argument that is not worth having. I get to games very rarely now so I could be considered one of those fair weather, big game fans now.

BUT I was a season ticket holder for multiple years, I was at Hull aged 10 when Kevin O'Callahan sent us up, how many can say that eh? I was visited in hospital by John Docherty at addenbrokes hospital after being involved in a fatal car crash coming back from Norwich after the 2-2 draw in which I saw a friend die (whilst aged 11).

Does the fact I now come to games sporadically make me less of a fan?

It really gets my goat when people start using the flagship game attendances as a yardstick for fans that apparently don't bother week on week. It's an unrealistic equation to put out there.

Now for me to get to games nowadays costs me an awful lot of cash but more importantly it costs time, time I really struggle to create at the best of times. I would spend both the time and money IF the club really showed some ambition but throughout January and so far through the Loan window we seem to have made no attempt to get a forward.

We missed out on Lambert, Austin, Wood in the last few years and settled for dead wood journeymen instead.

When the model changes I will return at What cost and I am sure your 16,000 will too.

• February 11, 2015 at 07:19

@JonnyBanks: I hear what you are saying, but the loan market opens up on Thursday...sorry dude, but when you can make it, it will be appreciated!

• February 11, 2015 at 07:28

@JonnyBanks: Real life does get in the way and just because you are not a regular at the Den does not mean that you are not a supporter but what kyran_nicholl07 says about a 16k attendance is perfectly correct, if we had larger crowds and consequently a more fearsome crowd (12th man) more money coming in, which could be used for buying/paying new/better players....

• February 11, 2015 at 09:14

@eio: spot on eio. I live 3 hours away and don't go every week as play myself on Sats but go whenever possible. On average I go 12-18 games a season 60/40 home/away but if all the other part timers done the same then we would be hitting the 16K mark which ultimately we do need if we are to ever move forward as a club. My next game will be Sheffield Weds so in a dream world 4 more points by then would be great. 3 good, 2 not terrible as we'll definately win a Tuesday night game at Gods little acre. C'mon U Lions.....

• February 11, 2015 at 09:59

@eio: with the restrictions the met put in place it is virtually impossible to sell 16k home tickets,even if people did want to watch us lose every week.The only way to get a couple of thousand lapsed fans back is to make a couple of exiting signings and convince people the club has ambition.People are not gonna attend because the club say they will spend in the future if they do,there is too long a history of b******* for anyone to believe it.Let's not forget it wasn't long ago J.B told people not to attend if they didn't like the Lomas appointment!Something has to change but it is down to the club to make it happen.

• February 11, 2015 at 08:32

@JonnyBanks: Well said. Too many people come on here moaning about lack of ambition and not splashing the cash but they don't come through the turnstiles to generate the revenues needed. Look at our average gate compared to the rest of the Championship, We have around half the revenue of most others. People expect JB to keep investing out of his own pocket as if it's their birth right that someone else puts the money up for the club. Get down the Den and pay up or shut up.

• February 11, 2015 at 08:40

@Glasshalffull: f*** it I am gonna plot up in a service station on the outskirts of Leeds to get a ticket for Saturday.

Seriously though, if we get a decent striker then I will get back involved.

• February 11, 2015 at 12:50

@JonnyBanks: totally agree mate.....I went to Ferenchvaros away, so I know that I am truly among the elite of the breed ....also remember being at Ayresome Park when all 80 millwall that went that day stood and sang while 3000 savages ran towards us......being a true Millwall fan is more than just going to the games.....I went to the Hull game as well as you .....what a sight some cocky locals directed us the wrong way onto a little housing estate, we turned round and found there was about another 10 Millwall cars following us like we were the leaders great days.Does it mean that the so called loyal now are only loyal for the time they attend games 36 at most times 90 mins a season....I went season after season home and away There was not too many of us there when we beat west ham 2-1 in the simod cup but what a night...I have not been since me and my boy left at half time v Birmingham last season the pain got too much.....but I still bet I have travelled more miles than all of those who are having their five mins of glory and claiming the rest of us aint loyal

• February 11, 2015 at 14:02

@tonytowneronthewing: fair point and agree. I myself went to Ferencvaros home and away with my 3 brothers.I was only 15 at the time but my Dad made us and said it would never happen again! He was right. I think what people are trying to say and in my opinion correctly is that in order to ever move to the next level we do need more people like you and me turning up more regularly rather then just the 10k hardcore. Imagine if we did have 15-17k every week it would become a fortress again. Until then we've just got to be happy with the odd 1-0 away win.

