Holloway: Leeds loanee's versatility will strengthen Millwall

IAN Holloway believes the versatility of Michael Tonge will strengthen Millwall's chances of staying in the Championship for another season.

Tonge joined the Lions on loan from Leeds before Monday's transfer deadline to give Holloway another option in midfield.

And speaking about the 31-year-old's arrival, Holloway said:

"Tonge can play anywhere in midfield – on the left, on the right, sitting or attacking – and that's vital because Nicky Bailey and Angel Martinez are coming back from injuries.

"Hopefully they will come back and I'll be spoilt for choice but Tonge is really experienced and really wanted to come.

"Nigel Gibbs worked with him at Leeds so he knows him really well and I'm delighted to be working with him.

"He's been a breathe of fresh air in training already and his running stats are very impressive."

32 thoughts on “Holloway: Leeds loanee's versatility will strengthen Millwall

• February 4, 2015 at 11:38

We definitely need a bit of nous and experience in the middle. We have missed Bailey. If Tongue can do the same job that Garvan did last season, it will make a difference.

• February 4, 2015 at 11:40

Welcome to Millwall Tonge.
    Looking forward to seeing you play a part in our move away from the relegation zone.
    Up The Wall.

• February 4, 2015 at 11:44

@wall2wall: Agree with that. We've got astrong midfield now and certainly, good enough to aim for a mid table position. Tonge is an aggressive ball winner which is what we've lacked. Given our budget, we sure as hell don't need any more in midfield or goalkeepers for that matter. I don't think there is one person on here who doesn't agree that it's up front where we're really lacking. Given the current options we've got we do need at least one hungry striker and the sooner he gets on board the better the team balance will be.

• February 4, 2015 at 12:09

@NICKOLA:
        Yep, I think he is a decent addition. We will hopefully get a forward in on loan but I am not writing off all our forward line as they should now at least have a better service and I do expect them all to start scoring. ( And that includes the Hoff. )
        Really looking forward to the last 18 games of the season.
        Roll on saturday.

• February 4, 2015 at 11:42

He could turn out to be ok. Worth a try and he does have more experience than any other midfielder we have at the moment. Could work well with fab.

• February 4, 2015 at 12:04

To be honest I think he will improve our midfield always liked him and think he can do better then Bailey .

• February 4, 2015 at 12:08

@John: If he can manage 3 full games on the bounce he has done better than Bailey.

• February 4, 2015 at 12:07

Thought he was older than 31,seems like he's been around for longer. So he's definitely got some good experience and will hopefully add something to our play.

• February 4, 2015 at 21:12

@harry2310: wasn't he very young when he played his first game for Sheffield United? I think Warwick used to play him as the substitute goal keeper if memory serves me right.

• February 4, 2015 at 12:08

A lot will hinge on what this guy has got left in the tank,if he can play the 'Bailey' role(on the pitch,not in the physio's room) he might be useful.The versatility quote worries me,i can imagine all sorts of weird ideas floating about in Holloways brain.

• February 4, 2015 at 12:49

Nice to know that Tonge wanted to come and play for us. Good attitude. We can never have enough of that from our players. Will slot in nicely next to Williams with Fab in front of them... Just pray no more injuries to key players because we need every one of them more than ever now!

• February 4, 2015 at 12:51

I will always give our players a chance but I'm just not convinced with Tonge. He may have experience but the last few season he has not done that well has he. He can't even get into a poor Leeds side at the moment. Never seen him as a tough tackling player in any position tbh. Just hope some of these opinions are right and I can put me hand up and say got this one wrong. Prove me wrong Tonge lol

• February 4, 2015 at 12:56

I do get what you are all saying on here about him, but he has never been the type of player to win a game for you from the middle of the park, but on the positive side he will help to stop us leaking weak goals at crucial time in the match hopefully, anyway welcome to the Den and good luck.

