Millwall boss frustrated by inconsistent decisions at home

IAN Holloway says it feels as though Millwall "never play at home" because of inconsistent decisions made by referees.

The Lions boss hit out at official Andrew Madley for sending off Sid Nelson in last night's 0-0 draw with Reading, although the club will not be submitting an appeal to the Football Association.

But Holloway is just as frustrated by the 50-50 calls that go against his side as he is by major decisions such as red cards and penalties.

Speaking after the stalemate with the Royals, he pointed to one particular incident that got him worked him.

He said: "Diego Fabbrini gets tripped up, play goes on and five seconds late their fella falls over just like Fabbrini did and they get a free kick. We didn't.

"Now for me, that happens far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far too many times.

"Referes are supposed to be impartial and that wasn't consistent. I see it week in, week out.

"Sometimes we lack discipline – like when Stefan Maierhofer smashed into someone, which was ridiculous – and get a bit carried away with the passion of the fans, but we don't get decisions.

"Most home teams do. We don't. Kenny Jackett told me it was like this but I just can't believe it. It feels like we never play at home."

51 thoughts on “Millwall boss frustrated by inconsistent decisions at home

• January 28, 2015 at 14:54

The referees we get must be told to give an advantage to the away team. No other way 15736 of them in a row could be this bad!

• January 28, 2015 at 15:02

I think the refereeing decisions are very consistent....ALWAYS against us.

• January 28, 2015 at 17:58

@Jim28: This far far comment to the press sums IH up in a nutshell for me, he has a good and valid point but he has to make it about him and his little sound bites for his mates at Soccer AM. Why can the bloke not just make his point and move on? No, it's all about him. Zzzzz

• January 28, 2015 at 19:32

@JonnyBanks: I agree with you mate. He needs to make his point and move on as everything he says ends up sounding like a joke. Would Wenger or Fergie repeat a word half a dozen times - no. Do they get taken seriously by the FA - yes.

• January 28, 2015 at 19:48

@tallchap18: I am in the Dislike crew now. I am not sure if I like or dislike that? Maybe it's a moral victory.

• January 28, 2015 at 23:07

@Jim28: I think thae his starting 11 plus 1 sub for next game

• January 28, 2015 at 15:07

I think most supporters do think they get the sticky end of the stick with refs BUT we really seem to. For both Kenny and Ollie, who are experienced and, I guess, respected managers to have notice it there really must be something in it. I have always felt the passion of the fans means that ref's consciously think that they will not be intimidated, I also think that calling the officials names etc does not help but then what set of fans do not do this it just seems at the Den they punish us for it.

• January 28, 2015 at 15:21

@lennie the lion: millwall should appeal the decision.cos this time the ref madr a delibrate mistake..1st he stop play.(so the reading player should have stopped).2nd he threw his arm across sids face .that is why he kicked out.

• January 28, 2015 at 15:36

@Jim28: I agree they need to review the incident but appealing the ban isn't going to help or get it rescinded! Funny how the arm in the face and not playing to the whilstle went unpunished for that Hector!!

• January 28, 2015 at 15:21

I can honestly say ive been watching Millwall for over 30 years and anyone who thinks that the refs and linesman are not given some kind of guidelines from the fa are very naïve , last night as always there were some decisions made that were almost laughable you would see a better job being done at a kids game on a sunday .
    Im sure our reputation doesn't help but in all that time ive seen a handful of officals who I would say were unbiased so much so whenever we get a half decent one we clap them off

• January 28, 2015 at 16:21

@mfc2u: I was listening to the commentary on the Lions player but had to keep switching from the Millwall commentary to the Reading commentary as I kept losing the Millwall comentary, and even they were saying how bad the officials were and how hard done by we were and both agreed that it was a blatant hand ball, so its not just us being paranoid the oppositions local radio broadcasters are seeing it as well. This has happened at various other games also.