• February 11, 2015 at 16:39

@Crittalllion: Since when was we permantly banned from the europa cup ?

• February 11, 2015 at 17:48

@Crittalllion: you are of course right.....I used to do it myself when I was younger...300 of us would attend an evening away game at oxford say in the old third division. We would then sneer with disdain at the 4000 (regular size of home gates in them days) that did not come...its only the folly of youth and I grew out of it many years ago now. I suppose like a reformed smoker I now hate hearing the people who assume warrior status cause they have been to a match that you did not attend. I will return to regular attendance again, but as I point out from time to time the real cancer at the club has to be exposed and that is Berylson who needs to invest commensurate withthe fans and his own alleged ambition, or sell up cheap and fkcu off back to the states for good. Like I said before it wont be long now because the council will not let him do all his money making developments.....I fancy he will preside over the inevitable relegation this year or next and then he will go

• February 11, 2015 at 19:58

@JonnyBanks: Well said! remember this incident. I also used to have seasons tickets, now it is better to chose the games I want to support rather than have to sit out crap performances. Thinking of the Blackburn at home on a Tuesday night! terrible performance. Now will not do night games

• February 11, 2015 at 11:40

@kyran_nicholl07: It’s a Chicken and egg situation. We're never going to be a massive club, but home form and results over the past three/four years have been abysmal. Throw in a lack of decent signings and the message from the club that we're struggling to compete at this level now, and you're going to struggle to attract the floating Millwall fans.

We all know most of our traditional support has moved out from inner London. The club needs to do more to attract these people and their families back and maybe even convert more of the new population that’s moved in to take their place locally. It’s going to take more than a few away wins to do that. So let’s not get carried away – we’d all love to see a packed ground, but we're still in the bottom three and have only won once at home once since August.

• February 11, 2015 at 11:56

Seriously Micky, have you really thought about who or what the locals are these days? Change the club name to polski united or the Nigerian lions and you might be on to something! The first part of your post was bang on the money though IMO. Lower ticket prices would help as as you mentioned, most supporters don't live in the area now, so it's travel costs that really kill

• February 11, 2015 at 13:09

@Geoff the lion: so the club just need to sign a couple of polish and Nigerian players and watch the attendances soar!

• February 11, 2015 at 13:56

That's a great idea Micky, let's start with a Nigerian as they are the new indigenous population in the area.......... Ooooopppsss tried that, didn't work! Danny shittu, born in Lagos!

• February 11, 2015 at 14:10

@Geoff the lion: I admit we're never going to get many Africans/Asians through the turnstiles, but the east Europeans might do - you certainly hear Polish and Baltic fans at matches now. Maybe the local demographics aren't in our favour, but it's something most city and big-town clubs are having to deal with up and down the country. If we've lost much of our local fanbase, we have to be more pro-active in attracting that traditional population who've moved out.

Times have changed and we have to have a product worth paying for to attract fans all the way from the Home Counties and further afield. We'll only fill seats at the Den with the promise of more exciting football, better results, a guaranteed good day out and knowing we can really compete in whichever division we're in. Until we do that, there's no point in moaning about poor attendances. Call it what you want - chicken and egg, carrot and stick, but as the great Kevin Costner once said; build it and they will come.

• February 11, 2015 at 14:20

Not disagreeing with you Micky. I go to every home game and some away, time permitting, and I live in Luton. 2 1/2 hours travel each way minimum. What's sad is I have no expections of millwall but I turn up regardless. I think we have more people banned than turn up! Ditching the bans might not be an idea!

