Scoring no consolation for Maierhofer after Millwall defeat

STEFAN Maierhofer would have gladly swapped his "crazy goal" for three points against Huddersfield on Saturday.

Millwall missed the chance to move out of the Championship relegation zone as they were beaten 3-1 by the ten-man Terriers at The Den.

Maierhofer had cancelled out Sean Scannell's opener but knew little about it as an attempted clearance deflected in off his giant frame.

That was the Austrian's first goal since he returned to the Lions for a second spell in January but it ultimately counted for nothing.

"It's not important for me to score, the important thing is that we win," Maierhofer said.

"I know I'm a striker and a striker must score goals but I'd rather not score and win 1-0 like against Nottingham Forest.

"I didn't score last week but everyone was happy after the game. I score this week and we lose 3-1, so I'm not happy.

"And it was a crazy goal because I was standing five metres from the line, a defender kicked the ball and it went in off my chest."

Huddersfield striker Nahki Wells was shown a second yellow card early in the second half but they retook the lead when David Forde fumbled Jacob Butterfield's shot.

"Their second goal is a mystery – there was a slip from Jimmy Abdou and then Fordey – but we win and lose together as a team," Maierhofer added.

"When the other team is a man down, you start thinking that a point isn't enough. But a point would have been better than none.

"It's hard to play against ten men because ten men have more spirit.

"We played 90 percent well but the last ten percent, the last pass is the important thing."

Maierhofer believes the Lions have to quickly forget about Saturday's result ahead of their midweek clash with Birmingham City at St Andrew's.

And he says boss Ian Holloway will rally the troops.

"He's a f***ing brilliant manager," Maierhofer added.

"I've played at lots of clubs but the manager here has a good personality. When you go out onto the pitch with the lion on your chest, there's an atmosphere.

"Millwall is a big club with a history and he [Holloway] is one of the best managers. After he's spoken at our team meetings, I could kill someone.

"He finds the right words every time. We had a 25-minute meeting after the game on Saturday and he said the right things.

"That's important because we all have to learn from our mistakes. But when we wake up this morning we have to look to the future.

"Defeat is hard to take but we have to look forward because we have a big week coming up and our next two games are very important.

"The important thing is that we remain confident. We played well on Saturday and we must play well again on Tuesday.

"But if we're f***ing s**t at Birmingham and we get three points, everyone will be happy."

47 thoughts on “Scoring no consolation for Maierhofer after Millwall defeat

• February 9, 2015 at 09:19

Hoff I am sure we all would have also wished for that mate, but lets move onto Tuesday's game a must win game like all of them from now on as we don't seem to be able to do the business at home anymore.

• February 9, 2015 at 09:29

Should be playing Gregory no matter what. I wouldn't mind seeing him Greggs and Hof up top but for me our best striker has been left on the bench in the last 2 games. Get him starting and with the new look team maybe he can start scoring a few more

• February 9, 2015 at 09:47

@whiteliont: now that is a daft suggestion! It would mean ollie picking a 4-4-2 formation! And that's gonna happen!!!!!! NOT. It's a shame cos I do believe we are better than our position suggests

• February 9, 2015 at 12:46

@whiteliont: No matter that he has scored 4 goals in 30 appearances.That he has no pace, can't hold the ball up and is s*** in the air.

• February 9, 2015 at 09:33

Don't get me wrong hoff, appreciate ya sentiments but all the chat wears thin after a while. U hav goals in ya, swallow some angry pills n go and do some damage. When they were down to 10 men you blokes should have f***** them so hard up the a*** they would've bled to death. 100% for every minute of every game. You blokes can do this and every supporter knows it and deserve it.

• February 9, 2015 at 09:50

He's a bit of a potty mouth...last season he was like 'Oh darn, I burnt the muffins!' this season it's more 'I'M GOTTA RIP OF YOUR HEAD AND S#'T DOWN YOUR NECK...ARGHHHHHHH!'
    Still needs to score more!!!

• February 9, 2015 at 09:51

Hof less of the f****** swearing ..(fancy saying olly is a brilliant manager).go wash your mouth out

• February 9, 2015 at 09:51

Thought the Hoff kept their back line on their toes ! Wrong to take him off in my opinion,

• February 9, 2015 at 10:02

There is to much old b*****k coming out of millwall from the top to the bottom at this club

• February 9, 2015 at 10:04

I suggest that we don't hear anything from Ollie and his players about what we're going to do leading up to our next match, how it is all coming together etc.That way we won't all be so disappointed.

• February 9, 2015 at 10:27

So he just swears away in a interview.
    Just a p***k on the pitch and off.

• February 9, 2015 at 10:27

Morning all.

Been reading the comments on here for quite a while so thought it's about time I registered, I've been on not 606 for 4 years.

Just a general comment that I'm fed up of relying on other results, our luck will run out eventually and looks like it'll be this season. If this lot of new players can't save us then we're doomed as certainly those that are still at the club that got us in it in the first place certainly won't get us out of the mire.