• January 28, 2015 at 18:40

that sounds about right even my family who are spurs we took them to Millwall v Leeds a couple of seasons back and they noticed it straight away @Sealion:

• January 28, 2015 at 15:30

Every year we start the season with minus 8 pts due to the officiating we will face.Gotta give IH a pat on the back for having the bottle to raise the issue.I think it has got worse since we defeated the F.A. over the West Ham charges.Nelson's tackle was very rash and possibly have warranted a red,but the ref didn't even give himself a moment to assess the situation,he was quicker on the draw than clint eastwood.

• January 28, 2015 at 15:59

WE DON'T CARE ( Or do we? ).
    Millwall FC against the world.
    Suits me fine as they are never going to change so I would rather not give them the satisfaction of moaning about it.

• January 28, 2015 at 16:01

Its b*******, year in year out. Corrupt.

• January 28, 2015 at 16:31

welcome to our world ollie. Why dont Ambler go and chat up one of his FA buddies

• January 28, 2015 at 16:32

But moaning about it to us is not going to achieve anything! We need to have someone put together an entire portfolie over the course of this season and assess all the big penatly shouts we have had which have not been given, offsides, fouls here and there, and compare it to a few other teams in our league, and submit it to the FA. Something that actually proves how few decisions we get and proves that it certainly does not "even out" for Millwall because of our reputation. It will take a video man with access to all the footage a few days to knock something like that up. Moaning here and there will get us absolutely nowhere.

• January 28, 2015 at 16:42

was this the same ref we had at watford ? the worst ref i've ever seen

• January 28, 2015 at 17:34

We always get s*** REFS! It would be nice to get one that actually gives us stuff to aswell as the other team not just turn a bind eye to us , and the lines man ain't any better half the team

• January 28, 2015 at 17:36

Jose Mourinho in his news conference added: "There is a campaign against Chelsea. I don't know why there is this campaign and I do not care. "Everybody knows it was a penalty." Not only us then.

• January 28, 2015 at 23:37

@lennie the lion: ref also missed Costa twice stamping on players which should have been a red, down to 10 and may well have lost to Liverpool.

So mourinho and his Chelsea victimised talk is a load of b*******.

• January 28, 2015 at 17:49

ROBERT MADLEY. Now this is a so called ref I've written about on here in the past this season. He has made some awful decisions against us in the past , and wrote that he comes from WAKEFIELD ,YORKSHIRE, just outside LEEDS. Now I don't know who he supports but LEEDS is the biggest club close to where he comes from so why wouldn't he, what do you all think, I know what I think. I'm not necessarily thinking about the sending off, but all the free kicks he gave them and for the same offences he didn't give us. I think there is some corruption going on because have you noticed how the lino's, sorry ( ASSISTANT REFEREES ) never wave their flag and get involved , they don't see anything either unless it's one of ours misbehaving , then as if by magic 20/20 vision, CHEATS ,all of em.

• January 28, 2015 at 20:38

@bordersarebest0170:
      Tell him to drop in The Broken Bridge or Big Fellas Pontefract ! I will question why he hates MILLWALL so much?

• January 28, 2015 at 18:44

Most of this is just plain daft. As a professional IH really should know the 'Rules of Association Football' in which it clearly states 'if, in the opinion of the referee'. Note 'in the opinion of the referee' not 'in the opinion of managers who are failing and looking for an excuse'. It is subjective but it's how it's always been. Grow up!

• January 29, 2015 at 09:31

@Chipplefuddywick: I have said it under a different headline, hug will say it again, that I thought this ref was probably the best I have seen at the Den for a good long while. Sid's red card was a red all day long, and in my view the only blatant thing the ref didn't punish was the dive by Reading's Paddle Pogregrebniak or however you spell his name. He wasn't "busy" and let the game flow, noting bits and bobs and having quiet words with players off the ball.
      Expect him to make the Premier League soon.

• January 28, 2015 at 18:50

When I first read that headline I thought IH was talking about his own decisions in team selection inconsistency. However unfortunately at Millwall we've come to expect that from the refs. It's one of two things

1 The refs want to make a name for themselves. This is either for the FA referees selection panel or just for their mates. If a ref can show that he will not be intimidated by themost passionate fans in England, then he is trying to prove that he will not be intimidated by the likes of Mourinio and Wenger etc. That way he might get up to the dizzy heights of the premier league.
    If it's just for his mates or for his bird, or bloke, then he can proudly say, I gave a dodgy penalty at Millwall. Dirty scummy club etx etc and no one did nothing or said anything.

