Berylson's backing in January pleases Millwall manager

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

IAN Holloway has praised Millwall chairman John Berylson for financing his January rebuild.

The Lions made eight additions to their squad during the transfer window, which closed on Monday, and Holloway could target further signings when the loan market opens next week.

Leeds midfielder Michael Tonge and Tottenham goalkeeper Jordan Archer joined until the end of the season before the 11pm deadline.

Berylson also forked out on contract settlements for Paul Robinson, Jermaine Easter, Josh Wright, Stephen Bywater and Scott McDonald during a hectic month.

Holloway had hoped to bring in one more striker and looked at several options playing in foreign leagues.

One possibility, Dutch second division forward Kevin van Veen, joined Scunthorpe instead after Holloway decided he did not know enough about the 23-year-old.

The Lions boss, who said Berylson would have fully supported a cash deal for a goalscorer, wants to broaden the club's recruitment network before the summer.

"We were in for lots of people and one or two of them fell at the final hurdle but I'm very pleased with the backing I had and the players we've brought in," Holloway said.

"The likes of van Veen we need to know more about and we didn't know him well enough. I wasn't ready to committ the chairman's money because we hadn't seen him enough.

"Without knowing about him and his character, it's difficult. Last summer, we were totally confident that Lee Gregory was the right one, without a shadow of a doubt.

"Gregory has come on in leaps and bounds and he will definitely score when I get this balance right.

"I will look at loans but in terms of the buying market, there wasn't anybody that I wanted to buy for a fair bit of money.

"I would've done, and the chairman would've given me the money if I'd found the right person to come, but there's no point getting somebody who isn't going to balance you out."

Holloway is looking to bring in loan cover for injured winger Paris Cowan-Hall, who might not play again this season.

"One thing I didn't get on Monday, which I feel we need, is someone who can run with the ball in the wide areas," he said.

"That was Cowan-Hall but now he's injured, so we've lost that. I'll have to replace that if I can."

31 thoughts on “Berylson's backing in January pleases Millwall manager

• February 5, 2015 at 10:27

well done JB for realising the clear out needed to happen sooner rather than later. always thought that February would make or break us when I looked at the fixtures. Onwards and Upwards, Keep the faith COYL,

millllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• February 5, 2015 at 10:31

Bring back Fred if the loan agreement allows which it should.

• February 5, 2015 at 11:01

@wall2wall: Why bring him back when he's doing well, playing every game and is happy at Wycombe just so he can come back and get 20 minutes, if that, every week? Fred isn't good enough yet for this league and he's not going to get better any more quickly by coming back. He needs experience and so do we at the moment. Oh and pace.

• February 5, 2015 at 12:03

If Cowan hall hadn't of got injured then I would of said keep him there as he won't get much game time.
        Now he is out for the season I would like to think that Fred could play in most games even if it is for 20 minutes as you say. He is championship standard already,I have no doubts about that personally.

• February 5, 2015 at 22:26

@wall2wall: unfortunately he can't come back due to the loan agreement.
          I see your point but have to disagree about him being championship standard. Far too light weight and him playing in league 2 every week is exactly what's needed. He'll prove his worth when he comes back.

• February 6, 2015 at 09:27

@lukesmithmfc:
            Shame he can't come back for me Luke.
            If Cowan Hall wasn't considered too lightweight then I don't see why Fred should be.
            Oh well, I hope to see him in a Millwall shirt again. Got my doubts.

• February 5, 2015 at 10:37

Don't like the look of those crutches JB.

I hope you don't have dodgy knees and plan to do a 'aary!

• February 5, 2015 at 10:48

This chairman not only funded a squad rebuild but he did it one one of the worse run of results I can remember. I totally respect the guy and glad to see that Ollie appreciates his value to us

• February 5, 2015 at 10:51

I'm happy for JB, for all his personal and financial commitment the man deserves some positive results from the club. I wanted Fred to come back initially but its probably best for his development to stay at Wycombe and play first team football week in, week out. Plus suddenly moving again could unsettle him. I think Gregory will be a serious goal threat next season, he still finding his feet at this level, its been quite a jump for him. Have a feeling Olly will bring in a decent quality striker on loan for the remainder of this season when the window opens up next week. We going to have a cracking second half of a season! COYL

• February 5, 2015 at 11:03

@Bexley_Lion: I totally agree about Gregory, he is showing signs of real quality and is already taking tough chances. The exciting thing about him is that we haven't seen him being regularly supplied with quality passes on a regular basis and he has potential to develop more as a pro. He will be our star player next season whichever division we find ourselves in .

• February 5, 2015 at 19:17

@Bexley_Lion: I'll have the same as your having !!!!!! No make mine a double ????) C O Y L ,,,,,, see you all sat ! Even taking the grand kids !!! Come on let's do it '!!!!

• February 5, 2015 at 11:02

No explanation there as there are other strikers out there

• February 5, 2015 at 11:06

Full respect for Berylson. Still pumps money in when going gets tough. We not be among the most wealthy in the the league but the chairman still feeds our club money when its required.

• February 5, 2015 at 11:32

It's good to hear I.H is concerned about wasting the chairman's money,i hope that means he won't squander it on deadbeats like Church or Varney.

