Millwall boss: Abdou a "shining light amongst the gloom"

IAN Holloway says midfielder Jimmy Abdou has been a "shining light" for his Millwall side in recent weeks, despite their dire form.

Abdou has been one of the first names on Holloway's team sheet since the turn of the year.

The 29-year-old was praised for giving a committed performance during the 4-0 defeat to Bradford in the FA Cup last week – unlike the majority of his teammates.

Abdou's return to favour has prompted speculation he could be offered a new contract.

"I've been very impressed with Jimmy all along," said Holloway.

"He accepts every decision I make, he cares about the team and he does his work. I was very impressed with him against Bradford when almost everyone else fell to bits.

"He is a shining light in amongst the gloom."

52 thoughts on “Millwall boss: Abdou a "shining light amongst the gloom"

• January 21, 2015 at 13:35

Not a great passer, not quick and his shooting is worse than mine. Yet one of the first names on the team sheet because he gives 100% and actually cares.

Tells you a lot about the rest of them.

• January 21, 2015 at 14:10

@millllllllll:
      Is this the same Jimmy Abdou who Holloway left out the teams for weeks. Holloway hasn't a clue.

• January 21, 2015 at 14:31

@rogerclunn: It seems to me that some decisions are made after extensive reading here..If I was running a business and he was the MD he would have been sacked yonks ago,,it all done on the hoof me thinks

• January 21, 2015 at 14:58

@rogerclunn: Agree with you mate - said at the start of the season Jimmy couldn't pass the ball well enough for how he wants to play. Jimmy is a good squad man and deserves a new contract. It says something about how 'Experiment Holloway' is going that he is now the first name on the team sheet; after the amount of money and players lined up to replace him Jimmy should not be making the first team IMO.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:29

@millllllllll: your right it does say a lot about the squad and even more about the manager! he's the one who's created the gloom, no one else. I dont think i'v ever seen any manager at any club cause such complete chaos and still keep his job. He's had over a year and we are in a worse mess, complete and utter bonkersness from selection to formations to the Dunney at centre back and captain saga to bringing people in who aint fit down to his latest stunt of making a 19 year old with 2 senior games under his belt captain. i think we picked the team last week, he got it off here!! They did play with a bit more spirit sat, god knows it could'nt have been worse! a measure of how far we've come under Holloway people have gone home quite happy after losing 3.1 at home. If only we could send him out on loan to one of our rivals, they would be sure to be relegated!! Word is we cant afford to sack him but not playing Chelsea has cost us £500,000. can we afford to keep him???

• January 21, 2015 at 13:38

get him signed up on a new deal ASAP, will always run his heart out 100% every game even when
    all the other so called 'proffesionals' are walking around looking like they should be on blackheath
    playing for the Nags Head

• January 21, 2015 at 13:42

This is Ollies way of 'connecting' with fans. He talks about being too loyal to players when we should of moved them on then gives Jimmy a new deal. His been great to watch over the years but isn't the future imo.

• January 21, 2015 at 13:50

But he can be used to effect and we know that he will get a shift out of him

• January 21, 2015 at 13:54

Another day another Holloway contradiction.Why has jimmy disappeared from matchday squads for vast periods of IHs tenure if he thinks he is so great? I don't begrudge jimmy a penny of the money he has earnt at Millwall but in all honesty we need players of better quality if we are to continue un the championship.

• January 21, 2015 at 13:55

So who else we buying or having on loan Ollie , seems to have gone a bit quite on that front or is that it ?? Reference Fred, very good to see & pleased for the lad, can only be good for Millwall providing we can keep hold of him

• January 21, 2015 at 13:57

I thought he was really poor up at bradford, couldn't get anywhere near the ball but what do I know..

• January 21, 2015 at 14:00

He should be offered a new contract because he is a good squad player. Might not be good enough for a regular first team place but you know he will give 100% if he comes off the subs bench during a game. I think he is earmarked for a new contract anyway.

