Report: Birmingham City 0-1 Millwall

ALAN Dunne headed a second-half winner as Millwall finally ended their Birmingham hoodoo.

The Lions had not beaten the Blues at St Andrew's since 1968 but Dunne nodded in the rebound after his initial effort was saved to steal the points.

Millwall defended for their lives as the clock ticked down but Lee Martin and Lee Gregory both went close to adding a second goal.

The Lions are now level with fourth-bottom Brighton and within striking distance of Charlton and Rotherham after they both lost their midweek fixtures.

Michael Tonge's inclusion was one of four changes made to Millwall's starting XI by Ian Holloway.

Tonge, signed on loan from Leeds United, made his debut alongside Shaun Williams in midfield as Jimmy Abdou was dropped to the bench.

Ed Upson and Magaye Gueye were also named among the substitutes, with wingers Martin and Martyn Woolford recalled to the side in their place.

There was also an alteration to the back four as Nottingham Forest loanee Dan Harding replaced Mark Beevers at left back.

Martin, who had missed Saturday's defeat to Huddersfield with a rib injury, drilled the first chance of the match wide after a half-cleared corner broke kindly to him 20 yards out.

Diego Fabbrini then scampered through the heart of midfield before playing a pass to Maierhofer, but the striker was flagged offside as he went to pull the trigger.

In the 15th minute, Woolford and Martin exchanged passes before the latter fired in a cross which Fabbrini acrobatically hooked towards goal, but Randolph saved comfortably.

The Lions' best opening of the half followed soon after as Woolford played a one-two with Maierhofer before lifting the ball over Randolph but onto the underside of the bar.

Debutant Tonge blasted wide from 30 yards and Harding tested Randolph again after running from inside his own half to the edge of the box as Millwall continued to press.

But after the Lions' dominant start, the game began to even out after the half-hour mark as Birmingham saw more of the ball.

The Blues almost hit Millwall with a sucker punch when Clayton Donaldson wriggled past Alan Dunne and Jos Hooiveld to set him through on goal but David Forde thwarted him with a fingertip save.

Maierhofer and Shaun Cummings shot wide from distance and David Davis and David Cotterill both had efforts on goal as the sides exchanged half-chances before the half-time whistle.

Maierhofer and Tonge had pot-shots from range in the opening stages of the second half before Donaldson headed tamely wide of the far post after being picked out by Cotterill.

But it was the Lions who took the lead in the 51st minute when Dunne met Martin's free kick and forced the ball home at the second attempt after his initial effort was parried.

Martin almost added a second goal when he shifted the ball into his left foot before drilling a shot hard and low at Randolph, who got down quickly to parry the ball away.

The hosts chucked on £5million-rated youngster Demarai Gray after falling behind and Forde had to be alert to tip his dangerous cross-shot behind for a corner, which Millwall cleared.

Jonathan Grounds hit the bar for the Blues with a powerful back-post header in the 74th minute as the Lions survived a major scare.

But sub Lee Gregory went agonisingly close to making it 2-0 when he got a toe to Cummings' low cross, drawing a fine point-blank stop from Randolph.

Birmingham's last notable effort on goal was Gray's rising drive that sailed over the bar in the 86th minute.

Play went on for 60 seconds beyond the five additional minutes that were signalled at the end of normal time but Holloway's men dug deep to protect their slender lead.

72 thoughts on “Report: Birmingham City 0-1 Millwall

• February 10, 2015 at 21:51

I wasn't expecting that! EIO!!!

• February 11, 2015 at 23:43

@southlondon1885: hopefully when that loan window opens and we fingers crossed sign chris wood then i think mid table will be us for this year!

• February 10, 2015 at 21:54

Always confident after Saturday, Life with the Lions!

Nothing else compares

• February 10, 2015 at 21:59

This is all part of Holloway’s master strategy. Just like last season, he takes us to such a low-point that we all give up hope, then as if by a miracle we manage to claw our way to safety against all the odds. The man’s actually a genius – completely fooling us in to thinking he’s a clueless clown.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:02

I hold my hands up in this one. Happy as Larry to be proven wrong on this one.

A pattern is emerging isn't it. We are so full of fear at home it's counter productive. We need one or two players to be fearless at home, to do something that relaxes the others.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:19

@JonnyBanks: How about we actually support the team at home instead of getting on all the players backs.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:59

@SE6: That is the solution SE6 but it's hard to break these runs. It's all about being relaxed and as much as we pride ourselves on our support and ruthlessness as fans it can be as much a minus in hard times as it is a positive in good times.