I'm not resigned to relegation yet but it wont be long barring another end of season run like last season, I don't expect anything at bogey side Brum!

• February 9, 2015 at 11:11

@Millwallsteve1972: morning Steve, not 606 been very quite for a long time.

More Leeds fans on the board than wall so rarely visit it now.

• February 9, 2015 at 16:06

@MFC Lion:

Afternoon MFC,

Noticed you've not been around much later mate, nor have I much lately though to be fair due to work.

• February 9, 2015 at 16:30

@Millwallsteve1972: watch out for the keyboard warriors on here Steve.

They get a bit touchy if you disagree with them and hit the dislike. But plenty of likes for their own comments bless!

Mental age of 12 year olds, in reality sad men in their 40s.

Overall though mostly decent posters and good site for wall news.

Wouldn't surprise me if Olof, Cheshire and the rest of the Leeds lads find their way here at some point knowing them.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:25

@Millwallsteve1972: Welcome Steve. You'll meet both ends of the IQ scale on here. You're right in that we've got away with it for the last two seasons, both of which went down to the last game. I think we'll be well adrift by then this time. It's all well and good being positive and wishing for changes but despite the best intentions of the boardroom at Millwall - we're been run by a bunch of amateurs for years. Without JB we'd already be in League one or worse but money doesn't always bring results. Ambler signing Hoyte whilst we were managerless is a classic example. The days of the Den and the atmosphere it createdat Millwall is long gone and if we keep making managerial appointmenst like the last two, our local derby will be at Wewlling soon enough. Millwall is a difficult club to attract good players at the best of times but squandering a fortune on salaries for the bunch of crap that's been wearing Millwall shirts for seasons is a scandal. See that Wood is looking to go out on loan. Reading, Forest etc. sniffing around. Not us- We throw money at a forward line that would have trouble tucking one away in the park and leave Gregory on the bench for some reason. As for Forde, that second goal on Saturday is a shot that I'm damn sure I could have saved and yet we leave the reserve keeper on the bench. Holloway has changed everything else so wht he doesn't drop Forde as well is totally beyond me. But that's how it is this season, and how it's been for the last two. People on here say getting relegated might be a good thing in the long run. Not for me i'm sorry to say. We'll be there for years. If Holloway wasn't sacked after Christmas then he's going to be blindly steering the ship onto rocks come what may and it's always someone else's fault and that is what is wrong at the core of our football club.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:46

@NICKOLA: Jesus nic, uve certainly hit that nail on the head. Good points, I'm with you that going down is not an option. In this day n age the bucks are too hard to generate and the drop would be a disaster. Although not really savvy with the goings on at millwall, it,d seem to be much the same as australia where the lower leagues constantly struggle for any scraps discarded by the afl or the a league. At least there seems to be a certain profile attached to the championship and therefore I'd imagine an easier relationship with sponsors etc?? Whatever the outcome at present I'd be staying as positive as possible and believing that we can still drag ourselves out. If the players have the resolve n depth of courage as the supporters then it s a real chance.

• February 9, 2015 at 16:13

@NICKOLA:

Afternoon Nikola and thanks,

Like I say I've been reading the comments for a while and you seem to be the voice of reason and on some occasions in the know so assume you've got good contacts.

We never bounce back at the first attempt and wouldn't expect us too next season if we go down, going by past experience we'll be down there for 4/5 years but perhaps JB will throw a lot of money at the side - time will tell. No guarantee of results though unless it's spent wisely as we know only too well hon!

• February 9, 2015 at 18:21

@NICKOLA: Qulity post nickola you are spot on with your comments to be fair

• February 9, 2015 at 10:42

We have the Hof, we have the Hoover, but we also have The Hapless in goal!

• February 9, 2015 at 10:52

Hoff of course Ollie is a brilliant he f****** you twice both times when no one else would.

• February 9, 2015 at 10:55

I posted when IH brought all these players in that it would take a least 3 games for them to gel. & you must admit that we have a better team than we did a month ago. But we still need one more striker & a winger then we should be able to climb up the league. Coyl

• February 9, 2015 at 11:17

@block 28: sheff wed, reading and fulham looking to take Wood on loan.

Not sure what his wages are or if he would even want to come back but we know he would do the job.

• February 9, 2015 at 12:48

@MFC Lion: millwall was looking at this in the summer .but the interest died away..can only be wages.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:01

As you appear to like a good swear word, how about....
    Score some f****** goals.
    f****** jumping occasionally, might mean you would win most balls in the air.
    Also getting the f****** ball blasted against you for a goal is nothing to shout about, although we are all getting a bit desperate for something to cheer.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:22

You seem to be gaining a good knowledge of english swear words Hoff,but there is much to learn,i will be sure to shout out a few new ones for you at the next match.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:42

I read a load of tosh from Hoff in today's Daily Mirror about how he thinks Holloway is a "brilliant" manager! So brilliant the team haven't won at home since last October and unable to beat 10 men at home. All this guff always comes out after another defeat. What will the "brilliant" manager do against Birmingham tomorrow? Play Forde again? (Given a rating of 3 in the Mirror).