• January 21, 2015 at 14:21

Jimmy is a great squad player, always reliable to give 100% heart and soul for the team... Speaking of which any chance of us getting Tony Craig back? Seems to be doing well at Brentford, natural leader that gives everything and with Briggs going we got no cover for Harding. Also handy as CB cover

• January 21, 2015 at 14:26

Reading that tells me Jimmy is going to be offered a new deal.
    I wouldn't mind personally one bit.
    Jimmy Abdou. He's one of our own.
    Jimmy Abdou
    Jimmy Abdou
    Jimmy Abdou

• January 21, 2015 at 14:27

IH tried to establish a passing game , which didn't work beacuse :

1. he cant teach it and still retain defensive capabilities in the team

2. the players werent good enough

it has thus taken all season to go back to where we started or actually worse

• January 21, 2015 at 14:43

@timchimes:

how can anyone dislike or disaggree with this - holloway cannot integrate attack and defensive -- either we over commit and let in buckets of goals or we defend as 10 men like against Derby or Brighton - we do not do both because the manager has not coached the side well - in what way do facts get in the way of opinion

• January 21, 2015 at 17:17

@Jim28: I honestly can't believe the staunch support he is still getting and that some still see him as the 'Messiah'. I still support my team and always will, whoever is in charge. I know that we are in a rock and a hard place about whether the club continue to back him or spend a lot of money to get rid of him. I HOPE desperately that he can and does turn it around. Even the strongest 'Ollieber' can't deny that so far his performance has been woeful, he contradicts himself continually, we are no further ahead either in results or performances or strength of squad than we were when he was appointed. That is an undeniable reality. Many people have accused many of our recent and indeed current players of being 'wage thiefs'. I think at a million pound a year and his performance so far we're not exactly getting value for money at the moment.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:26

@Adsy77777: i dont think anyone thinks he's the messiah, but a lot of people think that its a pointless stance wanting him sacked, he wasn't my choice but the chairman wont sack him and i'd rather not be one of those muggy clubs who sack the manager once times get rough , supporting this band of strays is the best thing we can do as lovers of this old club , its all far from ideal but we're stuck with it at the moment.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:36

@Adsy77777: @columbusblock
            I'm not even discussing whether or not he should be sacked, but look at the amount of dislikes any poster gets if they point out his obvious failings this far. To be moved to dislike a post, surely you must oppose of what is being said?
            I'm glad we don't have a trigger happy chairman, I know that it is unlikely that he won't see the season out at least but it seems to me that many are still, like Ollie, are in denial.

• January 21, 2015 at 14:36

Abdou is the ideal pro..
    Will give 100% every single game he plays, cares about the club, knows he isn't the most gifted player on the planet and accepts he will not play every game....
    You can't not give him a new contract!!

• January 21, 2015 at 14:37

talking of sqauds and retaining players (or not)

this about DJ - now playing at Maidenhead - Easter gone to Bristol Rovers - these are the players that wre suposed to win us games

now we are scrambling around trying to get more in a panic before the window closes

• January 21, 2015 at 14:38

Jim ado wear the lions on his chest wiv pride

• January 21, 2015 at 15:04

Jimmy has his limitations, but if you want an opposition star player marked out of the game, you give him to Jimmy! Done! Give him another year at least,

• January 21, 2015 at 15:56

A good man to man marker but only a squad player in truth. Not one to come off the subs bench and change a game. Having said that he's obviously done enough to warrant a new contract as per Ollie's comments and you really can't argue with that. Rather him than some of the others who are either wage thieves or are as sensitive as a pickpocket's fingers.

• January 21, 2015 at 16:09

Holloway is desperate...he suddenly likes Jimmy he makes Sid captain and plays Jack Powell..and he cant wait to get Fred back...hes after getting the fans on his side....but its b******* 2 wins in 23 says everything Holloway you are the worst manager this club has ever had....

• January 21, 2015 at 16:14

Well if that the case why did u drop him from a winning team earlier in the season. We all know how good jimming is but u not even had him in squad for half games so far and I know he fit as see him in training when I'm walking my dog.

• January 21, 2015 at 16:30

The Den needs to become a fortress again. This is my main concern. Teams used to hate coming here, now we seem like pushovers. As fans we MUST stick together, and we stand by every player that puts on our shirt and scare the living daylights out of the opposition. Its the way Millwall should be.

• January 21, 2015 at 16:31

IH you caaaant bring back Abdou.
    IH you caaaant what you doing giving him a contract?
    This is what some people on here have posted about Jimmy in recent weeks, and you say IH doesn't know what he's doing!?