• February 11, 2015 at 07:30

@SE6: I was there on Saturday supporting them all the way until Forde let in a calamity of a goal and then they all folded...ended up p***** off and frustrated and with a cold from hell...how much more support so you want? Shall I run on the pitch and sacrifice a chicken like in Turkey? Chain myself to the goal? How many more £'s shall I waste for the overpaid halfwits to under perform? Yes they won, great let's all kiss Ollie's A&@e!

• February 11, 2015 at 08:24

@vonhardshaft: Its a constant. I sit up in block 17/18. One minute Jimmy is a hero then he slipped and he tried to recover the ball; he was trying even while he was on the floor. If he had kicked the ball out or it had gone to a Millwall player everyone would have been singing his name. It didn't and people behind me were calling him a Cnut and getting on his back.

Forde has had a mare this season personally never rated him he flaps to much and doesn't inspire confidence. But I'm not on his case all the time.

Support is about getting behind the team when things aren't going our way. Making it intimidating for the away fans/team. The players have been s*** on by Ambler with the contract business and constant messing about with player changes and tactics. If
          it was me I would say f*** this for a laugh too!

Dunne gives it his all for the club alright not the greatest player in the world but he has had nothing but s*** for all the years he has been here and he has kept his head down and gotten on with it. Give it 10 years time when he has moved on everyone will be saying how he was wall through and through and what a great player. Iffil used to get the same s*** week in week out but now everyone raves about him.

Gregory hasn't really had a look in since Bradford away. Any coincidence that night some dickheads were having a go at his Mrs! If I was him I would f*** it all off too.

The players get paid so should perform. We all get paid a wage if we were getting constant s*** would be be skipping to work and try and give it our all? Like f*** we would just keep our heads down do what we got to do and go home.

So yes we need to get behind the team at home. Make as much noise as possible (because it is f****** dead at the Den now) and start supporting the team.

• February 11, 2015 at 08:36

@SE6: Millwall is the hardest team in the world to support. Everyone f****** hates us, Ref's are always against us, The FA would love to see us fold, the club always lets us down and constant s*** from OB where ever we go. You know what?... I love that about Millwall the them and us mentality 'f*** em all' but why make it even harder for ourselves by not supporting the team?

• February 11, 2015 at 09:45

@SE6: I see your point, but after 3 seasons of the same plop and going to virtually every game, how much is enough? How can we honestly expect 16000 a week when to be honest we are not getting value for money. I wouldn't mind if we put in an effort, which we did until Forde (who has been plop since signing his contract extension) made his usual mistake. How much more can Millwall fans give, we sing, we cheer and mostly whine and cry and we pay. With Ambler's incharge while our Chairman is back in the States and not here to see for himself, do we really stand a chance? Ambler's weekly reports constist of 8000 turned up sounded like 14000 and we played very well, all good here boss! What would you do if you installed a gas line into your house and paid every week for your gas bill and actually got enough gas to power a lighter? you would complain and demand money back...unfortunately this doesn't happen in football and all we get from the top is come and support us. How about Ambler forfeits his wage until we win 3 games at home? Bet he will work hard then to get us quality players!

• February 10, 2015 at 22:03

Can we play away every week? Let's smash Leeds next COYL

• February 10, 2015 at 22:03

Great result well deserved can we play our remaining games away from home well done dunne and yep first to admit I said drop forde tonight but pulled off a couple of great saves I will swallow humble pie makes it feel so much better being wrong when we win

• February 10, 2015 at 22:04

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii blinda COYL

• February 10, 2015 at 22:04

I admit I was wrong as I could not see any joy tonight and fair play to Dunne.
    With our poor Home form looks like our best chance is to nick away wins.
    Our fourth 1-0 away win.
    Most important goal difference only behind Brighton and only 3 points behind the two teams I think we can overtake Charlton and Rotherham.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:08

Dunne always gets coated by the many many many divs that frequent this site. Wheres all the praise tonight? Your all quick enough to stick the knife in his back but not quick to praise. Mufs

• February 10, 2015 at 22:12

Well done Alan Dunne playing well son great result

• February 10, 2015 at 22:24

@82wall: @82wall: as you probably realise dunne ain't me favourite by a long shot never has and never will be. For all the criticism I've given I've always given credit where it's due and I book you right not others do.
      But it doesn't now mean I will start thinking he's the best thing since sliced bread. For me he ain't good enough but every player will sometimes have a good en.
      Well done dunney

