Millwall midfielder won't be affected by contract uncertainty

JIMMY Abdou insists his performances will not be affected by the uncertainty surrounding his Millwall future.

Abdou, who has been with the Lions for seven years, is one of a number of senior pros with a contract that expires in less than six months.

But the popular midfielder has vowed to give everything to the cause as the club battles relegation, regardless of whether he has a future at The Den beyond the end of the season.

"You can always reflect on your situation but that won't affect me," Abdou told the Southwark News.

"I'm still playing football and that's what I want to do. When I'm on the pitch I don't have time to think about my contract.

"My focus is doing well and helping the team. That's the way I am.

"It's a different situation for me to be in but I have to prove myself. I will give everything and play to the end of my contract, whether I'm going to be here or not next season.

"I want to finish the way I started at Millwall."

But Abdou, who has recently forced his way back into Ian Holloway's starting XI, sees no reason why he cannot finish his career with Millwall.

"Yeah, why not?" he added.

"I've been here for a long time so I know what kind of club this is. Football is a strange game and things change all the time but I've been here long enough to know that I could stay.

"I know how to play for Millwall and my family are settled here as well."

Holloway had originally postponed all talks until the summer but has brought forward that process in order to end the uncertainty in the dressing room.

But does Abdou think the situation has impacted on results and performances?

"I don't know if it's causing problems but, of course, as a player when you don't know about the future sometimes you can question yourself," he said.

"But that can't stop you from doing your job. You have to keep going and see what happens."

36 thoughts on “Millwall midfielder won't be affected by contract uncertainty

• January 23, 2015 at 11:56

Just give him a bloody contract. Does not need to earn it. He has already done that this season.

• January 23, 2015 at 13:19

@delboy2525@btinternet.com:
      "Millwall are expected to make decisions on new contracts this month and Abdou has been tipped as one player who could be offered an extension." 19 years he has been managing professional football teams he is always saying, but it beggars believe that he did not think that they would be unsettled by the fact that they could be out of work in May.

• January 23, 2015 at 11:57

Great attitude not the most gifted player but gives his all wish other's would give him a contract now

• January 23, 2015 at 12:00

Jimmy 100% every game, would always be first name on my teamsheet. Hope you get your deserved new contract

• January 23, 2015 at 12:01

If some of the players had jimmy's mentality we wouldn't be in the state we are in.

• January 23, 2015 at 12:05

He is the on yer left that knows the value of being a Millwall player and in my eyes has earned his contract.

• January 23, 2015 at 12:11

I know how to play for Millwall.
    That's why we love you Jimmy. You get us.
    Sign him up. Always a place for a player like Jimmy in my book.

• January 23, 2015 at 12:16

29 years old, so still at his peak. Sign him up, we couldn't afford a player with his experience and age if we tried to buy one in.

• January 23, 2015 at 13:13

@glyngo: he's actually 30, 31 in the summer. I'd be tempted to give him another year as a squad player but no longer and don't have our pants pulled down wages wise his legs will go at some point and when they do what else does he have to offer?!
      Love Jimmy for what he did for us when he first come in and his years under KJ he was immense but not good enough if we wanna be in the other half of championship, however if we go down....

• January 23, 2015 at 12:27

I think its clear we all want Jimmy to stay and I also think Holloway understands he really needs to get a deal agreed with him asap and regardless of the division we are in next season he will WANT to be here. You can't ask for more than that.

• January 23, 2015 at 12:37

Jimmy is one of us, give him a contract to see his career out at the den, then move him to the coaching staff, he knows the MFC way.
    A lions legend !!

• January 23, 2015 at 12:56

His experience with us is invaluable at the moment. He was with us in league one and the promotion pushes and knows what it's like to get that winning and positive outlook. He may not be the best player we've ever had but at the moment he may be one of the most important... As he said 'I know how to play for Millwall'

• January 23, 2015 at 13:01

A player who wears his heart on his sleeve. Will run through a wall for the club, just be offered a new contract without question. Would love for him to be able to see out his career here, a proper 'Wall player.

• January 23, 2015 at 13:16

The black Terry hurlock 100% tackler, pure wall, Just give-him a contract Oli, don't let it be another early release like Craig Robbo and the likes, will always give what the crowd like Passion

• January 23, 2015 at 14:37

I ve supporting Wall 55 years Big Millwall and seen Terry Hurlock play. I see hurlock as a hard tackling player and an accurate passer which I feel Jimmy lacks but a battler is the( KEY) here

• January 23, 2015 at 14:45

Only been a supporter 55 stretch Linconshire Lion! Of course Ive seen Hurlock play (passion and Battling) is the (KEY) here

• January 23, 2015 at 13:18

When's the Justin Hoyte version of this article to be posted Aldo? ;)

• January 23, 2015 at 13:54

Still pretty quiet then.... Was hoping to see a bit more going on by this point... Saying that, SLP is saying we're probably only looking at 2 more players now - 1 of those being the Hoo from Norwich, the other being a striker... The Okeefe deal is described as not being priority, can't say I disagree, but would be nice to get him in.....................

• January 23, 2015 at 15:19

@Luke ColdBlow10: you forgot to mention diego has said come the end of the season he would like to stay at millwall...which would be great news

• January 23, 2015 at 14:41

Sorry Big Millwall wasnt for you them posts

• January 23, 2015 at 17:14

@lionrampant:

No worries, hes not a Hurlock, he was a one in a life time but Jimmy is Millwall through and through.

• January 23, 2015 at 15:23

I would have to say that JIMMY is nothing like a " black HURLOCK " . I love em both but HURLOCK different gravy.

• January 23, 2015 at 15:26

Brilliant attitude always gives 100%. Sign him up now he deserves it. Top man.

• January 23, 2015 at 15:47

@block 28:
      dead right! never shirks a tackle. challenges for every high ball that comes his way no matter who its against, covers every blade of grass and breaks up play.......... just needs a ball player ( Williams) along side him IMO.

• January 23, 2015 at 21:28

Sign him up now. 3 years minimum.
    He's worth his weight in gold in my opinion. Never gets injured or banned.
    Always puts 110% in. That's a rarity nowadays

• January 25, 2015 at 18:29

JIMMY A REAL WALL PLAYER WERE A BETTER TEAM WHEN HE PLAYS ,,,,,,,,IN A DAVID BRENT VOICE

FACT