Preview: Millwall vs. Reading

PARIS Cowan-Hall is hoping to pull on a Millwall shirt for the first time against Reading tonight after overcoming a calf injury.

Cowan-Hall was signed from Wycombe Wanderers at the start of the month but picked up an injury the day before his expected debut at Blackpool on January 10.

The winger has now completed a rehab program and taken part in two sessions since returning to training at the end of last week.

The 24-year-old is likely to be on the bench when the Royals come to town this evening.

Boss Ian Holloway is also boosted by the return of Shaun Williams from a four-match suspension, while defender Mark Beevers is available again after a ban.

Southampton loanee Jos Hooiveld is in line to make his debut after joining the club yesterday.

Carlos Edwards (knee) and Nicky Bailey (calf) are the only players in the treatment room.

January signings Shaun Cummings, Dan Harding, Diego Fabbrini and Stefan Maierhofer are all expected to be involved.

For Reading, right back Chris Gunter is a doubt with a twisted ankle.

Danny Guthrie (groin), Hope Akpan (shoulder) and Anton Ferdinand (calf) are definitely out.

25 thoughts on “Preview: Millwall vs. Reading

• January 27, 2015 at 11:30

Holloway has already stated that Nelson will play tonight so on that basis-
    Forde
    Cummings-Nelson-Hoovield- Harding
    Maggie.-Williams.-Fabrinni.-Conan hall
    Hoff- Greggs

See that Hoovield passed his medical at the training ground. Let's hope that involved a bit more than blowing up a balloon and doing the hokey cokey.
    To all the new players-Good luck.

• January 27, 2015 at 11:57

Gutted ferdinand us not making an appearance.

• January 27, 2015 at 12:14

Must win game nothing else will do. A good win and we're back in the race confidence will be high with the new players. Comon you lions

• January 27, 2015 at 12:20

No two ways about it we need a win tonight,our season starts here. The team owe us a good performance with passion and pride,so get out there and give us a win,its long overdue. Good luck Wall. COYL.

• January 27, 2015 at 12:38

Agree we have got to the stage where it is a must win game.
    We have lost 5 League games on the trot and this has to stop.
    Remember lose tonight and Rotherham win means we are SIX points behind ( 7 points really with our poor GD).
    That would take 3 wins at least to catch up - And we have only WON 5 all season.
    COYL.

• January 27, 2015 at 12:50

Please start with Cowan Hall.
    I know he's had a calf injury but he's 24 years old and trained all week so go for it.
    I want to get at them from the off.
    I think it's going to be a cracking night at the Den. We've had a such a crap time of it but I feel the out's and in's have lifted everybody from staff to supporters. I personally cannot wait for kick off.
    Sid Nelson leading his beloved Millwall out as Captain again. The stuff of dreams.
    I love this football club and I am going to give them every ounce of support that I have as always.
    Roll on 7.45 pm.

• January 27, 2015 at 13:35

Looking forward to tonight with a new found enthusiasm and I'm seriously hoping I don't have to be on the train home feeling disappointed again. I just hope the new players get a chance to prove themselves tonight then keep changing everything around again. I like the team Nikola put up earlier however IH seems to love Martin so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting line up although I'd rather not see him at all. COYL massive 3 points tonight please. Lets get the Den rocking (well the 8000 who usually turn up)

• January 27, 2015 at 13:47

I have my pre-match optimism once again, I really hope the new players can give us the boost we need to win tonight and I really think they will.

We really do have to after recent results for other sides just above us (Leeds and Brighton), 3 points for us and our old friend Liam Feeney can help Bolton beat Rotherham, leaves it all to play for especially with Rotherham away next month.

Come on you Lions!!!

• January 27, 2015 at 14:06

Maggie's done enough to warrant a start lately & it'll do his confidence the world of good also knowing PCH is fit, bring PCH on later to liven it up, if need be. Mon u wall!!!!

• January 27, 2015 at 14:31

"The Royals coming to town"?
    Hopefully they can't wait to get the f*** out of Dodge City
    after a beating.
    Maybe some of the new guys will bring some spirit and enthusiasm
    to the squad tonight, and the stench from those outed,
    a distant memory.
    Good luck lads!

