Captaining Millwall a dream come true for Lions fan Nelson

LIONS fan Sid Nelson described skippering Millwall as a "dream come true".

Nelson was left speechless when manager Ian Holloway handed him the captain's armband 90 minutes before Saturday's clash with Ipswich Town.

The 19-year-old was making only his fourth senior appearance but Holloway asked him to lead the team in the wake of a humilating result against Bradford in midweek.

"It came as a shock," said Nelson.

"I sat down in the changing rooms just buzzing to be playing again so my face dropped when the gaffer gave me the armband because it's a dream come true for me.

"I've thought about being Millwall captain my whole life. I wanted to follow in the foosteps of Paul Robinson and lead the team out at The Den.

"The manager told me on the day of the game – at half one, or quarter to two. The manager said, 'today I want Sid to be skipper because he's done well as captain of the U21s'.

"He gave me the responsibility in front of the older lads. I was speechless and I had to go into the toilet to let it sink in.

"All the other players shook my hand – they were really good with me and they have been every time I've played.

"I respect them so much for that because for a young player like me to be the skipper, they could take it another way. But they all put an arm around me.

"John Terry captained Chelsea when he was 19 and I've done that for my team, so it's a dream come true.

"I massively look up to Terry – he's got determination and grit, and he's good on the ball.

"Obviously I look up to Robbo, Alan Dunne and Danny Shittu as well – the senior pros who have been there and done it in the game.

"I try to mould myself on players like that because I've still got a lot of learning to do."

Nelson was not fazed by his additional responsibilties and fired up the crowd when he berated Noel Hunt for strolling off the field as he was substituted.

"In my eyes he was taking a few liberties," said the centre back.

"They were 2-1 up so he was trying to take as much time as he could. I tried to push him off and he got a bit lemon, but that was about it.

"I just played my normal game because my best attribute is trying to be a leader. Having the armband reminded me to keep talking and organising.

"It's not even been a month since my first start but when you're a footballer you've got to be ready for what comes. Anything can come at you as a young pro.

"You never know what will happen next – next week I might be back in the U21s or I'll be playing for the first team again. I'll take thing stride by stride."

Nelson was also asked for his reaction to the news that chairman John Berylson is backing manager Ian Holloway despite Millwall's poor form.

He said: "That's great news for everybody at the club because we don't need a change. It's coming. We've had a bit of bad luck with certain goals and we need the gaffer.

"People don't see the behind-the-scenes work that the gaffer does and he's so determined to get us out of this. I think it's going to come very soon."

28 thoughts on “Captaining Millwall a dream come true for Lions fan Nelson

• January 19, 2015 at 12:04

Pleased for Sid to lead them out, he must be so proud!

Maybe this will give some of the seniors a kick up the a***, knowing that a 19 year old is taking the armband over them!

• January 19, 2015 at 12:06

He's quick, decent on the ball, determined, knows how to tackle and tackle hard! You just need to learn how to head the ball and you'll be incredible

• January 19, 2015 at 12:11

Hopefully you'll be leading out the other 10 players that care as much as you do.

• January 19, 2015 at 12:11

Hopefully you'll soon be leading out the other 10 players that care as much as you do.

• January 19, 2015 at 12:21

Its nice to hear from a player that cares for this club. If we can take faith from anyone it must be Nelson. Honest words. Well deserved in my eyes.

• January 19, 2015 at 12:22

My only worry is .will senior players take any noticed of a kid..or what impact a 19yr old captain will have
    not sure it was one of his best decisions
    time will tell

• January 19, 2015 at 12:23

The new Robo if you see Sid tell him

• January 19, 2015 at 12:26

Great player sid, but don't try and mould yourself on previous players be yourself and you will be a millwall legend if we can keep hold of you

• January 19, 2015 at 12:47

There's nothing greater than seeing a young lion come through the ranks. With him, Jack and Fred we have some real prospects. Youth has garnered some of the most successful teams in our history.

A future Sir Les when he leads us to the Championship title in a few years... we can dream!

• January 19, 2015 at 12:51

On Saturday when I saw on the club's twitter feed Nelson was leading the side out, at first I wasn't totally convinced by another Holloway decision ... God was I wrong.

This lad knows what it takes to play for Millwall and he knows what we (the fans) expect from the team and hopefully he can pass that on to the rest of the squad. We also are finally seeing the products of our youth team which is what we've been crying out for since KJ was in charge.

