Small details make Maierhofer feel at home with Millwall

STEFAN Maierhofer turned down big-money offers from clubs around the world to come back to Millwall.

Greece, Australia, Switzerland, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan were all possible destinations for the striker – but he had his heart set on returning to the Lions.

Maierhofer did not want to leave The Den in the first place and was disappointed when talks with Millwall broke down last summer, after he had helped keep the club in the Championship.

But he insists financial demands did not cause those negotiations to stall. He just wanted somewhere to live, something to drive and, it turned out, a club suit.

"The last time I was here I had my old suit from when I played for the national team but the rest of the players were wearing new ones," Maierhofer told the Southwark News.

"I thought 'f***k, look at these cool guys and then look at me in my old suit!' So I spoke to David Forde and he told me the players all have the same suits.

"The club have said I can have one this time and I have to go to Waterloo to pick it up."

It may seem trivial but these small details will make Maierhofer feel part of the furniture – and they weren't part of the package offered to him in the summer

"My agent handled it for me last time – there were some points that weren't quite perfect.

"But this time the club have said I can get an apartment and a car – it's not about the money because it's the same as before, but last time I lived in a hotel and that was a little bit crazy.

"Maybe I waited a bit too long for other offers but I spoke to the gaffer a couple of times and we found a solution. It's a good club with good people and good players.

"We have 21 games left and I think we can do what we did last year."

Maierhofer has been playing for Austrian side SC Wiener Neustadt in recent months but always hoped to move on in January.

"I had loads of offers," he said. "Some of the offers I had were crazy because clubs in some countries pay f****ing good money.

"But for me the quality of the club and the division is more important. London is a beautiful city and I wanted to play for this club. I wanted to be back here.

"Over half the team is the same from last year so I know everyone and that's helpful. It helps me settle into the team more quickly and training is easier.

"I've been training every day in Austria, I played four games out there and I've been doing my own pre-season programme.

"From the last 30 minutes against Blackpool, you can see that I'm a lot fitter than last time. I feel good."

56 thoughts on “Small details make Maierhofer feel at home with Millwall

• January 16, 2015 at 12:37

April 1st came round quickly this year

• January 16, 2015 at 13:20

@thecolumbusblock: Turning down lucrative moves to Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Australia - now we know for sure he's 100% committed to Millwall. Did we offer Chris Wood a free suit too?

• January 16, 2015 at 12:38

Good feeling about the big guy this season. Don't care what went on during the Summer, he is now here and a Millwall player. Sounds like he is very determined to do better so he could turn out to be a useful player.

For me he needs to play up top alongside Gregory. Defenders will have to stick two on him which gives Gregory a bit more space to do what we all know he can do.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:40

@slb.: Spot on!

I think too much has been made of last summer, he wants to be here now and if he gives 100% every week I'm sure it will work out!

• January 16, 2015 at 12:48

@slb.: spot on mate but it will be fuller on he's own up front.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:51

@slb.: Hopefully he will start Hoff with Gregory cos as you say 2 on Hoff will give Gregory space.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:47

Stefan I am glad that you want to play for our club and to prove it you turned down big money offers from several other clubs around the world, all I can say is that you really must want to play to for us and I hope you get an opportunity to play with Lee Gregory up front, and once again safe us from the drop.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:50

The bit about him pickin up his suit from waterloo scares me but who knows, I've always believed in this bloke and just hope he can find his way and start create some havac around the goals. Let's really jump on and drive this revival. You guys are renowned world wide as ferociously loyal and hard line supporters. Millwall noise for the boys.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:54

Any chance us supporters can have a suit as well?
    Please bang in some goals Twizzle, and we might all chip
    in and buy you another suit if we stay up.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:57

Loves a f****** swear up.
    Should fit in again just fine.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:00

Last chance saloon for Holloway. I'll give him this last chance to show how he wants to play it with his players. Don't mind if they win, lose or draw as long as we see some real guts and determination missing for so many weeks. If we do then Holloway stand up, show who's in charge and dump that old rotten core. If you go back to the old ways and players, then it proves to me you have no idea.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:01