• January 27, 2015 at 14:36

Got a little cheeky grin thinking about tonight's game reckon it'll be a good night. Gutted can't be there cause of me night shift but confident you and the boys will get the job done.
    Will ollie go 442 or now he's got some fresh legs will he stick with his
    4231 ? I think he'll go 4231 if so I'm worried who partners Williams, obviously Jimmy deserves another game but as much as we all love him I don't think he's the answer. It's ok a couple games here and there but history has proved given a decent run of games teams find out how to play round him. He should be used tactically imo. If not him then who? Don't think Bailey when/if fit can play with him as they kept getting in each others way when they did play so I'd go with Powell. He's young fresh and eager to play for the shirt and is young enough to listen.
    All the activity this window suggests we're gearing up for league one but hope I'm proved wrong. Still need a goal scorer desperately and a decent young keeper.
    Tonight I'd go with
    Forde
    Cummings Nelson hooiveld harding
    Powell Williams
    Cowan - hall fabrinni guaye
    Gregory
    COYLS gets the 3 points and send the faithful home happy

• January 27, 2015 at 15:19

Lets hope we see Paris tonight im pretty optimistic we will have a good crowd so lets get behind the lads and show the new players just how loud we can be when needed , 3-1 Millwall with Paris getting the winner

• January 27, 2015 at 15:21

Feeling optimistic about tonight but in all fairness i dont think sid nelson at the heart of the back 4 is good for us, If you keep a close eye on him and went to the ipswich match you'll notice how lightweight he is and if we are going to get out of this S*** heap we are in then i would like to see a experienced back 4 rather than a experimental back 4.
    Going forward I would like to Ricky fuller start as i think again experience of his Calibre is vital for us to start scoring goals, Gregory hasn't really done much for me since signing and personally i think it may be a bit much of a jump for him.
    On the plus side its good to see Marquis out on loan scoring (Maybe worth a recall) .
    Also i see people love to use David Forde as a scape goat behind the goal, I can understand the not pumping it forward early from his hands as realistically we all know the ball will only come straight back and invite pressure straight back on us.
    I PRAY FOR 3 POINTS - COME ON WALL

• January 27, 2015 at 15:54

@Pattyberry:
      What a load nonsense, the reason we went two down to Ipswich was forde lack of form at the moment and also 8 changing, s to th side .
      I would not start fuller . A because he is not a 90 min player , and because of this the crowd get on his back very quickly ,
      B because of his reaction to the crowd away at Blackpool .
      Gregory has great movement but is not used in the right way , down the channels, balls in to the box ,
      Ipswich at home as soon as Powell got the ball big punt up to the hoff , which I suspect he was told to do ( in effective )
      Marquid has found his level at gillingham , stay there get a nice living.

• January 27, 2015 at 16:13

@Luvofmylife:

Not Nonsense in the slightest, Leaving your top scorer on the bench makes 0 sense, This is the championship, Im sorry but Gregory is not there to win headers in the box nor does he have the pace to get in behind, he brings nothing to the attack. he does not carry a ariel challenge nor does he pose pace or strength. Forde hasnt been great of recent but 1. We wont get anyone better at the moment and 2. starting kids in front of him wont help him or the team. At Ipswich nelson was manhandled at every corner. Mark my words it will happen again tonight if we are not careful. Marquis is as good as Gregory, Whats the difference between marquis's Millwall passion and nelsons Millwall passion?? Nothing and there Ability as a footballer is the same.

• January 27, 2015 at 15:25

Bet there gutted Gunter is out and we now have Cummings so both lb and lw better attack hard tonight

• January 27, 2015 at 15:36

Big turnround tonight!3-0 to millwall!COYL!!!

• January 27, 2015 at 16:59

Gutted cant be there. Have to settle for aldos lack lustre text commentary

• January 27, 2015 at 17:05

@LUVOMYLIFE: you accuse PATTYBERRY of talking nonsense when he gives us his opinion and then write a load of your own, mmmmmmm

• January 27, 2015 at 17:33

Tonight' is the night to judge Holloway on how far we have come thought January window. Good luck to one and all ,,, COME ON YOU LIONS

• January 27, 2015 at 17:38

With the apparent cull (should have happened last Summer), and new signings, it is a team that has an excuse not to gel so although I'd love to win a "must win" game, I'd accept progress. If we don't win, I hope some are not going to destroy the confidence of new players from the sidelines making them wonder why they have come here.

• January 27, 2015 at 18:05