Woolford could swap Millwall for Leeds before window shuts

MARTYN Woolford could leave Millwall to join Leeds United before the transfer window closes on Monday night.

Woolford has been left out of the Lions' last two squads and Ian Holloway revealed after Saturday's win at Nottingham Forest that the winger could now depart.

But Woolford's potential move to Elland Road is by no means a done deal, with Holloway prepared to bring the 29-year-old "back into the fold" if it falls through.

Millwall may need Woolford to stick around after Lee Martin was taken to hospital with a rib injury he sustained during a heavy fall against Forest.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen with Martyn," said Holloway. "Leeds' manager wants him but I'm not sure [if he can sign him].

"I've had to be open with Martyn and say 'this might be a possibility' because he's out-of-contract and they'll pay him more than I will, eventually.

"He's a Yorkshire lad as well.

"But if that doesn't happen, he knows I will bring him back into the fold – that's not an issue. I have to be open and honest with him.

"I would've wanted to give Martyn a new contract but I'm not sure I can afford that. The ones I've moved out the way are my higher earners so that I can do other things.

"But if Martyn and Leeds doesn't happen he might well get a place in my team, particularly if Lee has now gone and done something.”

Holloway is hoping to strengthen his squad before the 11pm deadline on Monday but also has the option of bringing in fresh faces during the loan window.

"I'm looking to add if I can," he said. "I've got a couple of things but whether or not they'll come off, I don't know.

"But there's also loans after that.

"It's only the Premier League boys who can't sign players after Monday. We can cheat the system with 93-day emergency loans."

31 thoughts on “Woolford could swap Millwall for Leeds before window shuts

• January 31, 2015 at 19:22

see ya! another not good enough out the door!! thanks for your service but we must move on, best of luck.

• January 31, 2015 at 19:41

@TONY BLOCK28:

I hope there is no stupid slagging off of woolford - always tried his best with us - has his strengths and weaknesses - time to move on perhaps

• January 31, 2015 at 20:13

@timchimes: As usual Tim, I agree. I do feel MW has gone backwards under Holloway.

• January 31, 2015 at 21:36

@Adsy77777:

yes like a lot of players under IH , he struggled to understand his role and we didn't play to his strengths 0 just lacked that extra class to win us games

• February 1, 2015 at 09:25

@timchimes: won't s*** him off, his goals kept us up last season, but he is not good enough this term, wish him well, we move on!!

• January 31, 2015 at 19:33

Whether good enough or not will there be clause that prevents him from playing against us - cause you know what will happen.......

• January 31, 2015 at 19:38

I am not sure if Woolford is worth another contract. This season has been a shadow of the player who won the Player of the Season award. It may be that he has been affected more than others by playing in an unsettled and unhappy team. Possibly that is the case, I don't know, but I don't know if he is worth another bigger deal. If Leeds want him and we can get cash, why not sell him. IH has shown in this window he can identify and get better players anyway

• January 31, 2015 at 19:57

@junkmale: Leeds have transfer embargo....they cannot pay for new players....can only sign loanees or free agents

• February 1, 2015 at 00:15

@eio: they can sign as long as they sell a player of equal or higher value as I understand

• January 31, 2015 at 19:49

What e ill be will be.
    If he goes ee get a little fee if he stays then so be it.
    Think its fare to say although not the most consistent performer he tries his best and if he wants to go then let him.

• January 31, 2015 at 19:53

always liked woolford , always tried hard , and scored some goals in the big games , fulham watford , qpr last year , think he is worth keeping , if ollie can pick his confidence up , he can be good for the run in , like last year, now we have a decent back four , it will help him, would give him a new contract ,

• January 31, 2015 at 20:14

Can see why people like him but never quite seems to deliver on a constant bases. Not slagging him off but if he went it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Only my opinion and wish him well whatever happens.

• January 31, 2015 at 20:15

Woolford was our top scorer last season and he is a championship player but not been he's best season and would be best if he moved on

• February 1, 2015 at 09:56

Make your mind up lh get rid of dead wood and get Harford a assistant with a fast motor

• January 31, 2015 at 20:23

Can anyone tell me what decisions holloway HAS made, he just seems to make 'sound bites' and general comments!. Nelson will be captain against reading, then chose Forde, Shittu IS Millwall, now he on his way out, now its "IF Woolford and leeds dont happen, i might bring him back into the squad' !!!! and if he thinks Hoff is the answer to our goal scoring problem !!! But great result today, injury made him play Upson at last with Jimmy and Williams, Hoovield is the main man that IMO has lifted the players as he is class, so i hope he now keeps as settled team as possible. Well done the 682 !