• February 10, 2015 at 22:59

@bonnie1272: ello bonn
          Haha yeah I get that feeling mate
          Until the next time.
          How's tricks

• February 10, 2015 at 22:54

@lukesmithmfc:
        Let's get it right, dunne is average at best. BUT he's heart, passion and commitment he has for this club is 1st class and he's definately one to have in the team in a situation where you need to dig in. My point is that every week it's 'dunnes s***' etc , these people call themselves millwall, but let me tell you they're nothing more than dis loyal turncoats. Alan dunne, he may not be the most gifted , but at least he gives a s*** and has come back to prove people wrong time after time after time for the past 13 years.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:13

@82wall: @82wall: @82wall: 82, I've said I agree to some extent but please don't try and convince me I've had my opinion for 10 yrs on him and believe me it ain't gonna change now because he's popped up with a goal and motm performance and because you have an opposite opinion to mine. Also you can't try and force it upon people.
          just cause people's opinion differ to yours it doesn't mean they're less millwall than you or not at all as you put it.
          like I said I've still given him credit when it's due as I did tonight.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:23

@lukesmithmfc:
            Wasn't having a pop back, your entitled to your opinion. I just fail to see how you can really be that against our current and 5th overall (maybe 6th?) longest serving player, playing for us, especially when he has seen off more managers and had more come backs than any player I can ever remember. He's millwall through and through, and no that doesn't give everyone a right to play for us, but the fact is he has done, and at times he's been good and been part of installing what it means to wear the shirt into the other players. There have been many many worse than him, and there will be many worse in the future. But they won't all give a t*** like he does, that's the difference.

• February 11, 2015 at 02:12

@lukesmithmfc: hi Luke even I had given up standing up for the guy but we can all see what a difference it makes to Dunne's game when he is partnered with a CB that doesn't require constant covering. Dunne has only really had that 'LUXURY' since Hooiveld arrived and look how well he has played since then.

• February 10, 2015 at 23:47

@SE17 Lion:
        Not at all, I'm just confident that I understand the club I support, know our history, and can recognise loyalty and honesty when I see it. It's C U N T S like YOU who have the mental age of a 10 year old who just don't understand what it means to be millwall. I don't buy into all that, 'we're all as millwall as eachother' because we are not. There are people who moan behind a keyboard and coat people like dunne, forde, jackett, Berylson, even robbo in the past, tony Craig towards the end of his time with us, Holloway. And they're the people who ain't got a clue, and have no respect for people who actually DO CARE and DO WANT millwall to succeed, they're the people who the normal contingent feel embarrassed to be around at games when they're screaming absoloute total b******* from the stands. Then there are people like me, who have had millwall bred into them from the day they arrived on this earth, we were brought up to appreciate the good times , because there aren't that many. We were taught to respect players who put a foot in, and had millwall in their hearts, weather they were good enough didn't really matter in all honesty. Now days it's different, you have to have ability as well as heart, but that doesn't excuse (in my opinion) the way some of our 'fans' treat and have treated some of our current team/staff and previous team/staff. Im not an a*** licker, I'm just more millwall than you could ever dream to be.

• February 10, 2015 at 23:52

@82wall:
          I'll add to that , we were also taught you fight till the end and keep the faith, not accept relegation in January. Some of the meltdowns you get on here are literally comical.

• February 11, 2015 at 00:22

@82wall: cheer up you miserable c***, stop slagging everyone off, we won the game you div! Be happy for tonight at least

• February 11, 2015 at 00:31

@dpendent:
            I'm happy as a pig in s*** mate. Makes a nice change to feel happy on a journey home. Hope I / we get the same feeling Saturday! Can't wait now.

