Millwall boss to push ahead with overhaul after Ipswich loss

IAN Holloway will push ahead with his plans to overhaul Millwall's squad during the January transfer window after a 3-1 defeat to Ipswich Town on Saturday.

The Lions boss was "encouraged" by his side's spirited performance against the second-placed Tractor Boys but says he needs to add more new signings to his squad.

Holloway has brought in five players so far this month and four of them – Shaun Cummings, Dan Harding, Diego Fabbrini and Stefan Maierhofer – started against Ipswich.

The Millwall boss made eight changes in total to his starting XI following a humiliating 4-0 loss to Bradford City in midweek.

Noel Hunt scored twice inside the opening quarter of an hour to put the visitors in control and although Magaye Gueye pulled one back, Jonathan Parr put the result beyond doubt.

Despite the result, the Lions were clapped off at full time.

And Holloway said: "It needed to be a spirited performance after Wednesday, didn't it? I think everybody understands what I'm about and what my teams normally do.

"The atmosphere and the way the crowd stuck with us after going two goals down in 14 minutes was absolutely terrific because they could see the spirit of the lads.

"I've been given the job of turning this squad around to make it win in the Championship.

"Andy Ambler and I believe that we have to make some decisions very, very quickly and bring forward a process that we were going to do next summer.

"We want to make a lot of changes and add some new players because the secret will be from outside and not within.

"I know which young ones will have a big future for us and be Millwall legends of the future but I need to make some decisions for my group to give them some clarity.

"I need to move things on immediately and that's what I'm going to do.

"We've got ten days until our next game to fill people in about where they are and see if I can facilitate them moving out.

"You saw four new players and Paris Cowan-Hall will be fit for next week but there are elements that I need to put right because there is worry whenever a team gets near our goal.

"It's very difficult to have that but, at 2-0 down after 14 minutes, the crowd were absolutely magnificent because they stuck with the lads and the lads felt that and got back in it.

"I was pretty encouraged. But if you look at the second goal, their bloke has run off the pitch and then comes back on and scores.

"I believe the fans understand what we're trying to achieve.

"It's not good enough at the moment but we've got 20 games left and hopefully I can clarify who is and isn't going to be here.

"Whoever that is, I can tell them and try to move them out, and bring others in.

"The secret will be who I manage to bring in now because we're letting too many goals in and we're not scoring enough."

106 thoughts on “Millwall boss to push ahead with overhaul after Ipswich loss

• January 17, 2015 at 23:43

A quality striker
    A quality CB
    A quality GK

Over to you Ollie

• January 17, 2015 at 23:43

I didn't clap you off and I can't believe all the positive comments about the game. We lost 3-1 at home, were always second best and look odds on for relegation. The first chance to atone for the humiliations at Blackpool and Bradford and people get excited about playing slightly better and still losing timidly at home to Ipswich. What the hell has happened to us – have we really sunk so low?

Ipswich could and should have scored more in the first half. Our goal back gave us something to chase, but we never really looked like equalising. Lots of new faces give some hope – particularly Cummings and Fabbrini, but under Holloway I have absolutely no confidence we can get out of this. His record since he came is dreadful and anyone who thinks he’ll be any better in Division One is deluded. The bloke is a has-been. For the good of the club he has to go. No more nonsense about ‘who else will we get’. We don't have to settle for failure. Birmingham, Bolton and Brighton have shown what's possible.

• January 17, 2015 at 23:51

@Micky Lions: spot on mate couldn't of put it any better myself

• January 18, 2015 at 00:38

@Micky Lions: Wigan, Reading, and now Charlton have changed manager without success. So the grass isn't always greener.

• January 18, 2015 at 10:38

@nocalvesFace up to it he is trying hes hardest to get in the 1st division the useless ahole is cluless.

• January 18, 2015 at 11:29

@baz2262: I've faced up to the fact that this goes awhole lot deeper than IH.

• January 18, 2015 at 08:24

@Micky Lions: spot on mate.. As usual he took the performer off in fabrini .. Saw acres of space on both wings but no wingers. Meierhoffer 7 ft tall missed headers all day long and ford just let another weak goal in. Ipswich didn't look good but they did the basics right and it taught a lesson.

If anyone thinks that was a good result and clapped them off might aswell go and watch another club. 3-1 at home and clapping? What the f**** going on?

• January 18, 2015 at 08:30

@brockleysfinest: Its called supporting your team through thick and thin. That what we need now more then ever.

• January 18, 2015 at 11:31

@brockleysfinest: Fabrezze was puffing harder than a steamtrain going uphill.

• January 18, 2015 at 11:14

@Micky Lions: Absolutely right mate, I cannot believe so many fans are still deluded by this bloke, he has been a disaster.

• January 18, 2015 at 11:59

@Micky Lions: yeah the truth hurts...well said....The team reflects the manager...he is a nervous cant make his mind up idiot......

• January 18, 2015 at 15:02

@Micky Lions: we looked better yesterday than for a long time. You have to remember the squad yesterday barely know each other let alone understand how to play to each others strengths. Don't forget we played one of the best teams in the league

• January 18, 2015 at 22:17

@Geoff the lion: SPOT ON GEOFF WE ALSO HAVE A VERY EXCITING WINGER TO COME INTO THE TEAM WHO WAS INJURED ON THE TRAINING GROUND HE SCARED THE LIVING DAYLIGHT OUT OF OUR DEFENCE WHEN HE PLAYED FOR WYCOMBE . WE ALL MUST LOOK AT THIS AS A NEW TEAM AT THE START OF THE SEASON THEY HAVE TO GEL . THERE ARE FEW MAJOR FACTS THAT HAVE CAUSED THESE PROBLEMS AT THE DEN PEOPLE CAN NOT SINGLE IAN HOLLOWAY OUT AS HE INHERITED WAS WHAT KENNY LEFT BEHIND . SO LETS START WITH SOME POSITIVE COMMENTS AND RAISE THE TEAM

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.