• February 9, 2015 at 11:46

" After the manager has spoken in team meetings I feel like I could kill someone".
    Tickled me.

• February 9, 2015 at 11:51

@wall2wall: yeh same here. Guy sounds slightly eccentric/nuts.

I wish Ollie could say something that inspired the hoff to jump for the ball rather than kill though.

• February 9, 2015 at 12:33

Maybe if !! the in the air thing isnt working for the Hoff, wouldnt they try and give it to him on the floor? I noticed he didnt lose the ball when he received the ball at his feet , that many times and brought players into the game, I think he is underestimated,They players done exactly the same to fuller, big high balls! We have got to start serving players to their feet. thought me missed his hold up play when he got taken off. Get your fingers ready for the dislikes.

• February 9, 2015 at 12:48

@lionrampant: No dislike from me as I thought the same on Saturday. The Hoff seems to have boots made from lead so doesn't seem capable of jumping but actually held the ball up quite well when it was played to his feet. Fuller doesn't like the ball in the air and prefers it played to feet but what did we do - pump the high ball in his direction.

• February 9, 2015 at 13:04

@REAL Supporter: unfortunately this seems to ring true, the Hoffs hold up play is good - sheilds the ball well and gives players time to move - but it's a bit frustrating that the man is 6'8" and isn't great in the air....
        I like the Hoff, I think he's a problem for defenders - but when compare him to Matt Smith for example, who IS good in the air... You can see where we lack... MUST make the best of the loan market now, because right now we're not quite clinical enough....

• February 9, 2015 at 17:18

@REAL Supporter: Thanks Real Supporter ! I started to question myself! But obviously you can see the good side to his game as I have

• February 9, 2015 at 13:04

HE SWEARS WHEN HE WANTS
    HE SWEERS WHEN HE WANTS
    STEFAN MAIERHOFER
    HE SWEARS WHEN HE WANTS

• February 9, 2015 at 13:28

Amazing how all these players spew this stuff about Holloway. It started with Shane Lowry, but he didnt last long. I reckon he takes them in a room and dangles a shiny watch in front of them before interviews, 'look into my eyes, not around the eyes....'

• February 9, 2015 at 15:52

Hoff will probably get sent off tomorrow for attempted murder...or maybe abusive language at the ref...

• February 9, 2015 at 17:08

This so called footballer makes me die, he's uwe fukes in disguise , he can't jump he can't control a ball to save his life, he misses sitters, the only reason he's picked is cos of his height, get rid of this bloke who tried to start a bidding war with Fulham last year against us, he's crap, u may all not agree but watch him he's useless, we need a goal scorer now end of.

• February 9, 2015 at 19:07

@mfcjon: He's absolute crap and i have no idea, at all, as to why Holloway or any supporter would think otherwise. He doesn't jump. Personally I'm convinced he can't due to a childhood trauma of some sort. He couldn't hit his face with his own hand -though I'd like to-and couldn't trap a bag of cement in a broom cupboard. Absolute shitenhousen.

• February 9, 2015 at 17:45

Got to be fair though Fuchs cost £800k, Hoff cost, a couple of track suits didn't he, oh no sorry that was Casacarino, these two couldn't lace his boots. What Hoff knows about footie could be written on a stamp, during the summer he did not want to know about playing for the Lions, and thought those in the higher division would come knocking at his door, so he turned us down, why then go back and welcome him to the club. I been a lions supporter for over 30 odd years and had a season ticket ever since we moved from the old Den, I would like to think I know a thing or two about football, give the young lad O'Brien a game, he could surprise a few and his one of our own. Listen to the fans IH, we will still be here even after you've gone.

• February 9, 2015 at 18:31

I'd say he was brilliant too if I played like a sack of s*** and managed to get a game, I'd say he was brilliant too if I mugged him off last year and he still came back for me. Even though he scored he was total dog s*** on Saturday out jumped by everyone for headers.

• February 9, 2015 at 19:03

@brooker: well said brooker the hoff is poor,how he made a professional football player is beyond me, it would be interesting to know how much money he's on a week, he should be playing in a balaclava and stripped jumper, lol

• February 9, 2015 at 19:04

If wood is available for loan we have to pull out all the stops to get him . We all no what he can do . Get him on loan and agree a fee for the summer if we want to buy .

• February 9, 2015 at 19:23

@lioncub: how about that other young lad we had on loan from Spurs, Harry something, what's he up these days ;)

• February 9, 2015 at 19:41

@lioncub: that would be a dream come true !!!!! But let's all wake up it ain't gonna happen !!!! C O Y L P S holloway do the right thing & F@@K OFF