Millwall chairman will continue to support squad rebuild

©
©

JOHN Berylson has reiterated his support for Ian Holloway and says Millwall's manager will continue to be backed as he rebuilds the squad during January.

The Lions chairman also insisted that Wednesday's 4-0 drubbing at Bradford City has not affected Holloway's job security.

Diego Fabbrini today became the club's fifth new signing this month and Holloway intends to make further additions in the coming weeks.

Speaking to the club's official site, Berylson said:

"Just so everyone is absolutely clear about the situation here – whatever the outcome of Saturday's game against Ipswich Town we have every intention of backing our manager.

"The position we find ourselves in at the moment is a cause for concern, we know that, and the nature of our performance in the FA Cup was unacceptable.

"But we had already identified the problem and have begun to remedy it by signing five new players, none of whom were able to play on Wednesday night.

"Rest assured we will try to sign more within the next few weeks. The manager needs to re-construct the squad and build a new Millwall team to take us forward.

"We knew this would be the case in the summer, but circumstances have dictated that we are having to bring that process forward."

Meanwhile, Holloway claims he has lost patience with Millwall's under-performing players and is preparing to clear the decks for new signings.

"I didn't like what I saw on Wednesday night at all," he said.

"Quite often ten men can respond to adversity and put in a performance full of passion and pride. But that didn't happen and it was the worst I've ever seen I think from a team of mine.

"So this is the time for action and I, along with the chairman and Andy Ambler, am going to make as many changes as possible to give our fans the type of team they want to see play.

"We're going to make some decisions to change this around – it's what I'm paid to do. The atmosphere around the place has gone right back to how it was before arrived.

"I've been brought here to make sure we have a team that works hard, keeps fighting and always does a stint.

"This is my Millwall now, and if there are people just content to see out their contracts they're messing with the wrong person.

"I can only say I apologise for the other night because I have never seen one of my teams capitulate like that.

"There was only one player who came out with any credit who will be out of contract. The supporters will probably know who that was and won't be surprised.

"I'm sure he will be rewarded in due course.

"I just want what you want – a team that works its socks off and believes they can win even when the odds are against them, not one that capitulates and gives in.

"I want to see some new faces in with a fresh attitude.

"A few weeks ago we appeared to have a bit about us, to come back from two or three behind in games, albeit you could argue we shouldn't have been so far behind in the first place.

"Clearly we need to look at our back line and bring some people in to freshen that up because we've got to stop goals going in, and then look at other areas.

"I think you'll see in the next couple of weeks that we will bring things to a conclusion for all those out of contract and waiting for a decision.

"Before the other night I thought I saw a glimmer of hope that some of them did want to prove something, but enough is enough.

"If the prize at stake at Bradford wasn't enough for them to do what was needed, to adjust to losing a player and respond with some pride and passion, then there is something fundamentally wrong with them.

"I'm now going to use my experience of 19 years as a manager to get some players here who will be proud to wear the Millwall shirt."

64 thoughts on “Millwall chairman will continue to support squad rebuild

• January 16, 2015 at 14:55

yeh,yeh,yeh, action not words ollie. pull yer finger out!!!

• January 17, 2015 at 10:07

@TONY BLOCK28: I'm in the keep ollie manager brigade. all i was saying is ollie keep your trap shut, do what you have to do getting rid of the dross, but keep it in house cause the squad is already on its knees, we need your experience as a manager to get results not the same old excuses week in week out. get us playing winning football and keep us up.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:57

JB lets hope he does not waste any more of your money buying any more of the type of dross he has signed before, also lets hope that when he uses his 19 years of experience with other managers, he does not buy any magic beans like the Jack he seems to be.

• January 16, 2015 at 22:23

@Barnlion: has he signed dross tho? His signings are a damn sight better than the ginger of whom we no longer speak.

I would sack off all those out of contract now and tell them to stay away from training. They only injure themselves and each other when they are there anyhow. Don't even let them train with the kids. They're a bad influence and dangerous to train with.

Just choose from a squad that you intend to keep, promote some more youth and get signing. Not too many loans. Need players that want to be here long term and stay up.

I'd keep Dunne, Shittu and Abdou in the squad. Despite recent performances, they don't deserve to be humiliated by the club. The rest can go sort themselves out

• January 17, 2015 at 08:20

@roders: Dunne is one of the main problems. He has to go asap as far as I'm concerned.

• January 16, 2015 at 15:02

This is a quite warning shot to holloway
    "But they have identified the problem ..."

• January 16, 2015 at 15:02

As I mentioned on a previous article on here, I'm fully behind Holloway for tomorrow and moving forward. I really think he understands now that we have too much dross in our squad and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of our so called 'big names' be shipped out.

