Scott McDonald and Millwall agree to terminate contract

© Keith Gillard
© Keith Gillard

SCOTT McDonald has left Millwall after reaching an agreement to cancel his contract at The Den by mutual consent.

McDonald was told at the start of the week that he wasn't in Ian Holloway's plans for the second half of the season and talks have been ongoing since to resolve his future.

And it has been decided that, in the interest of both parties, McDonald and the club should go their separate ways.

The news will come as a surprise to Lions fans, who have seen the Australian play more minutes than any other outfield player so far this campaign.

The 31 year-old, signed two summers ago by ex-manager Steve Lomas, scored six goals in 60 Millwall appearances and could now move to a club overseas.

McDonald told the club's official site: "I'd like to thank everyone at Millwall and in particular the fans for all their support.

"I had some memorable moments here, not least scoring the winner at Charlton last season, which was certainly a good feeling.

"I would like to wish the manager and the lads the very best for the rest of the season and I'll certainly be hoping they can move up the table and stay in the Championship."

Alex Aldridge

(@accordingtoaldo)

104 thoughts on “Scott McDonald and Millwall agree to terminate contract

  • January 23, 2015 at 19:57
    Permalink

    Saw that coming. Not been in the hood books for some time.

    Like (9)
    Dislike (2)
  • January 23, 2015 at 19:58
    Permalink

    Good

    Like (5)
    Dislike (15)
    • January 23, 2015 at 22:43
      Permalink

      @lionindirtyyorkyland: there is no saving to Millwall or free up wages we have just paid up his contract in full as with all the other players recently they can then sign for other clubs with a shed load of cash in the bank but it gets them out of the Club

      Like (3)
      Dislike (6)
      • January 24, 2015 at 10:04
        Permalink

        @robo:
        Cannot be the case as we would definitely be rid of Hoyte by now?
        I'm shocked by this, we have completely wasted an opportunity to use a player with his quality, bad move if you ask me, can't imagine 6 months of savings can be that much with pay off negotiated?
        I do hope we will now try to sign a few players good enough to inspire us fans as wall need all the support we can get!
        Feels like a league 1 move to me, not looking good but there's still such a long way to go?

        Like (11)
        Dislike (2)
      • January 24, 2015 at 11:18
        Permalink

        @robo: By mutual consent might mean that they just go and can look for another club without having problems with fees etc, and may not mean we pay the contract up in full. You have no idea what the terms were, unless you were part of the negotiating team, probably not!!

        Like (6)
        Dislike (0)

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.