• February 11, 2015 at 13:01

@kyran_nicholl07:

Not even worth the comparrison. It's considered a family day out to wembley. A very prestigious event. Come on get with the program.
      I live near Leeds but go to pretty much EVERY away game North of Watford. Don't always have the luxury to attend every home game.
      Know your audiences buddy!

• February 11, 2015 at 20:23

@lionindirtyyorkyland: Don't worry Mate, we appreciate you supporting the team north of Watford! In fact you Probaly see and hear the great atmosphere we get on 'Away - Matches' . ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 10, 2015 at 23:20

Well done DUNNEY, slaughtered on here by so many , never by me . MOTM in my opinion , not just for the goal, but for your all round performance again. TOP MAN. Dislikers, press all you like .

• February 11, 2015 at 09:51

@bordersarebest0170: I think you are missing the point! No one can deny dunny is a lion at heart, and yes he does make the effort, but we need more consistency at his highest level, which he simply doesn't produce. The same could be said for forde. They both have there moments and we are greatfull, but they do more wrong than right I'm affraid

• February 12, 2015 at 09:24

@bordersarebest0170: He gets slaughtered because he is shi te 9 games out of 10. Yes, he won us 3 pts the other night, but he has cost us many more over the past few years, and there's no argument about that.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:00

"That means clean sheets, a few decisions to go our way, a bit of luck and someone who can finish – because it won't be Dunney every week! Do you think we are still looking for a 'finisher', as this would turn our home form around, someone who can get goals out of nothing, or half chances at least.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:41

Sorry to be all doom lads,but if we dont we are f*****!

• February 11, 2015 at 01:23

Don't know about the dressing room being happy but I am with that win made my evening

• February 11, 2015 at 07:24

Dunney has been like a new signing of late. What a response after Huddersfield. We look solid now! Full of confidence... Hope we sign Hoov permanently.. As for Fab - maybe we should start a crowd funding campaign to raise the money. Our fans deserve to see somebody like him week in week out - all season long. My kids couldnt believe their eyes watching him last saturday. They were off their seats every time he got the ball. Please sign him up JB !!!

• February 11, 2015 at 07:48

Jeez that felt good, but it won't mean s*** if the boys don't stay focused and back it up. Hope they can start building a winning feel and get some more points in the bank. Well dunne anyway, a cheer to those who went and COYL.

• February 11, 2015 at 08:14

Good win! I am seeing progress and clean sheets!

• February 11, 2015 at 08:34

I'm happy for Dunne. I'm happy we beat the scum. I don't know about anyone else but i've noticed a marked improvement in Alan Dunne recently. His last four performances anyway.
    I know he gets slated for not being good enough. I know Beevers with Hoov is everyones preferred option at CB. But credit where credits due.
    On a different note... and i'm not one to kill the mood after an away win... If IH doesn't get a goal hungry emergency loan striker in we are going to struggle to get back to back wins and win consistently. I don't just want to win here and win there. We need to start putting daylight between us and the bottom three places sooner rather than later. Imagine we had turned over 10 man Huddersfield at home on Saturday we would now be sitting above Brighton and on the same points as Charlton and Rotherham. That is the difference between us surviving this season or not. Winning ad many of the next 16 as possible. Without a goal hungry striker we will snatch wins here and there on the off chance.
    I know Dunney's been reading this site because he's seen what people have said and he's turned it round. About time IH had a read and acted on the facts delivered to him by the fans.

• February 11, 2015 at 09:30

@Millwaller: Agree that we need that goalscorer to take pressure off the team going into away games after another poor Home result.
      The problem at Home is that we rarely take the lead and so we are chasing games and the crowd gets down early.
      If we had that goalscorer that was capable of getting us in front the Home performances and results could change for the better.
      I still think we have a squad that is capable of at least being at least halfway (with a few adjustments) but lets hope we are safe sooner rather than later and not another last day nail biter.