I thought the beginning of the transfer window was a shock as we've been very busy, I now think the next 2 weeks could be even busier ...

COYL

• January 16, 2015 at 15:06

Lets hope the one to be rewarded is jimmy because he is the only one that gives it his all every game and with these signings maybe Gregory will get some help up front

• January 16, 2015 at 15:07

Gotta trust and back JB... He's backed us.

Lets get behind things changes and judge after a month of Ollie settling in these new players

Coyl

• January 16, 2015 at 15:08

We already have players that are proud to wear the lion on there chest but its no good if IH keeps leaving then out of the team, decide on your best back four and dont keep changing it then maybe we will have something to build on

• January 16, 2015 at 15:40

Dunne and Jimmy for me. Tho Dunne is millwall thru n thru yet still the worse captain for a long while

• January 16, 2015 at 15:12

Forward it is then bye bye dead wood COYL we want our wall back full support best thing that could of happened

• January 16, 2015 at 15:12

Who was he talking about of those out of contract only one who came out with any credit? I'm guessing Jimmy but wasn't there anyone know?

• January 16, 2015 at 15:58

@deano22: I was wondering about that. Presumably the reward will be a new contract in the summer so it must be a player who will be out of contract then. I wasn't there, so I can't really tell from the highlights but of the players out of contract I only saw effort from Chaplow in the highlights. Jimmy looked washed out to me. Does anyone who was there ahve an idea who teh player he has singled out is?

• January 16, 2015 at 22:22

@deano22: I was at Bradford game and it's Jimmy for sure, he was better that our other 9 left on the pitch on his own

• January 16, 2015 at 15:14

Lets get behind the team and Holloway,they need us.
    Hopefully Holloway takes note and realises to get everyone behind the team ,he needs to rid it of the weak backbone and the players that have underperformed for weeks.
    The new players must come in,and we need furthur addition quickly especially another GK,CB,CM and striker.
    Possibly a team alon the lines of
    Forde (only option at moment)
    Cummings Wilkinson (played for Stoke more centrally) Nelson Harding
    Martin abdou upson Fabbrini
    Gregory Maierhoffer

Hopefully next week,Williams and Cowan hall will Come in

• January 16, 2015 at 16:52

@foresthill: We still need a ball winner/ enforcer, we are too lightweight even with the new signings apart from Hof, we get bullied off the ball too easily and can't win it back.
      BAILEY IS NOT THE ANSWER!

• January 16, 2015 at 20:50

@Sealion: got to say I agree with you there Sealion - Though it might not be top of priorities.. CB/ST... - I liked the look of that fella from Leeds (Rudy?)... it's the sort of player we need at MFC to break up the play and press higher up the field.. Not really had that since Bailey got injured... Abdou does a good job, but he is pretty much on his own in that respect IMO...
        On the subject of Bailey - will Ollie keep him?? Is he one of those out of contract??
        If he is out of contract, can Ollie justify keeping him on the books for how many appearances he's made? Be interesting to see what he decides to do there.....

• January 16, 2015 at 22:32

@Luke ColdBlow10: When he first came I had great hopes for him and even thought he would make a good captain but what with his fitness issues, weight problems, disciplinary record and the fact that he seems to be made of glass we have had little more than a handfull of games out of him each season he has been here. He has been paid a very good wage for very little contribution and seems to be a permanent fixture in the treatment room. When he does eventually make the pitch he is totally lacking in match fitness and only manages a couple of games before breaking down again, the team plays most of the season without him so he is no loss at all and his wages can go to someone who will actually turn up and put a full shift in on a regular basis. This has been a problem over the last few years, too many wage thieves leeching us of much needed funds.

• January 16, 2015 at 22:28

@Sealion: agreed. Bailey could have been the answer but unless he comes back fitter and stronger, doesn't have the time to earn a new contract.

• January 16, 2015 at 15:18

Would you class this as the dreaded 'Vote of Confidence'? which means the next 3 games are his most important ever in the past 19 years!

• January 16, 2015 at 22:30

@vonhardshaft: no. I think he means to stick by holloway and let him rebuild. No matter what division that is in.

• January 16, 2015 at 15:30

Do you know how lucky we are to have a chief like JB most would be running for the hills by now ,lets support him 100%

• January 16, 2015 at 15:38

must be abdou for new contract

personally going forward would release these at the end of their contracts and get rid of some in contract!
    Dunne,Beevers,Shittu,Briggs,Woolford,Mcdonald (not effective),Chaplow,Bailey(injuries),Forde,Fuller,Marquis

sqd to remain Cummings,Siafa,Nelson,Webster,Goodman,Fred,abdou,upson,williams,Cowan Hall,Martin,obrien,gregory
    Need new GK,CH,CM,CF
    To decide Fabbrini,Wilkinson,Maierhoffer,King,Gerrar,Harding

• January 16, 2015 at 15:40

Fabrini only a loan till April 19

• January 16, 2015 at 15:59

@foresthill: To be honest, King would inspire more confidence. A risk throwing a young keeper in there, but really can we continue with Forde with the way he is playing?