Secondly there is a conspiracy against us. I'm not convinced that there is unless certain matches apply ie league positions or cup games. The FA wouldn't want a repeat of the Wigan Wembley match anytime soon as it might jeopardise their money hungry hamds from gaining sponsorship and support from the super rich which gradually takes the game away from the reach of fans, or what they see as necessary evils. All the clubs with money are now tourist clubs which attract rich often middle class people and the true fans are pushed aside. Why would the FA want us in the limelight? There aint no rich middleclass or foriegn investors down Bermondsey. I don't think this is the case though as we have had some refs down the den which have been equally inept with odd decisions made against both teams.

I think they just want to make a name for themselves. If you're down the pub with your mates or trying to give it the biggun it probably sounds a lot better to say I sent a Millwall player off at the den than it does to say I gave a corner at Brentford even though I wasn't sure.

NOLUWDC

• January 28, 2015 at 19:36

@southlondon1885: South London I always enjoy your posts as you talk sense. I have to be a pedant and say we have a rich foreign investor...he is the chairman! Other than that you are 100% spot on

• January 29, 2015 at 09:26

@tallchap18: I'll take that thanks. I know JB would potentially fall into the rich foreign category however I was really referring to the Arab/Russian type. They launder their dirty money here wanting to change team colours and names, traditions that have stood in most cases for over a century and the FA allow it. If they allow it why would it surprise anyone that a ref might well take a few quid to award a penalty or send someone off? You know another thing too that proper riles me, when one of then numbnuts makes an error in the prem, rather than get suspended they get relegated to ref lower league games for a month or so. Proof if it was ever needed that the FA is only interested in the big boys and would gladly like to wash its hands of the three lower leagues. How can coming last in the premier league be awarded with 90million quid? At some stage there might be a revolution much like AFC Wimbledon who weren't having it and started again.

• January 28, 2015 at 19:05

There is suppose to be a referee's assessor in the stand for every football game, is it not possible for the FA to be open enough to publish his/her report or make it available after a game, surely we all would like to know what their findings are. And it's about time referee's stop hiding behind that old chestnut of 'I didn't see it' Well did the linesman see it, I doubt it as they just seem to be there for throw in's and offside's anything else and yes you've guessed it..................they didn't see it. So if Costa can be judged by TV can we not show our games to the FA and ask them to comment on why we get punished for so many fouls, when the away team gets away Scot free for committing the same fouls we have been punished for.

• January 28, 2015 at 19:28

Millwall have and will always play against 12 men. Keep that in mind when you take your seat. That way when the ref calls a free kick a sending off. The bitter taste in your mouth will not be so bad. That said I thought last night was a much improved performance . Coyl

• January 28, 2015 at 19:48

I don't think the comment, however stupid he made it sound, needed to be made at all IMO, just concentrate on your new players your team selection/style of play and getting a decent CF, stop all the bollock talk and leave the Ref slagging to the fans

• January 28, 2015 at 19:56

I was well impressed with hooiveid, (think thats how you spell it) the full backs just give um a chance, shame about nelson he looked gutted, but he'll learn, paris I don't think had enough time to shine, I just hope ih has a top striker up he's sleave to surprise us.

• January 28, 2015 at 21:22

@foxy: I like him. A proper defender. With regards to getting a forward.... No chance! Who is out there? Who would come? Who could we afford? If we were going to do it then it would have been done by now. We blew it on multiple occasions in recent times with Lambert, Austin and with Wood when he was on fire for us.

Our record transfer is still Paul Goddard from I think 1988. The likes of Simon Church and lower league gambles are all we get at best.

Too much blind faith on here. Would gladly be surprised by anything other than that.... But I won't be. Remember this in may all the dislikers.