Dont rate him as people probably already know but like the interview, its original to hear players throw in a couple of fcks. Hope he plays quality and proves me wrong!! Good luck Hof you'll need it playing with them wnkers.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:01

Sod the suite the apartment and the car just score goals maybe Fuller might learn something instead of being a complete pratt

• January 16, 2015 at 13:19

Fuller is our top scorer and his reaction was wrong but how many of us would do the same if you really care and doing your best but it is still going wrong. With the fans giving it large, something snaps, as an ex mechanic, I know many's the time I have thrown things across the garage when a car will just not run right despite by best efforts, Ricardo's gesture was his spanner.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:41

@lennie the lion:if one of your workers stuck 2 fingers up at yer.then continued to show what a s*** he is..i think one of those flying spanners would be aimed at him..

• January 16, 2015 at 14:17

@Jim28: Happened many times sort of Jim, my normal way of dealing with it was to have a one to one over a burger away from the rest of the lads once things calmed down. We each gave our point of view and the lad would realise, as the 'guvner', I was right, if it happened again then there would be repercussions and no burger. But that is putting me in the position of Ollie not the customer/fans, and I assume that is more or less what happened to Fuller. If the guy did it in front of a customer he would be given a chance to say sorry I would then smooth it over with the guy, a discount etc and move on. If it happened again once again there would be repercussions, Fuller has apologised to the fans so I would leave it at that for now, and Ollie can give us a win tomorrow to say sorry.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:31

@lennie the lion: the thing is .he has'nt said sorry to the fans he has said sorry to holloway & that is because he knows olly would drop him..if he was truely sorry we would of had him on here by now..not as if i want a oplogy from any player cos we are millwall we dont care

• January 16, 2015 at 14:37

@Jim28: Can we agree Jim that if he scores tomorrow, or at least does his best, we all hug and make up.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:35

@lennie the lion: Yeah too much is being made of it, he lost his rag and struck out, I bet he was getting plenty of stick at the time and we are all adults that can take it. I would draw a line if a player did that to the family stand but that didn't happen, end of!

• January 16, 2015 at 13:22

let me get this right, (just in case ive miss read this) he didn't re-sign because he didn't get a suite a company car and a flat? are the thousands of pounds he must be on a week not enough to buy all of the above or have john lewis up the prices of suites ?? never the less welcome back and good luck

• January 16, 2015 at 17:02

@Jim28:

just wanted to check, might ask my boss if he can pay my rent, travel expenses, etc if that's the done thing these days think of the money I could save, might put it towards a striker,,, a proven goal scorer I mean, for the greater good and all that

COYL

• January 16, 2015 at 13:27

He has to start this Saturday....

Forde
    Cummings Webster shittu Harding
    Martin fabbrini Martinez geuye
    Gregs Hoff

• January 17, 2015 at 03:25

@Brooks88:
        How? Unless your being sarcastic ? ..... Can't see that midfield winning many headers or tackles, plus 2 players out of position. Fabbrini is a winger and gueye prefers to play as an attacking midfielder. That won't be the team anyway so I won't panic.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:39

@les the lion: Like the look of that side but I would play King in goal. I would rather have a sack of cement than Forde in goal at the moment.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:28

Ollies interview on millwall web site sounds like we're dumping the dross who have no a hole nearly a whole team by the sounds of things.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:42

Hope the tailors got a long tape measure and ladder !

• January 16, 2015 at 14:01

Hahaha! He half sounds a bit dinny talking like this but I must say, I'm a bit excited to see him get amongst it again.

Always said that Gregory needed to be a regular with someone next to him who can hold it up/knock it down for him. Someone who would be a big pest for defenders. Step forward the Hof.

No he isn't amazing, but he is what we need I suppose. Cos we aren't gonna get a 20 goal a season striker anytime soon now are we?

• January 16, 2015 at 14:20

Had to laugh at this, brightened up my friday!

• January 16, 2015 at 14:25

@ LENNIE THE LION: have a look at my brakes Len .