• January 16, 2015 at 20:21

@junkmale: totally agree with you ,,,,,ford is not doing it at the Mo or hasn't for a long while ,,,,, give the Boy a chance & bring him on with our youngsters they are our future & at the moment our only hope ,,, onwards C O Y L

• January 16, 2015 at 21:50

@ascot lion: quite insulting to King if he's seen as not good enough to replace a keeper making constant mistakes.

Because if Forde starts again to me that's saying King is really not rated by Ollie.

• January 16, 2015 at 16:09

Be a nice way to start the rebuild with a good performance tomorrow COYL

• January 16, 2015 at 16:12

sorry but i'm not interested in holloway anymore, but i will be there tomorrow cheering on the 11 + that will be wearing the shirt ! to me holloway is just as much, if not more to blame for the position we are in than the players are. but he has not had the bo##ocks to stand up and admit it because of his ego, he has done the cowardly thing and turned on 'his' players!

• January 16, 2015 at 17:49

I was very much for wanting him sacked. But talking to people and listening to others. I am prepared to give the fella time. He is unfortunate that the players he has inherited simply don't wanna play for him and take no notice of him. Listen to the last lions live radio and maybe ur mind will change

• January 16, 2015 at 16:12

To be honest I was cling for IH to resign on a previous post, but after reading what JB has to say along with some of the most recent posts, I now think that calling for him to resign would be a massive step backwards, just please stop all the changes & give the new & young-blood a good run in the side, coz 85% of previous teams have proven there just not worthy of the shirt or up for the fight! So welcome All you new members of our squad and thanks for nothing & good riddance to all the wage thiefs. Mon u Walllll!! COYL's

• January 16, 2015 at 16:37

Yes it was Jimmy, I was there and it couldn't have been anyone else. At least he looked bothered and won some headers and tackles.

• January 16, 2015 at 17:20

The one good thing to come out of this(if the word of IH and club officials is to be believed)is that some of the parasites that have infested the squad will finally be given the massive kick up the b******* they deserve

• January 16, 2015 at 17:57

I was furious on Wednesday, I was embarrassed even more after spending the days leading up to the game mouthing off at work to anybody who would listen about how we were off to Stamford Bridge to show them what real fans were about.

I was very vocal about the need for this regime to end and for IH to man up, admit it didn't work out regardless of his best intentions and leave.

This clearly is not viable so the only solace I can take is from the fighting talk in this article. He better be true to his words now and get this mess sorted by sacking off the dead wood and at very least installing some fight and pride back where it should be.

• January 16, 2015 at 22:36

@JonnyBanks: we'll said. Sensible fans were telling work colleagues how the fa would never let Chelsea Millwall go ahead. The 6 minute sending off was 'obvious' proof of that :-)

• January 17, 2015 at 09:10

@roders: No no no not having that Rooney you plonker, even Aldo reported we were getting terrorised before the sending off. We're we robbed by the FA against Middlesbrough and Norwich too.

We were and are poor until proven otherwise, let's hope that's proven soon, but don't blame it on conspiracy theories ffs.

• January 16, 2015 at 18:13

Wouldn't it be refreshing to read an article where the manager actually looks at his performance and team selection and holds his hands up to his mistakes he constantly plays players out of position or leaves players out that are performing well . He is starting to sound a bit desperate with his My Millwall b******* I have defended him to the hilt on NAD but the crap talk has to stop and the fixing needs to start tomorrow, please don't take us for a bunch of idiots Ollie your record at our club is terrible we appreciate you inherited a weak squad but you have had a year to fix that so lets hope the five new lads coming in are the beginning of that only time will tell .

