Millwall manager excited by arrival of Watford's Fabbrini

©
©

IAN Holloway believes Millwall have signed a player of a "very, very high standard" in Watford's Diego Fabbrini.

Fabbrini is training with the Lions this morning after penning a 93-day loan deal and the Italian international could go straight into the side to face Ipswich tomorrow.

As revealed by NewsAtDen, Millwall fought off late interest from Bolton to land the 24-year-old, who Holloway says can operate in a number of different positions.

"He can play in the pocket, on the left or on the right – any one of the front three," Holloway said.

"He's a wonderful kid and he's wanted to come to us before but it didn't quite happen then.

"He's got another two-and-a-half years on his contract so we're borrowing him. He's played for the international side once before so I think he'll be a great signing for us.

"It's not easy to find players who are so eager to learn and this kid is as fresh as a daisy.

"Diego hasn't had much game time for Watford but he's been asking to play for their U21s, which shows a fantastic attitude.

"I met Diego on Tuesday – I really liked him, he wants to learn and he's already of a standard that is very, very high.

"He was bought for €4million when he was 21, which tells you a lot about his potential. He has been on our wall of targets all year."

53 thoughts on “Millwall manager excited by arrival of Watford's Fabbrini

• January 16, 2015 at 09:49

That's because he probably thinks its a new fabric softener.

• January 16, 2015 at 11:53

@nocalves: If he was as good as Ollie is saying why are only us and Bolton in for him, lets face it we are both at the wrong end of the table for anyone with ambition, but I hope he can prove me wrong, as I do regarding Holloway as well.

• January 16, 2015 at 13:13

@bobthelion: Ci dispiace , ma Ian Holloway me ha giocato in difesa!! - **Sorry, but Ian Holloway played me in defence!!

• January 16, 2015 at 09:54

93 day loan - so couldn't play in the play offs then!!

• January 16, 2015 at 09:59

Ollie can play him in the pocket....what the hell does that mean......

• January 16, 2015 at 10:55

@SE17 Lion: It means he'll fit in to any combination of formations Holloway likes to play that none of us understand. You know the ones that don't work. :-)

• January 16, 2015 at 11:06

@Peckham exile: In the pocket = gap between two forces, i.e. midfielders and strikers. Basically what he wanted McDonald to do but failed

• January 16, 2015 at 11:44

@sketchybean: Cheers Sketchy, It was SE17 Lion asking not me. I was giving him my tongue in cheek reply.

• January 16, 2015 at 14:07

@Peckham exile: He'll be sitting behind the forwards and in front of the Midfield. Like he's tried Macdonald

• January 16, 2015 at 09:59

So why're Watford loaning him out?
    If he's struggling to settle in England or to adapt to our game coming here with the atmosphere around the place is gonna be hard?
    Really hope he & the other new signings spark something but feel we're to far gone for you to get things going Holloway?
    Above all, now you have to new potentially capable full backs please settle a defence whether they gave bad games & build some bloody stability from there!
    I want it to worj for you but all this tactical/ selection f@$ckin fidgeting about is bloody ridiculous, find a best side esp defensively & keep changes minimal!

• January 16, 2015 at 10:02

I recall him saying very similar things about Ranagie!I pray it will be different this time,every signing is gonna have to hit the bullseye for us to have any chance.

• January 16, 2015 at 10:02

Two & work?
    There's a reason i rarely post,Twonk!

• January 16, 2015 at 10:11

I am excited for tomorrow, Ipswich are a good team but with the new boys coming in I think we could nick it or at least a draw. Shame Cowan hall is out but this will be the turning point of our season and in March all the IH haters will be saying we look ok now. I think we have a lot of problems but sacking IH would make things even worse, no manager is out there that we would want and they would have just a few days max of the transfer window. sack IH and guarantee relegation or keep IH and we have a chance to stay up!