• January 16, 2015 at 14:27

Aaaaaahhh Hoff, you gotta love the guy. Effing and blinding and all he ever wanted was a new 'whistle'. hahah this is making me chuckle. Anyway, wilkommen zurueck nach Bermondsey meine Freund, und Gluckwunsch fur die Saison.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:31

On another point, I heard that Shittu and Webster went to the away fans at Bradford and stood taking the criticism for some time after the final whistle. I know it s a small gesture, but I was impressed to hear that they did that. That is not the behavior of someone hiding from the consequences of their actions. Both went up in my estimations. did anyone else see that and did any of the other players show the same responsibility?

• January 16, 2015 at 14:42

@glyngo: Shittu, Webster, Upson, Martin and maybe Woolford. The rest can take a hike

• January 16, 2015 at 14:54

Does this mean we are not going to sign a striker this month we have only 3 available we'll 4 if include o'brian. We should of signed Freddie Sears he has just gone to Ipswich got 300k

• January 16, 2015 at 15:46

Your telling me that other teams actually wanted him f*** that

• January 16, 2015 at 16:17

What a load of ol bol@ocks..This whole interview is absolute nonsense i bet this cu@ts got his mum living with him n allsorts..what a joke..hoff u need to man up n look after ur fu@kin self,wasteman

• January 16, 2015 at 17:28

Would ******ing love it if he ****ing well has to do the *****ing tv interview and ***ing tell it how it is. Has ANYONE ever been quoted like The Hoff has in this "interview" with him? Surely the editor in chief knows it's unusual to leave ***ing references to the **** word for ****'s sake. ****

• January 16, 2015 at 17:55

I can only hope Hoff that in 6 months time you look round and know hardly any of the team because most of them should be gone , as for all the clubs offering you massive amounts of cash we have a saying in south London ..never kid a kidder
    Hope to see banging hem goals in ASAP

• January 16, 2015 at 18:00

@ LENNY THE LION: yeah, know exactly what you mean , nice one mate

• January 16, 2015 at 18:47

C'mon guys give this guy a break.... yes it broke down in the summer BUT how many players would come back after it falling apart and being tin the position we are in.

He did a job last season and he is now back to do it again.

If he keeps us up I will send some money back to the UK and buy him a new suit. Maybe some others could chip in and we could get him a Mark 1 escort for a car although we may have to pull out the front seat so he could sit in the back and drive as it could be a bit of a squeeze.

Hold up the ball, create some space for Gregory (which is what fuller is meant to do) and I think we will see some more goals going in. don't expect miracles as these guys have only been training together a week or so but think this could be the start of the season for us ....just like this time last year.

MMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLWWWWWWAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• January 16, 2015 at 20:03

@Kiwimillwall: I get my new motor in 2 weeks but don't suppose the mini c will help for the big fella !!!! He would be more than welcome to it . Keep us up & I will start the whip round to get you a R R !!!!! Come on boys 3 points tomorrow onwards ,,,,,, C O Y L

• January 16, 2015 at 18:58

The big man breath of fresh air back to the Den!! Just needs to hit that net

• January 16, 2015 at 19:42

They should off given him a suit the last time , at least now his gettin a nice new suit and can feel part off the team and I also so hope that holloway has some sense and plays him tomorrow

• January 16, 2015 at 22:50

Great another fruit loop to join the circus. *

• January 17, 2015 at 09:45

He's a bit of a character isn't he? Does he suffer from Tourettes? Don't think he'll be invited to any of the Junior Lions parties.

Sounds like his negotiations went a little bit like another Austrian when Arnie said in Terminator 2: "I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle".

"I need a car, an apartment, and von of zose snazzy suits...".

Still, we need some characters to pick the place up right now, let's hope he does job for us.

• January 17, 2015 at 12:48

I've lived most my adult life in non-English-speaking countries and it is amazing how the F word is thrown around like it is acceptible in professional situtions, including interviews like this. Not great for kids who look up to him, or for most adults who are having to look up to him.