• January 16, 2015 at 18:35

On Wednesday for the second time in my life I wanted Millwall to lose (first V Blackburn 1987, stop Palace getting in to the play offs) as I couldn't take the embarrassment of the score line V Chelsea. Don't get me wrong its not easy to say that but with the way we've been defending, it could easily have been double figures. I still thin IH is the right choice to take us forward once he gets rid of the deadwood. This hasn't happened overnight, this started under KJ. He saw what was happening and couldn't stop it. Lomas came tried, failed and then left. When you look at things whoever is in charge can get them training how they want but if the players don't put it in during a game, what chance has any manager got. Dunne, Shittu, Beevers, Webster and Williams have been in the game long enough as centre halves and they are all preety good in the air, so why do we concede so many goals from set pieces. Forde is having a mare at the moment but is it because he is under attack from the first whistle, has the last three years of being constantly on the back foot caught up with him? He needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while, but we've no experienced keeper to challenge him at the moment, so can't be rested. With the new players coming in the next few weeks will be crucial, but if at the end of the season we finish in the bottom three then so be it. We've made a couple of signings that are the right age and with the current groups of young players breaking through maybe a year in League 1 will do us good. Remember KJ very rarely gave any youngsters a chance, Lomas wasn't here long enough but IH has done this and from what I've seen the future is very bright if we can keep these young players together. As for tomorrow I don't expect us to get much from the game, but lets be the like the the Millwall of old. At Blackpool some fans were singing "we want our Millwall back" so lets bring it back. Back the team form start to finish, don't worry about any mistakes that might be made, don't worry if your favorite player is dropped or your the one you can't stand is starting. Get behind the team, make it uncomfortable for Ipswich, make them wish for the final whistle so they can get on the coach home. It's happened before and you've seen teams melt but if you start on your own players it'll be an easy win for Ipswich.
    KEEP ROARING

• January 16, 2015 at 18:47

@uncle albert: Fabulous post !! Can you pop in the changing 15mins before kick off and do the team talk Uncle Albert

• January 16, 2015 at 18:47

• January 16, 2015 at 21:56

@uncle albert: Haha, can't say I WANTED us to lose uncle albert! But I know where you're coming from... The money would've been great for us, let alone the trip to Chelsea.. but even so, I didn't 'feel the magic' going into the Bradford game... mainly because we still wouldn't have been able to use any of our new signings... Chelsea would've destroyed us..

Anywho, onwards and upwards, very much looking forward to seeing what our new signings are like tomorrow - they 'should' bring width and pace to both sides of the pitch and we have a BIG target for them to aim at in the box... (annoying that Paris is injured, coz IMO, he's our 'one to watch' going forward..)
      Ready to back em to the end 2moro - just hope whoever plays makes it easy for us to do so!!

Great post.
      COYL!!

• January 16, 2015 at 18:54

The next run of games could get worse before hopefully we get better,theirs still going to be some dead wood playing in our next two home games that know they will be on their wAy,so again with the players he's hopeing to get in they still have to gel, yes I know we need to string results together but at least the deadwood ie mc Donald,shittu,Beevers, woolford,fuller will be out the door.

• January 16, 2015 at 18:57

Haha! He's such a cock! He looked a broken, worn out, deshevilled man the other day! Now JB has said that he's straight back to giving it billy big b*******! "MY MILLWALL?" I don't f****** think so Ollie. Never will be! Same old Friday night pre-match b*******! Yada yada yada!

• January 16, 2015 at 19:27

@kempo_123: It all depends on your point of view ( how he looked after the match).......

maybe it was the look of somebody who had been let down big time, by players who he has continued to give ...yet another chance to

maybe it was the look of a man who actually cares !!!!!!!!!!!....unlike some of the players we have on our books, who we know have let us down and will never be forgiven.

maybe it was the look of a man whoi was getting ready to tell a few players that they had played their last game for Millwall

• January 16, 2015 at 21:01

Carlos Edwards getting injured has been a massive factor too. Great player, great attitude, model professional who leads by example with his actions and application as opposed to Fuller who talks the talk but walks like an OAP. More players in Edwards mould will see us in a much much better place.

• January 16, 2015 at 21:35

If you know what players are going don't ever pick em again just play players you want to keep week in week out same formation let them gel ffs

• January 16, 2015 at 22:44

@bobthelion: exactly. We are better of with a youngster than keeping anyone not being offered a contract in the squad.

• January 16, 2015 at 22:45

Does anyone no the deal with jake goodman? if we have a recall option, I'd use it.

• January 17, 2015 at 23:12

@roders: No idea on the Goodman deal mate. However, the fact we've loaned him out and gotten rid of Robbo who is 100% a better CB than Dunne when we are in desperate need of a defender to command just proves how useless IH is. Powell has some really good games and he's dropped? Fred was even better, he gets loaned out to score every week for Wycombe. IH can't choose the same team twice. Sticks by Forde and Dunne for an unknown reason. What a clown

• January 16, 2015 at 23:48

Prove you are millwall IH and out that s*** dunne he is just taking the money mate

• January 17, 2015 at 08:32

@lionheart: Well said lionheart, he has been a cancer at this club for many years.

• January 17, 2015 at 09:52

It's the first time I've seen IH quoted as if he has read this forum.

• January 17, 2015 at 16:18

All you dunne lovers don't give a tick about my team millwall you f****** mugs