• February 5, 2015 at 11:35

First we have had better chairmen who have put in far more money, Thorne and Burnage for instance. No doubt that Berylaon's heart is in the right place though.
    I agree with an above comment, get Fred back, Paris-Cowan is out for rest of season and the club is paying his wages. No wonder Wycombe are happy.

• February 5, 2015 at 13:34

@Peckhamlad: I don't understand the adulation for Berylson. I quite like the bloke and don't think he's been a bad chairman, but I don't think he's been a great one either and a lot of his actions aren't above scrutiny.

For a start, not living in the country, he relies too much on Ambler, who many people have a very low opinion of. Secondly, I think he's made one very good managerial appointment and more recently two very bad ones.

As for the team, our policy of quantity over quality on signings has been a false economy for far too long now. We’ve allowed managers to bring in far too many poor-quality free transfers and loans, when money might have been better spent on fewer higher-quality players. And don’t forget not all the money the club pays is Beylson’s – much of it ours too.

I wasn’t impressed with all the baloney about the regeneration scheme. After the dust had settled it didn’t look as though we had that strong a case and it left many fans wondering just how much the club (and people like the FOTB) were used by Berylson.

Finally, I still don’t like the way the consolidation of the Millwall Shares matter was handled. They might have been worthless, but many fans bought our shares with good intent and felt that had a stake in their club for life. The club might have saved a few bob, but was it really worth the ill-will generated?

Promotion back to the Championship was great, but we seemed to have gone backwards each year since under Berylson. Yes, it is a tougher league now with all the money from the Premiership. But never before have I known so many Millwall fans willingly accept the rubbish that’s been served up of late. And all this drivel about punching above our weight – in my time we’ve spent 30 seasons out of 48 at this level and two in the division above. It’s another new piece of PR spin by the new regime to justify why the football is so bad, the crowds so low and investment so minimal.

• February 5, 2015 at 11:44

" Kevin van Veen, joined Scunthorpe instead after Holloway decided he did not know enough about the 23-year-old."
    I'm sure what we read on the day, the guy had agreed terms with Scunthorpe because they showed interest in him first and he felt he owed it to them

• February 5, 2015 at 12:00

@brooker: The problem with the Kevin Van Veen incident is the amount of goals he was scoring in the Dutch div 2, so ask yourself where was mick harford & co ? Ollie says I didn't know enough of the guy !! fair enough but why not ! Scunthorpe obviously did & so goes another young promising striker , that could have done us a good job & you never know made us a few bob in the future.

• February 5, 2015 at 14:37

@Jingles: just sounds like that muppet on the apprentice this year who lost a pitch cos he called the bloke derrick 3 times then told everyone "oh yeah it was my decision to not buy that , because i know best yeah yeah yeah" not "I ballsed it up and gonna lie to you all"

• February 5, 2015 at 12:13

Total respect to JB for what he has done for the club so far. Do wonder though where he thinks he can take the club going forward in the next few years. Whether his ambition will match the cash he is comfortable in investing.
    From my little knowledge of this Kevin Van Veen. I believe it was probably right not to go for him, if we are not prepared to take a gamble along the same lines as Morrison (Sure I read on a Scunthorpe site he was only recently a part time footballer come plasterer!)
    Use this money for wages on a proven goal striker at Championship level that will hopefully keep us up and then review in the summer.
    Which brings me back to the original point not sure how much the total lose is for going down to div1, but would have thought half the amount would pay for a good striker on loan.

• February 5, 2015 at 12:34

Watched a very encouraging interview with JB on lions player the other day - he was talking about how he has approached business matters during his carrer - pre-millwall.. He was saying that knee jerk decisions and panicking wasn't his style and getting everybody working together and communicating to each other about 'what they need' is the way forward and has worked for him in the past. We're very lucky to have an owner like JB - he seems determined to make it work and push us forward. COYL.

• February 5, 2015 at 12:40

Fred not ready for us just yet. He will be though

• February 5, 2015 at 13:21

@benzo:
      He's only got 18 months left on his contract benzo which is worrying. They should of given him an extended contract before he left us to go on loan. He is banging the goals in for Wycombe and I would rather have him here with us because if somebody offers even 1 million for him in the summer and he only has one year left then I fear the worst.
      I'm praying that Holloway calls him back or at the very least get a new contract sorted before the end of the season so that if we do lose him it can be for a good few million.
      Fred is a special player. Don't mess this up Millwall.

• February 5, 2015 at 13:05

Its nice to see a chairman who spends time at our training ground as well - he has hasn't he? why else would he be on crutches!!

• February 5, 2015 at 16:55

Shame about Paris,would liked to have seen him get a chance but hopefully IH will do well in the loan window. Can JB do much more with ffp lurking in the background. Surely the likes of Bournemouth who don't get massive gates to cover their spending will fall foul?

• February 6, 2015 at 09:29

still need to dip in to the loan market for a striker, cb and now a winger.

Team for tomorrow.

Forde
    Cummings
    Hoover
    Beevers
    Harding
    Jimmy
    Williams
    Fabrini
    Tonge
    Gregory
    O'Brien

• February 6, 2015 at 09:34

every licking Berylsons @rse including Ollie......Millwall was here before and after the pair of them....I love Millwall and not for money...its just a buisness for them Berylson is a mini Glazier family using our club for prestige and tax loss its not costing him a penny.....Ollie has got himself a great job with better wages than we could dream of.....I hear it all the time from chairmen and managers how difficult it is to make ends meet....come in to the real world