Millwall boss: McDonald won't be the last January departure

IAN Holloway anticipates further departures from his squad in the coming days following the termination of Scott McDonald's contract last week.

McDonald had played more minutes for the Lions than any other outfield player so far this season but was offered a settlement to cancel his deal early.

The Australian followed Paul Robinson, Josh Wright, Stephen Bywater, Scott Malone, Jermaine Easter and Matthew Briggs through the exit door at The Den.

And Holloway is planning more cuts to his playing staff before the end of the month.

"I've still got too many options and I'll narrow those down by next week for all sorts of reasons," he said. "We need a better balance and to give people some clarity.

"I'm paid to make decisions and some of these decisions I need to make.

"I'm looking at all of my higher earners and considering whether their contracts are going to be renewed.

"If they're not going to be renewed, I'm going to let them go because we need to reallocate our budget in the summer."

On McDonald, Holloway added: "Scott has played quite well this season but as a manager you're paid to make decisions.

"Scott did whatever I asked of him and I thank him for his effort and wish him all the very best for the future."

Briggs, meanwhile, will spend the final six months of his contract on loan Colchester.

"Briggs needs to play," Holloway said. "He wasn't going to play much here and he knew that.

"The kid deserves a chance to play and I don't feel we're the right club for him. Mark Beevers can cover left back."

15 thoughts on “Millwall boss: McDonald won't be the last January departure

• January 27, 2015 at 10:03

I am glad to hear that Beevers might be staying, he's not had the best season but none of our defenders have really. with a good partner next to him Beevers is good.

• January 27, 2015 at 10:12

@glyngo: I agree, Glyngo. It would be preferable for us if Beevers were to stay but I do get the feeling that this is just a sales pitch by IH. Who knows where players' minds are, but to me Beevers hasn't looked happy this season. As a player he has been really inconsistent, and that may be due to the fact that he hasn't had a decent run to build a partnership. I still rate him as a decent player, but he is not irreplaceable

• January 27, 2015 at 10:39

@junkmale: yeah he needs to be picked alongside a regular back 3 so they can build some consistency. Question is, does he want to stay?

• January 27, 2015 at 12:53

@junkmale:
        I think he wanted that move back up north to Rotherham and was dissapointed not to get it and it's showing in his play. If your not 100% happy it will affect your game.

• January 27, 2015 at 10:24

Does this mean beevers will play lb saturday against forest..

• January 27, 2015 at 10:32

@Jim28: It appears so..... I'm not sure that he can be the long term cover option at left back though - he's not mobile enough and its wasted height and physical presence in the centre half positions if he's playing left back! We need to sign a natural left back to cover Harding - he can't play every game!

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.