• February 11, 2015 at 02:21

@lukesmithmfc: @82wall: all he has is what any player should, passion heart and 100% that's bare minimum but to play at the level we find ourselves in you need a bit more to go with it.
            Maybe all this talk of knowing what it means to play for us is the problem instead of just letting players do what they are paid to do. I work nights and do what I'm paid to do but f***** if I'm gonna have someone spouting off at me about what it means to work for the company just cause he's been their for 30 yrs means f*** all i was employed cause they see something in me and have good references I'm still in me job cause im good at it I don't need an average at best hero one job man insulting me how to do it.
            I'm all for his desire to not let things get to him and the way he knuckled down is very admirable I respect him for that.
            It's not the man I have the opinion of its the footballer.
            Like you said, I've also seen a lot worse and without a shadow will see a lot worse when he hangs up his boots. But for me it has to be more than that if we are to move on and progress for once. I find us too draconian in the way things are done in the boardroom. I think there's a fear that if we move on then we lose our identity. We lost a lot of character and atmosphere moving to the new den but we did it and moved on but now we need to move with the times again, we have so much potential but for some reason we're stuck in the past.
            What ollie is doing away from the first team should have been done yrs ago and beggers belief that it wasn't. He has an awful lot of work to do and it probably will need a few quid to happen. But I for one hope that it does cause we'll be a far more attractive club for would be investors which we desperately need and we'll be able to convince a higher standard of player to play for us. But if it don't happen then like you, I'll still be down there come rain or shine.

• February 11, 2015 at 08:17

@82wall: you wrote "they're the people who the normal contingent feel embarrassed to be around at games when they're screaming absoloute total b******* from the stands."

I am with you 100% on this.....is it any wonder why we struggle to attract players and supporters ? ...... But to be fair to them they are mostly puff adders and coke heads

• February 10, 2015 at 22:09

We Dunn it at last beating the scum fantastic result well done to all that went.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:15

Well done to all the team and especially to Dunne and Forde, who I don't think are good enough but went some way to proving me wrong tonight

• February 10, 2015 at 22:15

Thank F U C K for that.......... well played Wall and safe journey home to all that went, good effort made plenty of noise on player.....

• February 10, 2015 at 22:17

Gotta give a massive apology for my ridiculous alcohol infused outburst on Saturday. Just got really fed up with the same old crap at home and the people around constantly moaning it rubs off on ya sometimes.
    I want us to do well and I love me club and been more than enough games home and away to have a childish outburst every now and then but make no mistake I will still go down there even though it hurts at the min.
    So once again sorry chaps

• February 10, 2015 at 22:17

Great result, didn't expect that at all.
    Well done boys and well done to the fans that travelled up there, by all accounts they were superb as usual.
    COYL

• February 10, 2015 at 22:21

Back to back wins coming up i think COYL!!!

• February 10, 2015 at 22:24

Thats it now weve got a get out of jail card, we need to kick on now whats done is done lets get hehind the players & management we may not like all of them but were stuck with them so lets kick on , our season starts now 100% backing now guys & that includes getting behind the team at the den

• February 10, 2015 at 22:51

@mfcjon: whilst I agree, we all know that will only last until the next time we are trailing.

All the doom merchants will return.

I feel a more level headed approach may be more effective.

Rome was not built in a day.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:25

Take a bow Dunn good luck to you mate

• February 10, 2015 at 22:26

Brilliant Atmosphere up here with these Super Millwall Supporters, gonna stay up here for the night, and celebrate ! This is what we all Travel around for, we want to see MFC Win. Everyone up here got behind the 'LIONS' , despite the freezing cold! ( NOLU, WDC ).

• February 10, 2015 at 22:29

well done Dunney...Nelson or Dunne in the next game ...and well played Woolford...COYL

• February 10, 2015 at 22:30

Well done all! Wot is this b******* about west ham .aldoWTF

• February 10, 2015 at 22:58

@DiggerWall:
      Your adverts are tailored to your search history, mine is coming up with auto trader because I've been looking for cars lately, you must have typed West Ham in google or something mate.

• February 10, 2015 at 22:38

To all the Dunne haters, stick that in yer pipe and smoke it!!!
    Best result of the season so far, com'on the mighty wall, no surrender! NEVER DOUBT A WOUNDED LION!!! CUS THEY BITE TWICE AS HARD!!!

• February 10, 2015 at 22:40

Whoscored.com top three ratings tonight - Dunne 8.4 (mom), Hooiveld 8.1; Forde 7.8

• February 10, 2015 at 23:06

Roar with pride!!! COYL, Leeds next, we're catching the anoraks from se7!!!

• February 10, 2015 at 23:20

well done holloway, balanced team selection, round pegs in round holes, and fantastic performance by the players, lets enjoy tonight and safe journey to the magnificent fans who went ! it looks like we have a good formation for away games now, fingers crossed!