• January 16, 2015 at 11:43

@whiteliont:
      I agree with you sack IH now would give little chance for a new manager coming in to save us from what appears to be a lost cause.
      May be I am misguided but I believe given time with IH our club we will progress in the right direction. Let's be honest here what he inherited would put off most new managers coming to us. We had a sh*t squad with many players failing to achieve the grade of League 2 let alone the championship all on unbelievable contracts.
      However, his performance over the last 12 months is clearly cause for concern. We can all question his team selection and tactics. He continues to tinker with his formations and does not appear happy unless he is playing players out of position. Bradford he clearly got it wrong. No one has explained to me why having been reduced to 10 men within 6 minutes, losing a CB he waited until HT to bring on a recognised CB. To my simple knowledge of the game these do appear to be fundamental errors.
      Nevertheless, his signings on very low budget in the main seem to be good business. He does appear to be putting ideals in place behind the scenes to generate a good youth policy, which will be the foundations of a successful low budget club. One does have to question his management team as rumours about Bircham appear to indicate he is not the coach we would expect, particularly when considering his Millwall origins.
      Despite all these reservations I do like IH's attitude. I find it hard to believe that he is just here for the money and does not care about our Club. It may be that I am completely naive but I remember a certain Mr Fergusons having a terrible first year with Man Utd, like him or not which I don't, look what he went on to achieve with his club. Clearly continually sacking the manager is not the answer.

• January 16, 2015 at 10:12

Excuse me if I do not too excited, as we have seen all this before. Hopefully all these new signings will make a difference, but I bet most of them will be on the bench and Dunne & co will still play. We still need another goalkeeper and centre back. Please.

• January 16, 2015 at 10:15

Italian international so ha some decent pedigree, to be honest at this stage I think we should try anything to get a result. Welcome to the club Diego and looking forward to seeing you in the first team very soon. Note to IH, please start playing him ASAP, and not wait a month to get him fit!!!!!!

• January 16, 2015 at 10:40

Looked a good goal, he made it look easy, But I think that was forde between the sticks, ffs ollie give king a chance.

• January 16, 2015 at 10:44

So this will be Holloways team then, should be 442 but wont hold my breath!
    Forde
    cummings webster ???? harding
    fabbrini upson martinez gueye
    hoff gregory
    williams and paris and edwards not available .

• January 16, 2015 at 12:06

@eio:
        thats who i would pick, but this wasnt my team, its holloways signings, and as he slated the team on wednesday, i cant see many of them'playing' for him . but i dont go along with this theory that there are a few 'wronguns' in the squad that happens in all teams when things go wrong, , i think they are now demoralised with the continual chopping and changing of players and formations!

• January 16, 2015 at 10:50

I have, like most, been calling for a settled side, but perhaps bringing in the new fresh faces who do not have a this feeling of doom which has been over the club for the last twenty or so matches is the only way to get out of this situation. Actually looking forward to tomorrow now, just one good win and it will all start to look a lot different. Keep the faith, enjoy the ride, this is what we do and how we do it never been any different for the last fifty years I have been going to the Den, always either very good or just plain awful.

• January 16, 2015 at 11:00

Got to say that's a quality goal very composed I just hope he is not injured by this time next week welcome to Millwall Diego im sure your the most expensive player we have ever had in a Millwall shirt ? ... no pressure

• January 16, 2015 at 11:13

Personally, I like the look of this guy! He might not be your typical 'Millwall' player but lets face it we need all the help we can get right now and I'd like to see him given a chance. He does however, seem a bit of a 'Scott McDonald' type player which suggests to me McDonald could be on his way out this January.

Personally I think we're going to see another 2 or 3 new players come into the squad with a few more departures (further cancellations of contracts or loans - I'd be surprised if we actually 'sell' anyone else. Fresh faces in the squad is probably the last throw of the dice for us as a club. We are going to fail the FFP, our current squad are low on confidence/not giving 100% and the fans are losing confidence/patience rapidly.