Keep up the good work Sid and if you want them, you can break all kinds of records with us. COYL

• January 19, 2015 at 12:51

I'll probably get a few dislikes for the following but oh well! I think Robbo would be a good parter at CB at least until the end if the season for Nelson. His experience would be crucial as would his passion for the club; he is also a lot better in the air, something Nelson does need to improve on but is something he can learn from someone like Robbo. COYL! See you all at Reading

• January 20, 2015 at 09:09

@madcaplaughs1983: If Robbo hadn't left the club to go to Portsmouth then you might have a point. However, he has. Try and keep up.

• January 20, 2015 at 09:48

@robsep2b: I am fully aware that his contract was cancelled last week! It would have been interesting to seem them paired at CB my point should have been

• January 20, 2015 at 10:29

@madcaplaughs1983: I remember a certain young Barry Kitchener who was not a good header of the ball to begin with. The rest is history

• January 19, 2015 at 13:06

His been at Millwall since he was 8,He has captained at all levels now and it is so nice to see a youngster to put some of lazy gits to shame,Has a lot of you say he is not there yet on how to header the ball but that will come in time well done son 10 out of 10

• January 19, 2015 at 13:28

Yeah brilliant , this is what we want, players coming in to our first team via our youth teams, local boys that love the club. SID Looks a real good en, he does need I improve his heading, he certainly launches himself at the ball but his timing needs to get better,he's jumping when he's not quite in distance, so he gets there a bit late and they win the flick on. It's all about timing,but I have no doubts he'll sort that out with more expirience. Well done Sid and well done holloway for bringing him in.

• January 19, 2015 at 13:34

Good luck young sid proper millwall, you said you would like to mould yourself on players like robbo, dunne, and shittu, just a bit of advice mate don't mould yourself on dunne because you might have a very short career.

• January 19, 2015 at 13:49

@foxy: i think he was talking about there leadership qualities..hes already shown hes loyal by turning down 2 prem clubs & the anoraks

• January 19, 2015 at 13:43

A never say die attitude, and a good player who will only get better!, but what i cant work out is, and its the same when Dunne plays at CB, why didnt Webster mark their big lump for goal kicks etc...., not blaming Webster, he is under orders, i know i'm in the minority, but i like Webster, its just that holloway , like a few of 'his' players, has knocked his confidence, i hope he gets game time alongside Nelson, keep the back 4 together to get an understanding!

• January 19, 2015 at 13:58

@rowanonthewing7: congratulations sid your parents should be well proud of you as well also the first player to come on here and not apologise good luck for the rest of the season

• January 19, 2015 at 14:09

Sid Nelson he's one of our own! Potential millwall legend

• January 19, 2015 at 14:59

That's it Sid! Have the makings of a real Lions Legend here. Lead the other 10 onboard HMS Victory now Nelson and we'll be all right!

• January 19, 2015 at 15:36

A player with something about him, the right attitude. Fred must be gaining much needed confidence and experience at Wycombe. I think our younger players are being handled well. Seems to be the only thing exciting about our club at the moment. Looking forward to seeing what Paris Cowan-Hall may bring, hopefully the added bit of bite we need.

We've seen that the likes of Powell, Nelson and Onyedinma have potential. I would like to see O'brien given a good running alongside Gregory.

• January 19, 2015 at 15:52

You should be captain all next season well done Nelson you could be the next John Terry

• January 19, 2015 at 16:48

Good for you sid.
    We're with you all the way.
    Glad you look up to players like robbo and dunne but if your going to mould your game on anyone then Terry is the one.
    Keep up the hard work especially the heading.
    Congrats on getting the armband, masterstroke by ollie.

• January 19, 2015 at 20:51

A month or so back I was worried about putting the kids in the team in case it all went wrong and they ended up getting a load of abuse, which has happened before. I have to admit I was wrong, and how wrong was I. Sid coming in has been a revelation for me and to be made captain on only his fourth appearance puts the senior players to shame. You can tell he's a fan and he wears the shirt with pride. Long may it continue.
    KEEP ROARING

• January 19, 2015 at 22:14

Happy for Nelson. I hope that Holloway's gesture (which was intended to be a message towards the senior players) motivates him to work insanely hard and become a decent central defender despite his many limitations. He should also keep comments to the media to a minimum and focus on training and becoming better.

• January 20, 2015 at 00:52

Every strong team has several captains so this was a good gesture that will build his confidence and get the crowd behind the team. Smart move by Ollie and probably got the crowd off his back for a couple of games whilst he sorts the squad out