Sid Nelson is going to be a Millwall legend, says Holloway

MILLWALL boss Ian Holloway believes young defender Sid Nelson will become a club legend.

Nelson, who is only 19, captained the Lions against Ipswich Town on Saturday.

And Holloway is confident the centre back has the attributes to establish himself as a hugely popular figure on the terraces at The Den.

"I think Sid is going to be a new Millwall legend," said Holloway.

"It's not just the way you play for this club, it's the person you are – just look at Paul Robinson. Sid will do for me all day long.

"He'll get better and better, and he'll be the future of Millwall. I'm confident enough to make him captain and confident in his character."

Asked for his assesment of Nelson's performance in the 3-1 defeat, Holloway added:

"Sid looked a bit nervous after we went 2-0 down, and so did Byron Webster, but the crowd stuck with them. Sid grew and grew as the game went on.

"I could've given the armband to David Forde, who's had it before, but I wanted to see if the boy's got enough about him because he's been a captain all his life [in the academy].

"I've got no doubts about that boy. We've relied on our captain in Danny Shittu far, far, far too much because he's such an immense fella.

"I want other people to step to the plate to help me."

21 thoughts on “Sid Nelson is going to be a Millwall legend, says Holloway

• January 20, 2015 at 11:45

The only good thing that's happened to us this season is the arrival of Sid, Jack Powell and a few others hovering around the first team, now get Fred back as we're not scoring and he's got 3 in 3 for Wycombe!

• January 20, 2015 at 11:51

Can only improve, but I wonder who his ideal partner is?

Forde
    Cummings Nelson Williams Harding
    Powell Abdou
    Paris Gueye Fabbrini
    Gregory

Maybe stick Williams back in defence, and seek to sign a new CDM that can play a good pass / win the ball?

• January 20, 2015 at 12:05

Forde must have a settled back four infront of him to regain form.

• January 20, 2015 at 12:16

@keamers: Forde is 35 years old and should be the one marshalling the defence. He is not vocal enough, he does not command the six yard box let alone his defence. Some of the goals that he has let in (this year and last) have been shocking, if you recall he went through a similar patch a few years back and Maik Taylor replaced him.... Perhaps he needs replacing once more, because from what I have seen of him he appears totally disinterested

• January 20, 2015 at 12:48

Spot on Forde is s*** and dosent give any vocal support at all and never commands his area he needs to be dropped

• January 20, 2015 at 16:02

@eio:
        My old man calls him a vampire keeper - don't like crosses. Cr4p joke but he loves it!

• January 20, 2015 at 22:04

@eio: Forde just seems to have gone to pieces, difficult to understand what's gone so badly wrong with him. I went to Brighton away and he was commanding, assured and an all round good keeper - and since then he's just got worse by the game. I guess no pressure on his place in team doesn't help but he doesn't seem bothered anymore. To me it points to dressing room unrest, as the apathy seems rife amongst senior players. Someone said in a previous post recently that whereas some managers lose the dressing room, IH is coming out saying they've lost him, which is as the guy who posted that said a novel defence). Can they all be wrong and IH be right? On paper, we aren't that bad and should be able to give most championship teams a game? But on the pitch we look like we couldn't give many div 1 or div 2 teams a game - like Bradford for example who follow up their hammering of us with a loss at bottom club Yeovil. I'm so down I can't even remember now what I'm replying to.......please Mr Berlyson, can we have something resembling our old Millwall back please? We don't expect much, we do demand a fighting spirit and 100% effort and above all honesty. Just because of where we are from, a good but tough working class background, it doesn't mean we are stupid. The crap that keeps coming out of our managers interviews is frankly becoming insulting to us. As a billionaire businessman, I'm surprised JB is accepting of it - we are a London based championship football club, there must be loads of decent managers looking for an opportunity to come here and work with you JB, open your eyes and look at what's happening here as you surely would look at how things are going in other areas of your business empire and apply similar standards.

• January 20, 2015 at 12:16

• January 20, 2015 at 12:21

@eio: Agree with you on that, just can't see where the replacement will come from. At points last year looked to be our saviour, beginning to think his career his coming to an end.

• January 20, 2015 at 14:35

@keamers: apparently looking at shay given or tomas sorensen till end of season

• January 20, 2015 at 15:51

@sadlier89: Interesting, forgotten what its like to have a change of keeper! Might just rekindle a bit of confidence at the back.

• January 20, 2015 at 12:23

Well done Sid BUT we must have another centre half asap.

• January 21, 2015 at 09:03

Olly needs to nurture him and not put to much responsibility on his shoulders, please remember he has only just broke into the team, please don't ruin him.

• January 20, 2015 at 14:29

Someone told me sid nelsons dad used to drink in the local boozer with my dad. Will never know now as he hung himself, coulda polished sids boots for him. proud to see someone as passionate about the club as me getting to walk out with the armband. He knows what it means COYL

• January 20, 2015 at 14:32

I agree with everything that is being said about Nelson. What I don't understand however is why Goodman who is 2 years older hasn't been given the same chance. He was sent out on loan to Wimbledon and did very well in the cup match against Liverpool considering he was marking players the calibre of Gerrard, Lambert and Balotelli The one area he is certainly superior to Nelson in is his heading ability. I hope we don't lose him because in a year or two him and Nelson would form a good centre back partnership.

• January 20, 2015 at 16:52

We all love Sid, he is one of our own and we are proud of him as if he's one of our own son's. And we are all really pleased for him about being awarded the Captaincy at 19. Sid points to that moral d******* JT being made captain of his team at 19. But I just worry for our Sid being made Captain after just 4 appearances and now being told he is defo gonna be a Millwall legend. This is all out of proportion and reflects the desperation of our manager to deflect some criticism which he has cleverly avoided by playing to us. I just hope this doesn't ruin Sid. I've been in business and managing men for 30 years both in the City and as a lawyer, and I know it's totally different but this just isn't the way you nurture starlets that you've identified as potential high-fliers. At 19 things go to your head, you think you've arrived (out of nowhere), the pressure can literally crumble youngsters especially coming into a situation of desperation and almost hopelessness which is what Sid has been thrust into here. I don't mean to be negative, I love Sid and only want the best for him, but I fear that IH is not doing Sid any favours and that he's just deflecting attention. I look at Ollie's record of 12 wins in 52 and the fact that he has overseen the position we are now in. Unable to even compete with a lower league team with so much at stake for club and fans alike, having brought 20 of his own players in and yet he cannot field any line-up that either he or we reasonably expect to beat any opposition that's put in front if us, so many players out of contract and in limbo, - he is like a scared rabbit in the headlights without a cojent or believeble plan. I'm surprised JB can see through him, I wouldn't want to trust Olllie with my money and I don't trust him with my beloved Millwall. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope Sid isn't going to struggle with the enormous pressure IH has heaped on his very young shoulders

• January 20, 2015 at 18:22

@T20ColdBlowLion: brilliant post and I'll add what others won't say in that looking at Saturdays game (highlights unfortunately) Sid may not be good enough yet.

• January 20, 2015 at 20:00

@T20ColdBlowLion: Totally agree with your post, I agree about Sid!! A lot of pressure on him at this early stage in his career, we might be surprised how well he copes though !! Time will tell