• January 21, 2015 at 16:41

this is holloways quote just before he left palace, sound familiar ?
    Holloway made 16 signings over the summer and the former manager believes that has eroded the spirit of the squad, something he outlined during Monday's press conference. "We've lost five games since we named the [squad of] 25 and there's something wrong there," he said. "I don't feel we have the same spirit. That squad is what we've got till January, so they better buck up and learn to stick together."

• January 21, 2015 at 16:51

I love Jimmy Abdou, has been my favourite Millwall player since bomber! Although I did used to think Jack Smith was better than he was given credit for and always preferred him at RB to Dunne (Going to get slaughtered for that).

• January 21, 2015 at 17:33

@dobbers22Wash your mouth out !
      I'd have a cast iron bath at right back before either Smith or Dunne ever played in my team.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:41

@dobbers22:
      I agree with you mate jack of all trades was a good player just stayed at the club slightly to long to be appreciated,
      We should keep Jimmy as a squad player footballing teams like Derby / Norwich he should be the game plan to break teams down .

• January 21, 2015 at 17:27

Dobbers

I thought Jack Smith was not give a fair chance and gave his all when played

• January 21, 2015 at 17:52

@kell: Smith found his level at League one. Problem is that some people on here give it the 'Millwall through and through' or 'Sweats blue blood' etc. etc.
      All very poetic but in reality players like Smith, Dunne, Shittu etc. are not good enough for the Championship and the sooner we all drop this 'love a trier' syndrome the quicker we're going to climb the table.

• January 22, 2015 at 19:58

@NICKOLA: I have never said anything like 'Millwall through and through' or 'Sweats blue blood' about him, but I just thought Jack had more going forward than Dunne, better positioning than Dunne, less reckless than Dunne and I remember a game where we had a CB sent off really early (think it was some bloke we had on a 1 month loan, and it was his debut and he never played for us again!) and Smith moved to CB and had a storming game against a couple of dangerous strikers that were towering over him. What made me want him to succeed more was the fact that a lot of the time I heard people slagging him off more than other players and I never thought he deserved that. Just because he came from Swindon on a free he was never good enough for some people. Essay over...

• January 21, 2015 at 17:53

@kell: To be honest, I thought Jack Smith was OK. Better than Dunne anyway... OK, I realise that isn't saying much

• January 21, 2015 at 17:31

Jimmy is just not good enough ....do me a favour Holloway. So you are going to build your big dream around Jimmy FFS.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:54

@Lincolnshire Lion: I don't think that is what he is saying at all. Jimmy is a good squad player. You want those type of players about even if you don't pick them every time

• January 21, 2015 at 18:02

@Lincolnshire Lion: I'll be honest Lincolnshire, I'm a big Jimmy fan. He's been probably the most consistent player we've had over a number of years; but I accept he has his limitations and isn't necessarily in every starting line up but he shows 100% commitment every time and for that alone he deserves a new contract. Build the team around him however - at this level no.

• January 21, 2015 at 17:32

Ive a friend from comoros who knows jimmy well.and he reckons jimmy is 46 !

• January 21, 2015 at 18:04

Jimmy Abdou.
    Loyal , reliable , grafter , most improved Millwall player in years , in short........
    A COMPLETE AND UTTER MILLWALL LEGEND !
    First name on my team sheet week in week out.

• January 21, 2015 at 18:17

I'll ask this question again to the Holloway fans. Why was Lomas sacked?

• January 21, 2015 at 19:23

@lion.ie: must be cos of his previous connection. You can lose as many games and, subsequently fans. You can turn a club upside down and inside out apparently. It's either that or it'll cost us too much to get rid.

• January 21, 2015 at 20:11

@Adsy77777: @lion.ie: Sorry I thought this was Mfc fan page, stop f****** moaning and come up with answers, who will come in? Come answer that one.

• January 21, 2015 at 21:45

@nocalves: I've got one - get a decent manager in or tell this one we're not happy with his performance in the hope he does better - how's that?

• January 21, 2015 at 22:06

At least someone is working hard for the team , more effort. Needed by rest of them though , bit of luck the new look team will gel by the reading game, and I'm all for giving the youngsters a go .....

• January 21, 2015 at 23:06

Jimmy deserves a new contract. He never throws his toys out of the pram. Just gets on with it. Yes his passing isn't great but he's like dog with a bone never gives up a few of his teammates should take a leaf out of his book. Some people on here it's not a crime to praise one of our players.

• January 22, 2015 at 15:44

For me Jimmy is a Millwall legend.