• February 4, 2015 at 13:01

Norris stop it your now making sweat and getting juddery, maybe he will have working in one of our useless catering out lets cos there's a position there for a bloody organiser.
    Well we now have a very decent looking defence and midfield, if the boys up top do get the supply and still don't score, get rid, I like Greggs and Maggie and even the hoff, and fuller has created nearly every goal he has scored for us himself, so there will be chances, however a goal thief is what we are after, I have no names to offer cos to tell the truth I don't give a ship about any players or teams unless they play for us or about to play us fkcu them all, but there surely is someone out there for us, we are like a geeky teenager covered in spots and blemishes waiting for a girl he can lose his virginity to, some one to come and love scoring goals for us, THAT ANALOGIE WAS FUKCING USELESS, SORRY, but you know what I mean.

• February 4, 2015 at 16:33

@terry the turk lion: I get what your saying. We would all prefer a stunner but will settle for a minger if they get us the goals to keep us up.

• February 4, 2015 at 13:16

Very good championship player always like him when he was at Sheffield utd hopefully just what we needed good luck coyl nolu

• February 4, 2015 at 13:17

I'm all for this signing. He is definitely a tough addition. My only concern though is with leeds struggling also at this stage of the season surely he should be getting the games there. Hipefully olly gets the best out of him. Welcome Michael! COYL!

• February 4, 2015 at 13:21

@BEASINGSTOKELION: FABBRINNI , THE HOOVER, CARLOS, couldn't get in their teams either, but they're great in ours . TONG will be fine, he's a decent high energy player, good addition .

• February 4, 2015 at 13:25

@ TERRY THE TURK: I loved that analogy tel, I keep laughing at it, well done mate.

• February 4, 2015 at 14:03

@bordersarebest0170:
      Cheers mate, sometimes they make sense even to me but end of it all. all that we all want is to back our team and have a bit of success every now and then and something to get excited about, like when your wife tells you on the phone that she is gonna shag the a*** off you tonight and when you get home there she is waiting in a beautiful new dress, make up, high heels, and Lust in her eyes and she's licking her lips, she takes your hand and places it gently on her breast so that you can feel her heart beating fast with excitement and anticipation, she leans in and whispers words of passion in your ear whist licking your ear lobe, she leads you to the bedroom and tells you to get undressed, you do as your told cos you are gonna get the best sex you ever had, she starts to undress and just before she slips out of her panties she turns out the light...........(.I'LL BACK IN A MINUTE...........................................).that's better, needed that, where was I, oh yes, she tells you that she wants to rub your tired back and shoulders, you do it cos your gonna get the best sex you ever had, then just before you turn over ON TO YOU BACKshe flips out the biggest dildo and shoves right up your jacksie, and says "I told you I was gonna shag the a*** off you just like you tried to do to me last night, TAKE THAT"
      then when your ready to give it to her large

• February 4, 2015 at 16:26

@terry the turk lion: Reminds me of the time I got a 20 yr old swedish girl to come over and give me a massage. She asked me to strip naked and to lay down on the bed face down. She worked me over and then asked me to turn over. I had one on the size of gibraltar so she asked me if I wanted a w***. I said yes and she said she'd be back in a minute. She returned and asked me if I'd finished yet.

• February 4, 2015 at 13:35

Very much liking the POSITIVITY on here today - you lot been on the peace pipe?!?!
    Welcome to MFC Tonge!

• February 4, 2015 at 13:46

Hope he is not made of glass like many of our "class" midfielders. We need stability in the team at this crucial stage not another member of the Bobby Backache team. Good luck and stay injury free

• February 4, 2015 at 14:04

ahhhhh MESSED UP THE LAST 2 LINES ,,,SORRY FOLKS

• February 4, 2015 at 14:06

He could be a Carlos Edwards type of signing, if he is we have done well.

• February 4, 2015 at 17:13

@ TERRYTHETURK: he's here all week

• February 4, 2015 at 17:57

Don't think tonge has been good since he's sheff u days! But hope he can do a decent job..still can't believe no striker came in! Would love to see a maynard,holt,becchio,wood..Someone with abit about them up front jus hope he pulls something out the bag,but fuc@ing NOT church or varney! With them 2 we're better off sticking with what we got!

• February 5, 2015 at 09:58

reg varney and bloody charlotte church what a combo but theres not point making a song and dance about it.

• February 5, 2015 at 09:59

I can't wait for all the oral sex jokes regarding Tonge.