Mr Holloway, you talk a good game and you are 'hurting' like the fans BUT now is the time to get results, I'm still with you (just) as are some of our fans, now show the one's who don't want you here that you can get us out of this mess and start tomorrow by getting a performance at The Den.

Come on you Lions!!

• January 16, 2015 at 11:27

@ROWANONTHEWING: I think you'll find Martinez is injured,

• January 16, 2015 at 11:31

Any news yet on Leeds away anybody know? Last I heard was Yorkshire police were gonna lift restrictions. The way the tables looking at the minute this could be a massive game 14feb and we will need some good support up there. Ambler needs to stand up and be counted for once!

• January 16, 2015 at 11:52

@longsuttonlion:
      the fan on board was on lions live last night, and he said there would be no change to leeds away, he said we had 'offered' to kick off early, but they said it would affect their attendance figures !!!

• January 16, 2015 at 11:31

Forde
    Cummings shittu Briggs Harding
    Martin Abdou Fabrinni
    Gregory Gueye
    Hoff

• January 16, 2015 at 12:24

@block 28: Briggs may have the physique to play as a centre-half but he definitely doesn't have the discipline stay back. Reckon he could be converted there as time goes on.

• January 16, 2015 at 11:44

Sorry I am not taken in by Holloway's hype anymore, its designed to take minds off his appalling record. These loan signings are not the solution. Holloway's departure is.

• January 16, 2015 at 11:49

Here's he's record 9 in 118 games total and 1 in 23 for watford

• January 16, 2015 at 11:51

He also shoots when he should pass and passes when he should shoot

• January 16, 2015 at 11:59

Looking forward to seeing yours and a few others make their Millwall debut tomorrow. Shame about Cowan Hall not being ready.
    Return of the Hoff should be interesting.
    Up the Wall.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:05

@rowanonthewing7
    You forgot dunne and Fuller IH cannot start a game without one or the other.

• January 16, 2015 at 12:31

@jim1222: dunne will play(its the law).as for full of it he can do one...if your down sat see you & foxy in the blu

• January 16, 2015 at 12:21

It's a good signing, hopefully not the last though as we still need a centre-half. Although can't see us signing a striker now, rather we gave O'Brien a proper go.

Interesting to see where Holloway plays him and in what formation. As desperate as we are to play a simply 4-4-2, I can see him playing a 4-2-3-1 like:

----------------- Gregory -------------------
    Paris ---------- Fabbrini ---------- Gueye
    ----------- Upson ---- Williams -----------
    Harding - Shittu - Nelson - Cummings
    -------------------- Forde --------------------

• January 16, 2015 at 12:30

Now's the time for Holloway to prove to us that there may be a rotten core. If he fields his players and plays his way and gets a decent result them maybe he's right. If there is the same no spirit, no guts and no idea again then f**k off!

• January 16, 2015 at 13:35

@AireLys: I too think that there maybe a certain element in the team that is manifesting negativity, which is probably why IH may have sent some of our youngsters away until the end of the season to stop them being consumed by negativity. I cannot imagine that MB is a positive coach...did'nt he join us just after the start of the season? which coincides with the poorest run in Millwall history?

• January 16, 2015 at 13:42

@vonhardshaft: If there is why doesn't he show some guts and come out and say it? Be a manager. Get back the supporters on his side by being more open, if he has a rotten core expose them or chuck them out, don't defend them!

• January 16, 2015 at 13:22

Fabbrini is the 17th player IH has signed since he joined the club and there are only about 10 players left who were signed by Lomas and Jackett. These 10 players are nearly all out of contract in the Summer. Of the 17 players signed by him how many appear in the starting eleven each week? Is he indicating that Webster and Upson not up to standard for instance how often does Guerey start a match. There are often more of his signings on the bench than in the first team so why did he sign these players?

• January 16, 2015 at 15:52

Bywater signs for Doncaster and is likely to go straight into the starting line-up for Saturday's Yorkshire derby with Barnsley...Straight down the bookies and putting a fiver on Barnsley to win!!