Millwall boss confident of long-term backing from chairman

IAN Holloway does not believe his job at Millwall is under threat and expects to be given time to assemble a "young, fresh, hungry team" for the future.

Holloway received a vote of confidence from chairman John Berylson before the Lions suffered a 3-1 defeat to Ipswich Town at The Den on Saturday.

And the Lions boss says his long-term objective of rebuilding the side has not changed despite a run of just two wins in 23 competitive matches.

16 Championship managers have left their posts so far this season but Holloway is confident Millwall will not join "the sack race" anytime soon.

He said: "Is the chairman disappointed? Of course he is – we all want to win – but football should be about loyalty.

"It's really tough at the minute but the chairman didn't get to where he is by quitting and neither did I.

"Just because everybody else is wielding the axe left, right and centre, what does that have to do with this club?

"Charlton have decided to get rid of their manager but Charlton have a different agenda.

"The Championship is pretty unforgiving. For Norwich to do what Norwich did the other day is quite ridiculous but that's their choice.

"It's becoming the sack race in the Championship because everybody wants to get into the Premier League.

"Everybody is buying clubs in this division to get them up but [chief executive] Andy Ambler and the chairman have been working steadily for seven years.

"Kenny Jackett told me all about it and what it would be like because sometimes some of the names you get called aren't very pleasant.

"But I'm going to see all the way through that because I am part of the family. It's going wrong at the minute but I'm not going to ever give up.

"If the chairman doesn't want me one day, Andy will tell me, we'll sit down to discuss it and have a meal together. But my job hasn't changed since I came here."

Holloway says Berylson is fully behind his plan to overhaul Millwall's squad and will give him the resources – and the time – to make big changes.

"He's the owner I've wanted for years and the owner I would die for," said Holloway.

"If he ends up killing me with his sword, then it will be respectful and done correctly, and I'd have deserved it because I'd have let him down in at least a year's time.

"The chairman wants to be successful. He's pumped a lot of money into this club and he'll keep doing that because he's committed to getting a good team.

"He wants a team that can compete in the Championship and one day might be able to get promoted, like I managed to do with two of my previous clubs.

"What I want to do at Millwall long-term hasn't changed. The euphoria from staying up and the start of our season has changed into 'oh my God, these players have lost confidence.'

"'Oh my God' isn't in my language but I cannot accept that ten men absolutely capitulated the other night in the FA Cup.

"I was asked by the press after the Bradford game if I felt confident – did they mean confident the chairman won't kick me out or am I confident in my ability to build a team?

"I've not been here long enough and my desire is to stay as long as I possibly can to see this through.

"I haven't worked this hard as a manager for 19 years to suddenly be an absolute pile of steaming horse manure. If people think I am, more fool you.

"And if some players think they can sit back, not take any responsibility and wait for me to get the sack, they better think again.

"I have a proven track recording of building clubs and turning things around but sometimes it's a bit slower than everyone else's instant coffee.

"Even when I went down with QPR, I put them back to where they were on half the budget. Andy and the chairman know that, and they understand what I'm trying to do.

"I want the same thing as the fans want, and I want them to see a new team competing better than we are at the minute in this division.

"I want to see a young, fresh, hungry team that is learning to play a decent way.

"I might be in cuckoo land but I believe I chose Millwall and Millwall chose me because we want the same things."

62 thoughts on “Millwall boss confident of long-term backing from chairman

• January 19, 2015 at 08:23

It says in the article
    ""I'm more than confident in my own ability and the fans might not realise what we've been talking about behind the scenes for the whole time I've been here."

I am pretty confident that all the visitors to NAD and also all followers of Millwall would love to know what has been talked about behind the scenes

You have the platform here, so come on, fess up and let us know what is planned

• January 19, 2015 at 09:08

@eio: They can't come out and say it for several reasons, 1. because they're trying to offload some of the players, so coming out and saying they're w**kers is not going to help that, 2. they're trying to sign players, therefore publicly shaming current players is not going to encourage more to join & would make us look like a petty club that has lost control. They've done the right thing by making us aware that there are things going on behind the scenes, but to provide more details will not do anything to help our situation, just trust that if it was Holloway and not the players, the board & JB would have done something by now. Hopefully the 10 day break will give him a chance to get rid of the dross and bring in some players who'll show some fight!

• January 19, 2015 at 18:07

@coldblowlane87: If you look at his statement carefully he says 'for the whole time I've been here' so do not think that discussions are about out of contract players

• January 19, 2015 at 08:27

Not commented on Saturdays game as I did not want to do so in the heat of the moment, but reading this makes me think again about Saturday yes the second half was a lot better than the first but once again the team you put out lost (fact).

He keeps talking about his 19 years experience and what he done else where, but Ollie you are lucky in the fact the JB has stuck by you and I for one wont you to succeed and keep us up but some of the players you have brought in and also your tactics are strange to say the least, I would of thought that mentioning taking QPR down is not a positive in the eyes of us the faithful, but this is Ian Holloway talking??

You still have enough games to keep us up but I must say there does not seem any signs to me that you can do it, the Reading game is a must win but you know that, come on Ollie we need to see some improvement and then you will hear us really get behind you.

On another note why did we have a 6ft 7inch right winger playing on Saturday.

• January 19, 2015 at 09:17

@Barnlion: What he doesn't mention is that he's either taken every club he's managed since QPR down (Leicester & Blackpool) or walked out on them (Plymouth & Palace). He has a very mixed managerial record. Many Palace fans think he took the club backwards in his short time there, despite getting them up through the play-offs. Even his amazing promotion at Blackpool was done inheriting a good team in his first season with them.

Take away his verbal skills and what's most important is his record at Millwall, which is awful and shows no signs of improvement. For the good of our club he has to go ASAP.

• January 19, 2015 at 10:22

@Micky Lions:
        He didn't inherit a good team with blackpool, they had 1 or 2 decent players like hoolahan and Taylor fletcher for example but the rest were average and they finished 16th and 19th in the 2 seasons before he took over. He then bought 6 players at the start of the season including a certain Charlie Adam who finished as their top scorer with 19 goals plus the winner vs cardiff in the play off final. He's clearly got something about him. Don't let the truth get in the way of c****** him off though ay.

• January 19, 2015 at 12:57

@82wall: Nothing wrong with what I said. The bulk of the squad that took them up was in place when he took over. No doubt Charlie Adam was a very good signing which broke their transfer record. Likewise promotion with Blackpool was his finest achievement, but if you want facts, he did it with just 70 points (32 behind Newcastle) and they came straight back down.

I don't gladly criticise Millwall managers, but after nearly 50 years as a supporter he's the first one that has made me truly angry with the club. I think the way he seems to have so many people fooled is a large part of it - that and the fact his record so far is so sh.it. That's the real truth of it.

• January 19, 2015 at 19:21

@Micky Lions: Agree with you again Micky.

• January 19, 2015 at 23:13

@Micky Lions:
            I get your point but Newcastle smashed the league and finished 11 points clear at the top. No one expected blackpool to go up, it was holloway who installed a team spirit and got the players fighting for eachother. When they got relegated they only did so on the final day of the season away at man utd and even then they deserved to get something out the game. Part of his poor win % is down to that season. The fact is he is here for this season at least so I don't see the point in people constantly digging him out when, by all accounts, he was left with a s*** group of players and a few who were causing trouble behind the scenes. It's all changing now and if we don't improve it's on his head, but we are going through a transition at the minute and it won't happen over night.

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.