• January 28, 2015 at 21:25

@foxy: YES, SO DO I FOXY,WE PLAYED REALLY WELL,BUT DEFINATELY NEED A GOOD MAN TO PUT THE BALL IN THE NET!( DONT FORGET 13/03/15)NO ONE LIKE US,WE DONT CARE.STORMIN' NORMAN. PS.HAVE YOU HEARD FROM ALDO?

• January 28, 2015 at 20:17

That interview is a right right right right right right right right right right right right load of self promotion the show pony.

• January 28, 2015 at 20:45

We have always been given S**t decisions by refs for years, every manager and most loan players have commented on it. I have taken my brother in law (chelsea fan) and my mate (scum whu fan) to games and both have agreed we get stitched up time and time again. Kenny commented that he was getting a regular phone call from the refs head guy to apologize. Its about time some p**** from either the fa or league does something about it. I agree IH doesn't do us any favours with his quips for the press.

• January 28, 2015 at 22:43

what a load of nonsence, every club and their fans think they are hard done by....look at the Swansea masnager recently talking about the conspiracy against them, Wenger after every game moans about the ref....its what fans do .....personally i thought Sid was at least reckless ......and although he may have stayed on if he was shown a bit more benefit of the doubt, I am not shocked that he was sent off.

Alas this is just one of Ollies smoke screens to mask the fact that we have quietly slipped to five points from safety. Last years magic run was a one off miracle that will not be repeated...luckily for Holloway he still has enough apologists who now like the 'shape of the team' and would follow him over the cliff.......Milton Keynes get ready

• January 28, 2015 at 22:47

Does any one seriously consider this FA directive conspiracy theory.....and not one of the hunreds of refs involved has ever broken rank and spilt the beans.....it would make them a fortune, and throw the game into absolute turmoil.....organized match fixing and betting implications would bring masssive criminal proceedings.....next you will be suggesting that JF Kennedy never walked on the moon

• January 28, 2015 at 23:10

@tonytowneronthewing: Exactly. Blaming anything remotely related to
      a conspiracy is laughable. It's our mess. It's our ill indiscipline, it's our 4-5 team changes game after game, it's our lack of goals!!!!

Get realistic

• January 29, 2015 at 09:35

@JonnyBanks: well in that case we have been mostly s*** for the 50 years I have been watching Wall. We do not get the rub of the green it's a fact. We are currently s*** no matter who he picks, hopefully that can be sorted this window. His comments about Fabbrini where spot on, where you there to see that ridiculous fouls situation. It was so blatant it stank. Fabbrini us the skillful sort of lightweight who will get any team free kicks, but not Millwall. How come ?

• January 28, 2015 at 23:54

Apparently Woodford is going to Leeds on loan till end of season with prospect of signing for the c##ts

• January 29, 2015 at 09:31

That's why we sing that doing H, we expect no favours from anyone. We need to appoint an independent stato to see if the facts stack up. Then if they do we need to take action against the FA. In court if need be. I'm being a bit of a drama queen and all scouse, but if the club are seriouse and think it's unfair then we need it sorting.

• January 29, 2015 at 11:08

Ok he hasn’t always got the same way of going about things as some on here would like, or necessarily understand, but what it IH doing? He’s standing up for his, and OUR, club.

Sid’s challenge was rash & a red all day long in my book. But we do keep getting stiffed by refs down at The Den and something needs to be done.

Is he better off keeping silent? No. That’s not how you address a problem, by keeping silent about it is it? Or constantly whinging about conspiracies either. You’d sound like a fool and get ridiculed or dismissed by the FA out of hand. You have to stand up and make it known. And Holloway is doing that. You get an issue like this resolved by nibbling away at it slowly, with tenacity and a dogged spirit that we expect from our players on the pitch. He’s using his press profile to Campaign for Millwall on this problem and raise it to the team of officials on the day, the Referee Assessor in the stand, the F.A. panels & big wigs and is trying to garner support from other managers like Kenny to boot.

He’s in it for the long haul. To get something done about it. And I for one can get behind that, despite the dodgy soundbites.

• January 29, 2015 at 16:04

I'm frustrated with inconsistent management decisions