• February 10, 2015 at 23:32

@rowanonthewing7: great response by the players..even harding burst forward & had a shot.we had them on the back foot right from the start..and what was more pleasing(apart from dunny scoring & fordey not putting a foot wrong).was that we didn't ease up & let em get a grip on the game

• February 10, 2015 at 23:33

@ LION.IE . Yeah mate . All the players the brain surgeons on here didn't want playing. Says so much eh.

• February 10, 2015 at 23:59

if you want to be in the bottom 6 every year have players of dunne's quality - if you aspire higher then you need better players - that is what the majority know - it is a season long affair - all teams and players have good and bad days but look where we are after 46 games - not all dune's fault of course but just compare him to Hooiveld - compare abdou to fabrinni

• February 11, 2015 at 00:04

Thank f*** ,but this World Wide Web is getting b*******!

• February 11, 2015 at 01:21

Well surprised with that result, thought we'd get very little, nice win, thanks team for brightening up my evening

• February 11, 2015 at 02:15

When we went to three centre backs my heart sank, but defending the lead wad the right call. Well done Ollie.

• February 11, 2015 at 07:09

Happy to be proved wrong on the result, honestly thought the jinx would continue, but from the sounds of it a very solid performance and although I am one who believes Dunne is past his best for this division, I congratulate him on his goal and ultimately the winner for a vital three points. Lets hope we can do the leeds scum saturday!

• February 11, 2015 at 10:29

Well done the whole team and the manager, lets carry this on.

• February 11, 2015 at 11:49

F**k mine, I didn't see that result coming so have to gladly hold my hand up, I wrote this game off against bogey team Brum.

COYL make it an away double at the weeds!!

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• February 11, 2015 at 13:13

Value for money? We are getting exactly what we should for the money spent. The cost of a decent player and wages have gone up tremendously over the years. We are getting exactly the value we deserve for the money spent.

There lays the problem. Ambler. Its the blind leading the blind and I agree with what you say. We are now caught in a horrible situation where JB isn't going to fork out over the odds for a player until we get bums on seats and fans aren't going to go to be served up crap. JB and Ambler have had their fingers burnt recently by the likes of Hoyte being given big contracts and getting nothing in return for them. Its dead money. So they are now going to go the other way and be more cautious about who they get in.

Millwall as a club is not a big attraction for players coming in. Ollie is. Like him of hate him players want to come in and play for him. January is never going to produce much in the way of strikers unless we take a punt on an untested player from the lower leagues or abroad that will want to sign a lengthy contract for their own security and future (who wouldn't) but the risk is you could get another Hoyte who is quite happy to sit on his a*** and collect a pay check. The board just aren't going to take that kind of gamble. Or we could sign a proven journey man which could go one of 2 ways has nothing to prove (more wasted money) or we could end up with another Claridge, Dublin, Byfield type player that will bring something to the team if only short term until the close season.

Ollie has been up against it from the start having to rescue us from relegation last year, he inherited stagnating crap, had the contract fiasco and has our reputation to contend with in the transfer market. Most managers would have walked by now.

Now Ollie is getting HIS squad together hopefully we can pull something out of the hat like Pardew or Alladyce have done and turn the season around.

If my gas supply was s*** I would go to the top not have a go at the fitter.

• February 11, 2015 at 23:10

@SE6: fingers burnt signing Hoyte?

He was hardly a quality signing at the time and has proved even worse than anyone could possibly have feared.

No one thought 'ah quality we've got that Hoyte fella in, great full back he is'. He was just another so so player who failed to even meet those expectations.

What quality players have we brought in that have failed to live up to the hype?

We've only ever brought in average players so until JB spends £1m on a flop player he can hardly feel hard done by with what he's ended up with.

• February 11, 2015 at 23:28

@MFC Lion: we know he wasn't quality try telling Ambler that. He signed him thought he was the mutts nuts. He's the one that pulls the strings so they will be less reluctant to do the same thing again.

What quality players have we bought that failed to live up to the hype?? I have 25 years behind me where do you want me to start?

• February 12, 2015 at 01:43

Just the years JBs been chairman, no need to go back 25 years!

I honestly cannot think of any player that he's spend a lot of money on that has been a disappoint to put him off making any decent signings now.

Yes plenty of loan and has beens have been here, possibly on high wages, but not for big fees?

He's a decent chairman but he needs to make that big money transfer for a striker.

It may not work out but at least he could say 'Ive spent big, took a risk and hopefully he will score the goals we've been missing'.

Until that happens survival each year is the best we can hope for.