• January 31, 2015 at 20:31

@rowanonthewing7: It amazes me that it escapes you that he has: shipped out seven player in the last four weeks, with more to go soon or in the summer; signed a great centre back; signed a decent winger; signed a centre forward who may or may not work out (Hoff); signed a great creative midfielder; signed a decent left back; signed a decent right back; brought on a great youth player (Sid).
      I think that's a fair bit. Have you been on the p*** all afternoon or something?

• January 31, 2015 at 21:04

Personally I'd keep him, always gives his all and never hides when things aren't going well.
    Hope we can sort something out but if he does go I wish him all the best.

• January 31, 2015 at 21:56

We haven't missed Woolford. We certainly haven't missed Malone, Wright, Easter or Bywater etc.etc. At the end of the day, an honest a player as Woolford is he should go if he wants to. What we DO need is a tenacious ball winner in midfield, a decent striker to supplement Gregory and thereby create a two pronged attack. The Hoff can p*** off -Not even league one standard. If anyone thinks he is then lets see if his next move is upwards or downwards, Fuller is a good player to bring on for the last 30 mins but tnot a starter. I can see Fred being recalled due to injuries. Shittu, Chaplow, Hoyte et al please do us all a favour and fall on your swords. Dunne-I still think you're not up to it on a regular basis but last two games-I bow in your direction- you've done well.
    Holloway- You have fiddled around with your tactics, squad rotations using players that are not good enough but at least finally, finally you've seen the light and you can thank 90% of the GENUINE Millwall supporters on here who have an opinion that may not always be the same as the other 10% but at least we're on here with an opinion and don't crawl out from under the rocks when things change. To them, I'd say I'd rather be a lion for a day than a lamb for a year.
    I told my missus I'm off the beer until we win. Tonight a few cold ones,a Millwall flag belllowing in the wind with a lion triumphant and eternal hope.
    THERE'S A NEW MILLWALL IN TOWN NOW.

• February 1, 2015 at 11:16

@NICKOLA: Jury's out as to whether we have a new Millwall in town but the signs are already promising. Win against Huddersfield is a must though. Agree with most of what you say Nickola but I'd keep Woolford; he is a 100%er and was our best player last season. This time he's been messed around in a big way positionally and systemwise. Certainly adds to the bench but if he wants regular starts maybe best for him if he goes. The Hof is always going provide strong opinions. There was one great cross to him yesterday when he just didn't jump and try to steer the ball goalwards and it shot high into the crowd. The only positive is that he does distract defenders and is more capable than say Gregory in being on his own up front. Puts pressure on those behind him however to score the goals. The Hoo and Fabbrini look great - need to be plans to see if there is a way to bring them in permanently.

• February 1, 2015 at 16:56

I was there yesterday what you are saying is crap, when gregs came one he done his runs into space fabbrini knew where he was going.To me once they get a understanding they will both click

• January 31, 2015 at 22:11

He hasn't given much this season, his best game was fulham away, after that he seems to have gone a bit backwards.
    Tries but just hasn't got the quality needed for the championship.

• February 1, 2015 at 00:03

Why send him to leeds whats he ever done to deserve that.

• February 1, 2015 at 07:28

When he first joined thought he was one of the worst players I had ever seen but his goals helped us stay up and he was quality last year. I'm indifferent to wooly but he's always likely to get a goal which we severely lack!

• February 1, 2015 at 10:06

Not to sorry if he goes but a good player as part of the squad. I agree with some who say he looks out of salts this year and I also think it looks like Ollies revamp is worrying the guy's out of contract and on the higher wages, might also want to go back up north. Interesting with Malone going who in my opinion was the same situation, watched FL show and he scored an OG and Derby's second came from a cross from their right with Malone nowhere near the guy who swung it over.

• February 1, 2015 at 10:12

Don't think he's played that well this season but with Martin injured again & Cowan-hall out don't think we can let him leave unless we bring another winger in. the only way we should do business with that pile of s*** is if we get a straight swap with Austin.

• February 1, 2015 at 12:29

@block 28: we should do what they did at the start of the season.and ask for a ridicous fee for him

• February 1, 2015 at 12:22

I don't think that letting last seasons top goal scorer (probably for peanuts too) go is a good idea. Not the greatest player to wear the shirt but certainly not the worst either plus he usually puts in a shift too. As usual there is probably some low life scum c@@t behind all of this (some people call them agents) but we will just have to wait and see what happens. Ollie despite what he said about keeping the door open probably doesn't fancy him but then again if he stays he could end up as yet another one of our new captains come the end of the season.............

• February 1, 2015 at 13:22

Dutchman signed for Scunthorpe, Michael Tonge may come in an exchange deal for Woolford, fifty points normal target for survival so before Reading game 7W6D7L needed, cross 1D&1W, off, well done all involved at Forest