• February 12, 2015 at 09:28

@Longfield Lion: If getting a goalscorer was as easy as everyone is making out, don't you think Aston Villa would have found one by now, with the much bigger resources they have. They are a rare breed, cost the earth, and its money we don't have. I am hoping Gregory eventually comes good, and hope he gets his head right and we might have a gem on our hands.

• February 12, 2015 at 09:58

@beedoscores: 100% on the money beedo. People on here should take a reality check. Yes of course we need a decent striker, have done for years, but the only way we will get one is getting one from the lower leagues like we did with Gregory. As you rightly said beedo, even premiership teams with more money than we could dream of struggle in this area. Spending fortunes doesn't always work, just look at Torres, the b***** at Liverpool, bag if b***** at Chelsea. Simple fact is we have a team that shouldn't be relegated, but a manager that plays tactical formations with players out of position, that no one can understand. Maybe he is a tactical genious but with a squad like Chelsea!

• February 11, 2015 at 09:43

@ Longfield Lion. I completely agree. Just worried Holloway doesn't act on the obvious. Does he have more money in the bank to contribute to a loanee strikers wages? Because it will have to be a decent one or another Harry Kane type youngster. Wonder if Tottenham have another younger version of Kane that we can have.

• February 11, 2015 at 09:55

Made a difference giving Forde a rest should try it more often.

• February 11, 2015 at 10:01

Just to answer Questions on Home attendance
    If Holloway plays like we did at Birmingham at home nothing will improve it was a good away preformance for a team under performing and less expectations of them selfs,
    Tactically IH was spot on stopping second balls and limiting the tempo but I couldn't help feel a bit bored with out a early goal to hold on tooo, I'm not expecting to watch Chelsea or arsenal or say you did two long balls in a game that not fair b*******, but please Ih if your here next season what ever league what ever squad just make it worth coming ...

• February 11, 2015 at 10:06

We've already broken the financial fair play rules, so why not splash out on a striker or fabbrini?
    If we're going to do it, it has to be now. Everyone has waited long enough for a 15-20 goal a season striker.

• February 11, 2015 at 10:12

Holloway, have a look at this, Andy Johnson or Noel Hunt might be a shout for a short term thing?

• February 11, 2015 at 16:20

@robprout: have a look a bit closer - http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_player.aspx?football_player=Cherno+Samba

• February 11, 2015 at 18:42

@robprout:

Bit difficult that one, Noel Hunt signed for Ipswich till end of season and Andy Johnson has agreed terms with Luton after being let go by Palace.

• February 11, 2015 at 10:31

Lets carry on with the same team and lets carry on winning

• February 11, 2015 at 10:40

Still think we need a striker but the hof has had an effect for the better no doubt about it:)

• February 11, 2015 at 10:46

Well done all the players @ supporters brilliant night well done dunney you shut all the critics up. & wall fans cheer up we won.

• February 11, 2015 at 11:02

Do you think we just might be seeing the influence of Gibbs on the team along with the departure of Bircham? We are starting to play some good football, I said in a previous post I thought that in the Huddersfield game we were unlucky, if you can call losing 1-3 to ten men unlucky but on the second half performance we should have won but the second goal reflected the way the season has been going. The win last night does not mean we have turned the corner but I think you can see some confidence in the squad beginning to return and players like The Hoff, Hooiveld, Fabbrini, Cummings Harding and all, have actually been on a half decent run. If the picture on Dunny and Ollie is anything to go by the mood is certainly much better.

• February 11, 2015 at 11:20

Very very pleased to be wrong for a change. Well done Millwall. Let's keep that positive energy that a win brings right through to Saturday when face the scum away. People on here talking about 16k home attendance, I imagine that's what it'll be against Fulham come the 21st. COYL!

PS what happened to the 5 things we learned feature? We still need a striker Aldo if you're going to start it up again so maybe just do 4 things from now on.

• February 11, 2015 at 13:51

take away Fab and Jos and we will struggle ....we have to sign them up

• February 11, 2015 at 16:20

Heres an interesting unattached striker lol - http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_player.aspx?football_player=Cherno+Samba